You’ve heard the expression, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away!” It’s true! But for diabetics it may paint a slightly different scenario. But Are Apples Good For Diabetics? Apples do contain carbohydrates which do have an impact on your blood sugar levels. But these are not the same carbs and do not have the same effect on your blood sugar as the sugars that are in junk foods.
What do Diabetics Have to Look Forward to with Apples?
So apples happen to be just about the most favorite fruit in the entire world. They are high in several antioxidants, fiber, and vitamin C. The nutritious parts of the apple are the skin and inner flesh which gets soft as it ripens.
There happens to be over 7,000 varieties of apples and they come in the colors of yellow, green, and red.
Why are Apples so Nutritious?
They keep the doctor away for many reasons. Apples happen to contain nutrients, organic compounds, minerals, and vitamins C, B6, and vitamin K. The specific minerals in apples are manganese, copper, magnesium, and potassium. By having an apple each day you are getting over 10% of your daily fiber.
How Apples can be Used for Consuming
From straight from the tree to the inside of your refrigerator, there are many ways to have your apples. You can have them in fruit salads, mince them, bake, mash, or even have them frozen. Another dish that comes to mind is apple pie. But before we dive into sweet desserts, let’s talk about how apples affect blood sugar and diabetes.
Apples and their Effect on Diabetes
You may lower your risk of getting diabetes by eating apples because of the antioxidants they contain. Research showed that people who had an apple a day lowered their risk of type 2 diabetes by almost 30% than those who didn’t eat them. There are numerous reasons why apples may help to prevent diabetes but the antioxidants play an important role.
What do the antioxidants do? They can help prevent chemical reactions that are harmful in your body. So while they are responsible for many health benefits, the most important one is helping protect your body from chronic disease.
So what are these antioxidants and what is their specific role? The first is chlorogenic acid which helps the body with using sugar more effectively. The second is quercetin which aids in slowing down your digestion of carbohydrates which helps to stop having spikes in your blood sugar. And the third is is phlorizin which can slow down your absorption of sugar and also lowering your sugar levels.
I feel that since apples are healthy for you in so many ways, why wouldn’t you eat them to get the most benefits in helping you with lowering your blood sugars and diabetes? So if you have apples on a consistent basis, it can help you to avoid type 2 diabetes and keep your blood sugar levels in check. Always make sure you check your blood sugar levels regularly.
Having an apple gives you the feeling of being full without the calories. They are also a great source of fiber, but also contain carbs. Knowing how many carbohydrates you’re having each day is important. Not all carbs are the same. Something that you should be aware of is that there are three things that can influence what your glucose numbers are at any given time.
Protein, fat, and carbohydrates figure into what your sugar numbers are. Everyone is always talking about carbs and how bad they are for you. Your body needs carbs, but not too many and not all carbs are the same. For example, an medium sized apple has 25 grams of carbs but almost 5 of those are fiber.
The reason this is important is because fiber helps in slowing down the absorption and digestion of these carbs and the result is that your blood sugar doesn’t spike nearly as fast as it normally would.
In addition, fiber has also been shown to help protect against the onset of type 2 diabetes. Fiber helps to improve blood sugar control.
Blood sugar levels are only somewhat affected by the carbs in apples. While the carbohydrates would normally raise blood sugar, the fiber in apples aids in balancing those blood sugar levels. While apples do have sugar in them, it’s the kind of sugar called fructose that has very little effect if any on glucose levels.
Again, since the fiber is slowing down the absorption and digestion of sugar, the bottom line is that because sugar is entering your bloodstream much slower, it doesn’t raise your glucose levels too fast at all.
Since diabetics are four times more likely to have a stroke or heart attack, it’s important to keep your sugar under control. There have been studies done revealing that a diet consisting of an apple a day had a decreased risk of stroke and vascular disease, common with folks with diabetes.
Watch the Video Below for Additional Information About Apples & Diabetes
Adding apples to your daily diet should be fine but you should monitor what you eat and see your doctor regularly. Your doctor should be aware of everything you do and eat. They know what’s best for you. Discuss it with them and have your labs done too.
Apples are healthy for you whether you have diabetes or not. But it doesn’t mean to eat a dozen apples a day. Common sense might dictate one apple a day. And green apples have the least amount of sugar in apples. They are the best of the apples for reducing your risk of type 2 diabetes. There are other fruits that have less sugar are are even healthier too. Berries are the best.
13 Health Benefits of Apples
1) Reduce Cholesterol
Increased levels of LDL, the bad cholesterol are not good for your heart. The fiber that’s soluble contained in apples binds with the fats in your intestines and lowers your cholesterol levels, thus making it heart healthy for you. Let apples help to keep your arteries open. It’s a smart idea.
Gallstones are no fun at all. I know from experience. When your body winds up with excess cholesterol in your bile for it to stay as a liquid and that isn’t good for it becomes a solid and forms stones. Want to help prevent this from happening? A high fiber diet and apples can help you out there. Avoid the junk food and being overweight.
3) Whiter Teeth
This isn’t the be all and end all solution for white and healthier teeth but it does help. By eating and chewing an apple each day, it will help to stimulate more saliva in your mouth. This will result in having less tooth decay by decreasing the amount of bacteria present in your mouth.
4) Immune System
You want to keep your immune system healthy because it keeps you alive. the antioxidant mentioned before, quercetin can help boost and strengthen your immune system and particularly when you are under stress. Stay away from stress as much as possible. It’s that important.
5) Avoid Hemorrhoids
We know these aren’t life threatening but very annoying and painful. Too much pressure in the rectal and pelvic area causes these and can be avoided with fiber in your diet. That’s why an apple a day.
6) Heart Healthy
When you have a buildup of plaque in your arteries, it decreases the blood flow to your heart. The pectin in the skin of the apple helps to prevent cholesterol from getting into your system and having the chance to block the walls of your arteries. This can help to avoid coronary heart disease. Apples for heart healthy!
7) Weight Issues
So obesity is a major health issue for many people and cause a variety of diseases such as high blood pressure, sleep apnea, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease. It’s recommended to have a diet that is rich in fiber as it fills you up without excess calories. Try eating a healthy diet that helps you keep the weight off once you lose it. You don’t want to be gaining the weight back. Change your eating haits permanently.
Your vision is so important and I feel that my vision is the most important thing to me and I never take it for granted. There has been research over a long period of time that involved people eating a diet rich in fruits which contain antioxidants, such as apples, and the results were folks having a 10%-15% less chance of developing cataracts. I don’t want cataracts so I’ll stick with my apple a day then!
Your eyes can actually be stronger at nighttime because of a fairly high amount of vitamin A and vitamin C. Your risk of developing macular degeneration decreases because of vitamin A strengthening your cornea.
Vitamin C has proven scientifically that it slows macular degeneration, lowers your risk of cataracts, and prevents loss of sharpness.
9) Cancer Risk
Apples are linked to lower risks of certain cancers because of their high nutrient content. Studies showed that apples can help to prevent colon cancer, breast cancer, and pancreatic cancer. These are also excellent reasons to have apples in your diet.
10) Decrease Weakness
Patients who showed signs of weakness were given apples to help them recover faster from their particular illness and the apples helped in adding vitality, vigor, and taking away the weakness.
11) Your Liver
Our bodies allow toxins into them constantly whether they come from drinks, or foods or what have you. Your liver is responsible for cleaning these toxins from your body. Fruits, especially apples, help to detoxify your liver.
The symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome are bloating, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and constipation. Healthcare professionals advise staying away from fatty foods and dairy products and to have a high fiber diet. Apples to the rescue!
13) Parkinson’s Disease
You can help protect yourself against Parkinson’s disease by eating fruits and high fiber foods. This is due to the antioxidants’ ability to fight off the free radicals.
One Caution about Apples
While there are many health benefits of apples, the only thing that is toxic and poisonous are the seeds. They contain cyanide and during digestion regular consumption releases cyanide into your stomach. A full cup of apple seeds can lead to possible death so do NOT eat the seeds!
Are Apples Good For Diabetics? The bottom line is that apples are very healthy for you, diabetes or not. You just have to exercise caution and not overdo it. Always check with your physician with any changes in your diet.
Want to Lower Your Blood Sugar?
See the one supplement that works
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds.
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight loss and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Excellent Accuracy: metene TD-4116 blood glucose meter and strips are produced with industry-leading chips and biosensor, equipped with industry-leading technologies, conducive to get accurate and reliable measurements
- No Coding: The blood sugar meter gets into measure status automatically once insert the blood sugar test strip to the bottom of the slot, easy to use and easy to read with large display for the senior
- Fast and Reduce Pain: This blood glucose monitor takes just 7s and 0.7µl blood to get the glucose value; The lancing device has 5 depth options to minimize wound and reduce pain
- Better Data Management: This glucometer stores the newest 450 blood glucose values and display the continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average; the measurements could be exported with windows-based software; help you track and manage your blood glucose better
- Diabetes Testing Kit 207 Piece Set: 100 glucometer strips, 100 30G lancets, 1 blood sugar meter, 1 lancing device, 1 control solution, 2 batteries, 1 protective wallet and 1 user manual; Please feel free to contact us if any problem when using this Diabetes testing kit
- Support cardiovascular health & blood sugar levels with the PurePremium blood sugar support dietary supplement, which contains essential vitamins, minerals and herbs.
- Support healthy glucose metabolism by adding our all-natural heart health supplement to your diet. Our advanced cardiovascular support capsules contain cinnamon, mulberry, vitamin c, vitamin e, magnesium, zinc, licorice root extract and manganese.
- Support blood cholesterol levels and make sure that your heart is healthy and strong. Support healthy insulin function and bolster your immune system against harmful free radicals.
- Our easy-to-swallow capsules support healthy glucose levels and your metabolism at the same time.
- Formulated in the USA. Every PurePremium product comes from an inspected, and GMP certified facility right here in the USA.
- INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS. Insufficient blood applied to test strip will result in wrong readings. Please hold the lancing device firmly against your fingertip for enough sample. Watch our instructional videos in our listings to optimize your testing results. Our friendly customer support will always be here to answer your questions and help to resolve your concerns. (30 Day Money Back Guarantee)
- EXCEEDS INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS. AUVON BGMs can function within ±10%, or ±10 mg/dl of laboratory values over 95% of the time, which is far beyond ISO 15197:2013 passing standard (within ±15% or ±15 mg/dl). The manufacturer is certified with CE mark, GMP, ISO 13485:2016, and ISO 15197:2013 without having any recall on the market in the past 14 years.
- CUTTING-EDGE TEST STRIPS. We use cutting-edge test strips enzymes for blood glucose measurements. Our test strips are produced with unique Automatic Carbon Printing Technique to ensure that the quality of each batch of strips could be relevantly much more stable, precise and accurate. Additionally, PROMISED 0.15USD/pcs would keep you no pressure to repurchase.
- KEEP TRACK OF DATA. Store your test results with time and date helps you track and manage your health while also keeping a continuous 7/14/30 average results. Automatic off means our device works longer without having to worry about wasting battery life.
- ALL IN ONE: 1 x AUVON DS-W Blood Glucose Monitor, 1 x battery, 50 x Blood Test Strips, 50 x 30 gauge Lancets, 1 x Lancing device, 1 x Meter User Guide, 1 x Test Strip User Guide, Our Exclusive Lifetime Warranty and Technical Support and Friendly Customer Service.
Last update on 2021-05-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API