Carrots are one of the most popular vegetables and most universally used in the world today. They can be very healthy for anyone in general. We all relate carrots to the benefit of healthy eyes. But carrots are so much more than just that. Carrots are the best vegetable ever! But Are Carrots Good For Diabetics?
Why are Carrots Good for More than Just your Eyes?
Carrots contain beta-carotene which is the antioxidant that is powerful and is connected with lowering your risk of diabetes.
Research was done and showed that people with the most beta-carotene levels in their blood had over 30% lower levels of insulin than those folks who showed lower levels of beta-carotene.
You have to be careful with carrots though. Carrots have been assessed a GI score of 41 which is moderate on the glycemic index chart. So while carrots are good for folks with diabetes or some who do not have diabetes, they are not as good as many other vegetables when it comes to lowering your blood sugar and controlling your diabetes.
Because carrots are rich in vitamin A, they are able to protect against free radicals, aid in your cell growth, and improve your vision. This powerful antioxidant is responsible for reducing your risk for blindness if you are a diabetic. So carrots are a vegetable that you have to be careful with. They are higher in sugar content and should only be consumed in moderate amounts if you have diabetes.
Too many carrots are going to give you a negative result when it comes to your diabetes. It’s beneficial to have carrots in your diet, but with diabetes, just a little less than normal. Raw or steamed carrots are the best if you are a diabetic. One quarter cup a serving is sufficient. Whether or not you have diabetes, there are many benefits you will get from carrots.
Check Out the Video for More about Carrots & Diabetes
Important Benefits of Carrots
1) Blood Pressure
Since carrots are an extremely rich source of potassium, they can help your arteries and blood vessels to relax the tension, which can decrease the stress on your cardiovascular system by increasing the functions of all your organs from and increase in the blood circulation and blood flow.
The beta-carotene in carrots has been shown to decrease the risk of certain cancers., especially lung cancer. Research done in Britain revealed that by raising consumption of beta-carotene from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 milligrams daily, lowered the risk of lung cancer by over 40%! One carrot averages three milligrams.
The reason why carrots can help lower cholesterol is because of the large amounts of soluble fiber they contain especially from pectin. Governmental studies done showed that people who participated in the study eating one cup of carrots daily for three weeks lowered their cholesterol significantly.
4) Memory Loss
Studies were performed in the Netherlands revealed that folks of middle age who consumed the least amount of carrots were shown to have more than three times the decline in memory loss than those who consumed the most carrots.
Fiber is vital for your bowel health. It also helps in managing your weight and keeping your blood sugar levels under control. Fiber is good for your digestive system and it helps your appetite by helping you to feel full for longer periods of time. Carrots provide about 2 grams of fiber for you.
The beta-carotene in carrots helps to slow down the aging process. It does this by the high content that acts as an antioxidants to any damage to your cells by regular metabolism.
What is it about inflammation? It seems to be the root of all evil when it comes to our health. One leading cause of death is chronic inflammation of low level proportions. Inflammation has been pinpointed to be the underlying cause of cancers, Alzheimer’s disease, and heart disease.
The good news is that this can be fought and eradicated too by making sure that you stick to a healthy diet. This is where carrots come in and can benefit the inflammation in your body. They are rich in vitamin A which has awesome anti-inflammatory properties.
If you are deficient in vitamin A, it can be connected to inflammation in your intestines, lungs, and your skin. Actually carrot extract is more potent and anti-inflammatory than over the counter medications such as celebrex, aspirin, and ibuprofen.
8) Bone Health
So how can carrots help the health of your bones? For one, it’s the nutrients calcium and vitamin C that they contain that help with bone health. But it’s really the silicon in foods such as carrots that can provide better health for your bones.
9) Your Brain
Your brain and its functions can really benefit from carrots. They provide the ability of decreasing oxidative stress in your brain that is responsible for the weakening of neuron functions and also the ability to respond to signals very fast. This is vital to also slowing down the aging process. Everyone thinks that carrots are just for your eyes, (which they are) but they have so many other benefits such as your brain too.
10) Your Liver
You don’t want your liver to be overworked and in poor condition. Carrots work to help your liver and support it with its fiber and antioxidants. You want to have an increase in the secretion of bile from your liver which will work hard in preventing gallbladder disease and liver disease. This will basically give you the protection your liver needs.
11) Macular Degeneration
Macular degeneration is an eye disease more commonly found in the elderly that affects the function of the macula of the eye. But interestingly enough research found that people who had the most beta-carotene wound up with a 40% lower chance of developing macular degeneration than those who had the least.
As most of us have heard and know that yes, carrots ARE good for your eyes no matter what your age is.
It’s all about the beta-carotene in the carrots. So, eating one carrot a day can reduce your risk of a stroke by almost 70%! Research once again reveals that patients with the highest levels of beta-carotene wound up with the best survival rate. It just makes perfect sense to have a carrot a day with all the benefits that it gives you. Try and make sure it is in your diet.
13) Dental Issues
Believe it or not carrots can help in the cleaning of your mouth and your teeth. They actually help to remove food particles and plaque. Damage to your teeth can be prevented by the minerals in carrots.
The saliva in your mouth is alkaline which evens out the bacteria that is forming acid and it gets activated by carrots which also stimulate your gums. Another excellent reason to eat carrots.
Since potassium is the 3rd most abundant mineral in your body, it offers a lot for you. Carrots contain 400 mg and that’s just in one carrot. Potassium is useful in improving the health of your heart, your muscles, and your nervous system. It also may lower your risk of stroke and anxiety as well. In addition it regulates the absorption of your electrolytes.
15) Vitamin K
Carrots are an excellent source of vitamin K and helps your ability to clot. They also help your kidneys. Carrots contain vitamin C which helps your support your immune system and keep it healthy.
16) Weight Loss
Carrots are very low in calories. One cup of calories only has only 50 calories in each cup. When trying to lose weight carrots are always a great choice. They are high in fiber and decrease your overall intake of food. Carrots can help you to lose weight.
17) Immune System
It’s your immune system that keeps you healthy by fighting off the enemies such as bacteria, viruses, free radicals, and other threats to your health. So where carrots come in and play a role, it’s the vitamins A and vitamin D that play the main part in accomplishing this. These two powerhouse vitamins have the ability to regulate the immune responses and to also treat and to prevent autoimmunity and inflammation.
Your immune system also takes control of releasing immune cells in your stomach. One of the most vital things for your immune system is for defending your body against diseases which it accomplishes by triggering the activity and production of white blood cells. With everything that carrots have to offer including vitamin B6, they are extremely beneficial for boosting your immunity.
18) Your Mood
If you are looking to enhance your life and have less stress and have a more positive attitude, There was a study that was done that revealed that people who had a more positive attitude had more than 12% higher levels of carotenoids in their bloodstream than those who had negative attitudes. So eat your carrots and keep that positive outlook on life!
Cautions and Allergies of Carrots
So to reiterate about carrots and diabetes, you should be limiting yourself to carrots a few times a week. They are good for you, but not in excess amounts. Raw carrots are the best way to go as far as nutrition but cooking them is almost as good. that’s good for me because I like cooked carrots a lot more than raw ones. Carrot juice should not be on the list. (Too much sugar)
Carrots can cause allergic reactions in some folks who may be allergic to pollens. Also, where there are carrots that are grown in soils that are contaminated, there may be heavy metals contained and this could affect the quality and safety of the carrots.
The information that I provide on my website is purely based on my own personal experience and subsequent research into the diabetes disease. It is not intended to take the place of medical advice, diagnosis and treatment. Care and investigation should always be sought from an appropriate health care provider. I am happy to discuss my own symptoms, diagnosis and history of my diabetes disease but want to stress that I am not medically trained in any way. All opinions on my website are my own. I have created this site as a way to share information and experiences.
Final Thoughts about Carrots
So, Are Carrots Good For Diabetics? Carrots are very healthy for you, but they should be eaten in moderate amounts if you’re a diabetic. They are still beneficial for you and diabetes. Just be careful and not have too many and you’ll be fine. I always ask that you consult with your physician first before you do anything. It’s the wise thing to do. You really cannot go wrong with carrots in your diet!
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Rothchild, Sascha (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 336 Pages - 04/19/2022 (Publication Date) - G.P. Putnam's Sons (Publisher)
- ✅ QUICK AND EASY TO USE: Care Touch blood sugar test kit delivers results in only 5 seconds with just a 0.5µL blood sample. There is no programming needed since our blood sugar monitor kit automatically recognizes batch codes encrypted on Care Touch glucose test strips. Our state-of-the-art glucometer kit with strips and lancets includes single-touch strip ejection, so you can hygienically remove used diabetic test strips.
- ✅ EASY DIABETIC MONITORING: The blood sugar monitor kit with strips is capable of saving up to 300 readings. The blood glucose test kit also provides a continuous 14-day average of your readings, making glucose monitoring easy for you and your healthcare provider.
- ✅ PORTABLE AND HASSLE-FREE: The diabetic testing kit comes with a handy glucometer case, which means you can check your blood sugar level at home or anywhere else while staying organized. The 10-depth lancing device and lancets will help make blood sugar testing almost painless and hassle-free.
- ✅ COMPLETE DIABETIC SET: The glucose meter kit with strips and lancets includes: (1) Care Touch Blood Sugar Meter, (100) Blood Glucose Test Strips for diabetes, (1) Lancing Device, (100) Lancets for diabetes testing, (1) 3 Volt Lithium Battery, (1) Glucose meter case for your blood sugar tester and diabetic supplies
- ✅ WE CARE BECAUSE YOU CARE: You care about your health, and we care about you. Care Touch is committed to providing the best quality blood glucose monitoring systems. Our care doesn’t end when your sugar tester diabetes kit arrives at your door. We’re fully dedicated to your satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns about your glucose monitor kit with strips and lancets - contact us at any time.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- PUREHEALTH RESEARCH - Blood Sugar Formula 3 Bottles
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- A DOCTOR-APPROVED NATURAL FORMULA. Seventeen potent ingredients, each scientifically proven to have a significant effect at helping balance your glucose levels, improve glucose sensitivity, protect delicate cells from free radicals, and energy
- HIGH POTENCY. PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help you support healthy blood glucose levels
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: supports healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency support for 365 days a year; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health; daily support for healthy blood glucose levels, 365 days a year
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
Last update on 2022-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API