Ketogenic Diet For Diabetics is a specific diet that can really help diabetes. Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe For Diabetics? The ketogenic diet was actually developed in 1924, but was actually used as treatment for epilepsy. Most diets for type 2 diabetics are designed for weight loss and usually not by a high fat diet, but then again what diet isn’t created to lose weight, period?
But what the ketogenic diet and diabetes will have in common is that because it is a low carb, high fat diet, there shows the potential to change the way your body uses and stores energy which have an end result of decreasing your diabetes symptoms.
Ketogenic Diet For Diabetics
This particular diet also aids in reducing risk factors for epilepsy, stroke, Alzhemier’s disease, heart disease, and diabetes. With the ketogenic diet, your body enters ketosis, which is a metabolic state, and the body then uses ketone “bodies” for energy in lieu of glucose. These bodies are more of a constant source of energy than of glucose that gets its energy from carbohydrates.
Let’s talk about fat here
The truth is that too much fat is no good but I’m sure that you’re not surprised to hear that. Most but not all fats are essential for our health and are good for us. There’s more calories in in a gram of fat compared to carbohydrates and proteins, but they are the best of efficient energy available.
Promoting consuming foods such as vegetables, fish, healthy fats and oils, and meats is what the keto diet is all about. This particular diet is one that you can support long term. And recent studies have shown that by eating a diet that consists of a high fat, low carb diet as opposed to a high carb, low fat diet resulted in:
- Reduced insulin resistance and reduced blood sugar levels, which can reverse prediabetes and type 2 diabetes.
- Greatly reduced blood pressure which in turn also reduces the risk of stroke and heart attack.
- Reducing your triglycerides which is the amount of fat in your blood.
- Aids is losing more weight than if you were eating low fat.
- Your appetite decreasing. This is always a good thing!
- Improvement of good, HDL cholesterol levels.
- Your levels of energy remaining consistent throughout the day.
- You will feel full for a longer period of time and your constant level of energy is a result of most of your calories coming from fat, which is really slower to digest.
- If you’re eating low carbs, you’ll be eliminating blood sugar highs and lows and in turn you won’t feel disoriented and weak. This is a definite plus.
How it works
Since the ketogenic diet is very low in carbohydrates, you’ll be eating approximately 30 grams of carbs a day. This diet is good for diabetics because again it helps your body to get energy by burning body fat and you are producing the energy known as ketones. This will aid your body in its requirement for insulin which will benefit you if you have either type 1 or type 2 diabetes.
The ketogenic diet will help your body in the fat burning process so it has benefits for anyone looking to lose weight. Since carbohydrates are the culprits that raise your blood sugar more than anything else, you want to keep your carbohydrates low and eat a high fat content and have an average amount of protein.
This doesn’t mean that you should pack on the saturated fats. It’s the heart healthy fats that you are looking for such as nuts, seeds, fish, olive oil, eggs, and cottage cheese just to mention a few. There are others as well.
Caution about DKA and discussing with your physician first
Everything you do regarding your health should be discussed with your physician. You should ALWAYS sit down and talk about any diet so that they are on the same page as you. One of the reasons here is that by changing your energy source to fat instead of carbs can result in an increase in ketones in your bloodstream. Your doctor can describe this to you. You do not want an excess amount of ketones in the blood also known as DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis). This DKA is very serious and is considered a medical crisis!
Symptoms and alerts of DKA are:
- Having difficulty breathing
- Feeling of nausea
- Experiencing dry mouth
- Urinating frequently
- High blood sugar levels steadily
So you have to check your blood sugar levels frequently throughout the day. It’s that important. Make sure you have a reliable test kit at home so you can stay on top of it. And checking your blood pressure at home is always a good idea. It certainly won’t hurt to check it. In fact, it’s an awesome idea to do!
Foods to eat
It’s very beneficial to know what foods you should eat and should not be eating. Always use common sense while being on any diet. You may want to lose weight or help with your diabetes or both. Make a plan and stick to it. Sometimes along the way you may have to alter your plan because different things work for different folks. Making a plan is the best way to start.
So I’d like to list the foods in different groups to make it easier. I think that once you start and give it time to get used to, you’ll hopefully transition into it better. Not everything is for everyone. And if this is for you, then great! If it isn’t, then it isn’t. The bottom line for me is to hopefully help you become healthier through the ketogenic diet in losing weight and helping control your diabetes.
As I mentioned previously, you want to consume only an average amount of protein because excessive protein compared to fat will make your body break down protein for fuel instead of fat. This can diminish or even halt the ketosis process. Grass fed is always the better option too.
- Fish choices: catfish, salmon, cod, tuna, mackerel, and halibut.
- Poultry choices: turkey, duck, quail, and chicken.
- Shellfish choices: lobster, clams, mussels, and oysters.
- Egg choices: scrambled, deviled, boiled, or fried.
- Beef choices: ground beef, veal, stew meats, and steaks.
- Pork choices: ham, bacon, tenderloin, pork loin, and bacon.
Fat is what the ketogenic diet is all about, but it’s healthy fats not just any fat that is crucial here. You want your body to stay in the condition of ketosis of breaking down your healthy fats for energy in lieu of protein or carbohydrates. High quality fat is the goal here and it should be approximately seventy percent of your caloric intake.
One of the key factors with this diet is that because you’re looking for these fats, they are tasting and satisfy you and you can have a lot of them. But once again, it’s the healthy monounsaturated and saturated fats you need below:
- Oil choices: Olive oil, avocado oil, and coconut oil.
- Seeds and nuts choices: almonds and macadamia nuts are the best choices.
- Cocoa butter and coconut butter
- Egg yolks
You also want to keep in mind about decreasing your risk of any heart disease. So you’ll want to make sure that you get sufficient amounts of your Omega 6 and Omega 3 fatty acids to help with this. They are crucial in the function of your brain and nerves. Caution about excess Omega 6 though. Too much can cause inflammatory so be careful. Fish is your best choice for the Omega 3 fatty acids.
Nuts are good and they are healthy for you. But with nuts, you should be aware of carbs in pistachios, almonds and cashews. Also note that nuts do have a lot of calories too. Be careful. Just don’t overdo it.
Leafy greens are always the best choice, but here is a short list of what you can have that are very healthy for you:
- Spinach (my favorite, thanks Popeye!)
- Broccoli (my second favorite)
- Green beans
- Collard greens
- Brussel sprouts
- Bell peppers
- Spaghetti squash
I always talk about how good and how healthy fruit is for you but take notice! You have to not overdo it. Only small amounts of fruit should be on your list and the reason is SUGAR! So here is a list of the best low sugar fruits that are good choices:
Condiments and sauces
- Hot sauce
- Sauerkraut (no added sugar)
- Horseradish (yuck, sorry, I don’t like this one !)
- High fat salad dressings (no or low added sugars)
These foods must be avoided
- Alcoholic beverages. Cocktails, beer, wine, are all out.
- Artificial sweeteners. Anything such as Saccharin, Sucralose, or Aspartame.
- Tropical fruits and fruit juices. Bananas, pineapples,papayas, and mangos.
- Any refined fats including soybean, corn oil, cottonseed, canola, or sunflower oils.
- Milk. It is difficult to digest and lacks the good bacteria that you need. And it’s high in carbs as well.
- All grains are out. This list is quite extensive: bread, cookies, pasta, corn, barley, rice, buckwheat, crackers, cakes, ice cream, puddings, white potatoes, rye, wheat, and sugary drinks.
- Low carb and low fat products.
Why isn’t your ketogenic diet working?
- You’re not eating enough calories.
- You are not tracking your carbohydrates correctly.
- You aren’t keeping track of your protein.
- Are you considering your nutrition?
- You have’t been testing your ketone levels.
Just make sure you’re doing what you’re supposed to be doing first and then regroup and make some changes. Sometimes you have to test and re-test what you’re doing. It may be just one or two simple adjustments.
So there’s the information for you to decide about the Ketogenic diet for Diabetics. If this is for you because as I said earlier, it’s not for everyone. Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe For Diabetics? The choice should be yours along with your physician’s. If you need help lowering your blood sugar numbers, this can really help you!
Whatever you decide, I would appreciate any comments or feedback and you can leave the below and I will get back to you pronto! Thanks for reading and stay healthy!
Check Out Below the Best Way
to End Your Diabetes For Good!
Please share on social media below and forward this to others who need help and please leave any questions or comments you may have below. I would love to interact with you. Thank you for reading and I appreciate it!
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Rothchild, Sascha (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 336 Pages - 04/19/2022 (Publication Date) - G.P. Putnam's Sons (Publisher)
- ✅ QUICK AND EASY TO USE: Care Touch blood sugar test kit delivers results in only 5 seconds with just a 0.5µL blood sample. There is no programming needed since our blood sugar monitor kit automatically recognizes batch codes encrypted on Care Touch glucose test strips. Our state-of-the-art glucometer kit with strips and lancets includes single-touch strip ejection, so you can hygienically remove used diabetic test strips.
- ✅ EASY DIABETIC MONITORING: The blood sugar monitor kit with strips is capable of saving up to 300 readings. The blood glucose test kit also provides a continuous 14-day average of your readings, making glucose monitoring easy for you and your healthcare provider.
- ✅ PORTABLE AND HASSLE-FREE: The diabetic testing kit comes with a handy glucometer case, which means you can check your blood sugar level at home or anywhere else while staying organized. The 10-depth lancing device and lancets will help make blood sugar testing almost painless and hassle-free.
- ✅ COMPLETE DIABETIC SET: The glucose meter kit with strips and lancets includes: (1) Care Touch Blood Sugar Meter, (100) Blood Glucose Test Strips for diabetes, (1) Lancing Device, (100) Lancets for diabetes testing, (1) 3 Volt Lithium Battery, (1) Glucose meter case for your blood sugar tester and diabetic supplies
- ✅ WE CARE BECAUSE YOU CARE: You care about your health, and we care about you. Care Touch is committed to providing the best quality blood glucose monitoring systems. Our care doesn’t end when your sugar tester diabetes kit arrives at your door. We’re fully dedicated to your satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns about your glucose monitor kit with strips and lancets - contact us at any time.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- PUREHEALTH RESEARCH - Blood Sugar Formula 3 Bottles
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- A DOCTOR-APPROVED NATURAL FORMULA. Seventeen potent ingredients, each scientifically proven to have a significant effect at helping balance your glucose levels, improve glucose sensitivity, protect delicate cells from free radicals, and energy
- HIGH POTENCY. PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help you support healthy blood glucose levels
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: supports healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency support for 365 days a year; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health; daily support for healthy blood glucose levels, 365 days a year
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
Last update on 2022-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API