There is evidence according to research that eating pistachios on a fairly regular basis will lessen your hormone and insulin proportion and lowers fasting glucose levels. This is great news because we know that eating any kind of nuts is healthy for you. So, How Are Pistachios Good For Diabetics?
Pistachios and the Benefits for Lowering Blood Sugar
It’s important as a diabetic to look for foods that are going to not only be healthy, but ones that help with controlling our blood sugars.
Studies were performed and pistachios were found to be equally vital to help with effects on glucose metabolism. This to me, is obviously what you want to be eating, wouldn’t you agree?
Because pistachios contain zeaxanthin and lutein, these antioxidants are beneficial in the protection of your eyes and for me, my eyes are THE most important thing, bar none!
Besides the antioxidants nuts also contain potassium and fiber. But they also have a higher content of fat, but it’s good fat that your body needs. Pistachios are good for your blood sugar but they are also heart healthy.
You want to protect your heart because folks with diabetes are more likely to die from stroke and heart attack. So all the more reason that pistachios should be a part of your diet everyday. If you know there are foods and other things that can help you lower your blood sugar, control your diabetes, and protect your heart, why wouldn’t you take advantage of them? Well? Of course you know it makes sense.
Research performed showed that patients with prediabetes who consumed just a handful of pistachios a day, had their blood glucose and insulin levels drop significantly. There were other positive results of enhancing the process of their glucose and insulin as well. Physicians and health care officials firmly believe in adding pistachios to your diet. Nuts are just that good for you.
But remember, with pistachios and other nuts, just don’t overdo it. Too much of anything is never good for you. Just have enough in moderation and that will help you with your blood sugars and provide healthy benefits for your body. In addition, pistachios are going to help you with lowering your blood pressure and that can be good for your heart as well. Check your pressure regularly.
Check Out the Video Below about Pistachios & Diabetes
How do Pistachios Affect your Blood Sugars?
It’s vital to follow and stay on a healthy diet because those are the foods that will keep you on the right tract to controlling and maintaining your glucose levels. And not only do doctors and the medical field approve in including pistachios in your diet, the ADA is also behind having them in your diet! I think the ADA knows what they’re talking about. After all, they are all about diabetes.
So what do pistachios have that makes them great for controlling your blood glucose numbers? FIBER! That’s the key here. Your glucose spikes when you eat carbohydrates such as sugar and starches. Fiber does NOT raise your blood sugar levels and fiber foods should be on your menu all the time! Pistachios along with other nuts should be your healthy choices.
Let’s face it. Nuts are a natural food packed with the healthy fats you need. These are always going to affect your blood glucose levels in a positive way. If you stick to a small serving, as a snack let’s say, you will benefit from them.
You should also be eating fruits and vegetables, legumes, and whole grains. These are the foods that are going to help your sugars.
Health Benefits of Pistachios
1) Weight Loss
People who eat nuts on a regular basis have been known to lose weight. They are low in calories, and have a high protein and high fiber count. Pistachios make a much better snack than most others such as pretzels, potato chips, and popcorn.
Plant based foods that are 100% have no cholesterol as opposed to foods from animals such as dairy, meat, and eggs that do have bad cholesterol. Pistachios are also beneficial for the HDL good cholesterol and also benefit your triglyceride levels. It’s just so much healthier to have pistachios because they lower your risk for cardiovascular disease. This includes strokes and heart attacks as I mentioned before.
There are good and bad bacteria and guess which one you want? Yes! You need soluble fiber from foods because the fiber aids in increasing the amount of good bacteria inside your intestines. The fiber that pistachios provide can lessen your chances for specific diseases such as digestive disorders, gastric ulcers, and cancer.
4) Skin Care
You want to prevent dryness of your skin and pistachios can help to accomplish this with their saturated fats. You want to take care of your skin because as you age, it begins to show. This is the largest organ in your body and the only one that shows. You don’t want premature aging showing from your skin. Wrinkles and fine lines from too much exposure to the sun and elements can really do a number on your skin. Stick with pistachios because the vitamin E content can surely help with this.
5) Heart Health
Your heart keeps every organ moving. It needs to pump the blood and it needs to be healthy in order to do that. As long as pistachios help with your cholesterol levels with their polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats, you will be doing the best thing for your heart by keeping it strong and healthy.
6) Macular Degeneration
As previously mentioned, your eyes are extremely vital for your health. It’s so important as you get older to do everything you can to prevent macular degeneration which decreases your vision to where you could lose your sight. This scares me enough to take care of my eyes!
Because of those nasty free radicals, they can attempt to attack the cells of your eyes and you do not want them to do that. The antioxidants that pistachios have in them called Zeaxanthin and Lutein can combat and demolish these free radicals and this can prevent cell damage and macular degeneration.
Click Below to Lower your Blood Sugar
7) Boost Your Immune System
You always want your immune system working at its peak performance. It cannot be compromised otherwise your body will be in trouble. You need to stave off the pathogens that can cause disease. In order to heal from being sick you must rely on your immune system. Pistachios with vitamin B6 and the antioxidants help to ensure that your body gets all the blood that it needs to stay healthy.
One of the best things that you can do for your body and your health is to calm inflammation. It’s the basis for all diseases and illnesses. One inflammatory disease which can strike in the elderly is arthritis, either rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis and pistachios can provide relief from inflammation.
9) Your Nervous System
It’s crucial to take care of your nervous system especially if you have type 2 diabetes. With diabetes you can develop neuropathy which is when your nerves begin to die. I know this because I have neuropathy and it’s numbness in my feet from the diabetes and possibly a deficiency in vitamin B6.
10) Brain Health
Your brain needs to be healthy especially if you have type 2 diabetes because that can lead to type 3 diabetes, or otherwise known as Alzheimer’s disease. By increasing the hemoglobin count in your blood you can supply your brain with more activity and the vitamin B6 in pistachios can make that happen.
11) Blood Vessels
If you want to promote the health of your blood vessels then turn to pistachios for help. They contain an amino acid known as L- arginine which gets transformed to nitric oxide in your body. Because of this pistachios are responsible for the good health of your blood vessels.
12) Blood Sugars
Pistachios have a very positive affect on your blood glucose levels. One of the big reasons is that they have a low glycemic index of only 18! Anything under 55 on the glycemic index chart is a very good sign. They are also rich in carotenoids, antioxidants, and magnesium which are all beneficial in lowering blood sugars.
You might wonder how pistachios can help you avoid anemia. But if you have a moderate amount of a handful of pistachio nuts a day, you can help your body to prevent anemia. This is because of the contents of copper that pistachios has. It will allow your body to better absorb that much more iron into your system which will raise your level of hemoglobin and give you comfort from anemia.
- Stomach aches
- Allergies to pistachios
- Avoid if you have gout
So, How Are Pistachios Good For Diabetics? Nuts are healthy, period. But it means to only have in moderation because that’s how they benefit your diabetes and other ailments the most. Pistachios can be very healthy for you. What most concerns me is the fact that they can be beneficial for type 2 diabetes. You can’t go wrong with pistachios. Just don’t over indulge. Get healthier now and help to control your type 2 diabetes.
Click Below to Lower your Blood Sugar
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Rothchild, Sascha (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 336 Pages - 04/19/2022 (Publication Date) - G.P. Putnam's Sons (Publisher)
- ✅ QUICK AND EASY TO USE: Care Touch blood sugar test kit delivers results in only 5 seconds with just a 0.5µL blood sample. There is no programming needed since our blood sugar monitor kit automatically recognizes batch codes encrypted on Care Touch glucose test strips. Our state-of-the-art glucometer kit with strips and lancets includes single-touch strip ejection, so you can hygienically remove used diabetic test strips.
- ✅ EASY DIABETIC MONITORING: The blood sugar monitor kit with strips is capable of saving up to 300 readings. The blood glucose test kit also provides a continuous 14-day average of your readings, making glucose monitoring easy for you and your healthcare provider.
- ✅ PORTABLE AND HASSLE-FREE: The diabetic testing kit comes with a handy glucometer case, which means you can check your blood sugar level at home or anywhere else while staying organized. The 10-depth lancing device and lancets will help make blood sugar testing almost painless and hassle-free.
- ✅ COMPLETE DIABETIC SET: The glucose meter kit with strips and lancets includes: (1) Care Touch Blood Sugar Meter, (100) Blood Glucose Test Strips for diabetes, (1) Lancing Device, (100) Lancets for diabetes testing, (1) 3 Volt Lithium Battery, (1) Glucose meter case for your blood sugar tester and diabetic supplies
- ✅ WE CARE BECAUSE YOU CARE: You care about your health, and we care about you. Care Touch is committed to providing the best quality blood glucose monitoring systems. Our care doesn’t end when your sugar tester diabetes kit arrives at your door. We’re fully dedicated to your satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns about your glucose monitor kit with strips and lancets - contact us at any time.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- PUREHEALTH RESEARCH - Blood Sugar Formula 3 Bottles
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- A DOCTOR-APPROVED NATURAL FORMULA. Seventeen potent ingredients, each scientifically proven to have a significant effect at helping balance your glucose levels, improve glucose sensitivity, protect delicate cells from free radicals, and energy
- HIGH POTENCY. PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help you support healthy blood glucose levels
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: supports healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency support for 365 days a year; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health; daily support for healthy blood glucose levels, 365 days a year
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
Last update on 2022-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
14 thoughts on “How Are Pistachios Good for Diabetics? | 13 Benefits Pistachios”
I did not know that Pistachios had that many benefits. Seem like they are better for you then almonds. I need to add them to my diet.
Hey Jen 🙂 It’s amazing sometimes when we find out more about something than we first knew. All nuts are very healthy for you within reason. Pistachios can be beneficial for blood sugars and type 2 diabetes. It’s all about eating healthy especially if you have diabetes. Almonds are great too. It’s all about the nuts! Thanks for your comments!
Rob, I’m always delighted to hear a food that I absolutely love is actually good for your health. I will be saying yes next time I’m down the nuts aisle in the supermarket and picking up a stock of pistachios to enjoy
Hi Fleur 🙂 There are many times I learn about I food I don’t like that’s healthy for you and I think okay, at least it’s good for you. But it’s nice when you really like something that’s healthy. It just makes it that much easier,right? So I’ll admit that pistachios are not my favorite nut but with the benefits they provide, I make sure they are in my diet! Don’t pass the pistachios in the aisle of your supermarket! Thanks Fleur for sharing 🙂
Thanks Rob for this. I did not know Pistachios were this beneficial. Doctors only prescribe medicines and generic foods. Your article also gives a brief description on the effect that diabetes can have on the various body parts and indeed it scares me to lose my eye-sight! so will add some nuts and legumes to my diet 🙂
Hey Rudolph, In this day and age it’s always about prescribing medications to treat everything. In reality it’s foods like pistachios that are the real medicines to help us fight diseases. And diabetes being one of the top diseases today needs to be eradicated. Thanks for your comments !
The Pistachios are a great snack. They do make a little mess with the shells and other things that fall out when you break them open.
I always put a hand full in a bowl, then I have a place to put my waste without leaving it in the couch cushion.
I am glad to here that it does help with high blood pressure and heart.
Hey John, All nuts are good for you especially pistachios. I happen to agree with you about the mess, but sometimes that’s the price to pay for something that is so good for your health. And yes the bowl is a very good solution to avoiding the mess. I love the fact that pistachios are healthy not only for your diabetes but your heart and blood pressure too. Thank you for your comments!
Thanks for this article. Awesome information. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE pistachio nuts…and that was even before I heard about the health benefits. I prefer to eat them raw versus roasted. They are great. I have brother-in-law who has Stage 2 diabetes and I will forward this article to him.
Great job and keep up the good job. All the best.
Hi Michelle 🙂 I’m glad that you like pistachio nuts especially since they are so beneficial for you. And eating them raw or roasted is still going to give you the positive things that pistachios offer. I’m sure that your brother-in-law could benefit not only from this article but many others here on the website. Thanks for forwarding this article and passing it on to others as well!
Hi! I love pistachios but I had no clue of the benefits it provides to my blood sugar! You have an awesome and helpful article here! Thanks for the great information. Will keep checking your site for helpful health articles! Thanks!
Hey Kris, There are so many foods that are good for lowering blood sugars and nuts are one of them including pistachios. If you like pistachios, why wouldn’t you include them in your diet? After all, they do provide many health benefits in additional to helping your diabetes. Thank you and please spread the word!
I am not a nut fan….well I rather dislike most nuts. That is with the exception of pistachios. I really didn’t know there were so many benefits! But, how many of these nuts am I going to have to eat a day to see these benefits 😀 I do like them, but they are still not high on my “snack list.” I can see them as a healthy addition to my fruit to mix it up a little though 🙂
Hi Leahrae 🙂 I’m not a huge nut or pistachio fan because too many nuts don’t agree with me. But I’ll take anything that is going to help lower my blood sugar and help to control diabetes,
It really doesn’t take too many to get the benefits, maybe a handful at a time. But not everyone likes everything, so there are always other options. Thank you for sharing 🙂