Ketogenic Diet For Diabetics is a specific diet that can really help diabetes. Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe For Diabetics? The ketogenic diet was actually developed in 1924, but was actually used as treatment for epilepsy. Most diets for type 2 diabetics are designed for weight loss and usually not by a high fat diet, but then again what diet isn’t created to lose weight, period?
But what the ketogenic diet and diabetes will have in common is that because it is a low carb, high fat diet, there shows the potential to change the way your body uses and stores energy which have an end result of decreasing your diabetes symptoms.
Ketogenic Diet For Diabetics
This particular diet also aids in reducing risk factors for epilepsy, stroke, Alzhemier’s disease, heart disease, and diabetes. With the ketogenic diet, your body enters ketosis, which is a metabolic state, and the body then uses ketone “bodies” for energy in lieu of glucose. These bodies are more of a constant source of energy than of glucose that gets its energy from carbohydrates.
Let’s talk about fat here
The truth is that too much fat is no good but I’m sure that you’re not surprised to hear that. Most but not all fats are essential for our health and are good for us. There’s more calories in in a gram of fat compared to carbohydrates and proteins, but they are the best of efficient energy available.
Promoting consuming foods such as vegetables, fish, healthy fats and oils, and meats is what the keto diet is all about. This particular diet is one that you can support long term. And recent studies have shown that by eating a diet that consists of a high fat, low carb diet as opposed to a high carb, low fat diet resulted in:
- Reduced insulin resistance and reduced blood sugar levels, which can reverse prediabetes and type 2 diabetes.
- Greatly reduced blood pressure which in turn also reduces the risk of stroke and heart attack.
- Reducing your triglycerides which is the amount of fat in your blood.
- Aids is losing more weight than if you were eating low fat.
- Your appetite decreasing. This is always a good thing!
- Improvement of good, HDL cholesterol levels.
- Your levels of energy remaining consistent throughout the day.
- You will feel full for a longer period of time and your constant level of energy is a result of most of your calories coming from fat, which is really slower to digest.
- If you’re eating low carbs, you’ll be eliminating blood sugar highs and lows and in turn you won’t feel disoriented and weak. This is a definite plus.
How it works
Since the ketogenic diet is very low in carbohydrates, you’ll be eating approximately 30 grams of carbs a day. This diet is good for diabetics because again it helps your body to get energy by burning body fat and you are producing the energy known as ketones. This will aid your body in its requirement for insulin which will benefit you if you have either type 1 or type 2 diabetes.
The ketogenic diet will help your body in the fat burning process so it has benefits for anyone looking to lose weight. Since carbohydrates are the culprits that raise your blood sugar more than anything else, you want to keep your carbohydrates low and eat a high fat content and have an average amount of protein.
This doesn’t mean that you should pack on the saturated fats. It’s the heart healthy fats that you are looking for such as nuts, seeds, fish, olive oil, eggs, and cottage cheese just to mention a few. There are others as well.
Caution about DKA and discussing with your physician first
Everything you do regarding your health should be discussed with your physician. You should ALWAYS sit down and talk about any diet so that they are on the same page as you. One of the reasons here is that by changing your energy source to fat instead of carbs can result in an increase in ketones in your bloodstream. Your doctor can describe this to you. You do not want an excess amount of ketones in the blood also known as DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis). This DKA is very serious and is considered a medical crisis!
Symptoms and alerts of DKA are:
- Having difficulty breathing
- Feeling of nausea
- Experiencing dry mouth
- Urinating frequently
- High blood sugar levels steadily
So you have to check your blood sugar levels frequently throughout the day. It’s that important. Make sure you have a reliable test kit at home so you can stay on top of it. And checking your blood pressure at home is always a good idea. It certainly won’t hurt to check it. In fact, it’s an awesome idea to do!
Foods to eat
It’s very beneficial to know what foods you should eat and should not be eating. Always use common sense while being on any diet. You may want to lose weight or help with your diabetes or both. Make a plan and stick to it. Sometimes along the way you may have to alter your plan because different things work for different folks. Making a plan is the best way to start.
So I’d like to list the foods in different groups to make it easier. I think that once you start and give it time to get used to, you’ll hopefully transition into it better. Not everything is for everyone. And if this is for you, then great! If it isn’t, then it isn’t. The bottom line for me is to hopefully help you become healthier through the ketogenic diet in losing weight and helping control your diabetes.
As I mentioned previously, you want to consume only an average amount of protein because excessive protein compared to fat will make your body break down protein for fuel instead of fat. This can diminish or even halt the ketosis process. Grass fed is always the better option too.
- Fish choices: catfish, salmon, cod, tuna, mackerel, and halibut.
- Poultry choices: turkey, duck, quail, and chicken.
- Shellfish choices: lobster, clams, mussels, and oysters.
- Egg choices: scrambled, deviled, boiled, or fried.
- Beef choices: ground beef, veal, stew meats, and steaks.
- Pork choices: ham, bacon, tenderloin, pork loin, and bacon.
Fat is what the ketogenic diet is all about, but it’s healthy fats not just any fat that is crucial here. You want your body to stay in the condition of ketosis of breaking down your healthy fats for energy in lieu of protein or carbohydrates. High quality fat is the goal here and it should be approximately seventy percent of your caloric intake.
One of the key factors with this diet is that because you’re looking for these fats, they are tasting and satisfy you and you can have a lot of them. But once again, it’s the healthy monounsaturated and saturated fats you need below:
- Oil choices: Olive oil, avocado oil, and coconut oil.
- Seeds and nuts choices: almonds and macadamia nuts are the best choices.
- Cocoa butter and coconut butter
- Egg yolks
You also want to keep in mind about decreasing your risk of any heart disease. So you’ll want to make sure that you get sufficient amounts of your Omega 6 and Omega 3 fatty acids to help with this. They are crucial in the function of your brain and nerves. Caution about excess Omega 6 though. Too much can cause inflammatory so be careful. Fish is your best choice for the Omega 3 fatty acids.
Nuts are good and they are healthy for you. But with nuts, you should be aware of carbs in pistachios, almonds and cashews. Also note that nuts do have a lot of calories too. Be careful. Just don’t overdo it.
Leafy greens are always the best choice, but here is a short list of what you can have that are very healthy for you:
- Spinach (my favorite, thanks Popeye!)
- Broccoli (my second favorite)
- Green beans
- Collard greens
- Brussel sprouts
- Bell peppers
- Spaghetti squash
I always talk about how good and how healthy fruit is for you but take notice! You have to not overdo it. Only small amounts of fruit should be on your list and the reason is SUGAR! So here is a list of the best low sugar fruits that are good choices:
Condiments and sauces
- Hot sauce
- Sauerkraut (no added sugar)
- Horseradish (yuck, sorry, I don’t like this one !)
- High fat salad dressings (no or low added sugars)
These foods must be avoided
- Alcoholic beverages. Cocktails, beer, wine, are all out.
- Artificial sweeteners. Anything such as Saccharin, Sucralose, or Aspartame.
- Tropical fruits and fruit juices. Bananas, pineapples,papayas, and mangos.
- Any refined fats including soybean, corn oil, cottonseed, canola, or sunflower oils.
- Milk. It is difficult to digest and lacks the good bacteria that you need. And it’s high in carbs as well.
- All grains are out. This list is quite extensive: bread, cookies, pasta, corn, barley, rice, buckwheat, crackers, cakes, ice cream, puddings, white potatoes, rye, wheat, and sugary drinks.
- Low carb and low fat products.
Why isn’t your ketogenic diet working?
- You’re not eating enough calories.
- You are not tracking your carbohydrates correctly.
- You aren’t keeping track of your protein.
- Are you considering your nutrition?
- You have’t been testing your ketone levels.
Just make sure you’re doing what you’re supposed to be doing first and then regroup and make some changes. Sometimes you have to test and re-test what you’re doing. It may be just one or two simple adjustments.
So there’s the information for you to decide about the Ketogenic diet for Diabetics. If this is for you because as I said earlier, it’s not for everyone. Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe For Diabetics? The choice should be yours along with your physician’s. If you need help lowering your blood sugar numbers, this can really help you!
Whatever you decide, I would appreciate any comments or feedback and you can leave the below and I will get back to you pronto! Thanks for reading and stay healthy!
Check Out Below the Best Way
to End Your Diabetes For Good!
Please share on social media below and forward this to others who need help and please leave any questions or comments you may have below. I would love to interact with you. Thank you for reading and I appreciate it!
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds.
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight loss and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Excellent Accuracy: metene TD-4116 blood glucose meter and strips are produced with industry-leading chips and biosensor, equipped with industry-leading technologies, conducive to get accurate and reliable measurements
- No Coding: The blood sugar meter gets into measure status automatically once insert the blood sugar test strip to the bottom of the slot, easy to use and easy to read with large display for the senior
- Fast and Reduce Pain: This blood glucose monitor takes just 7s and 0.7µl blood to get the glucose value; The lancing device has 5 depth options to minimize wound and reduce pain
- Better Data Management: This glucometer stores the newest 450 blood glucose values and display the continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average; the measurements could be exported with windows-based software; help you track and manage your blood glucose better
- Diabetes Testing Kit 207 Piece Set: 100 glucometer strips, 100 30G lancets, 1 blood sugar meter, 1 lancing device, 1 control solution, 2 batteries, 1 protective wallet and 1 user manual; Please feel free to contact us if any problem when using this Diabetes testing kit
- Support cardiovascular health & blood sugar levels with the PurePremium blood sugar support dietary supplement, which contains essential vitamins, minerals and herbs.
- Support healthy glucose metabolism by adding our all-natural heart health supplement to your diet. Our advanced cardiovascular support capsules contain cinnamon, mulberry, vitamin c, vitamin e, magnesium, zinc, licorice root extract and manganese.
- Support blood cholesterol levels and make sure that your heart is healthy and strong. Support healthy insulin function and bolster your immune system against harmful free radicals.
- Our easy-to-swallow capsules support healthy glucose levels and your metabolism at the same time.
- Formulated in the USA. Every PurePremium product comes from an inspected, and GMP certified facility right here in the USA.
- INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS. Insufficient blood applied to test strip will result in wrong readings. Please hold the lancing device firmly against your fingertip for enough sample. Watch our instructional videos in our listings to optimize your testing results. Our friendly customer support will always be here to answer your questions and help to resolve your concerns. (30 Day Money Back Guarantee)
- EXCEEDS INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS. AUVON BGMs can function within ±10%, or ±10 mg/dl of laboratory values over 95% of the time, which is far beyond ISO 15197:2013 passing standard (within ±15% or ±15 mg/dl). The manufacturer is certified with CE mark, GMP, ISO 13485:2016, and ISO 15197:2013 without having any recall on the market in the past 14 years.
- CUTTING-EDGE TEST STRIPS. We use cutting-edge test strips enzymes for blood glucose measurements. Our test strips are produced with unique Automatic Carbon Printing Technique to ensure that the quality of each batch of strips could be relevantly much more stable, precise and accurate. Additionally, PROMISED 0.15USD/pcs would keep you no pressure to repurchase.
- KEEP TRACK OF DATA. Store your test results with time and date helps you track and manage your health while also keeping a continuous 7/14/30 average results. Automatic off means our device works longer without having to worry about wasting battery life.
- ALL IN ONE: 1 x AUVON DS-W Blood Glucose Monitor, 1 x battery, 50 x Blood Test Strips, 50 x 30 gauge Lancets, 1 x Lancing device, 1 x Meter User Guide, 1 x Test Strip User Guide, Our Exclusive Lifetime Warranty and Technical Support and Friendly Customer Service.
Last update on 2021-05-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API