You should curb your blood sugars when it comes to diabetes. That’s why Portion Control for Diabetics is absolutely vital when you have type 2 diabetes. Select the correct portion size and control your diabetes. It’s critical that you choose your portion sizes correctly.
Why is Portion Control so Crucial When You’re a Diabetic?
Start by using smaller plates! This makes a huge difference when it comes to diabetes. You eat too much and gain weight and the blood sugar numbers go up. This is reality my friends.
There’s a lot when it comes to addressing your diabetes and it has to do with portion control and I know that you are aware of what I’m talking about.
Come clean now because I’ve been guilty too of portion sizes that are too big and that are not properly balanced. Raise your hand if your mom wanted you to be a member of the “clean plate club?” Me too!
But that doesn’t mean to pile it with unhealthy foods and to heights where you can’t see your neighbor’s house! Okay, I exaggerated just a bit. 🙂 But the fact of the matter is that we should learn at an early age about portion sizes.
Portion size is about losing weight too because that is a major factor with your diabetes. But it’s also about overall general health as well. Instead of the clean your plate club, let’s talk about the create your plate club, okay?
It’s a very easy and effective way to set up your portions on your plate that will help you in losing weight and managing your blood sugar levels. The key here is to fill your plate with protein and starchy foods of smaller portions and larger portions of non-starchy vegetables. This will benefit you immensely!
Size definitely matters when it comes to food portion sizes especially when it comes to type 2 diabetes. By controlling your portion sizes you are helping to control your blood sugar and diabetes. The portion size also helps you in managing your carbohydrates and your calories.
By taking control of these you can lower your blood sugar and the end result is that you can possibly reduce your need for any diabetes medications.
Recently Diagnosed with Diabetes?
SEE THE PRODUCTS YOU NEED TO GET STARTED
Examples of food portion sizes are:
- Tennis ball equals one cup (let’s say a serving of whole fruit)
- One deck of cards equals about 3 ounces of meat
- Six dice could be the serving size for one ounce of cheese
- One golf ball equals 1/4 of a cup
- One single serving of raw green leafy vegetables is approximately one cup (think of it as fitting into your hands cupped together)
Watch the Video Below for Additional Information About Portion Control
Excellent Tips on Portion Control for Diabetics
1) Tape Measure Your Food
Okay, just kidding about the tape measure, but do measure your food. Get yourself a small food scale and some measuring cups. After a while you’ll be a master at it you can just eyeball it and you’ll be good to go.
It takes time but you’ll get the hang of it. This is important. Do it! This doesn’t mean you have to bring anything to measure at a restaurant or a friend’s house for lunch or dinner. It might be a bit tricky in the beginning, but don’t be concerned.
2) Slow Down
Be careful because there’s a cop at your dinner table with a radar gun! But really, there’s no race here at all. Do not keep serving dishes on the table to tempt you for second or third helpings. A great tip is to chew slowly and put your fork down in between bites. When you’re finished eating, stop a relax before getting up for more. You should be full with the servings you had. Slow wins the race here!
3) Divide Your Plate Before you Conquer
Let’s start first by downsizing your dinnerware. The portion sizes are more than adequate on plates that used to be between 7 and 9 inches in diameter. Plates today are usually between 11 and 12 inches and plates in restaurants are 13 inches or bigger. Seriously? With dinnerware that big I could share it with the entire restaurant! Okay, exaggerating again but it’s ridiculous! 🙂
Now that we have the proper size plate, with diabetes you lose more weight than those who just eyeballed their meals. So the rule of thumb here is that you want to fill up half off your plate with vegetables that are non-starchy, one quarter with lean protein, and the last quarter with grains.
4) The Distractions
How common is this? When I was growing up the only thing that could be distracting was the TV and we weren’t allowed to have it on during dinner time. But now that are SO many distractions with TV, cell phones, laptops, tablets, and 40 million other gadgets that we aren’t focusing on our meal. It’s very important to pay attention when we’re eating and not be distracted.
5) Read the Labels
Food labels hardly ever existed way back when but they do now and it’s crucial that you read them thoroughly. They are updated and a lot more accurate than ever before. Always look at the servings size on the label! Nutrition is important and this is where you’ll find it.
6) Keep Track
There’s a lot of value in keeping track of your food intake and once you’ve mastered it, then it becomes much easier because you will know what to eat and just how much. Research revealed that people and diabetics in particular who track their food intake lose twice as much weight as those who do not track their food. But why else is this even more important?
Because by logging your food intake you are helping to control your blood sugars and as diabetics that’s what you want!
7) Dining Out
You’re not allowed to eat out anymore. Just kidding! But you have to be smart about it. Start out at home when it comes to measuring and then when you are experienced at it you can then use that knowledge in the restaurant.
Many restaurants today have calories and nutrition facts listed on their menus. Take full advantage of this. You must be aware that restaurant servings are much larger than you will be used to. So choosing and making adjustments are a given here.
It’s not the easiest thing when dining out and when you have to watch your portions and the way restaurants serve you. Combo meals should be avoided but even a typical meal serving is oversized. One good idea would be to split a meal with your partner or whoever you’re with if possible. Practice makes perfect and eventually you will get it right.
First of all you need to drink 6-8 eight ounce glasses of water everyday. But by drinking one of those full glasses before you eat, will help to fill you up somewhat and cause you to eat less than you normally would.
9) Making you Work
This is an excellent tip for causing you to slow down when you eat. Choose foods that make you “work” by having to peel, unwrap, or shell because it takes more time and a bit of work to get to the food such as pistachio nuts, oranges, walnuts, and grapefruits. Well, you get the picture.
10) Avoid Skipping Meals
Skipping meals isn’t a good idea and it can make your stomach rumble more than a freight train coming down the tracks. The result will be gorging yourself and that’s the last thing you want to be doing. To avoid overeating, find something with fiber, healthy fat, and protein to eat every few hours or so and this will help you with eating too much.
11) The “Hands” Rule
You may run into issues sometimes when you are putting together your meal or even a snack. Remember the hands rule: 1) The correct size of pasta or rice is about the size of your fist. 2) One serving of fat should only be about the size of your thumb. and 3) Lean meats should match the size of the palm of your hand. Got it? Good!
12) Keep Your Choices Limited
Sometimes measuring and thinking about it can be rather difficult for some folks, so try having a much smaller variety of foods on hand in your house. This actually can work by helping you from straying and overeating. The reason this works is because by having too many options of foods to eat will really weaken your ability to resist those extra foods.
13) Nut Scoop
I’m not a huge nut eater but if you are, you can really go “nuts” about nuts and overindulge for sure. 🙂 Investing in a nut scoop is a wise choice and here’s why: 157 calories in only 17 cashew nuts; 100 calories in only 15 almonds. Most folks will eat more than 3-4 times that amount and that’s not good for blood sugar or weight loss. The nut scoop is your counter and will keep you honest!
14) The Old Brown Bag
Folks who brown bag it a lot tend to lose more weight than those who don’t. In a study done, those who ate out once a week lost less weight.
You lose more control when you’re eating out in a restaurant. If you pack your lunch in a container, you can pack your protein and vegetables and choose the foods and portions wisely each day.
15) The Scene for Eating
It can make a difference if you actually “set up the scene” before sitting down to your meal. If you have peace and quiet by dimming the lights and having some relaxing music it will help you to enjoy your meal more and keep your portions lower as well. Chew slowly, remove the fork between bites, and drink water before, during, and after you eat.
Recently Diagnosed with Diabetes?
SEE THE PRODUCTS YOU NEED TO GET STARTED
Portion Control for Diabetics is extremely crucial to keeping your weight and diabetes in check. Portion control is something that can really make a difference for you when it comes to losing weight and controlling those blood sugars. It isn’t that difficult once you get the hang of it and you’ll be thankful you did.
Reverse Your Type 2 Diabetes
Then Click the Button Below
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds.
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight loss and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Excellent Accuracy: metene TD-4116 blood glucose meter and strips are produced with industry-leading chips and biosensor, equipped with industry-leading technologies, conducive to get accurate and reliable measurements
- No Coding: The blood sugar meter gets into measure status automatically once insert the blood sugar test strip to the bottom of the slot, easy to use and easy to read with large display for the senior
- Fast and Reduce Pain: This blood glucose monitor takes just 7s and 0.7µl blood to get the glucose value; The lancing device has 5 depth options to minimize wound and reduce pain
- Better Data Management: This glucometer stores the newest 450 blood glucose values and display the continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average; the measurements could be exported with windows-based software; help you track and manage your blood glucose better
- Diabetes Testing Kit 207 Piece Set: 100 glucometer strips, 100 30G lancets, 1 blood sugar meter, 1 lancing device, 1 control solution, 2 batteries, 1 protective wallet and 1 user manual; Please feel free to contact us if any problem when using this Diabetes testing kit
- Support cardiovascular health & blood sugar levels with the PurePremium blood sugar support dietary supplement, which contains essential vitamins, minerals and herbs.
- Support healthy glucose metabolism by adding our all-natural heart health supplement to your diet. Our advanced cardiovascular support capsules contain cinnamon, mulberry, vitamin c, vitamin e, magnesium, zinc, licorice root extract and manganese.
- Support blood cholesterol levels and make sure that your heart is healthy and strong. Support healthy insulin function and bolster your immune system against harmful free radicals.
- Our easy-to-swallow capsules support healthy glucose levels and your metabolism at the same time.
- Formulated in the USA. Every PurePremium product comes from an inspected, and GMP certified facility right here in the USA.
- INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS. Insufficient blood applied to test strip will result in wrong readings. Please hold the lancing device firmly against your fingertip for enough sample. Watch our instructional videos in our listings to optimize your testing results. Our friendly customer support will always be here to answer your questions and help to resolve your concerns. (30 Day Money Back Guarantee)
- EXCEEDS INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS. AUVON BGMs can function within ±10%, or ±10 mg/dl of laboratory values over 95% of the time, which is far beyond ISO 15197:2013 passing standard (within ±15% or ±15 mg/dl). The manufacturer is certified with CE mark, GMP, ISO 13485:2016, and ISO 15197:2013 without having any recall on the market in the past 14 years.
- CUTTING-EDGE TEST STRIPS. We use cutting-edge test strips enzymes for blood glucose measurements. Our test strips are produced with unique Automatic Carbon Printing Technique to ensure that the quality of each batch of strips could be relevantly much more stable, precise and accurate. Additionally, PROMISED 0.15USD/pcs would keep you no pressure to repurchase.
- KEEP TRACK OF DATA. Store your test results with time and date helps you track and manage your health while also keeping a continuous 7/14/30 average results. Automatic off means our device works longer without having to worry about wasting battery life.
- ALL IN ONE: 1 x AUVON DS-W Blood Glucose Monitor, 1 x battery, 50 x Blood Test Strips, 50 x 30 gauge Lancets, 1 x Lancing device, 1 x Meter User Guide, 1 x Test Strip User Guide, Our Exclusive Lifetime Warranty and Technical Support and Friendly Customer Service.
Last update on 2021-05-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API