How can a Podiatrist Help a Diabetic? It is so important when you have diabetes to have your feet checked. You need to keep your feet healthy and avoid any complications from diabetes. Trust me, this is something you do NOT want to ignore. So why is a podiatrist important if you have diabetes?
What a Podiatrist can Help with
You want healthy feet and sure as heck don’t want infections or amputations! Once you start to notice any one of the following with your feet, then it’s a red flag to get to go see your podiatrist:
- Callus or hard skin
- If your foot is suddenly swollen
- Any numbness or tingling in your feet (pins & needles)
- Any open sores or breaks in your skin
- If any specific or all of your feet suddenly become hot or cold
- If your footwear begins to becomes troublesome to wear or put on
- Any color changes in your skin such as pale, blue, red, or black
- Your calves begin to give you cramps
- Your walking becomes difficult
Any or all of these require medical attention from a professional such as a podiatrist.
I know from experience that peripheral neuropathy causes poor circulation in your feet. For me this results in numbness and my feet being on the colder side at times. This neuropathy will result in fatty deposits of plaque that will cause the arteries in your legs to not only harden and narrow, but causes less flowing of your blood in the feet and legs.
The best course of action against neuropathy and problems with your feet is to be proactive with controlling your blood sugars and diabetes in the first place. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! This is vital for the health of your feet. There are things you should be doing and things you shouldn’t be doing.
- Have your feet examined yearly by a podiatrist
- Like I do, check your feet EVERY day
- Always wear shoes and ones that fit properly.
- Do NOT go barefoot
- Clean up and dress any scratches, wounds, & cuts you may have
- Do NOT smoke because this adds to circulation problems
- Wash your feet in lukewarm water, not hot water daily
- Trim your nails but carefully- straight across with filing the edges
- Wear socks (not compression socks) to bed if your feet are cold
- Choose diabetic compression socks to wear during the day
- Wear correct fitting diabetic shoes
Protect your Feet!
Again, I cannot stress enough how essential it is to check your feet each and every day. Examine the top of your feet and every part of your toes, the balls of your feet and the heels. Know what to look for.
You should be checking for:
- Athletes foot
- Temperature of your feet, hot or cold?
- Color- red, pale, blue?
- Skin that may be dry and cracked
- Cuts, wounds, abrasions
This falls mainly in the category of your podiatrist visit. They will check your foot color and temperature and thoroughly examine your feet and apply the needed treatments you may require. Your podiatrist will also check the two pulses in your feet as well. He or she will also be looking for any signs that are out of the ordinary such as any deformities or any indications that may require advice about diabetic footwear.
Additional Tips for your Feet
- Do not wear shoes without socks
- Apply moisturizer to your legs and feet 2x daily (not between toes)
- Make sure your shower/bath water isn’t too hot
- Don’t ignore any signs of infection, pain, or redness
- Inspect your feet at least once every day
- Keep between your toes dry to prevent athlete’s foot
- Smoking makes matters worse, quit!
- Choose your shoes wisely, go for comfortable shoes that fit properly
- Have a foot exam by a podiatrist at least once a year
Final Thoughts about a Podiatrist for your Feet
How can a Podiatrist Help a Diabetic? A podiatrist is very important if you have diabetes as you can see. Make sure you do everything you can to protect your feet and keep them healthy. Follow the tips here and don’t forget to see your podiatrist now before it’s too late!
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Rothchild, Sascha (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 336 Pages - 04/19/2022 (Publication Date) - G.P. Putnam's Sons (Publisher)
- ✅ QUICK AND EASY TO USE: Care Touch blood sugar test kit delivers results in only 5 seconds with just a 0.5µL blood sample. There is no programming needed since our blood sugar monitor kit automatically recognizes batch codes encrypted on Care Touch glucose test strips. Our state-of-the-art glucometer kit with strips and lancets includes single-touch strip ejection, so you can hygienically remove used diabetic test strips.
- ✅ EASY DIABETIC MONITORING: The blood sugar monitor kit with strips is capable of saving up to 300 readings. The blood glucose test kit also provides a continuous 14-day average of your readings, making glucose monitoring easy for you and your healthcare provider.
- ✅ PORTABLE AND HASSLE-FREE: The diabetic testing kit comes with a handy glucometer case, which means you can check your blood sugar level at home or anywhere else while staying organized. The 10-depth lancing device and lancets will help make blood sugar testing almost painless and hassle-free.
- ✅ COMPLETE DIABETIC SET: The glucose meter kit with strips and lancets includes: (1) Care Touch Blood Sugar Meter, (100) Blood Glucose Test Strips for diabetes, (1) Lancing Device, (100) Lancets for diabetes testing, (1) 3 Volt Lithium Battery, (1) Glucose meter case for your blood sugar tester and diabetic supplies
- ✅ WE CARE BECAUSE YOU CARE: You care about your health, and we care about you. Care Touch is committed to providing the best quality blood glucose monitoring systems. Our care doesn’t end when your sugar tester diabetes kit arrives at your door. We’re fully dedicated to your satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns about your glucose monitor kit with strips and lancets - contact us at any time.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- PUREHEALTH RESEARCH - Blood Sugar Formula 3 Bottles
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- A DOCTOR-APPROVED NATURAL FORMULA. Seventeen potent ingredients, each scientifically proven to have a significant effect at helping balance your glucose levels, improve glucose sensitivity, protect delicate cells from free radicals, and energy
- HIGH POTENCY. PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help you support healthy blood glucose levels
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: supports healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency support for 365 days a year; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health; daily support for healthy blood glucose levels, 365 days a year
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
Last update on 2022-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API