There are many fruits that are good for you if you have diabetes. But Are Pears Good For Diabetics? Pears are an excellent snack for diabetics because they have a low glycemic index of only 38! They are also low in calories (100) and carbohydrates (26 grams). The key for a snack that is good for someone with diabetes in a low calorie, low carb, combination.
What Can Pears Offer You?
The glycemic index is the scale of how a particular food will affect your sugar. So the fact is that certain foods contain carbohydrates that raise your blood sugar and anything on the scale that is under 55 is considered a low glycemic food and pears are a great choice coming it at 38.
So we know that fruits have sugar. You might think that they are off limits when it comes to diabetes. That’s just not true, unless a specific fruit is high on the glycemic chart of over 55. Now you may or may not like pears. I love pears and since you’re reading this, I’m betting that you do too!
So what’s another reason for eating pears when you’re a diabetic? Well, in one word, fiber. Pears are high in fiber. But just like apples, you should eat pears with the skin on. A pear that is medium in size contains 5 grams of fiber. It’s just that important for you to have fiber in your diet and especially when you have type 2 diabetes.
Just what exactly does fiber do for you? It’s vital for your health because it not only helps control your blood glucose levels, it helps with lowering your cholesterol, and aiding in maintaining your weight. So if you want to lessen the chance of spiking your blood sugar by having reducing the absorption of carbohydrates into your bloodstream, then have a snack such as a pear that will help you do this!
Let’s face it. We all get the sweet tooth cravings, don’t we? We don’t have to succumb to the unhealthy cookies and candies calling our name. Pears can solve your sweet cravings and in a healthy way. Whether you have a pear or cut it up into pieces with fat-free whipped cream is your choice. Either way you’ll kill two birds with one stone by satisfying your craving and not raising your blood sugar!
Research has shown that having a diet that is deficient in fiber could increase your risk of developing heart disease and type 2 diabetes. Pediatricians suggest early on the we have a diet with lots of fiber for this reason. I remember our pediatrician suggesting pears for our daughter and she loved them! Pears have both insoluble and soluble fiber which is equally important.
Watch the Video Below for Additional Benefits of Pears
Health Benefits of Pears
1) Losing Weight
Calories are always of the the biggest concerns when it comes to losing weight especially when it comes to fruit. But with pears you’ don’t have to be concerned because a medium sized pear is around 100 calories.
That’s just a mere 5% of your daily total allowance. And they do provide you with a lot of healthy nutrition. You can get a lot from pears as far as energy too along with fiber that fills you up and resulting in weight loss.
2) Cancer Prevention
Why are antioxidants so important? They consist of anti-cancer properties which pears contain. This has been linked to preventing such cancers such as breast, colon, rectum, and lung cancers. It makes sense that a natural food such as pears would have the benefits of preventing these horrible diseases. A pear a day as they say. 🙂
3) Enhance Circulation
It’s not a good thing if you have poor circulation. If you are deficient in iron and are suffering from anemia, you’ll want to boost your iron intake. Pears offer iron and copper and have large amounts of both that will aid in the absorption of minerals into your system.
Because pears are high in copper and iron, you can help to weakness of your muscles, averting the breakdown of organs in your system, avoiding fatigue, and affecting your memory and thinking skills. So if pears can help you with these important issues, why wouldn’t you have them as part of your diet? They would be a part of my diet if they weren’t already!
4) Heals Wounds Faster
Pears can enhance the speeding up of your wounds in healing them faster. To me sometimes, it takes too long for a wound to heal. You want to encourage the health of your skin and your joints. This is done by expediting a protein that comes from vitamin C in pears known as collagen.
Because of this process your collagen can be functioning at its maximum rate and at the time your immune system is working to repair your body inside, your wounds will be healing faster on the surface of your skin.
Nobody likes being constipated. What you want to to is obviously avoid being low in fiber and being dehydrated. That will do it for sure! You don’t want to get to where it’s constipation that’s chronic and requires a doctor’s attention.
Pears can offer both fiber and water since they consist of ample amounts of both. Drinking plenty of water and getting fiber from other foods is going to help this situation as well. But the fiber from pears is also going to help with your gut as far as probiotics as well.
And because the probiotic bacteria are good bacteria that are part of your immune system defense against illnesses and diseases, you’re doing your body more good than you know!
6) Cognitive Health
I mentioned before that pears have high amounts of copper and a medium sized pear can be extremely beneficial for your nervous system. Senses of the brain that can help you to remember better and learn more are affected and can strengthen them.
There is a very strong antioxidant in pears called quercetin. This is powerful in the protection against type 3 diabetes or otherwise known as Alzheimer’s disease. You can only get this disease if you have diabetes.
7) Blood Pressure
Hypertension is dangerous and can cause a boatload of trouble. It can lead to strokes, heart attacks, and a host of other health issues you don’t want a part of. But the quercetin in pears is a powerful antioxidant that not only is helpful with your cognitive health, it also plays a huge role in maintaining a normal blood pressure.
Don’t take high blood pressure lightly! Check your own or have your doctor check it regularly because your life depends on it!
8) Your Colon
It’s fiber that you want and need to have a healthy colon, keep your stomach and digestive system functioning and helping to prevent colon cancer. You’ll get 5 % of your daily value of fiber from a normal sized pear. But always include the skin because half of the fiber is in the skin itself.
9) Your Vision
I always say that my eyes are the most important thing to me! With diabetes and age as well, you want to take extra care for your eyes. Pears happen to be on the top of the fruit list when it comes to benefits for your eyes and your vision.
10) Immune System
Why is your immune system so vital to your health? It’s because it keeps your body free from disease and illness and keeps you alive. Your immune system can help you if you help it.
You need vitamins and nutrients such as vitamins B2, B3, B6, folate, C, and vitamin K to help make your immune system be strong and these vitamins are all found in pears. Keep your immune system strong by eating a medium sized pear a day. That’s all you need!
11) Osteoporosis Prevention
This is a disease that usually affects the elderly and it takes away the strength from your bones which makes them a target for breaking more easily. The way to combat this is with calcium and pears can surely provide enough calcium for you.
12) Cholesterol Levels
When you think of high cholesterol levels, you think of your heart right away. It’s important to have the proper HDL (good) cholesterol, and LDL (bad) cholesterol numbers. You do want to do anything you can to prevent strokes and heart attacks and pears again can help with an extremely powerful compound known as pectin which is found in the skin of both pears and apples.
You want your body to flush all the toxins out through healthy bowel movements and bile. The water and fiber content in pears will help you to accomplish this. One reason that pears are so beneficial in this matter is because they are 90% water and that makes a smooth bowel movement to flush out the toxins properly.
Side Effects of Pears
Too much of anything is not good for you no matter what it is. But I want to mention a few things that you should know about eating too many pears. And of course, I want to also mention that anything you do should be approved by your doctor. So consult with him or her with everything you do! Safety first!
Excessive Pears for Digestion
One medium pear a day is good and healthy for you. It helps your digestive system. Too many pears? Not good. It’s because they could interrupt the absorbing of nutrients into your body.
Medications for Hypertension
Because pears contain potassium that helps to lower blood pressure, you’ll want to be careful if you’re taking blood pressure medications because you certainly don’t want your blood pressure going too low!
Are Pears Good For Diabetics? Absolutely! Don’t overdo it. You know how healthy they are and are good they are for your blood sugars because of their low glycemic index. Take advantage of this wonderful fruit for your health. It will not spike your blood sugar and there aren’t many side effects either. It’s a good choice to have if you’re a diabetic.
End Your Type 2 Diabetes
Click the Button Below
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Rothchild, Sascha (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 336 Pages - 04/19/2022 (Publication Date) - G.P. Putnam's Sons (Publisher)
- ✅ QUICK AND EASY TO USE: Care Touch blood sugar test kit delivers results in only 5 seconds with just a 0.5µL blood sample. There is no programming needed since our blood sugar monitor kit automatically recognizes batch codes encrypted on Care Touch glucose test strips. Our state-of-the-art glucometer kit with strips and lancets includes single-touch strip ejection, so you can hygienically remove used diabetic test strips.
- ✅ EASY DIABETIC MONITORING: The blood sugar monitor kit with strips is capable of saving up to 300 readings. The blood glucose test kit also provides a continuous 14-day average of your readings, making glucose monitoring easy for you and your healthcare provider.
- ✅ PORTABLE AND HASSLE-FREE: The diabetic testing kit comes with a handy glucometer case, which means you can check your blood sugar level at home or anywhere else while staying organized. The 10-depth lancing device and lancets will help make blood sugar testing almost painless and hassle-free.
- ✅ COMPLETE DIABETIC SET: The glucose meter kit with strips and lancets includes: (1) Care Touch Blood Sugar Meter, (100) Blood Glucose Test Strips for diabetes, (1) Lancing Device, (100) Lancets for diabetes testing, (1) 3 Volt Lithium Battery, (1) Glucose meter case for your blood sugar tester and diabetic supplies
- ✅ WE CARE BECAUSE YOU CARE: You care about your health, and we care about you. Care Touch is committed to providing the best quality blood glucose monitoring systems. Our care doesn’t end when your sugar tester diabetes kit arrives at your door. We’re fully dedicated to your satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns about your glucose monitor kit with strips and lancets - contact us at any time.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- PUREHEALTH RESEARCH - Blood Sugar Formula 3 Bottles
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- A DOCTOR-APPROVED NATURAL FORMULA. Seventeen potent ingredients, each scientifically proven to have a significant effect at helping balance your glucose levels, improve glucose sensitivity, protect delicate cells from free radicals, and energy
- HIGH POTENCY. PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help you support healthy blood glucose levels
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: supports healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency support for 365 days a year; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health; daily support for healthy blood glucose levels, 365 days a year
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
Last update on 2022-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API