When you have diabetes what you drink is very important. No or low calories should be the rule according to The American Diabetes Association. The foods you eat can affect your blood sugars, right? Well guess what? The drinks you have can affect your blood sugars as well. So let’s find out just what are some Healthy Drinks For Diabetics:
What are Some Drinks that are Healthy for Diabetics?
The most obvious and healthiest is of course water, but that can be boring so we must have alternate choices which I will discuss. The first thing you obviously want to look for are drinks that either have low calories or zero calories.
With diabetes, we’re always discussing how important it is to eat healthy foods. Drinking is equally crucial to your health when you have type 2 diabetes. It’s not good to drink anything with sugar, diabetes or not.
When I think of drinking and the sugar content, I always remember when I was a teenager that I found out that drinking a 16 ounce can of Coke had 10 teaspoons of sugar in it! 10! After that, I never drank anything like that with sugar again. That is an enormous amount of sugar that could definitely lead to type 2 diabetes and for all I know it may have.
It’s vital to your health and diabetes to have the best and healthiest fluids for your body and of course water is always number 1! But there are ways that you can spice up or add zest to your water to give it taste and still be on the healthy diabetes radar at the same time. So let’s begin with water since it’s the best (although not maybe your top choice when it comes to “boring”) But water IS the best for you.
So other than the fact of we all need water to survive, why is it the best drink for diabetics? The simple fact is that water cannot and does not raise your blood sugar levels.
With diabetes and blood sugar levels that are exceptionally high, it can cause you to be dehydrated. That’s why drinking enough water is absolutely crucial when you have diabetes, either type 1, type 2, or type 3 diabetes.
By making sure that you consume enough water each day, you are helping to rid your body of excess glucose by urinating it out. Doctors will tell you that if you’re a woman you should have eight glasses of water everyday and if you’re a man, you should have ten glasses of water each day.
You can choose to flavor your water by adding many different things to it such as a slice of lemon or lime, orange or strawberries or any natural fruit that doesn’t consist of much sugar.
Any fruit in the berry family is good too because they are the lowest in sugar on the glycemic index chart. A lot of times when I dine out, I either ask for ice water or unsweetened tea with a flavor of maybe raspberry. This way it tastes better with very little to no sugar.
2) Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the healthiest drinks you can have. Although you can’t actually drink it straight, you can mix it with anything. The taste is very bitter, but the benefits are powerful!
This can really help your blood sugars. Have it after your meal and it will also improve insulin sensitivity as well. It’s worth the bitter taste.
I mix two tablespoons of ACV with whatever I want. It’s usually 16 ounces of water and this dilutes the taste but I’m getting double the benefits from the apple cider vinegar and water together.
Another good drink for lowering your glucose in the morning is to have your glass of water, mix it with lemon or lime and add two tablespoons of ACV before bedtime and this will help to lower and control your glucose numbers.
This drink is about the most popular one on the planet. I’m not a coffee drinker but most folks are. Now I know that coffee generally has caffeine but decaf works just as well when it comes to lowering your risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
Studies were performed that showed that consuming between 2 to 4 cups of coffee a day may further decrease your risk.
Now just like any other drink, once you start adding things such as milk, and cream and sugar, well you know. This will not only make your calories go up but your blood sugars as well. So the key is to have it remain unsweetened.
And like anything you don’t want to overdo it. Caffeine or not, 4 cups of coffee a day should suffice. Because studies also revealed that 5 cups a day or more can actually increase your risk for type 2 diabetes. So let’s put the brakes on it at 4 cups.
Tea is excellent for you no matter which kind you have. I drink green tea personally even though I’m not a big tea drinker. I know it’s good for me and helps with my blood sugars too.
Again like coffee, you want to be careful with the caffeine. Teas have many flavors and no calories and are packed with antioxidants that are beneficial for folks with diabetes.
Research in China revealed that the tea that is best for slowing down the absorption of glucose into your bloodstream is black tea!
I like green tea but I have to look into trying black tea because of this fact alone. Four cups of black tea daily may possibly lessen your risk for type 2 diabetes by about 15%!
So a word to the wise is sufficient. Stop at 4 or maybe 5 cups a day. Even though tea is also beneficial for preventing heart disease and stroke, take it easy. Be careful to avoid teas that are bottled and loaded with sugar and like coffee, but don’t be adding cream and milk.
Milk is beneficial and healthy for you as a kid growing up. Mom always used to say it helps to build strong bones! I LOVED milk when I was a kid and couldn’t get enough of it. It’s been years since I had milk and no longer drink it. I opted for water instead. It’s a great choice!
But studies were done that showed that regular fat milk does actually help protect with heart disease, being overweight, and type 2 diabetes.
Apparently there is an acid found in milk that can result in the improving of insulin sensitivity and and insulin levels as well.
In one particular study, the patients wound up with much lesser (60%) chance of developing type 2 diabetes with the highest levels of the acid in the milk than those who participated with lower levels of this acid. This is according to the diabetescouncil.com.
But personally, I feel that low-fat and fat-free milks are the better choices for drinks for diabetics. They also reduce your high blood pressure which is something you should monitor regularly. I would limit low-fat and fat-free milk to 2-3 servings daily.
6) Coconut Water
How good is coconut water for you as a diabetic? It’s excellent and here’s why: It is loaded with powerful nutrients including amino acids, and numerous vitamins and minerals that are essential for you.
You want to keep your blood glucose under control and the sodium and potassium are responsible for doing just that.
Coconut water helps to maintain your blood sugars because of its high fiber content. And another very important fact about coconut water is that it can help you with your blood circulation because it is able to open up your blood vessels.
7) Tomato Juice
I absolutely love tomatoes in any form and tomato juice is no exception. They are extremely healthy for you and one of the biggest reasons is lycopene. It is responsible for decreasing your risks for developing certain types of cancers, cardiovascular disease, of course type 2 diabetes.
8) Carrot Juice
Carrots are know for being healthy for us and the vitamin A for our eyes too. But they contain something else that is vital to reducing type 2 diabetes and that is beta-carotene. Carrot juice is extremely healthy for you and powerful against diabetes.
The glycemic index is only 43 which is on the low end and while it may possibly raise your blood sugars a bit, because of the low GI level, it will not raise them significantly and quickly.
9) Bitter Gourd Juice
Another good choice for your drinks is bitter gourd juice. It works well for both types of diabetes with taking care of the glucose. It helps with decreasing glucose and urine sugar.
You want to wash the bitter gourd thoroughly and then proceed to peel the skin as you prepare it for blending.
10) Cucumber Juice
Cucumber is a vegetable that has many powerful ingredients including vitamin A, vitamin B2, vitamin C, iron, phosphorus, calcium, and amino acids that have exceptional effects as a diuretic, treating inflammation and it make cucumber juice one of the best drinks for diabetics.
11) Red Wine
Alcohol can be off limits when you have diabetes but not totally off limits. You just need to know what you can have and how much. Red wine is a good choice and everyone is different especially when it comes to diabetes.
The smart decision is to discuss it with your doctor. But red wine contains resveratrol and polyphenols which are antioxidant properties to fight blood sugars that are bouncing up and down all the time.
The Worst Drinks
I really didn’t even want to talk much about the bad ones because I think they are self-explanatory but I’ll mention them anyway. Diet soda is as bad as regular soda. It is just no good and offers no nutritional value whatsoever.. I would stay away from alcohol as much as possible but you can go here to read more about alcohol and diabetes.
Fruit juices are sugar. They will raise your sugar faster than you can imagine. Whole fruit is much better and you can check out the glycemic index levels here. If you have to drink diet juices with no sugar.
Energy drinks are pumped with carbohydrates, caffeine, and refined sugars. Toxic! Poison! Avoid! If a drink has sugar, then beware. Read the labels or better yet? Stick with my top 11 drinks for diabetics.
Final Thoughts about Healthy Drinks
Being a diabetic does not mean that all you can drink is water even though it’s the best choice for you. These 11 are the top Healthy Drinks For Diabetics as far as I’m concerned. It doesn’t mean that you can’t come up with your own too.
Just think first and be smart when it comes to diabetes, drinking or eating. You have the power to make changes in your selections. I hope this gives you the edge.
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds.
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight loss and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Excellent Accuracy: metene TD-4116 blood glucose meter and strips are produced with industry-leading chips and biosensor, equipped with industry-leading technologies, conducive to get accurate and reliable measurements
- No Coding: The blood sugar meter gets into measure status automatically once insert the blood sugar test strip to the bottom of the slot, easy to use and easy to read with large display for the senior
- Fast and Reduce Pain: This blood glucose monitor takes just 7s and 0.7µl blood to get the glucose value; The lancing device has 5 depth options to minimize wound and reduce pain
- Better Data Management: This glucometer stores the newest 450 blood glucose values and display the continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average; the measurements could be exported with windows-based software; help you track and manage your blood glucose better
- Diabetes Testing Kit 207 Piece Set: 100 glucometer strips, 100 30G lancets, 1 blood sugar meter, 1 lancing device, 1 control solution, 2 batteries, 1 protective wallet and 1 user manual; Please feel free to contact us if any problem when using this Diabetes testing kit
- Support cardiovascular health & blood sugar levels with the PurePremium blood sugar support dietary supplement, which contains essential vitamins, minerals and herbs.
- Support healthy glucose metabolism by adding our all-natural heart health supplement to your diet. Our advanced cardiovascular support capsules contain cinnamon, mulberry, vitamin c, vitamin e, magnesium, zinc, licorice root extract and manganese.
- Support blood cholesterol levels and make sure that your heart is healthy and strong. Support healthy insulin function and bolster your immune system against harmful free radicals.
- Our easy-to-swallow capsules support healthy glucose levels and your metabolism at the same time.
- Formulated in the USA. Every PurePremium product comes from an inspected, and GMP certified facility right here in the USA.
- INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS. Insufficient blood applied to test strip will result in wrong readings. Please hold the lancing device firmly against your fingertip for enough sample. Watch our instructional videos in our listings to optimize your testing results. Our friendly customer support will always be here to answer your questions and help to resolve your concerns. (30 Day Money Back Guarantee)
- EXCEEDS INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS. AUVON BGMs can function within ±10%, or ±10 mg/dl of laboratory values over 95% of the time, which is far beyond ISO 15197:2013 passing standard (within ±15% or ±15 mg/dl). The manufacturer is certified with CE mark, GMP, ISO 13485:2016, and ISO 15197:2013 without having any recall on the market in the past 14 years.
- CUTTING-EDGE TEST STRIPS. We use cutting-edge test strips enzymes for blood glucose measurements. Our test strips are produced with unique Automatic Carbon Printing Technique to ensure that the quality of each batch of strips could be relevantly much more stable, precise and accurate. Additionally, PROMISED 0.15USD/pcs would keep you no pressure to repurchase.
- KEEP TRACK OF DATA. Store your test results with time and date helps you track and manage your health while also keeping a continuous 7/14/30 average results. Automatic off means our device works longer without having to worry about wasting battery life.
- ALL IN ONE: 1 x AUVON DS-W Blood Glucose Monitor, 1 x battery, 50 x Blood Test Strips, 50 x 30 gauge Lancets, 1 x Lancing device, 1 x Meter User Guide, 1 x Test Strip User Guide, Our Exclusive Lifetime Warranty and Technical Support and Friendly Customer Service.
Last update on 2021-05-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API