Olive oil defined and what about blood sugar?
With diabetes you need to keep your blood sugar in control. Olive oil and diabetes are connected because olive oil can help with your sugar levels. And while there are many other health benefits to olive oil, I just want to mention and define olive oil first. Olives are a traditional tree crop found in the Mediterranean basin. The olive oil is a liquid fat that is obtained from the olives and this is done by pressing the whole olives. Olive oil is regularly used in cooking, either for salad dressing or for frying. This is according to Wikipedia.
Olive oil is very healthy for you and comes in different types.
- Pure olive oil- Pure olive oil is very high in acid. It is a combination of virgin oils and refined oils.
- Virgin olive oil- This type of oil is the one that has a much lower acid content and is used in cooking.
- Extra virgin olive oil- This olive oil is produced by pressing the olives. Extra virgin is a much better oil.
So each oil has many different uses depending on what you’re using it for. I’m not a big olive fan, but I do use olive oil, mainly as a salad dressing because it’s just so beneficial in many ways and so healthy for you. It does contain a lot of calories, so you should only use it in moderate amounts. If you want something that is also really important for reversing your diabetes, find it in the conclusion of this article. It’s worth it!
Extra virgin olive oil is my choice of fats
There’s probably nothing better when it comes to healthy fats that extra virgin olive oil. The Mediterranean diet is probably the best when it comes to fats. And it’s because extra virgin olive oil is a big part of the diet. It could be why the Mediterranean people re among the healthiest in the world.
Studies recently showed that antioxidants and fatty acids do have very strong health benefits, one being a reduction in the risk of heart disease. This is huge because we know that our heart is what keeps us going and if you don’t take care of it, then it will not take care of you.
Your heart has to work non-stop for you for your entire life. It doesn’t get time off, so you should be rewarding it by making healthy choices such as extra virgin olive oil and other food choices as well. Your heart will reward you by making you feel better and improving your health.
Olive oil is produced by pressing olives. Olives come from the olive tree. Simple enough, right? Well there is a big difference between which olive oil that you buy. It isn’t “one shoe its all.” You want to buy the extra virgin olive oil because it is extremely high in antioxidants and 100% natural.
This is the olive oil that is nutritious and has a unique taste and high in antioxidants which is the top reason for it being the most beneficial. Don’t fall for the cheaper oils that are masquerading as imposters.
Here are some of the extra virgin olive oils that are the best out there:
- Bariani Olive Oil
- Whole Foods California 365
- Lucero (Ascolano)
- Olea Estates 100% extra virgin olive oil
- Kirkland Organic
- Corto Olive
- Trader Joe’s California Estate
- Ellora Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Check out the video below for more about olive oil and diabetes
Just what olive oil can do for you:
- Lowers cholesterol- I just talked about your heart and how important it is. You don’t want heart attacks or any issues with it. Well, I’m sure that you are aware that your bad cholesterol, LDL is responsible for raising your risk of heart problems. Do you know what olive oil contains? It has more than 40 antioxidants that will help in decreasing your LDL levels and at the same time increasing your HDL levels.
- Aging- You can help with your aging because the antioxidants in the olive oil slow down the natural aging of the body. It has a very good benefit for your skin when you use a natural herbal therapy and certain cosmetic products. It basically adds a protective “coating” on your skin. I mean who doesn’t want to look younger or at least not look older?
- Healthy hair- You can keep your hair healthy with olive oil. It has numerous ingredients that can keep your hair healthy. It includes sulfur, zinc, B vitamins, calcium, and magnesium that are beneficial for hair growth. It is also rich in vitamin E which fights hair loss and honey that helps to moisturize your hair. Look for shampoo that has olive oil in it. There are many products available on the market.
- Treats depression- Sometimes we all have bad days or bad moods. It just happens to most of us. Depression goes a lot deeper than that and olive oil can actually help. It can help and act as an antidepressant as well. It does this by increasing your levels of serotonin which is a chemical in your brain.
- Weight loss- Following a diet such as the Mediterranean diet is a moderate fat diet that includes olive oil. Studies were done between the Mediterranean diet and a low fat diet. At the conclusion of the study less than 25% were still following the low fat diet. We all want to lose weight, don’t we? Okay, maybe not all but those of us who do need all the help we can get and if olive oil does it, I’m all for it. I may not like olives, but I’ll use olive oil on my salads.
- Constipation- Olive oil is a great benefit for constipation. In addition, it greatly benefits your colon and gastrointestinal tract. Your digestive system can be stimulated by the surface and regularity of olive oil. Your constipation can be totally avoided by having olive oil on a consistent basis. It is abundant in iron, omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, and vitamins K and E which also help to prevent constipation. Nobody wants to be constipated. Give olive oil a chance to prove what it can do help.
- Kidney stones- Olive oil can help dissolve kidney stones. Heat two quarts of water to boil and then add two ounces of extra virgin olive oil and two ounces of lemon juice. Mix and then put in the fridge until cooled. You do NOT want kidney stones. They are extremely painful.
- Sex life- Spice up your sex life with olive oil. Really? Yes! If you’re looking for an aphrodisiac, then this it it. Use it to massage because it improves blood circulation to every body part including your sex organs. Okay, which one of you is running to get the olive oil first? 🙂
- Avoid strokes- A study done showed that olive oil was able to reduce by 41% the risk of strokes in the elderly. Because strokes happen when the blood vessels that lead to the brain, clot and can lead to damage to the brain and even death, olive oil can weaken these clots assuring steady flowing of blood to the brain. If you can avoid something such as a stroke, why wouldn’t you take the necessary precautions to do it?
- Inflammation- Olive oil has anti-inflammatory properties due to its’ richness in phenols. Because of this fact using it will well relieve inflammation. Inflammation isn’t good so let olive oil be part of your diet so that it can help you avoid inflammation.
- Cancer- Olive oil is known to help prevent bowel cancer. There was medical research done to show that the beginning of bowel and rectum cancer could be prevented by the content of acid in the oil. Another reason that this oil should be used regularly.
- Heart disease- As mentioned before, you do not want heart disease and olive oil can help lower your cholesterol levels to help avoid heart problems.
- Natural pain relief- It has natural anti-inflammatory agents that act as a natural pain killer similar to Advil or ibuprofen. Inflammation is responsible for many diseases so that’s where olive oil steps in to help.
- Help cracked heals- If you have cracked heels that are driving you crazy, then give olive oil a try. You can use rub in olive oil with hot water to exfoliate your heels and get that smoothness and moisture that you need to feel good. It does make a big difference.
- Build up those bones- Calcium is know to strengthen your bones but so can olive oil help too. Osteocalcin which is a protein found in the bone was shown to have higher levels in men conducted in a study with the Mediterranean diet. It was the olive oil that contained this hormone and was responsible for the increase in bone strength.
Olive oil and diabetes
Olive oil is very beneficial for diabetes and controlling your blood sugar. There are many studies that have proven this to be true. Olive oil contains mono and polyunsaturated fasts that can help to prevent diabetes. This nutritional oil also is responsible for decreasing the damage from oxidation that is caused to our bodies from blood sugar levels that are consistently high.
In addition the high levels of antioxidants reduce the risk of complications from diabetes including conditions such as high blood pressure, retinal neuropathy, heart disease, and diabetic neuropathy. Since inflammation plays a major role in diabetes and the complications of it, olive oil becomes an important part of fighting inflammation and diabetes due to the main substance that is the anti-inflammatory agent known as “oleocanthal.”
Now it isn’t crucial to know more about oleocanthal other than its’ role in fighting inflammation, because that’s what it does. Sometimes I personally don’t feel I need to know what a technical term is other than what it does to be beneficial for my health. And if it fights inflammation and diabetes? That’s all I need to know.
What you need to be careful about with olive oil
There’s no doubt that olive oil has many benefits as you can see. But as with anything else, there can be some side effects.
I’ve said this many times before in my life. Too much of anything is no good. The same holds true with olive oil. Be careful because olive oil DOES have calories. You can take too much and increase your risk for heart disease instead of lowering it. On average you should have no more than two tablespoons a day.
Now, it’s VERY important that I mention this. I am not offering medical advice and I am not a doctor. You should ALWAYS consult your doctor first before you do ANYTHING.If you are taking diabetes medication, you do NOT want interactions and cause your blood sugars to drop too low either. Your physician should always make the decisions so discuss it with them.
Remember never use too much olive oil because it can cause major problems with huge drop in blood pressure very fast can cause other issues such as blockage of your gall bladder. And you can actually gain weight from too much because of the fat content as well as the calories.
You don’t want any allergic reactions to the olive oil either. You certainly don’t need skin rashes and other complications from reactions to olive oil. Another word to the wise is to never apply the oil to any cuts or wounds.
Olive oil is very beneficial for diabetes and your overall health. That’s why olive oil and diabetes should be linked together because one can help the other. Just use common sense and discuss with your doctor too. That’s all you need to do.
If you really want to reverse your type 2 diabetes, then click the button below now!
I hope that you enjoyed reading and got something positive out of my article. Diabetes, lowering your blood sugar, and being healthy are my main concerns. If you have any questions or would like to leave a comment, please feel free to do so below. I would appreciate it. Here’s to your good health!