Can Diabetes Cause Itching? Diabetics should never ignore skin that itches! With skin that’s irritated, dry, or itchy, there is a much bigger risk for infection. With diabetes, you have a much harder time fighting off infection than if you didn’t have the disease. There are ways to treat the itchy skin which is a relief. (No pun intended) 🙂 It is possible that it can cause itching, but let’s find out:
What’s the Connection Between Diabetes and Itching?
While there are different treatments for the itching, there are also a variety of reasons for it. Folks with diabetes will experience more itching than someone without it and one reason is from the result of damaged nerve fibers in the outer layers of your skin. Many times too often this occurs from peripheral neuropathy or diabetic polyneuropathy.
I am familiar with peripheral neuropathy because I have it. This condition happens when your blood glucose levels do damage to your nerve fibers, especially in your hands and in your feet. I have peripheral neuropathy in the feet and although I thankfully do not experience the itching, I do have the constant numbness in my feet. Itching would make it even more uncomfortable.
Now anything that happens to your body no matter what it is is always something that ranges from annoying, to irritable, to very uncomfortable, and then all the way up to agonizing pain. At least you can be thankful if you’re at the low end of the scale and not the high end. I’m not saying that numbness in the feet is any picnic but itching, pain, and other horrors could be worse.
High levels of inflammatory substances known as cytokines can lead to the itching before nerve damage occurs. Itchiness should never be ignored and not addressed by any means. An itchiness that persists may possibly be an indication that if you’re a person with diabetes that you could be at a greater risk for nerve damage.
With diabetes many things are possible and you may experience issues with your liver or kidney failure. These can also attribute to itching too. There are other reasons why you could be having itching problems and one common cause is when you are prescribed a new medication. You should continue the medication under your doctor’s orders and it is confirmed that you have had an allergic reaction.
Other Skin Conditions That are Diabetes Related
* Necrobiosis lipodica- This particular condition will cause your skin to be very painful and very itchy. It causes bumps on the skin that appear as pimples that are in patches, raised and swelling. It’s not something I would want to go through and I’m sure that you wouldn’t either.
* Eruptive xanthamatosis- This condition develops on the skin and is found on the back of your legs, arms, feet, buttocks, and hands and they appear as firm, yellow, tiny like formations that are itchy with a red circle around them. Most of the time is happens with diabetics with high trigylceride levels and uncontrolled blood sugar levels. The good news here is that this condition will disappear once your diabetes is back under control.
* Skin infections- There are times when you can have an infection and not know it and you will have the itchy skin. In addition, your skin can feel hot, appear reddened, or swollen too. You may also see small blisters that produce a liquid discharge. Yuck! Let’s avoid this too! You sure as heck don’t want a skin infection, do you?
* Allergic reactions- Allergic reactions on your skin can be fairly common when it comes to medications such as diabetic medications and insulin. You should always consult your physician immediately if you feel you have a reaction to a medication. But you want to be aware of any depressions, rashes, or bumps at a particular area of your skin where you inject your insulin.
* Diabetic blisters- Folks with diabetes will rarely experience blisters but they can occur on the backs of your toes, hands, feet, and fingers mostly. They are similar to burn blisters and happen if you have diabetic neuropathy. They can be painless and large and disappear without a couple of weeks. Best course of action is to control your blood sugar levels.
* Diabetic dermopathy- Diabetic dermopathy is when small blood vessels are changed from causes resulting from diabetes. These appear as brown patches that are scaly and can be round or oval in shape. They kind of resemble age spots. The bulk of the time they may appear on the front of your legs. But at least they are not painful, won’t open up, or itch. This doesn’t need to be treated because it’s harmless.
* Digital sclerosis- With diabetes there are people who sometimes develop a thick waxy skin on the backs of their hands. It can progress to where the joints don’t move the way that they used to move. This generally affects about 33% of people with type 1 diabetes. Maintaining blood sugar levels help to control this.
Itchy Skin and the Warnings of Type 2 Diabetes
It’s something that you should be looking out for in the winter months because that’s the time when dry and itchy skin appears most. It’s a warning sign for type 2 diabetes. Itching is a common symptom of type 2 diabetes and it’s wise to keep your skin moisturized as there are several conditions that will cause your skin to crack, itch, and peel.
Some people who experience itching in their lower legs and feet have this occur because of poor circulation. This causes hardening of the blood vessels which will cause the itching of the skin. There are a few ways that you can make the itching more tolerable. Exercising regularly is always a good choice. Do not smoke or use any tobacco. The most important is to control your blood sugars. Check your numbers regularly.
Fungal infections are common when you have diabetes and you want to take care of these with medications. It’s important for your doctor to prescribe the best course of action as far as the medication. Symptoms of fungal infections are red, dry, and cracking skin, breaking down of your skin, blisters, and of course itching too. It’s vital to keep your skin dry and clean to help fight off fungal infections.
The most common areas for fungal infections are your armpits, under the breasts, the groin area, around the corners of your mouth, near your nails and between your toes and your fingers. Any irritations in these areas should be closely watched and reported to your physician immediately.
To help in avoiding diabetes you can:
- Always drink plenty of water because this helps in keeping the largest organ in your body, your skin, hydrated.
- Try and use a moisturizer to fight off any dryness.
- It’s vital to keep any scrapes and cuts completely clean to avoid infections.
- Be careful out in the sun. While you need vitamin D, you still want to protect your skin with at least SPF 30 or higher.
- It’s best to stay out of temperatures that are extreme either way. Too cold and too hot will damage your skin.
Top Remedies for Itching of the Skin
* Hydrocortisone cream- Anti itch creams are a great way to deal with itching and soothing your skin. This cream stops inflammatory responses in your body and can help in calming down your itchy and inflamed skin. You always want to look for a cream that contains a minimum of 1% hydrocortisone.
* Baking soda- You can either bathe in water with baking soda or make a solution to apply to specific areas where you may be itching. For the bath use one cup of baking soda in a tub of warm water. For a solution mix 1 part baking soda to 3 parts water. Baking soda is a wonderful choice!
* Essential oils- I’ve used several essential oils and for many reasons including dry skin and itching. I find lavender to work the best but you can also use peppermint oil, rosemary oil, basil oil, chamomile oil, and thyme oil. Follow the directions on the bottle.
* Lemon juice- Lemon juice works great too by applying it directly to the affected area but don’t use this if you’ve been scratching too much and have any open wounds.
* Apple cider vinegar- This works wonders for so many different ailments including itching. You can use a few cups of apple cider vinegar by adding to your bath water. Up to 30 minutes should do it.
* Oatmeal- You want to add colloidal oatmeal to your bath. This isn’t an oatmeal that is edible but rather something that is an ingredient found in lotions and soaps. It’s safe and helps with the itchiness big time.
* Coconut oil- This can really help with reducing the dryness of your skin, especially on your hands, heels, and your elbows. It also can show significant improvement by applying to specific areas while you sleep.
* Dried fruits- Dried fruits can help to retain moisture in your skin. Consuming fruits with vitamins A,B, and E on a daily basis aid in treating very dry skin.
* More humidity- By sleeping with a humidifier in your bedroom, you can benefit from the moisture in the air which your skin absorbs to ease the itching and soothing it.
Can Diabetes Cause Itching? Diabetes can trigger itching and if you control your diabetes, then you can control your dry skin and itching. Are your blood sugars under control? Are you where you need them to be? Controlling your blood sugars can go a long way to a better health!
If you really want to reverse your type 2 diabetes then click the button below now!
If you have any comments or questions, please leave them below. Thank you for reading and have a happy and a healthy!
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds.
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight loss and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Excellent Accuracy: metene TD-4116 blood glucose meter and strips are produced with industry-leading chips and biosensor, equipped with industry-leading technologies, conducive to get accurate and reliable measurements
- No Coding: The blood sugar meter gets into measure status automatically once insert the blood sugar test strip to the bottom of the slot, easy to use and easy to read with large display for the senior
- Fast and Reduce Pain: This blood glucose monitor takes just 7s and 0.7µl blood to get the glucose value; The lancing device has 5 depth options to minimize wound and reduce pain
- Better Data Management: This glucometer stores the newest 450 blood glucose values and display the continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average; the measurements could be exported with windows-based software; help you track and manage your blood glucose better
- Diabetes Testing Kit 207 Piece Set: 100 glucometer strips, 100 30G lancets, 1 blood sugar meter, 1 lancing device, 1 control solution, 2 batteries, 1 protective wallet and 1 user manual; Please feel free to contact us if any problem when using this Diabetes testing kit
- Support cardiovascular health & blood sugar levels with the PurePremium blood sugar support dietary supplement, which contains essential vitamins, minerals and herbs.
- Support healthy glucose metabolism by adding our all-natural heart health supplement to your diet. Our advanced cardiovascular support capsules contain cinnamon, mulberry, vitamin c, vitamin e, magnesium, zinc, licorice root extract and manganese.
- Support blood cholesterol levels and make sure that your heart is healthy and strong. Support healthy insulin function and bolster your immune system against harmful free radicals.
- Our easy-to-swallow capsules support healthy glucose levels and your metabolism at the same time.
- Formulated in the USA. Every PurePremium product comes from an inspected, and GMP certified facility right here in the USA.
- INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS. Insufficient blood applied to test strip will result in wrong readings. Please hold the lancing device firmly against your fingertip for enough sample. Watch our instructional videos in our listings to optimize your testing results. Our friendly customer support will always be here to answer your questions and help to resolve your concerns. (30 Day Money Back Guarantee)
- EXCEEDS INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS. AUVON BGMs can function within ±10%, or ±10 mg/dl of laboratory values over 95% of the time, which is far beyond ISO 15197:2013 passing standard (within ±15% or ±15 mg/dl). The manufacturer is certified with CE mark, GMP, ISO 13485:2016, and ISO 15197:2013 without having any recall on the market in the past 14 years.
- CUTTING-EDGE TEST STRIPS. We use cutting-edge test strips enzymes for blood glucose measurements. Our test strips are produced with unique Automatic Carbon Printing Technique to ensure that the quality of each batch of strips could be relevantly much more stable, precise and accurate. Additionally, PROMISED 0.15USD/pcs would keep you no pressure to repurchase.
- KEEP TRACK OF DATA. Store your test results with time and date helps you track and manage your health while also keeping a continuous 7/14/30 average results. Automatic off means our device works longer without having to worry about wasting battery life.
- ALL IN ONE: 1 x AUVON DS-W Blood Glucose Monitor, 1 x battery, 50 x Blood Test Strips, 50 x 30 gauge Lancets, 1 x Lancing device, 1 x Meter User Guide, 1 x Test Strip User Guide, Our Exclusive Lifetime Warranty and Technical Support and Friendly Customer Service.
Last update on 2021-05-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API