Research reveals that cranberries lower blood sugar. Why should you have Cranberries for Diabetes? For one, they contain numerous antioxidants that help lower your blood sugar and control your type 2 diabetes. The best way is by eating fresh cranberries and not from the can. There are 22 grams of sugar in a can of cranberries! WHOA! Learn why cranberries should be in your diabetes diet.
Why are Cranberries Beneficial for Diabetics?
As diabetics, we do NOT want sugar, or at least “added” sugar into natural fruit products. It’s important to know that you can get fresh cranberries and they will keep (in a plastic bag) for 3-4 weeks and you can freeze them for up to a full year!
This awesome fruit also supplies your body with plenty of nutrition that will help you stay healthy. All the research points to the fact that cranberries may lower your blood glucose because of the polyphenols they contain.
If you like cranberry juice, you’ll want to choose a brand such as Ocean Spray that is low calorie and unsweetened because sweetened juice will spike your sugar levels. I drink this all the time. But you want to limit yourself to 2 glasses a day. One of the reasons is that too much cranberry juice can produce kidney stones and you do NOT want them! So exercise caution. That’s all, and you’ll help your blood sugars.
With sugars, you want your food to be low to moderate on the food glycemic index chart. 55 or less is ideal and cranberry juice checks in at between 50-68 . It all depends on the brand the the particular type. You don’t want any food that has a glycemic index of over 70 because that’s in the high range. This is what most other fruits don’t have.
The bottom line is that cranberries can be beneficial for your blood sugars and diabetes. You just have to be cautious about the amount you eat or drink because too much of anything is no good and in this case less than moderate is good and anything more may not be. So just be careful. I love cranberry sauce and if I only have it at Thanksgiving, it isn’t going to be detrimental to my health. I am just cautious.
Health Benefits of Cranberries
Urinary Tract Infections
One of the best benefits of cranberries is for its prevention of urinary tract infections. This is especially beneficial for those individuals with UTI’s occurring repeatedly. It’s the cranberries actually that help and not cranberry juice. Bacteria ceases to stick to the lining of the urinary tract because of the antioxidants in the cranberries.
If you take a cranberry supplement, it may help, but the cranberry juice will not help. In fact, the best way is through the actual cranberries themselves. Juice may help somewhat, but the ingredients in the cranberry juice may help with cleaning out the bacteria, but it never helps your bladder because it doesn’t get a chance to get to the bladder to help. Make cranberries the first choice and cranberry juice the second choice.
Nobody ever wants this. The best way we can avoid it is to protect our bodies by eating healthy foods such as cranberries. There have been studies that showed that cranberries have been able to have definite effects with particular types of cancer such as breast, prostate, lung, and colon cancers and they are also able to reduce the growth of tumors.
This is very encouraging to say the least. Anytime you can eat a natural food that is going to help your health and fight something such as cancer, you can’t pass up this opportunity. Kill cancer instead of it killing you! Be smart and have foods that are good for your body.
In my opinion and as far as all the research I have ever done, inflammation is the cause of every disease and ailment in the body. It is definitely the cause of my type 2 diabetes.
That’s why inflammation MUST be dealt with and cranberries do have that anti-inflammatory effect which help to treat this toxic enemy that our bodies do not need.
Cranberries with their antioxidants have the potential to provide benefits for protection for digestive and stomach issues, the heart and cardiovascular system, of course rheumatoid arthritis which is always a result of inflammation. When you think about, when do most of us have cranberries? Right, Thanksgiving! Well, let’s make every day Thanksgiving from now on.
Check Out the Video below about Cranberries & Blood Sugar
Obesity and weight loss are always a problem. It’s just unhealthy and leads to all sorts of problems and we all know that. Eat healthy and you start to feel and look better. Fruits and vegetables are always the best choices when it comes to food that will help you lose weight and stay fit.
By including cranberries in your diet you are getting that much more help in the weight loss department. They can help you to lose weight because your metabolism and your digestive system begin to improve from the antioxidants in the cranberries cleaning out all the toxins from your body.
There are many issues that can cause heart problems, but two of the biggest are unhealthy eating and the lack of exercise. Cranberries can help your heart be more healthy because of their numerous enzymes and minerals that can be very powerful indeed.
Their job is to unblock and keep your arteries and their linings clear from the LDL bad cholesterol.
Your heart is your most important organ and you need it to function not only properly, but at it’s peak performance. When you know a food such as cranberries can be beneficial to assisting the health of your heart, you would be smart to include it in your diet. Cranberry juice is good, but I only drink the diet cranberry juice because of the sugar content. The regular has too much sugar. The best way to lower your blood sugar is with Curalin.
Losing hair is a common problem among us. Sometimes it’s something that you just can’t prevent. But there are times and things you can do to help with this issue. First off, you can lose your hair through genetics and then of course being unhealthy is going to cause the problem too.
While there are many products out there in the market today to treat your hair loss, the best remedy is always something that is natural. Vitamins are always needed and healthy for your body and vitamin A and vitamin C are necessary for healthy hair and the growth of your hair and cranberries consist of both vitamins.
Everyone wants to look good as they age and also be able to slow down aging as much as possible. You want to have your skin without fine lines and wrinkles. The best foods that are natural such as cranberries can rid your body of the bad boys such as toxins and free radicals that can cause a lot of harm to your body and make you age faster. Take advantage of the antioxidants in cranberries that will help your body achieve a slower aging process.
Bacteria can be good and bad. But in this case in your stomach the bad bacteria can successfully attach themselves to the walls of your stomach and the result can be an ulcer. You can help to protect your stomach and the linings from an ulcer by the polyphenols in cranberries. You’ll be doing your stomach and yourself a big favor for sure.
One of the biggest culprits in our mouths are bacteria. Cranberries contain something called proanthocyanidins that can be beneficial to your mouth because what they do is stop the bacteria from sticking to your teeth. This is also excellent news for your gums as well! Hmm, do they make cranberry toothpaste? 🙂 Actually, they do.
If you want to have your mental capacities remain in precise form, then cranberries are the answer. Those nasty free radicals that cause so much trouble by possibly causing inflammation in your brain and also damage your DNA can be kept in check. This raises your risk for Alzheimer’s Disease or also know as Type 3 Diabetes.
But cranberries have vitamin C and that is the main ingredient for the making of norepinephrine which helps to improve movement function and control and at the same time helps to encourage open communication between your brain cells.
Your colon and digestive system work much better when you eat fiber and cranberries provide plenty of fiber. They will aid in the flushing out your system of toxins and bacteria which gives you a healthy gut and healthy colon. Fiber is excellent for you.
- Cranberries do have a sour taste to them if that doesn’t suit your taste. It’s easy to buy supplements or drink the low calorie unsweetened cranberry juice.
- Cranberries themselves are much healthier than the juice because they contain many more beneficial nutrients and antioxidants than the juice has.
- If you are taking the drug Coumadin, you want to minimize or avoid cranberries or drinking cranberry juice altogether because the ingredients in cranberries weaken Coumadin and raise the anticoagulant result on your body and that may raise your chances of bleeding severely.
Fruits and vegetables are the best for you especially for diabetes. Now you know that Cranberries for Diabetes is a good match. The best fruits for blood sugars on the glycemic index are berries. They have the lowest numbers. So make sure that you have cranberries in your diet. Just don’t overdo it and check with your doctor with anything you do.
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Rothchild, Sascha (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 336 Pages - 04/19/2022 (Publication Date) - G.P. Putnam's Sons (Publisher)
- ✅ QUICK AND EASY TO USE: Care Touch blood sugar test kit delivers results in only 5 seconds with just a 0.5µL blood sample. There is no programming needed since our blood sugar monitor kit automatically recognizes batch codes encrypted on Care Touch glucose test strips. Our state-of-the-art glucometer kit with strips and lancets includes single-touch strip ejection, so you can hygienically remove used diabetic test strips.
- ✅ EASY DIABETIC MONITORING: The blood sugar monitor kit with strips is capable of saving up to 300 readings. The blood glucose test kit also provides a continuous 14-day average of your readings, making glucose monitoring easy for you and your healthcare provider.
- ✅ PORTABLE AND HASSLE-FREE: The diabetic testing kit comes with a handy glucometer case, which means you can check your blood sugar level at home or anywhere else while staying organized. The 10-depth lancing device and lancets will help make blood sugar testing almost painless and hassle-free.
- ✅ COMPLETE DIABETIC SET: The glucose meter kit with strips and lancets includes: (1) Care Touch Blood Sugar Meter, (100) Blood Glucose Test Strips for diabetes, (1) Lancing Device, (100) Lancets for diabetes testing, (1) 3 Volt Lithium Battery, (1) Glucose meter case for your blood sugar tester and diabetic supplies
- ✅ WE CARE BECAUSE YOU CARE: You care about your health, and we care about you. Care Touch is committed to providing the best quality blood glucose monitoring systems. Our care doesn’t end when your sugar tester diabetes kit arrives at your door. We’re fully dedicated to your satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns about your glucose monitor kit with strips and lancets - contact us at any time.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- PUREHEALTH RESEARCH - Blood Sugar Formula 3 Bottles
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- A DOCTOR-APPROVED NATURAL FORMULA. Seventeen potent ingredients, each scientifically proven to have a significant effect at helping balance your glucose levels, improve glucose sensitivity, protect delicate cells from free radicals, and energy
- HIGH POTENCY. PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help you support healthy blood glucose levels
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: supports healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency support for 365 days a year; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health; daily support for healthy blood glucose levels, 365 days a year
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
Last update on 2022-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
14 thoughts on “Cranberries for Diabetes – 11 Reasons to Love Cranberries”
Hi! Nice article on benefits of cranberries! I didn’t know this fruit has so many health benefits. I have to admit that I don’t eat cranberries very often. I think I will go to the market and buy some tomorrow!
I also didn’t know Alzheimer’s disease is Type 3 diabetes. It’s good to know that cranberries help to lower the risk. This disease, in my opinion, is worse than cancer.
Thank you for sharing!
Hey Kai 🙂 Thank you! I wasn’t always big on cranberries either but I sure am now. Once I found out I had type 2 diabetes I looked for everything that could help lower my blood sugars and cranberries was one of them. And because they can help lower your blood sugar, they can also lower your risk of Alzheimer’s too. Thanks for stopping by!
I really love cranberries and buy them fresh, put them in my freezer, and then use them in smoothies or as a late night snack. I new they were a great anti oxidant, but didn’t know they have so many other benefits. I am finally already eating something that is good for me! Everything else I read on your site, I have had to purchase 🙂
Hey Leahrae 🙂 I never used to eat cranberries much other than at Thanksgiving until I realized how healthy they are for you. They are great in smoothies but I’m careful about any sugars that go in them. I do drink a lot of diet cranberry juice. No sugar, I get the benefits and love the taste! And who knew that cranberries offer so many benefits as well? Thank you for sharing your thoughts 🙂
Fantastic article. I don’t have diabetes and I research ways to help my mother in laws and this is an article I will be sending her. With that said I’m going to start eating more cranberries just for the fact of all the health benefits it carries.
Thank you so much for this well written article.
Hey David, Anyway you can help anyone with diabetes is a good thing. The thing with fruit is that is healthy for you and also good for lowering your blood sugar but the best fruits are berries because they are the lowest on the glycemic index which means that have the least amount of sugar. Thank you for your insight!
I always find cranberries to be too tart and bitter for my liking. Do you have any suggestions of ways to eat them that will counter this? I know adding sugar works but is not optimal. Should I just stick to supplements?
Hey Maryann 🙂 I have to agree that cranberries can be a bit on the tart side. They are just so good for you especially if you’re a diabetic. But I will say this, like anything else that the taste is not to your liking. You can mix it in with other foods where the taste isn’t as strong or you can take supplements. I definitely would not be adding sugar! Thanks Maryann for your comments! 🙂
Rob, I’m back…..I reviewed one of your posts a while back. You did an excellent job of explaining the health of cranberries…very thorough! You are right about inflammation, but it’s a symptom, it’s the body’s way of saying to you something is wrong?…..something is causing the inflammation….either stress, or imbalance of hormones, or some other harmful effect? Anyway, I really like what you are doing here. Thanks.
Hey Terry, I’m glad you’re back! I like to go into details and be thorough when it comes to writing about type 2 diabetes. Fruits are healthy for you and good for lowering blood sugars for the most part. But it’s the berries that have the lowest glycemic index of all the fruits which means less sugar. And inflammation? It’s the main cause of every disease and ailment out there! More cranberries and not just for Thanksgiving! Thanks for commenting 🙂
I also love cranberries! I freeze them when I can get them on sale after Christmas and I cook them up and make a syrup from the juice that I add some water to for sugar free cranberry juice.
Hi Irma 🙂 I don’t think enough people realize how good cranberries are for you. Why not take advantage of a fruit that can help to lower blood sugar and not just be a dessert on the Thanksgiving table once a year? Your idea of sugar free cranberry juice sounds great to me! Thank you for your insight! 🙂
Hi I have a prescription of a blood thinner Xarelto and would like to know how fresh cranberries will affect the Xarelto working in my body?? If you know please send me a email entitled “Cranberries” please (email@example.com)
Hi George! While I am not a doctor, this may give you your answer with regards to cranberries and cranberry juice with Xarelto. I hope this helps! Thank you 🙂