There isn’t a person existing with diabetes that would admit to enjoying pain, especially in your joints. But, Does Diabetes Cause Joint Pain? Pain is not an enjoyable experience and joint pain with diabetes is no exception. Let’s find out what diabetes does when it comes to your joints.
Are You Suffering From Joint Pain & Diabetes?
Have you ever just woken up in the morning and it seems that all your joints ache? Who hasn’t been there? Maybe sometimes it’s one or two joints or just an occasional occurrence. If it isn’t related to diabetes, then it could be a number of reasons.
But if it is related to diabetes, then you would have a 200% better chance of having arthritis and joint pain. Diabetes happens when your body does not produce enough insulin. Without insulin glucose remains in your bloodstream which raises your blood sugar levels.
So diabetes will cause skeletal changes that can lead to symptoms such as joint pain, stiffness, shoulder pain, trigger finger, swelling, and carpal tunnel syndrome just to mention a few. Arthritis can occur with age so you want to do your best to first avoid diabetes.
Diabetes & Arthritis – How You Can Help Both
Joint pain and arthritis are like Clark Kent and Superman. They are one and the same thing. So where the two bones come together is your joint. Ligaments hold the bones in place and attach them to one another and are also attached by tendons to the bones and muscles that allow them to move.
Cartilage which is at the very ends of the bones protects the bones from damage and allows them to move. Cartilage is a substance made up of water, proteins, and fiber from collagen. Cartilage is important for protection and normal wear and tear and also injuries (especially sports injuries) and it can be damaged. Aging is definitely a factor here, but even more of a factor is diabetes because it will make joint damage happen faster.
Excess glucose isn’t good because it adheres to surfaces of the joints which compromises the movement of them. This can lead to an injury from wear and tear. High glucose is never a good thing and with ligaments and tendons especially. Any reduction of flexibility of your joints leads to pain and stiffness. Control your blood sugar because it’s that important. You’ll be thankful later on.
Recently Diagnosed with Diabetes?
SEE THE PRODUCTS YOU NEED TO GET STARTED
Prevention & Treatment of Joint Problems
- Bike riding is good when your joints hurt. Any exercise such as walking helps, but not jogging. But any water aerobic exercise like swimming is excellent for your joints. Swimming is great because you use every muscle in your body. So you might want to take water exercise classes because the weight is carried by the water.
- Stop smoking because it stresses out the connective tissues which can result in more joint pain. Please don’t smoke.
- Losing weight is always a positive thing for any ailment. This is no exception.
- Allow your joints to heal correctly by resting them when they hurt.
- Controlling your blood sugar levels will help to keep your joints from becoming packed with sugar and making them stiff at the same time.
- Capsaicin cream works wonders on pain. I use it all the time. You do want to be careful not to put too much on as it does feel very hot so use caution but it does work wonders.
- Over the counter meds such as ibuprofen, Tylenol, and acetaminophen may help.
- Acupuncture is a viable alternative for joint pain.
- Supplements such as omega -3 fish oils, vitamin D, and glucosamine have been know to help joint pain.
- Physical therapy which can include stretching exercises for tendons and muscles to relax.
- Be careful when performing any daily activities such as laundry and household chores.
Watch the Video Below for More About Diabetes & Joint Pain
Home Remedies for Arthritis Pain
Start by eating foods that fight inflammation. The junk foods, fast foods, processed, sugary, fried foods are just not healthy at all. We all know that. It’s why we feel aches and pains and why are joints bother us. Almost everything can always revert back to the food we put into our bodies. Food is medicine. We’re just taking the wrong medicine. All the foods we love to eat we have to pay a price for. At least it seems that way. It’s much better to consume the healthiest foods. Eating the right foods and exercising can have an amazing effect on your body.
The natural foods that were put on this earth are the ones meant to keep us healthy and live a happier healthier life. Fruits and vegetables are the real medicines we should have. When you talk about these and others such as fish, nuts, onions, olive oils, whole grains, they are the foods that fight inflammation for sure. Here is a list of 10 health benefits that result from turmeric/curcumin.
- Make sure you get enough vitamin C because it produces collagen which is what your joints need and it also rids your body of the free radicals that are destructive and harmful to your joints. The more vitamin C in your diet, the less chance of your arthritis advancing. Just make sure that your vitamin C intake is not all at once and that it’s dispersed throughout the day as your body does not store it.
- Music. Studies have been done regarding music to relax and lower your pain. It doesn’t matter what music you choose just as long as you enjoy it. It’s possible that your reaction to pain is decreased due to your hormone levels being increased. Music does wonders for me.
- Food allergies. Other studies have shown that by eliminating certain foods that are related to allergies such as any foods with gluten, rye, oats, wheat, eggs, and beef would give relief from joint pain because of the acid they contain that promote inflammation.
- Vitamin D. Getting out in the sun for fifteen minutes a day for three times a week will help you get the amount of vitamin D that your body need because it helps in the manufacturing of collagen in your joints. I believe that many people are deficient in vitamin D and probably don’t even know it. I think it’s one of the most important vitamins for our bodies. I take 1000 IU every day. Dairy products contain vitamin D, but sunlight is the best source so go catch some rays!
- Cod liver oil. Ok, I’ll be extremely honest with this. It’s a fish oil and great for pain and stiffness but unless it’s in capsule form, I’m not taking it! Yuck! But thank goodness it is available as a supplemental pill.
- More calcium. Calcium too is important to keep down the risk of osteoporosis, the condition where your bones get brittle if you have rheumatoid arthritis. So, like anything else, eating healthy is the key. Vegetables are the best things you can put into your body, bar none. So you should be consuming kale, broccoli (my favorite), cabbage, turnip greens, and cauliflower. Even though they don’t contain as much calcium as dairy products, they’re still a good choice and are easier on your body as far as absorption.
- Vitamin E as another vitamin that aids in stiffness in the morning and the reduction in pain from rheumatoid arthritis. 1500 IU a day should suffice.
- Cat’s claw can be another herb that can help reduce inflammation and swelling from joint pain.
- Turmeric has many benefits! One of the best being an inflammatory. It can also slow the progression of rheumatoid arthritis. This is one of favorites and I take 500 mg a day for circulation. It’s yellow and found in mustard too.
- Magnesium is great for relieving joint pain and stiffness too. Magnesium relaxes and soothes our nerve endings and muscles too. It has many benefits including to help build stronger bones and increase bone density. Since we can’t produce it ourselves, we have to look elsewhere such as supplements. I take 250 mg daily. But you can also get magnesium in legumes, leafy green vegetables, (spinach is another favorite for me), and nuts.
- Dandelion root which is high in Vitamins A and C, can aid your liver in the cleansing of toxins from your body and repairing tissue that has been damaged. There’s been talk about it fighting cancer as well.
- Extra virgin olive oil is an excellent lubricant for your joints and can help calm the pain from arthritis. One and a half tablespoons daily will do it. Add it to salads or wherever you prefer. You can also take two or three tablespoons and gently massage it onto the joints that are bothering you each day.
- Green tea is a popular drink today It is beneficial for your health in general but will decrease inflammation from arthritis too. I think they should offer this in more restaurants and take the place of soda. It’s much better for you anyway.
- Ginger is another herb that’s good for so many ailments. My mom used to give me ginger ale to calm my stomach when I was a kid. It too is a great inflammatory for joint pain.
- Willow bark is a very old remedy for treating arthritis and inflammation. This supplement is especially helpful for pain in the hips, back, knees, and the neck. And yes, kids can be a pain in the neck! LOL
- You can also try yoga, managing your stress levels, ice packs, heat pads, and massages.
Out of Pain-Controlling Diabetes
The bottom line here is that you want to be out of pain. You don’t want diabetes or at least have to control it. Neither is good, but together is double trouble. Sometimes the only thing that works for ailments is medications. The whole purpose of my website is to try natural methods.
It’s not that I don’t believe in drugs to help a situation, but if there alternatives that don’t involve drugs, then why not go that route? My goal is to help others and nobody wants to be in any kind of pain. Diabetes has to be reversed or at least controlled.
Recently Diagnosed with Diabetes?
SEE THE PRODUCTS YOU NEED TO GET STARTED
Does Diabetes Cause joint pain? Unfortunately, it does. High blood sugars cause diabetes. I sincerely hope that you learned something beneficial to help you with joint pain and arthritis. We don’t have to live in pain. Where there’s a will, there’s a way. You can read about something that will help you all you want. But if you don’t take action, then it’s just knowledge by itself.
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Rothchild, Sascha (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 336 Pages - 04/19/2022 (Publication Date) - G.P. Putnam's Sons (Publisher)
- ✅ QUICK AND EASY TO USE: Care Touch blood sugar test kit delivers results in only 5 seconds with just a 0.5µL blood sample. There is no programming needed since our blood sugar monitor kit automatically recognizes batch codes encrypted on Care Touch glucose test strips. Our state-of-the-art glucometer kit with strips and lancets includes single-touch strip ejection, so you can hygienically remove used diabetic test strips.
- ✅ EASY DIABETIC MONITORING: The blood sugar monitor kit with strips is capable of saving up to 300 readings. The blood glucose test kit also provides a continuous 14-day average of your readings, making glucose monitoring easy for you and your healthcare provider.
- ✅ PORTABLE AND HASSLE-FREE: The diabetic testing kit comes with a handy glucometer case, which means you can check your blood sugar level at home or anywhere else while staying organized. The 10-depth lancing device and lancets will help make blood sugar testing almost painless and hassle-free.
- ✅ COMPLETE DIABETIC SET: The glucose meter kit with strips and lancets includes: (1) Care Touch Blood Sugar Meter, (100) Blood Glucose Test Strips for diabetes, (1) Lancing Device, (100) Lancets for diabetes testing, (1) 3 Volt Lithium Battery, (1) Glucose meter case for your blood sugar tester and diabetic supplies
- ✅ WE CARE BECAUSE YOU CARE: You care about your health, and we care about you. Care Touch is committed to providing the best quality blood glucose monitoring systems. Our care doesn’t end when your sugar tester diabetes kit arrives at your door. We’re fully dedicated to your satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns about your glucose monitor kit with strips and lancets - contact us at any time.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- PUREHEALTH RESEARCH - Blood Sugar Formula 3 Bottles
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- A DOCTOR-APPROVED NATURAL FORMULA. Seventeen potent ingredients, each scientifically proven to have a significant effect at helping balance your glucose levels, improve glucose sensitivity, protect delicate cells from free radicals, and energy
- HIGH POTENCY. PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help you support healthy blood glucose levels
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: supports healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency support for 365 days a year; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health; daily support for healthy blood glucose levels, 365 days a year
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
Last update on 2022-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
12 thoughts on “Does Diabetes Cause Joint Pain? | Natural Methods for Relief”
Very in depth with naturally curing joint pain with diabetes.
I’ve also heard that changing your eating habits can cure a lot inside your body. This came from a video i watched, although it may be a little different, I just thought that it would be thoughtful to share.
Mean green juice/smoothie is absolutely a good choice for naturally curing your health. Otherwise just juicing can cure a lot inside your body physically, mentally and emotionally.
Thanks for your comment Rendell. Changing your eating habits does so much for your body and your health. So many of the diseases and ailments come from poor eating habits. Green smoothie is good for you but what we’re looking at here is controlling diabetes that affects joint pain and also getting rid of the arthritis pain by natural methods.
Great and very detailed article. Thanks. It looks like you have covered almost everything and there are so many great solutions and tips in your article.
You wrote that exercise like walking and riding a bicycle are good, but jogging not. What about doing activities like yoga, chi kung or tai-chi?
Thank you. I try to be as detailed as possible because no pain is enjoyable. Walking is the best and easiest exercise. I ride a lot but don’t jog. In answer to your question, yes yoga, chi kung, and tai-chi are all activities that are good for joint pain.
You really covered the information well. I have diabetes and have studied it and I still found quite a bit in your article I I did not know. I was not aware of glucose adhering to the surface of joints or that diabetes can cause skeletal changes. That makes you sit back and say “WOW, I better take this seriously”.I agree about watching your diet. That is how I keep mine controlled. Thanks for such a thorough article. Lulu
Thanks Lulu. When you have diabetes you begin to learn so much more about it than you did before you were diagnosed. It’s all about either preventing diabetes or controlling it. That’s why I am trying to control it and help others do the same. Joint pain is no fun and we need to know everything we can about what we can do about it. Thank you for your comments!
Hi Rob. I really enjoyed your post because I have a friend who is a diabetic. She is also suffering from severe pain in her right knee. The doctors can’t help her and it is becoming more difficult for her to walk.
As I understand from your post, her diabetes could also be the culprit here. Is this correct?
If that is the case I am definitely going to send her the link to your website. I think she needs to read this.
Thank you for the great advice and tips. I will bookmark your website for regular reference.
Hey Rika. Pain in any part of the body is no fun. While I am not a doctor, the answer to your question is yes. It is a possibility that her joint pain could be diabetes related. What does her doctor have to say about the diabetes? I hope things work out and thank you for your comments.
There is so much good information here.
I didn’t know that excess glucose adheres to surfaces of the joints, compromising the movement of them. I didn’t know that acupuncture is a usable alternative for joint pain.
This is a refreshingly accurate discussion of the facts.
Very helpful. There is a sincerity to this article that I really appreciate.
Thank you. It’s good for people to know about joint pain especially if you have diabetes. The more we know, the better we can change things and hopefully feel better and get healthier. And acupuncture has benefits for many ailments as well. Thank you for your comments and I hope that it helped!
Thanks for this article. Being trained in the fitness industry, I have heard how beneficial water aerobics and swimming in general is for those who suffer from joint pain. The one thing I had never heard of, but am pleasantly surprised by, is that the use of music can lead to a reduction in joint pain. I never even thought of that as a possibility, but it makes a boat-load of sense. Do you happen to know if using certain essential oils can help relieve joint pain?
Hey Steve 🙂
I agree that water aerobics and swimming are excellent exercises for joint pain.
Yes music absolutely helps to reduce joint pain. The issue I have and the point of my article is that diabetes can cause joint pain.
So it would also make sense to control your diabetes which in turn would alleviate the joint pain too.
As far as essential oils for helping to relieve joint pain, you can check this out and it will help you!
Thank you for your feedback! 🙂