Best supplements to lower blood sugar
Shouldn’t I have the most weapons possible in my arsenal against diabetes? You’re darn right I should! Supplements to lower blood sugar are another option in the task in controlling my blood sugar.
The fact of the matter is there are so many supplements out there. So you need to know which are beneficial for controlling blood sugar. I’ll discuss the top nutritional supplements for diabetes here.
Supplements for blood sugar control-pick and choose
First off, let’s remember that you should consult with your physician before taking any supplement for any reason. It pays to be safe. Let the doctor know what you plan on taking. They will advise you just to make sure that there are no conflicts with any medication that you are currently on. I’m just going to put things into simple terms that are understandable and let you decide. Deal? Ok then…
- Chromium– It is necessary for proper metabolism. In addition it is a big contributor to level blood sugar levels.
- Magnesium– Responsible for numerous chemical reactions in your body which is why it supports blood sugar levels too. It accomplishes this by increasing insulin sensitivity and therefore supporting glucose in a healthy state as well.
- Cinnamon– Cinnamon has been shown to slow the absorption of carbohydrates and digestion and increasing insulin sensitivity. It is a very powerful antioxidant. I take cinnamon every morning without fail.
- Fenugreek– Again like magnesium, the seeds of the fenugreek plant aid in slowing of digestion and carbohydrate absorption and help stimulate insulin.
- Ginseng– It’s not only good for blood sugar, it has other health benefits as well.
- Silymarin– This extract of milk thistle that has antioxidants is another supplement that can aid in lowering blood sugar and can even help with losing weight.
- Coconut oil– This not only is an excellent source for many health issues, but can be a factor in reducing insulin resistance as well.
- Turmeric– Can help increase the effects of your diabetes medication. You must be careful with hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). I take turmeric every morning because it has many health benefits too such as being an anti inflammatory and lowering your risk of heart disease.
- Alpha lipoic acid– Your body’s tissues and organs need to be protected from free radicals and this will not only do that with its antioxidants, it aids in converting glucose into energy for your cells. Again, it helps to increase the insulin sensitivity.
- Vitamin D– This one is extremely important for you! I take 1000 IU of vitamin D3 everyday. This vitamin is probably the most important vitamin for your health because 75 % of U.S. people are deficient in vitamin D, which is nicknamed the sunshine vitamin because we get vitamin D from the sun. This is one reason for everything from heart disease to cancer and diabetes, according to recent studies. Most people don’t get their vitamin D levels checked and I can tell you that other than taking vitamin B-12? This is the one and ONLY other vitamin that I take because it IS that important.
These supplements can all help your blood pressure. A few other natural supplements to regulate your blood sugars are vitamin B-6 and B-3. Add to that Alpha-lipid acid (mentioned above), which is an antioxidant made by the body. It helps make energy and reduces nerve damage caused by diabetes.
Bitter Gourd also helps in the quest of regulating blood sugars. The Chinese have used it for centuries. And Chromium Polynicotinate is an organic mineral that’s essential for the metabolism of carbohydrates, protein and fat. It also restores blood glucose balance.
The next step is to choose which supplements I want to try and discuss it with my physician. THAT is what is important! Now, just because my physician may say it’s ok to try, doesn’t mean that I don’t follow instructions! I read the labels! I don’t want interactions with my diabetes medication. Also, I don’t have to take a zillion supplements, I exercise and I sleep well. I want to have open my eyes to visions of a new day.
Read the labels, please?
Like anything else you take, read the labels. I EVER take more that the dosage suggested on the label. If I miss taking it one time, I let it go. Do NOT double up on the next one. It’s common sense. Only buy the smallest amount of a supplement to see if it agrees with you (with no side effects) and to find out if the particular one that you picked is helping to lower my blood sugar. I can also choose others if that’s the case. No sense in wasting money.
How is diabetes affecting my life right now?
Only I know how long I’ve had diabetes. How has it changed my life? I thought about it. I sat down and wrote a list. Think. What other health issue might I have that affects my diabetes? To be honest? For me, one thing has been the weight issue. I’ve been on the roller coaster forever. So, at the top of my list is proper eating and more exercise, such as bicycle riding or riding my foldable exercise bike and I work to keep belly fat to a minimum. It MUST be a permanent lifestyle change. Otherwise, once I give up (NOT ALLOWED), I would go right back to where I started and then some.
I stopped looking at others and being envious or jealous
Unless being envious is an additional incentive to change my life and get to where I would be happy and healthy. But jealousy? Nope. Again, not permitted. That’s what life’s all about. I know, you want to be happier and controlling diabetes and it’s side effects may hold you back from living the happiest life you can and deserve! That’s why I’m here now to help you. Choose your food wisely too.
Goals and dreams? What are they?
Everyone has goals. Everyone has dreams. I write them down and read them everyday. Out loud. I don’t forget. Think positive. Use common sense. Don’t keep my head stuck up in the dream cloud without doing something each and everyday to reach and fulfill my dreams. There is only one way to get ANYTHING accomplished>>>>>>> A-C-T-I-O-N
And if these supplements still aren’t enough, here is another that works best! With that said, I’d appreciate any feedback below that you would have so that we can work together and discuss any further issues here. Onward to happy and healthy! You can do it! Please leave your comments below.