Garlic is a plant that just happens to be in the onion group. It’s grown and used mainly for the purpose of cooking and has many excellent health benefits. The health benefits of raw garlic are endless. Garlic has high nutritional value and very low in calories. I want to go into great detail about how it garlic helps your blood sugars. Is Garlic Good For Diabetes?
Why is Garlic Stronger than Just Its Smell?
Allicin is a compound in garlic that contains very potent medicinal properties. Garlic was never a favorite of mine because of the strong taste and bad breath (I’ll come to that later). But it is such a medicinal powerhouse that it’s something you should just not pass up.
The health benefits definitely outweigh any negatives about garlic. And I believe that garlic should always be used in cooking. I have it in soup sometimes and I am finding other ways to incorporate it into my diet everyday.
Garlic & Its Role Against Diabetes
Garlic helps regulate blood sugar levels and increases insulin release in people with diabetes. I revert back to allicin which helps increase the amount of insulin being released in the blood. It does this by actually blocking the liver’s inactivation of insulin.
This makes more insulin available for your body. As a diabetic, this works for me. Anything that fights diabetes is going to be in my corner. How about you? Fighting diseases such as diabetes is better done by natural methods as far as I’m concerned.
Diabetes can control you until you make changes to control it naturally. Garlic is one of those natural methods. Diabetes is so much about what you eat and the lack of exercise. So when you get diagnosed as I did, you begin to take steps to not only control your blood sugar, but to reverse and end your diabetes. It wasn’t an overnight thing being diagnosed and it it isn’t a “turn off the switch deal” and it’s over.
So you want to do everything you can to control and fight diabetes. Eating healthy should be at the top of your list. Exercising at least thirty minutes a day five days a week should become the norm. Controlling your blood sugar levels to make sure that you don’t have hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia. Getting enough sleep and avoiding stress helps big time.
And eating foods like garlic are definitely going to benefit your diabetes and your overall health. If you want something that is also really important for reversing your diabetes, find it in the conclusion of this article. You’ll see, it’s worth it.
Getting Right to the Benefits of Garlic
- Allicin. I wanted to mention this first since I brought it up already. It contains the identical sulphur compound that onions have. Both onions and garlic were studied and were found to treat hair loss. Bring it on as I’m still losing hair at my age! I’ll take anything natural that will help.
- Can fight illnesses and help build up your immune system. This is important too because if your immune system is compromised then problems could start arising such as diseases like cancer and diabetes. Garlic also helps fight the common cold and flu by reducing the number of days that might suffer from them. Who doesn’t want to shorten your cold?
- Lowers LDL and total cholesterol levels and therefore will decrease your risk of heart disease. Garlic will not have an effect on your triglycerides or HDL levels though.
- Detoxification of heavy metals in your body. Because of the sulfur compounds, they work to rid your body of the heavy metals by performing a complete body cleanse. This can take place with higher amounts of garlic.
- Extending our lives to live longer. If garlic is aiding and boosting out immune system, then it can hopefully ward off disease and add more years on to our lives. It definitely has beneficial effects on diseases that are chronic which would make sense that it would help us live longer.
- Strokes and heart attacks are diseases of the cardiovascular system that can be significantly be reduced by garlic lowering your blood pressure. Dosages of garlic again should be on the higher side. So getting enough allicin would require approximately four cloves of garlic a day.
- Aging and cell damage can be protected by the antioxidants of garlic. This in turn may decrease your chances of getting dementia and Alzhemier’s disease. You want to avoid these.
- There may be a benefit for improving bone health with garlic and also onions. They also benefit osteoarthritis.
- Inflammation. Garlic is huge in the anti-inflammatory department. Studies have shown up to four sulphuric compounds in garlic that fight inflammation. People who are battling auto immune diseases can benefit from garlic as well.
- Psoriasis is inflammation of the skin and you can get relief by rubbing garlic oil on the area that is affected. Psoriasis is no fun for sure.
- Get rid of cold sores by applying some crushed garlic on the particular area that is bothering you. You may want to mix it with a little water because garlic by itself on the skin may be too irritating. The swelling caused by inflammation can be reduced and give you relief. An an even quicker way to rid you of these uncomfortable annoying pesky things is to be taking garlic supplements. I HATE cold sores! Yuck! I use this method and it helps.
- This is another one on the top of my “I do not like” list. Mosquitoes. First of all, I don’t know anyone who would actually enjoy mosquitoes. Either apply to your skin (I know this is overboard), but if you keep garlic somewhere in the vicinity, you won’t have an issue with mosquitoes because they hate garlic!
- Food poisoning. Studies have shown that garlic may prevent food poisoning because of its anti-bacterial properties. It kills bacteria such as salmonella and e. coli. You certainly don’t want any of this!
- Combat athlete’s foot. Fungus that causes athlete’s foot can be soothed by soaking your feet that itch in garlic water.
- Excellent for metabolism. Malnutrition can result in a neurological disease. Garlic helps your nervous system which controls your spinal cord, and all functions of your body, including diseases of the brain.
- Fights plaque. It can fight infections in your mouth, including candida, plaque in your mouth and yeast infection that cause bacteria.
- Acts as a replacement for antibiotics in their heavier form that may weaken the immune system.
- Garlic is rich in minerals such as zinc, calcium, iron, manganese, and vitamins B and C. With 100 grams in garlic, there are 2 grams of fiber, perfect for the aiding in digestion. Used in cooking, it’s perfect for adding more benefits to a healthy meal.
- Garlic may also decrease the severe symptoms of upper respiratory tract infections. Because it aids in difficulty of breathing and issues with your lungs, it makes garlic so awesome.
Watch the Video Below for More on Garlic & Diabetes
Use Precaution & Consider These Recommendations
Garlic, for the most part, is considered to be safe and doesn’t normally come with any serious side effects. A word of extreme caution here: Do not consume garlic if you are taking any blood-thinning medication, or if you have a thyroid condition or a stomach ulcer.
There is always a possibility that garlic could possibly interact with some prescription medicines, including insulin, antiviral drugs, and anti-inflammatory medicines.
It may cause bloating, an upset stomach, and possibly bad breath in some people. Also be careful when handling fresh garlic cloves as you can feel a stinging on your skin. Discuss garlic with your physician before taking it to make sure if it is okay for you to take.
Something like garlic that is natural and beneficial for most folks, can also clash with certain things for others so it’s better to be safe than sorry and let the doctor make the call.
Lemons & Garlic Pack a One-Two Punch
Garlic is awesome against diabetes and other health ailments but adding lemon in addition to the garlic is even better yet. So when studies were done and patients consumed between 100 and 125 mg of garlic a day, their insulin levels rose and their glucose levels dropped.
Now lemons are packed with the antioxidant vitamin C. Because vitamin C helps keep your arteries flexible and smooth like because of collagen that it produces. And lemons also contain limonene, which is a compound that also aids in lowering your cholesterol levels. The potassium in lemons helps control blood pressure levels as well.
Your blood sugar levels won’t be affected because lemons have fewer carbs because of their low glycemic index level (a ranking of carbohydrate in foods according to how they affect blood sugar levels).
Other Possible Side Effects of Raw Garlic
Since having raw garlic in your mouth, you should be aware that you could have a burning feeling in your mouth and your stomach, nausea, bloating, gas pains, diarrhea, heartburn, and bad breath. Everything has potential side effects and the more raw garlic you have, the more your chances of experiencing these side effects.
It can increase your risk of bleeding as previously mentioned, so discuss with your physician especially if you are on blood thinners.
Getting Rid of Garlic Breath
- Drink lemon juice. This is a great anecdote for bad breath from garlic. It works great with crushed garlic because the acid in lemon juice neutralizes the bad odor produced the enzyme known as alliinase.
- Eat raw apples. You know when you cut an apple open and leave it out and it begins to turn brown? That’s because it’s caused by an enzyme in the apple that does this but at the same time it acts as a natural reaction to the sulphides in garlic that are causing the bad breath. Works great!
- Try green tea too. Green tea’s antioxidants (called polyphenols) work the same way as the apple’s enzymes. The best way to combat the bad breath is to have apples with a salad or by adding lemon juice!
Final Thoughts about Garlic
Is Garlic Good For Diabetes? Absolutely! Garlic is very healthy for you and has awesome health benefits for you especially if you have diabetes. But it’s very good for you and your body.
It may not be for everyone, but that’s fine because not everything is. But if you want to incorporate garlic into your diet and your doctor agrees, it may have some very positive effects.
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Rothchild, Sascha (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 336 Pages - 04/19/2022 (Publication Date) - G.P. Putnam's Sons (Publisher)
- ✅ QUICK AND EASY TO USE: Care Touch blood sugar test kit delivers results in only 5 seconds with just a 0.5µL blood sample. There is no programming needed since our blood sugar monitor kit automatically recognizes batch codes encrypted on Care Touch glucose test strips. Our state-of-the-art glucometer kit with strips and lancets includes single-touch strip ejection, so you can hygienically remove used diabetic test strips.
- ✅ EASY DIABETIC MONITORING: The blood sugar monitor kit with strips is capable of saving up to 300 readings. The blood glucose test kit also provides a continuous 14-day average of your readings, making glucose monitoring easy for you and your healthcare provider.
- ✅ PORTABLE AND HASSLE-FREE: The diabetic testing kit comes with a handy glucometer case, which means you can check your blood sugar level at home or anywhere else while staying organized. The 10-depth lancing device and lancets will help make blood sugar testing almost painless and hassle-free.
- ✅ COMPLETE DIABETIC SET: The glucose meter kit with strips and lancets includes: (1) Care Touch Blood Sugar Meter, (100) Blood Glucose Test Strips for diabetes, (1) Lancing Device, (100) Lancets for diabetes testing, (1) 3 Volt Lithium Battery, (1) Glucose meter case for your blood sugar tester and diabetic supplies
- ✅ WE CARE BECAUSE YOU CARE: You care about your health, and we care about you. Care Touch is committed to providing the best quality blood glucose monitoring systems. Our care doesn’t end when your sugar tester diabetes kit arrives at your door. We’re fully dedicated to your satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns about your glucose monitor kit with strips and lancets - contact us at any time.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- PUREHEALTH RESEARCH - Blood Sugar Formula 3 Bottles
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- A DOCTOR-APPROVED NATURAL FORMULA. Seventeen potent ingredients, each scientifically proven to have a significant effect at helping balance your glucose levels, improve glucose sensitivity, protect delicate cells from free radicals, and energy
- HIGH POTENCY. PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help you support healthy blood glucose levels
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: supports healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency support for 365 days a year; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health; daily support for healthy blood glucose levels, 365 days a year
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
Last update on 2022-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API