Diabetes can really take a toll on your physical health. But, How Does Diabetes Affect Mental Health? There are many ways to help you improve how you deal with it. So how do you deal with this disease emotionally? Let’s just see how diabetes can affect your mental health.
What Can Diabetes do to You Emotionally?
Getting diagnosed with type 2 diabetes isn’t a death sentence and there are options. Look on the bright side. What if you had no options? Zero! That’s not the case. But let’s talk about what you can do, not what you cannot do.
Emotionally it’s possibly harder to deal with diabetes than the day to day physical part. It is stressful and maybe sometimes you can get through the day and it isn’t so bad and other days you just want to chew nails!
It’s frustrating, can lead to depression, anxiety, overeating, loneliness, and failure. I know what it’s like. I have type 2 diabetes. I’m not saying that it’s easy, but it is doable.
If you are just getting diagnosed with diabetes, it can just stop you in your tracks. I know because it hit me hard too. You might feel angry, sad, stressed, confused, lonely, and many other feelings that you don’t know which way to turn.
You don’t want to dwell on this for too long a period of time. It’s best to accept it (you don’t have a choice anyway) and move on and make a plan. As time goes on, it might become easier for you and it should be. It’s like any negative thing in your life that occurs. Sometimes there’s nothing else to do at first other than accept it. Then move on.
I say this many times, “Knowledge is power!” It’s true. Trust me. The more you learn and know the better off you will be down the line. Make a plan. Talk to your doctor. Discuss what you have to do. Change your lifestyle habits.
You most likely have been eating unhealthy and not exercising. Admit it. You’re only fooling yourself. Again, I know. I admitted it to myself. Everything is on you just the way it’s on me.
You and I have both made poor decisions that lead us down this path to diabetes. But there are many ways to turn around and go the other way. You can start by bookmarking my website because I have a LOT of articles that are going to help you through this. That’s why I started this website because I am passionate about natural ways to lower blood sugar and how we can fight the battle against diabetes.
Recently Diagnosed with Diabetes?
SEE THE PRODUCTS YOU NEED TO GET STARTED
Suggestions and Tips for Dealing With Diabetes
Connect with People
You don’t want to be handling this alone. It’s not just you. Remember, there are many others with diabetes and you shouldn’t handle this alone. Talk to family members, friends, or maybe even search for a support group. People generally care especially when it comes to a crisis or something extremely important in someone’s life.
Whether it’s someone in your family or more than one person, or a best friend that you can talk to is going to help you. The good thing about a support group is that everyone in the group is going through the same thing you are. Exchanging thoughts and ideas is a great way to help in dealing with diabetes.
You may have ideas that others don’t and vice versa. Anything that is going to help you get through this is a positive for you. What’s that saying? “Two heads are better than one!” It sure makes sense and sometimes it’s just venting that is going to make you feel better. Get it out in the open and make sure you listen more than talk. That’s why God gave us two ears and one mouth! 🙂
Keep a Journal
Write it down. You want to be able to see how you make progress, right? As you continually write down your thoughts along the way, you can see exactly where you started and where you’re at now.
What triggers negative emotions about the diabetes and also making notes of the positive happenings are going to help in your better reactions down the road.
This doesn’t mean you have to write a book everyday. Whether it’s a sentence, paragraph, or more it’s beneficial for you to read back after the fact. And you won’t have to rely on your memory as to what happened along the way because there it will be in black and white!
Just let it go
I have a sign on my wall because I was always letting things bother me and many that shouldn’t bother me. Sometimes in situations you have to just let it go! You can’t hold onto things that are negative and that bring you down. One of the most helpful things you can do in this and many other situations is to get up and walk away. Get away from it for a while. Take a break.
Come back later. Think. Get your head together. Go for a walk. Find something else to do to get your mind of it. This is true with any problem. I find that all the time with me. If I hit a roadblock while writing, I’ll just get up and walk away. Sometimes you just need a break to recharge. It makes a difference and relieves stress.
Check Out the Video Below for More About Mental Health and Diabetes
Stressful Situations and How to Deal With Them
This is often one of the best things you can do in any situation. I deal with it by working off my stress and frustration with exercise. Whether it’s a blood sugar reading that’s high or the scale lying to me again LOL, I get moving and work it off by getting it out of my mind.
I go walking, bike riding, hit the exercise bike indoors, I find something and take my headphones with me because music is another passion of mine to escape from life sometimes.
Music is one of the best remedies for me to any problem. It just relaxes me, calms me down, soothes me, and puts me in a great mood 🙂 I don’t see how good music can’t put even the biggest party pooper in a good mood and make them smile! And how many times can you play your favorite songs over again? As I sit here *writing to you, I have my music on all the time! 🙂
I leave feeling very calm and better off then when I went in. If you can’t go and take a class, then get a video, go on Youtube, or the internet to practice at home. Try and aim for a few times a week.
Class or Hobby
Have a specific interest in a subject? Find a class to take and just do it! Maybe you have hobbies that interest you. Get up off the couch and get started. Do something that you are passionate about.
You want to feel better and know that you are improving yourself while at the same time not sitting around feeling bored, depressed, or upset about any ill health issues such as diabetes. You are addressing it health wise the best way you can anyway.
Build Your Friends List
Life is going by way too fast. Start meeting new people who you can share things with. Look for people with positive attitudes who will help you feel the same way. You would be amazed at what you’re capable of doing once you let go and start becoming more sociable.
There are plenty of online sites where you can meet new people. Be the one who is a bit more aggressive and think about what kinds of people you would like to meet and what you would like to do.
This one is huge! Attitude is everything. If you want to attract positive things and positive people then think and act positive. Once you have the right attitude, you will begin to see real changes. Don’t sit around feeling sorry for yourself. It won’t help.
Things like diabetes won’t go away unless you have the attitude that you’re going to do the opposite of whatever you were doing that lead you to diabetes. (Eating healthy and exercise to begin) These will get you on the right track!
My mom used to always tell us to get outside and play, remember? This is no different. Get out and enjoy nature. I love the mountains, lakes, oceans, and scenic nature. Go to the park.
Get a pedometer and start walking where it’s beautiful and you’ll be doing yourself a huge favor 🙂 Bring your headphones and music with you! Then go home and have a healthy dinner and write in your journal.
Managing Your Diabetes and Avoiding Burnout
You have diabetes. It’s not a death sentence IF you control it and you CAN! You have to manage your diabetes and do all the right things to be at the best health under the circumstances that you can be. Make sure that your routine remains stable and that you keep track of what and when you’re eating.
Monitoring your blood sugars are an absolute must and you have to be firm with yourself about this! Schedule the times you eat each day and stick to it. Portion sizes are important and check all labels for sugar and carbohydrate content! Stick to the healthy fruits and vegetables and keep track. This is your life and you need to be in control. If I can do this, then you can do this!
I signed up for a diabetes management class. It was the best class I ever took. Now it’s your turn. Find one. Sign up. Go. Take notes. Learn. You won’t regret it!
Follow an exercise program each and every day. Yes EVERY day! No excuses. Walk, walk, walk. You don’t have to run a marathon. Just get moving! In fact, walk PAST the elevator and take the stairs. 50 stories up you say?
Ok, so it will take you some time then LOL. Okay, at least walk up a few stories. You get the point. Use that pedometer too!
See your doctor regularly. It’s important. Get your labs done regularly as well. You can avoid diabetes burnout if you just start making these changes even if gradually.
Besides beating diabetes, you will be healthier anyway and that’s what you want, isn’t it?
Recently Diagnosed with Diabetes?
SEE THE PRODUCTS YOU NEED TO GET STARTED
How Does Diabetes Affect Mental Health? Don’t let diabetes take over your emotional health. You can do this and once you start seeing results from treating your diabetes, you’ll see results from your emotions and your emotional health will no longer suffer. I care because I’m living it the same as you are. I want you to succeed and you will!
This Superfood Will Change Your Life
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds.
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Dr. Marlene Merritt (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 100 Pages - 09/15/2021 (Publication Date) - Primal Health, LP (Publisher)
- Support cardiovascular health & blood sugar levels with the PurePremium blood sugar support dietary supplement, which contains essential vitamins, minerals and herbs.
- Support healthy glucose metabolism by adding our all-natural heart health supplement to your diet. Our advanced cardiovascular support capsules contain cinnamon, mulberry, vitamin c, vitamin e, magnesium, zinc, licorice root extract and manganese.
- Support blood cholesterol levels and make sure that your heart is healthy and strong. Support healthy insulin function and bolster your immune system against harmful free radicals.
- Our easy-to-swallow capsules support healthy glucose levels and your metabolism at the same time.
- Formulated in the USA. Every PurePremium product comes from an inspected, and GMP certified facility right here in the USA.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
Last update on 2021-09-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API