Are Walnuts Good for Diabetics?
So Are Walnuts Good for Diabetics? Nuts are healthy and very beneficial for your health. Without even thinking about it the answer is yes, of course they are. Out of all the nuts there are, walnuts are about the healthiest. While all nuts have benefits for you, managing diabetes takes some work. Once you are diagnosed with diabetes, you have to make several lifestyle changes which means eating healthy and getting off your butt! 🙂
Now while diabetes means that you will no longer be eating some of your favorite “sugar” foods, nuts are not the ones causing diabetes or being eliminated. Nuts and walnuts are not only going to help you with your diabetes, but they are beneficial for pitching in against other health issues.
So you have diabetes and maybe having some troubles with your blood sugars. Then you might want to turn to walnuts as a healthy snack. They are good for your cholesterol. They’re also heart healthy and help your blood vessels to improvement.
Now the one thing that you have to watch and be careful with is calories. One ounces contains 185 calories, so you should be aware of that and not go overboard. But since walnuts provide healthy fats, fiber, and protein they make an excellent healthy snack.
Having a handful of walnuts a day can cut your risk for diabetes by 25%! It’s a great option to have to help avoid diabetes. Another positive feature of walnuts for diabetes is that out of all the nuts is that they have the highest content of polyunsaturated fats and there’s proof that these fats have positive effects on how your body uses insulin.
There has been significant research done about walnuts can help to prevent cancer, the onset of diabetes, benefits for cardiovascular, and gallstones. Since they are also a good source of omega 3 fatty acids, it’s also been shown to decrease inflammation. Decreasing inflammation is the absolute best thing you can do for your body.
One of the highest antioxidant foods available is walnuts and this helps to protect against oxidative stress and damage from free radicals. The health of your brain including your memory, your mood, and preventing the problem of trouble remembering as you age are things that walnuts can improve with.
Most nuts are low in carbohydrates. One ounce of walnuts has only four carbs. Most nuts including walnuts are low in the glycemic index. This measures how fast a certain food will raise your blood sugar. Walnuts and other nuts are low in this aspect which is good news.
Nutritional details of walnuts
One cup provides the following nutrients daily value:
- Manganese- 200%
- Calcium- 11%
- Riboflavin- 10%
- Iron- 19%
- Folate- 29%
- Thiamine- 27%
- Copper- 93%
- Vitamin B6- 31%
- Zinc- 24%
Health benefits of walnuts
* Losing weight- Even though walnuts are high in calories and high in fat, they can help you in the weight loss department. First things first, keep the portions low. One handful is about 13 pieces of walnuts and is enough to make you feel full without getting too many calories and too much fat.
We all seem to lose weight with snacking and those “empty” calories. Normally a person’s average snack is about 600 calories. With walnuts you’re looking at only less than 200 calories. Now couple this with at least some modest exercise and you could be losing a pound a week.
* Fiber- Your body needs fiber and about 25-30 grams a day. Most people are deficient in fiber. Walnuts gives you almost 8 grams of fiber with one cup a day. Fiber is so important with weight loss and and bowel movements.
* Breast cancer- Breast cancer risk can be reduced by having a few walnuts a day according to The American Society for Cancer Research.
* Your skin- Vitamin B’s are essential for the health of your skin and they also help lower your stress levels which results in your skin looking better. Walnuts are packed with vitamin B’s so they are good for you and your skin. The vitamin B’s coupled with vitamin E are antioxidants that aid in the fighting off the free radicals that cause stress. This process puts off your aging process.
* Hair follicles- Ingredients that help to strengthen your hair follicles are the omega’s, omega-3, omega 6, and omega 9- fatty acids and also potassium.
* Healthier hair- Trying to keep your hair looking healthier these days isn’t easy with all the negatives that can affect it such as a stressful and hectic schedule, pollution in the air, and bad eating lifestyle. Walnuts help tremendously by keeping your hair healthy whether you use externally as an oil or by consumption.
* Your scalp- If you have a healthy scalp, then you’ll have healthy hair. The use of walnut oil on a regular basis will keep dermatitis away by keeping your scalp hydrated and moisturized. Walnut provides properties that are anti-fungal and can help preventing ringworm that causes infections.
* Sleep- Would you like something to help you sleep better? Of course you do. Walnut contain melatonin which is the hormone that aids us in getting to sleep. Melatonin after all, helps you not only to fall asleep quicker, but helps you to stay asleep not wake up as often during the night.
* Your heart- Heart disease and cardiovascular risk factors can be reduced by decreasing your LDL levels of cholesterol by eating walnuts. Research was done and it showed that you can also reduce your overall BMI and fats in your blood by eating walnuts They contribute to heart disease. Pass the walnuts please!
* Antioxidants- Walnuts has more antioxidants than any other nut. This includes pecans, brazil nuts, and almonds. The polyphenols which are these healthy antioxidants contribute to every benefit that walnuts offers. You only need to have a handful of walnuts daily to obtain the benefits.
* Your immune system- And because walnuts have the highest amount of antioxidants, they are extremely beneficial in keeping your immune system running in top form! You need a strong and healthy immune system for survival.
* Your brain- Your brain gets the health benefits from the omega-3 fatty acids in walnuts. Any food that is rich in omega-3 fatty acids will help to improve your memory and work toward a healthy nervous system as well.
* Your bones- Are you aware of a fatty acid that is essential known as alpha-linolenic acid? Well bones that are healthier and stronger have this acid and its compounds that are responsible for that. Strong and healthy bones are important especially when you get older.
* Inflammation- You can benefits from any inflammatory diseases such as: arthritis, asthma, and eczema. Walnuts with their fatty acids give you the benefits you need to help with them.
* Digestive system- You can really help your digestive system running at peak performance with the fiber that walnuts contain. You need your bowels to be functioning well and that requires fiber which walnuts has in abundance. Dairy and meat products have protein but not fiber so walnuts can provide the needed fiber for the health of your digestive system.
* Fungal infections- If you have any fungal infections on your skin, or the growth of candida in your digestive system then black walnuts are your answer. They are going to treat the fungus. Itching and other symptoms are very uncomfortable. Have some black walnuts!
* Black circles- If you’ve got dark circles under your eyes, then applying walnut oil will lighten them. You can get the glow from your eyes and ease any puffiness with walnut oil.
* Sperm- You can help to helping the quality of semen by helping to improve the number of sperm with normal size and shape, their ability to survive, and their mobility. The reason for this is the levels of omega-3 fatty acids and omega-6 fatty acids are increased by the walnuts.
The possible side effects of walnuts
* Iron deficiency- There is a compound known as phytates and it can decrease the absorption of iron in food by as much as 50%. Black walnuts contain phytates so be careful.
* Medications- Since black walnut offered as a supplement, it can interact with medications you may be taking. It hasn’t been tested at this point with the FDA. Talk to your doctor!
* Allergic reactions- If you are allergic to any kind of nuts, you should not consume black walnuts. You may have reactions such as breathing difficulty, tightness in your chest or throat, or a rash.
* Skin rashes- You want to be very careful if applying black walnut topically because it could result in a skin rash coming from the chemicals in the compound of the nut. See your dermatologist if this becomes a major issue.
* Drying up- Black walnuts can dry up your mucus, according to the WebMD website. Therefore you could dehydrate and could cause issues with any meds you might be taking for a fever.
* Nausea- The allergens in walnuts can stimulate white blood cells to produce histamine. The histamines encourage allergic reactions such as stomach pain, nausea, and diarrhea.
* Swelling- Walnut allergies are serious. You could experience swelling of your tongue and throat and make breathing difficult. This requires immediate medical attention. Don’t assume anything!
The question is: are walnuts good for diabetics? With diabetes you want to not only keep your blood sugars low but have them controlled. Walnuts should be on your diabetes list of foods to eat and on your food list even if you aren’t diabetic. Walnuts are an excellent food to help you lower your blood sugar. If you want to have something that gives you even more power with lowering your blood sugar, I highly suggest this!
If you have any comments or questions, please leave them below. I would appreciate it. Thank you for reading and have a happy and a healthy one!