Cauliflower is a vegetable that is healthy for you. But, Is Cauliflower Good for Diabetics? Cauliflower is a low carb, low calorie vegetable that is powerful for treating diabetes. One of the best reasons for this is that cauliflower is low on the glycemic index chart. Here’s what I learned about cauliflower:
Why Add Cauliflower to Your Diet?
Low glycemic index means it will not raise your blood sugar and is a vegetable that can lower your glucose levels. Having a low caloric count of only under 30 for each cup that is cooked, makes it a great choice to be on your diabetic menu. Cauliflower is a low carb, low calorie vegetable that is powerful for treating diabetes. Eat cauliflower regularly.
One of the best reasons for this is that cauliflower is low on the glycemic index chart. This means it will not raise your blood sugar and is a vegetable that can lower your glucose levels. Having a low caloric count of only under 30 for each cup that is cooked, makes it a great choice to be on your diabetic menu.
With diabetes you want to be careful with your carbohydrate count and cauliflower is low in carbohydrates. When you have type 2 diabetes you want to stick with a variety of vegetables such as cauliflower that are non-starchy. The non-starchy vegetables are suggested because of the nutrition they provide.
Cauliflower is loaded with minerals, phytochemicals, fiber, and vitamins that are beneficial in lowering blood sugars and keeping diabetes under wrap.
Fiber is important in cauliflower because of its low calories and your fiber intake daily should be approximately 35 grams.
Studies have shown that 35 grams or more in patients revealed that they were able to control their blood sugars much better than those who didn’t consume as much fiber. Fiber is known for giving us that full feeling and this in turn has us eating less calories. You lose weight and help to control your type 2 diabetes by consuming cauliflower.
There’s another good thing that cauliflower has a compound called sulforaphane. This is beneficial because it’s been shown to lower your blood pressure, is also helpful for your kidneys and preventing and treating diabetes and its complications as well. In addition, cauliflower helps your body with inflammation and that can be beneficial against many diseases including type 2 diabetes.
Nutritional Value of Cauliflower
- Very low glycemic index of only 15
- Source that is very rich in a variety of antioxidants
- Excellent source of vitamin K which will provide you with about 20% of your daily recommended allowance
- Powerful source of vitamin C and gives you almost 75% of your DRA
- Extremely low with less than 30 calories per 1 cup cooked
- Calcium- 25 mg
- Magnesium– 17 mg
- Zinc- .30 mg
- Iron- .45 mg
- Potassium- 320 mg
- Vitamin A– 15 IU
- Vitamin C- 46.5 mg
- Vitamin K- 16.1 mcg
- Fiber- 2.2 grams
- Protein– 2.06 grams
- Folate- 57.1 mcg
Health Benefits of Cauliflower
1) Weight Loss
You can always lose weight when you consume something with less calories and you know this is obvious. Cauliflower is low in calories and high in fiber and that’s a great combination for losing weight.
This makes you eat less calories than you normally would and that adds up to more pounds off your body. Another fact with cauliflower is that it is high in water content and like watermelon will help you in the weight loss department too.
2) Legumes & Grains
What’s better than having legumes and grains? Cauliflower! You can have it to replace them in your diet because it is substantially lower in carbohydrates than the grains and legumes. It’s a great choice on building your list of low carb vegetables to eat.
3) Cardiovascular Health
With diabetes you can also have cardiovascular issues too. You can help your body by maintaining the appropriate role of your blood vessels and making certain that your blood circulates properly by adding cauliflower to your diet. If you already do eat cauliflower, make sure you stick with it. It’s a huge benefit for your cardiovascular system.
4) Macular Degeneration
Cauliflower is packed with antioxidants and vitamin C which aids in the protection against macular degeneration which can possibly lead to becoming blind especially in folks who are elderly. There are ailments that oxidative stress may cause such as vision impairment and cataracts.
But these can be prevented by the compound sulfuraphane in cauliflower that is quite successful in protecting damage to your retinal tissues.
5) Your Immune System
I want to make something perfectly clear. With type 2 diabetes and any disease, inflammation is the enemy and the cause! Cauliflower can help you to strengthen your immune system to fight off these two toxic bad boys! Once again, vitamin C comes into play here because it can stop inflammation in its tracks by halting different infections and providing help by adding strength to the your defense processes of your body.
6) Nervous System
Once again the compound sulforaphane that cauliflower contains, plays a major role in slowing down any progression of a neurodegenerative disease. It basically is responsible for treating injuries to the nervous system.
Additionally, it guards against oxidative stress found in Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s disease (also known as type 3 diabetes) which are also associated with diabetes.
7) Cancer Prevention
Cauliflower has something inside of it called indole-3-carbinol which consist of anti-estrogen and chemopreventive effects which help to impede growing of cancer cells. It’s well known in the health field that consuming vegetables that are categorized in the brassica family such as cabbage, turnips, kale, broccoli, and of course cauliflower, can be beneficial in lessening risks of certain cancers such as prostate, ovarian, ling, breast, and bladder cancers. Eat your cauliflower!
You can help to prevent LDL bad cholesterol, decrease oxidative stress, help raise your HDL good cholesterol, and lower your blood pressure from the sulforaphane in cauliflower. Hypertension will cause many problems if you don’t keep it under check by monitoring it regularly. You can help to prevent hardening of your arteries too with the Omega 3 fatty acids that cauliflower contains.
This is a nutrient that is essential for your health and that a great deal of folks have a deficiency of. It has a variety of functions that are necessary in your body. Choline has a major role in producing neurotransmitters which are responsible for your nervous system being healthy. It is extremely helpful for impeding any buildup of cholesterol in your liver.
If you are deficient in choline you may be at a higher risk for heart disease and liver disease, not to mention Alzheimer’s and dementia too. Cauliflower is one of the few vegetables that contains choline. Broccoli is another one too. In fact it’s my favorite vegetable!
10) Vitamin K
Cauliflower has a good amount of vitamin K. This is vital because it has a major role when it comes to clotting. This is very important to people who are deficient in this vitamin because after experiencing any type of injury, they are prone to the development of bleeding excessively and bruising thereafter. While there’s 16.2 mcg of vitamin K in one cup of cooked cauliflower, it provides the necessity for the health of your bones as well.
11) Bone Health
The production of collagen is possible because of the significant amounts of vitamin C. This is extremely beneficial in protecting your joints and bones from inflammation. And studies performed suggested that collagen may also treat osteoporosis and rheumatoid arthritis. So getting adequate amounts of vitamin K can help you to avoid bone fractures and bone loss.
You want to keep your digestive tract healthy and cauliflower can assist in that because of its high water and fiber content. This in turn prevents constipation and can also decrease your risk for colon cancer. By making sure that you enough fiber, it will encourage regularity and this is crucial for toxins to be excreted through stools and bile.
The high fiber content is just so important because it reduces your risk for developing diseases such as stroke, heart disease, high blood pressure, and type 2 diabetes. Glucosinolate is responsible for lowering your risk of digestive issues such as leaky gut syndrome by protecting the lining of your stomach which could be vulnerable.
The absorption of iron in your body is vital. And vitamin C with its high content is responsible. Once again it’s the vitamin C that cauliflower provides that prevents the negative effects that phytonutrients do to impede the absorption of iron. And vitamin C allows iron to be released from the healthy foods such as vegetables and fruits.
This mineral is responsible for lowering blood pressure, reducing your risk of heart disease and stroke. But it also controls the function of your muscles and your heart and regulates and balances your electrolytes. Cauliflower has 320 mg of potassium.
Nobody wants to suffer from any disease and an inflammatory bowel disease such as colitis is surely no exception. Dues to its anti-inflammatory properties, cauliflower provides protection against ulcerative colitis. This is due to the fact that a chemical compound known as phenyl isothiocyanate is responsible for repairing tissues in the colon. Cauliflower sure is looking very powerful now, isn’t it? 🙂
Too much of a buildup of uric acid can result in gout and kidney stones. There are purines in cauliflower that can break down to form this uric acid and too much uric acid can cause the problems. Don’t overdo it. It takes a lot but in my opinion I would have only a moderate amount of cauliflower on my menu.
There are many foods that can give you gas. It’s possible to experience gas in your digestive tract because of the complex carbs that cauliflower consists of that do not necessarily get broken down to entirely and thus giving you gas.
Severe Allergic Reaction
You could have a severe body reaction known as anaphylaxis. Stop with cauliflower if you have any symptoms such as itching, breathing issues or swelling on any parts of your body. Call your physician at once or dial emergency for immediate help!
Is Cauliflower Good for Diabetics? It’s not only good for diabetics is great for your health otherwise. It’s part of a healthy diet for diabetics and being low on the glycemic index and low in carbs and calories, it makes for an excellent choice to be on your diabetic menu. Vegetables such as cauliflower should always be on your plate at meal time and they are beneficial to helping your diabetes so stock up.
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds.
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight loss and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Excellent Accuracy: metene TD-4116 blood glucose meter and strips are produced with industry-leading chips and biosensor, equipped with industry-leading technologies, conducive to get accurate and reliable measurements
- No Coding: The blood sugar meter gets into measure status automatically once insert the blood sugar test strip to the bottom of the slot, easy to use and easy to read with large display for the senior
- Fast and Reduce Pain: This blood glucose monitor takes just 7s and 0.7µl blood to get the glucose value; The lancing device has 5 depth options to minimize wound and reduce pain
- Better Data Management: This glucometer stores the newest 450 blood glucose values and display the continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average; the measurements could be exported with windows-based software; help you track and manage your blood glucose better
- Diabetes Testing Kit 207 Piece Set: 100 glucometer strips, 100 30G lancets, 1 blood sugar meter, 1 lancing device, 1 control solution, 2 batteries, 1 protective wallet and 1 user manual; Please feel free to contact us if any problem when using this Diabetes testing kit
- Support cardiovascular health & blood sugar levels with the PurePremium blood sugar support dietary supplement, which contains essential vitamins, minerals and herbs.
- Support healthy glucose metabolism by adding our all-natural heart health supplement to your diet. Our advanced cardiovascular support capsules contain cinnamon, mulberry, vitamin c, vitamin e, magnesium, zinc, licorice root extract and manganese.
- Support blood cholesterol levels and make sure that your heart is healthy and strong. Support healthy insulin function and bolster your immune system against harmful free radicals.
- Our easy-to-swallow capsules support healthy glucose levels and your metabolism at the same time.
- Formulated in the USA. Every PurePremium product comes from an inspected, and GMP certified facility right here in the USA.
- INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS. Insufficient blood applied to test strip will result in wrong readings. Please hold the lancing device firmly against your fingertip for enough sample. Watch our instructional videos in our listings to optimize your testing results. Our friendly customer support will always be here to answer your questions and help to resolve your concerns. (30 Day Money Back Guarantee)
- EXCEEDS INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS. AUVON BGMs can function within ±10%, or ±10 mg/dl of laboratory values over 95% of the time, which is far beyond ISO 15197:2013 passing standard (within ±15% or ±15 mg/dl). The manufacturer is certified with CE mark, GMP, ISO 13485:2016, and ISO 15197:2013 without having any recall on the market in the past 14 years.
- CUTTING-EDGE TEST STRIPS. We use cutting-edge test strips enzymes for blood glucose measurements. Our test strips are produced with unique Automatic Carbon Printing Technique to ensure that the quality of each batch of strips could be relevantly much more stable, precise and accurate. Additionally, PROMISED 0.15USD/pcs would keep you no pressure to repurchase.
- KEEP TRACK OF DATA. Store your test results with time and date helps you track and manage your health while also keeping a continuous 7/14/30 average results. Automatic off means our device works longer without having to worry about wasting battery life.
- ALL IN ONE: 1 x AUVON DS-W Blood Glucose Monitor, 1 x battery, 50 x Blood Test Strips, 50 x 30 gauge Lancets, 1 x Lancing device, 1 x Meter User Guide, 1 x Test Strip User Guide, Our Exclusive Lifetime Warranty and Technical Support and Friendly Customer Service.
Last update on 2021-05-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API