What is pneumonia? It happens to be a serious illness that is a leading cause in children as well as adults all over the planet. But diabetes with pneumonia is extremely serious because this disease is caused by a bacteria or a germ that is able to attack many parts of your body. Once these bacteria enter the lungs they begin to cause the most widely known form of bacterial pneumonia. Can Diabetes Cause Pneumonia?
What Happens When You have Diabetes with Pneumonia?
Diabetes causes folks to often have a weakened immune system. When you smoke, follow an unhealthy lifestyle, and eat fatty foods, then these are all negative things that affect them lungs in diabetic people.
So if you have diabetes and especially type 1 diabetes, then your immune system has a decreased ability to deal with and respond to any type of infections.
People with diabetes especially type 1 are more prone to sickness than most of the general population. And of because of this folks who are diabetic have a much bigger chance of getting the flu, catching a cold, or other illnesses that are contagious.
This results in it taking much longer to recover as well. This in turn changes the managing of your diabetes overall and it has a notable effect on your blood glucose levels too.
There are two of the most sizable infections on the lungs and they are tuberculosis and pneumonia. These two bad boys can really wreak havoc on your health. Pneumonia shouldn’t be too much of a serious concern in someone who is healthy and should only be annoying and uncomfortable for a couple of weeks at most, but with diabetes it’s a different story.
While pneumonia is an infection of the lungs, it has many symptoms which are extremely uncomfortable including: fever, coughing, nausea, chest pain, and problems with breathing. When you have the sacs of your lungs filled with fluid, this is pneumonia. Viral pneumonia usually has less symptoms and clears up quicker then bacterial pneumonia.
Pneumonia in a Diabetic Person
When you have diabetes, your lungs are not able to fight off attacks from infection as well because your body is always prone to attacks and this isn’t the case as when you’re not a diabetic. With diabetes your blood glucose being unbalanced can lead to increased inflammation and a rather poor immune response. Diabetes without a doubt will put you at a higher risk for pneumonia.
So pneumonia doesn’t have to be a death sentence as long as you take care of your blood sugar levels and your diabetes as best as you can. It is extremely important to monitor your blood glucose on a regular basis. Studies were performed and patients with high sugar levels were less likely to recover from the illness.
It’s so much more important to get a pneumonia shot when you have diabetes that if you didn’t have it. The risk of dying in the hospital from pneumonia with diabetes is about 23% more according the the Diabetes Care journal.
Your risk of contracting pneumonia can be affected by whether or not you smoke, how much you exercise, and your vitamin D levels. Researchers found that low vitamin D levels make you a greater risk for pneumonia.
Who is at risk for pneumonia?
Just about anyone can experience pneumonia unfortunately. People in the age group over 65 are the most at risk, especially when your immune system is weaker from leukemia, cancer, sickle cell disease, heart, lung, and kidney disease or HIV . The older you get the weaker your immune system becomes normally.
What About Getting a Pneumonia Shot?
Anyone over two years of age should get a pneumonia shot. Folks who are older with medical conditions that are chronic such as heart, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, and alcoholism. Also people with sickle cell disease and those who do not have a spleen that functions.
If you have an HIV infection or cancer that has been caused by a weakened immune system or are a resident of a long term or chronic care establishment, then you should be getting one.
Who Should Avoid?
Anyone who had a pneumonia shot previously and had a reaction to it should definitely avoid getting another one. Then pneumonia shot should also not be administered to people going through chemotherapy, radiation, and to children under the age of two.
People under the age of 65 and those individuals with the highest risk for pneumonia may require more than one shot but if you’re over 65, then you’ll never need more than one shot.
Flu and Pneumonia Shot Simultaneously?
You are able to get both shots at the same time. It would be wise to get the pneumonia shot at the time of year when you get your flu shot. It shouldn’t matter what time of the year that you get them although flu shots are probably best getting in the fall before winter sets in.
How is it treated?
Pneumonia is treated with the antibiotic penicillin. Years ago there were some types on pneumonia that weren’t treated so easily with antibiotics. It’s more important than ever to get a pneumonia shot today. It’s most likely once and I get my flu shot every year without fail. I don’t want the flu or want to at least lessen the severity of it.
Watch the Video Below for More About Pneumonia
The Common Symptoms of Pneumonia
So this inflammatory infection in the lungs, the infection can be bacterial, fungal, or viral. Pneumonia is like any other infection and comes with a high fever. Your temperature can go as high as 105 degrees Fahrenheit with the pneumonia infection worsening.
It can last between two and three weeks from the onset of infection. If you begin with a fever and feel that it could be pneumonia, get medical help right away!
You can experience fatigue for many different reasons. But fatigue along with weakness and exhaustion can be signs of pneumonia. The particular fatigue that you experience can depend on how strong your immune system is, your age, and just how severe your symptoms are. Elderly folks and young children may experience worse conditions than others.
Pain in the chest can occur from a buildup of fluid in the lungs that blocks the flow of oxygen in the air sacs on the lungs. Along with chest pain you can experience problems with breathing and causing abdominal tightness and pain as well.
Depending on how severe your pneumonia is, you can wind up with double pneumonia where it affects both lungs and you get a mucus buildup, a cough that gets even worse and restricted breathing which will give you even further pain in your chest.
Pneumonia can also affect and bother your digestive system by causing diarrhea and loose stools. It generally is unrelated to problems with your digestive system but can produce symptoms such as nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting and this can cause you to be dehydrated from losing water in your stools.
When a person gets pneumonia they can experience weight loss throughout the infection. Pneumonia can really take its toll on you and wear you down and certainly have you not feeling up to par at all. This results in losing your appetite because the infection changes your metabolism and you have very little physical exertion as well as chest pain.
When you get a fever that’s high (even up to 105 degrees), it’s your body trying to fight off the infection. Sweating it out is actually a good thing so sweat it out! I always remember as a kid when I was sick and started to sweat, I remember it as the beginning of feeling better even though it took some time 🙂
Temperature Less Than 98.6?
It’s actually a normal occurrence when you are suffering from pneumonia to have your temperature read on the low side. This is especially common in folks over the age of 65 as it is with confusion and delirium. It has to do with a weakened immune system.
The body at this point has a decrease in the ability to regulate its own temperature. This is particularly due to the fact that the infections are lowering your body’s temperature in order to stay alive.
Chills are another very common symptom of pneumonia and the flu as well. How severe your particular symptoms are generally a sign that tells you. Getting the normal symptoms of pneumonia such as coughing, congestion, and a sore throat can be the start but once your infection gets down into your lungs, this is when you will most likely develop the chills.
This can be one of the worse symptoms of pneumonia and it can indicate just how bad your condition may be. Add breathing difficulties to the coughing and you’ve got the beginning of pneumonia. Not treating pneumonia will only make it worse. A lot of your defense is how strong your immune system is.
7- Top Ways to Prevent Pneumonia
1) Wash Your Hands!
I cannot emphasize this one enough! I wash my hands about 50 million times a day. In fact, I wash my hands WHILE I’m washing my hands! LOL This should be done especially after using the restroom, blowing your nose, or before preparing or eating food.
Get rid of it no matter what and how. Smoking and such damages your lung’s capacity to fight off any infection including pneumonia.
Get your pneumonia shot at least once. But just as important, get your flu shot each year to prevent the flu because not only does this help to prevent the flu, it also helps in preventing pneumonia too.
Getting enough sleep is just a healthy thing to do anyway but getting your 7-8 hours is critical helps in warding off infections.
Water! Not alcohol. Nice try! 🙂 It’s vital for survival to drink 6-8 glasses of water every day. You have to stay hydrated at any cost. This is especially the case when you have pneumonia or any illness.
6) See Your Doctor!
Visit the doctor regularly and keep on top of your health. You would rather prevent than to treat something!
7) Stop Smoking
If you’re a smoker you run a higher risk of pneumonia because the ability of your lungs to fight infection are greatly diminished.
- Gargle with salt water to relieve irritation and to get rid of mucus in the throat.
- Tea- Have fresh tea or green tea and add honey or lemon
- Soup- I love having soup when I’m not feeling well and it does wonders!
- Coffee– It can help if you’re having problems with breathing and shortness of breath.
- Turmeric tea- This contains many anti-inflammatory properties than can help give you relief from pain.
Can Diabetes Cause Pneumonia? Now you know that diabetes with pneumonia is extremely serious. I hope that you never get pneumonia at all. It could be deadly. But if you are diabetic, the best thing you can do is to control your blood sugar.
Reverse Your Type 2 Diabetes
Click the Button Below
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Rothchild, Sascha (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 336 Pages - 04/19/2022 (Publication Date) - G.P. Putnam's Sons (Publisher)
- ✅ QUICK AND EASY TO USE: Care Touch blood sugar test kit delivers results in only 5 seconds with just a 0.5µL blood sample. There is no programming needed since our blood sugar monitor kit automatically recognizes batch codes encrypted on Care Touch glucose test strips. Our state-of-the-art glucometer kit with strips and lancets includes single-touch strip ejection, so you can hygienically remove used diabetic test strips.
- ✅ EASY DIABETIC MONITORING: The blood sugar monitor kit with strips is capable of saving up to 300 readings. The blood glucose test kit also provides a continuous 14-day average of your readings, making glucose monitoring easy for you and your healthcare provider.
- ✅ PORTABLE AND HASSLE-FREE: The diabetic testing kit comes with a handy glucometer case, which means you can check your blood sugar level at home or anywhere else while staying organized. The 10-depth lancing device and lancets will help make blood sugar testing almost painless and hassle-free.
- ✅ COMPLETE DIABETIC SET: The glucose meter kit with strips and lancets includes: (1) Care Touch Blood Sugar Meter, (100) Blood Glucose Test Strips for diabetes, (1) Lancing Device, (100) Lancets for diabetes testing, (1) 3 Volt Lithium Battery, (1) Glucose meter case for your blood sugar tester and diabetic supplies
- ✅ WE CARE BECAUSE YOU CARE: You care about your health, and we care about you. Care Touch is committed to providing the best quality blood glucose monitoring systems. Our care doesn’t end when your sugar tester diabetes kit arrives at your door. We’re fully dedicated to your satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns about your glucose monitor kit with strips and lancets - contact us at any time.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- PUREHEALTH RESEARCH - Blood Sugar Formula 3 Bottles
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- A DOCTOR-APPROVED NATURAL FORMULA. Seventeen potent ingredients, each scientifically proven to have a significant effect at helping balance your glucose levels, improve glucose sensitivity, protect delicate cells from free radicals, and energy
- HIGH POTENCY. PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help you support healthy blood glucose levels
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: supports healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency support for 365 days a year; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health; daily support for healthy blood glucose levels, 365 days a year
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
Last update on 2022-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API