What is the connection between Diabetes and Fatigue? Can diabetes cause fatigue? You can be fatigued for many reasons including worrying, but when you’re a diabetic, it’s more of a cause of being tired all the time. I will get into detail about diabetes and why you may be feeling fatigued all the time.
Why Does Diabetes Make You Tired all the Time?
Since having diabetes means you don’t have enough insulin and your blood sugar levels are too high, and in turn causing your fatigue. So if you’re not getting enough sleep, this will tire you throughout your day affecting your blood sugar level control and can impact you for other health factor risks. It seems to be a merry-go-round. Not really merry now, is it?
I have to say that, I know I speak for millions of people who have insomnia or can’t sleep for a variety of reasons, that not getting the adequate amount of shuteye just takes it’s toll on you and you feel like a walking zombie the next day and you can’t see straight.
Whatever the reason or reasons for not sleeping, we just want a solution. It makes us almost to the point where we can’t function and even complete the simplest tasks. Eating a well balanced diet is a tremendous help! You want to experience weight loss for diabetes too.
Being a diabetic, you’re more apt to be dehydration. If your blood sugar levels are high, chances are high too that you’re dehydrated too. Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
It’s imperative to know the connection between depression and fatigue, because fatigue can be a common symptom of depression. With diabetes, it’s even two times as common to be fatigued.
I’ve mentioned stress in another article and it goes without saying that stress cause fatigue. Not to mention that it wreaks havoc with your sugar levels as well. Control stress at all costs. It will take a toll on your health.
I think most folks know that too much caffeine keeps you from falling asleep and in addition is connected to high blood sugar levels and linked to insulin resistance as well. Stick with apple cider vinegar instead of caffeine. I’m not a fan of caffeine anyway.
I can relate to this because when your sugars are high, your kidneys are trying to remove the excess sugar. It’s the middle of the night bathroom trips that can make you fatigued if you’re getting up more than once and not falling back to sleep. One tip is to try and not drink too much before bedtime to avoid frequent urination.
Not getting enough or any exercise at all is NOT a good thing. Go walking, ride a bike. You want to improve your insulin sensitivity, cholesterol levels and exercise of any kind will help you achieve this. Get an exercise bike. It may be wise to look into supplements for help too. It will aid in your fatigue problem, just don’t do any heavy exercising.
Fatigue and Early Symptoms of Diabetes
The feeling you get from being tired from diabetes is most likely due to high blood sugar. Insulin isn’t removing the glucose from your bloodstream and your cells require sugar for energy, but your sugar levels are probably out of whack thus causing your tiredness.
If your cells aren’t getting the sugar it needs for fuel because it isn’t entering your cells normally, then guess what? Your cells aren’t getting the fuel they need to burn producing and energy and there you go! Tired, fatigue sets in!
Insulin resistance is when your body doesn’t use insulin any longer for the way it’s meant to function. This is vital to your health. Right now, I’d like to also point out that it’s possible to have high blood sugar and not even experience any symptoms.
But let’s also keep in mind that there ARE symptoms that should attract your attention such as:
- Weight loss or weight gain
- Urinating frequently
- Constantly being thirsty
- Excessive time for cuts and wounds to heal
- Any change in vision, blurriness or other signs
What Role Does Vitamin B12 Play?
As far as I’m concerned, next to Vitamin D, this vitamin is the next most important if not equally important for you. Whether you’re fatigued from diabetes or another ailment, you really should have your vitamin B12 levels checked.
Nerve damage or peripheral neuropathy is another side effect of diabetes. High blood glucose over a period of time is the cause of this.
For me, it’s numbness in my feet, but it could also affect your hands and other parts of the body with weakness as well. And you don’t have to be a diabetic to develop neuropathy.
Possible Symptoms of B12 Deficiency
Why you Don’t Want a Vitamin B12 Deficiency
To get straight to the point: it means you don’t have enough healthy red blood cells. Your cells need oxygen and you develop anemia, your cells become deficient in oxygen. Anemia can lead to dementia, irregular or fast heartbeat, shortness of breath and even lose your sense of smell and sense of taste.
Possible symptoms of anemia are:
Watch the Video Below for More About Blood Sugar and Fatigue
Importance of Vitamin B12
There are many important benefits for proper levels of B12:
- Like Vitamin D, it aids in protecting against lung, colon, breast, and prostate cancers.
- Maintains and keeps your digestive system healthy
- Protects the heart against high blood pressure, stroke and keeps cholesterol levels in check
- Extremely beneficial in cell production for your healthy skin and hair
- Regulates the nervous system. This makes it possible to reduce the chances of stress and depression
- Vitamin B12 decreases fatigue and adds to the production of more energy by converting carbs into glucose in your body
How to Combat Diabetes Fatigue
Fatigue in itself is one thing. Fatigue related to diabetes shows symptoms of frequent urination, weight gain or loss, and excessive thirst. Let’s talk about diabetes and energy:
Lack of Energy
Being immobile, laying around and not doing anything. The less movement, the less your cells use blood sugar.
Any exercise that requires movement such as household chores. Just get moving!
Lack of Energy; Stress
Being stressed and who isn’t? Too much stress affects your sugar levels and that robs you of energy.
Slow down. Think first before you let stress get the better of you. Take a moment to think before you react to stress and then talk it out, but don’t rush your speech. One word at a time.
Lack of Energy; Medication
Some medications that you take for diabetes or other ailments can cause fatigue too.
Speak with your physician if you feel that your medications may make you tired. He or she may choose to adjust your meds. They also want to be careful and make sure that hypothyroidism or anemia are not the culprit keeping you dragging all the time. There are supplements that are beneficial for lowering your blood sugar too.
Lack of Energy; Blood Sugar Numbers
Too high or too low blood sugar numbers are the cause.
Check your glucose levels regularly with a reliable test meter and see your doctor often.
Diabetes Fatigue Treatment
- Perform breathing and relaxation exercises.
- Spend time with loved ones, pets, or anything that calms you. Avoid the stress people!
- Do something relaxing. Watching fish in an aquarium is soothing and relaxing. This also helps in lowering your blood pressure.
- Take up yoga. It is wonderful for your mind and body.
- Walk. Take your favorite music and listen on your headphones. This is my favorite.
- See your doctor. Make sure you don’t have anything else that would cause fatigue.
- Make a plan. Keep a log and check your sugars often. What are your energy levels at different times of the day and night? Write them down.
- Eat healthy foods that give you energy.
Planning for a Good Quality Night’s Sleep
You should plan for a good night’s sleep because otherwise you’ll be tired and dragging the next day. Set up a routine and follow it. Go to bed at the same time each night and don’t eat too close to bedtime or do any heavy exercise before you turn in. Your bedroom should be a temperature that is comfortable for you.
Keep the room dark from any light obstructions and keep electronics such as computers and TV’s off. For me though, the TV relaxes me a bit, but that’s just me. You may be different. Do what works for you. If you can sleep well, then you won’t feel fatigued the next day, but you’ll still have to be working on the diabetes issue, if indeed that is the cause of your fatigue.
So is there a connection between diabetes and fatigue? Controlling your diabetes and sugar levels helps you with fatigue and other diabetic issues. Keep your blood sugars in the normal range to avoid fatigue.
I really hoped you enjoyed this article because it is important and I really wanted to share it with you. If you have any questions about fatigue and diabetes, please leave a comment below. I would really appreciate it. Thank you!
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Rothchild, Sascha (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 336 Pages - 04/19/2022 (Publication Date) - G.P. Putnam's Sons (Publisher)
- ✅ QUICK AND EASY TO USE: Care Touch blood sugar test kit delivers results in only 5 seconds with just a 0.5µL blood sample. There is no programming needed since our blood sugar monitor kit automatically recognizes batch codes encrypted on Care Touch glucose test strips. Our state-of-the-art glucometer kit with strips and lancets includes single-touch strip ejection, so you can hygienically remove used diabetic test strips.
- ✅ EASY DIABETIC MONITORING: The blood sugar monitor kit with strips is capable of saving up to 300 readings. The blood glucose test kit also provides a continuous 14-day average of your readings, making glucose monitoring easy for you and your healthcare provider.
- ✅ PORTABLE AND HASSLE-FREE: The diabetic testing kit comes with a handy glucometer case, which means you can check your blood sugar level at home or anywhere else while staying organized. The 10-depth lancing device and lancets will help make blood sugar testing almost painless and hassle-free.
- ✅ COMPLETE DIABETIC SET: The glucose meter kit with strips and lancets includes: (1) Care Touch Blood Sugar Meter, (100) Blood Glucose Test Strips for diabetes, (1) Lancing Device, (100) Lancets for diabetes testing, (1) 3 Volt Lithium Battery, (1) Glucose meter case for your blood sugar tester and diabetic supplies
- ✅ WE CARE BECAUSE YOU CARE: You care about your health, and we care about you. Care Touch is committed to providing the best quality blood glucose monitoring systems. Our care doesn’t end when your sugar tester diabetes kit arrives at your door. We’re fully dedicated to your satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns about your glucose monitor kit with strips and lancets - contact us at any time.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- PUREHEALTH RESEARCH - Blood Sugar Formula 3 Bottles
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- A DOCTOR-APPROVED NATURAL FORMULA. Seventeen potent ingredients, each scientifically proven to have a significant effect at helping balance your glucose levels, improve glucose sensitivity, protect delicate cells from free radicals, and energy
- HIGH POTENCY. PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help you support healthy blood glucose levels
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: supports healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency support for 365 days a year; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health; daily support for healthy blood glucose levels, 365 days a year
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
Last update on 2022-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API