Anything in the green leafy vegetable category certainly is good for you. Is Broccoli Good for Diabetes? It is just about the healthiest food that you can eat. Broccoli is a member of the green leafy vegetables such as spinach, Brussels sprouts, and cabbage. We’ll learn just how beneficial that broccoli is for you, how it can help to lower your blood sugar, and how it can help you to become healthier.
Just How Healthy is Broccoli?
This nutritious plant is found in the Mediterranean region where it is acquired from the very watchful eye of breeding of the cultivation of leafy crops. The actual name “broccoli” comes from two words, one Italian word “Brocco” and one Latin word “Braccium” which means branch, arm, or shoot.
Even though broccoli is mainly green in color, sometimes it can have some purple shades similar to the cauliflower and cabbage family. The most common part of the broccoli that is eaten is the “flowering” heads. It is in the shape of a tree that is the top of a thick stalk that is edible.
Broccoli- the Hero Against Diabetes
It’s been found in research by the NHS, that either eating broccoli or drinking it in juice form could help in controlling diabetes. It could be the key and missing link in treating diabetes. It’s the compound sulforaphane in broccoli that aids in lowering blood sugar.
Sulforaphane is the ingredient that is responsible for lowering blood sugar and it has little to no side effects. According to the University Diabetes Centre in Sweden, it can be offered as a broccoli drink or “shake.” It can be another treatment in addition to others for type 2 diabetes. This broccoli “drink” can be great for people who are prediabetic. This is good news for diabetics and pre-diabetics. In fact, broccoli is good for everyone.
Broccoli is very healthy no matter how you look at it. There’s no need to necessarily get a broccoli shake. As far as I’m concerned just eating a good amount of broccoli will give me the benefits I need for my body and to help fight type 2 diabetes. Any cruciferous vegetable is healthy as well.
Nutritional Facts of Broccoli
Broccoli is an excellent source of nutrients that include vitamin A, vitamin C, fiber, selenium, folate, and beta carotene. It is also rich in minerals such as magnesium, manganese, and potassium and these are essential for a healthy body.
Broccoli can be eaten raw or cooked. Either way is okay, but really the most beneficial way health wise to eat it is to steam it or raw on your salad with your greens. I make sure I eat broccoli every chance I get.
Health Benefits that Broccoli Provides
1) Blood Pressure
Broccoli has an abundance of the mineral chromium which helps to regulate blood sugar and keeps the function of insulin running properly and in turn controls blood pressure as well. It also contains many vitamins, which also aid in keeping all of your body systems running smoothly.
You can lower your risk of cancer by eating a higher amount of vegetables that are in the cruciferous family. This is especially true with colon and lung cancer. And the studies that revealed this show that it’s because of a compound containing sulfur called sulforaphane.
This is what has the power to fight cancer. It seems to be common sense to me that you would want something that helps you fight against cancer, right?
3) Improve your Bone Health
You can be more at risk for a bone fracture if you are deficient in vitamin K. So where can you get enough vitamin K? Look no further. Broccoli provides more than your 100% daily requirement in just one cup.
So you’re covered in the vitamin K department because it helps to reduce your urinary excretion of calcium and at the same time improves your absorption of calcium. Vitamin K seems to be the lost vitamin. It doesn’t get the attention that the others do.
4) Fighting Aging
Free radicals can cause damage to your skin and because broccoli has vitamin C, it fights the free radicals with its antioxidant properties. You can reduce the appearance of unwanted lines by vitamin C eliminating the free radicals and thereby preventing aging of your skin. It’s good to keep your skin looking good.
Another important ingredient of broccoli is beta carotene. You may have heard about this in carrots. Well, between beta carotene, vitamin E and vitamin B, your skin can result in a natural “glow” and your skin staying young.
You’re always told to not forget your sunscreen and that’s important. You don’t want dried up old skin, or skin cancer, do you? Now sunscreen will absorb UV rays from penetrating your skin.
That’s fine, but you can get a broccoli extract and apply it topically, and it gets absorbed directly into the cells of your skin and produces a group of enzymes that help protect from exposure to UV. This can be a better choice than conventional sunscreens. Give broccoli a shot.
6) Hair Growth
If you want to promote the growth of your hair, look no further. Broccoli can help to stimulate the growth with the help of calcium, vitamin A, and vitamin C. Your hair follicles are strengthened by the calcium. Sebum, which is a secretion that is in essence a natural conditioner and moisturizer for your hair and scalp, is stimulated by vitamin C and vitamin A. Broccoli for hair growth has my vote for sure.
Watch the Video Below for Additional Information
about Broccoli & Diabetes
7) Hair Loss
Okay, so broccoli can help with hair growth. Perfect! How about hair loss in the first place? Well stress for one thing can be attributed to hair loss. What can help? Since broccoli contains vitamin B and specifically vitamin B6, it can aid in reducing stress and that will help with hair loss.
You can have much healthier hair because the vitamins that broccoli have help to support both your physical and mental well-being. So think about it, hair loss and hair growth? Where is my broccoli right now? I’m hoping for it to be in my mouth at my next meal.
8) Your Vision
To me there’s nothing more important than my eyesight. Are we on the same page? How does broccoli help your vision? Well I will tell you. The vitamin A that is in broccoli can aid in providing good health of your eyes and by helping your retina to absorb light.
As previously mentioned about preventing cancer, this can also prevents cataracts in your older years. Cataracts are fairly normal in later years but the properties in broccoli can help you to possibly avoid them.
9) Weight Loss
If you’re looking to eat healthy and lose weight, then broccoli should be on your list of weight loss foods. It has basically no fat and is low in calories. Again, vitamin C in broccoli can increase your fat burning potential when you are doing an exercise workout, according to research.
Why not take the extra “help” when working out that broccoli can help you with? No fat, low calories, and it helps you with weight loss? I don’t think I have to go any further. The writing seems to be on the wall.
10) Nervous System
You can maintain a healthy nervous system with broccoli due to the potassium it contains. And it doesn’t stop there either. It also helps in promoting the growth of your muscles and helps your brain to perform at its’ peak. Talk about brain food, this is it. This is one of the healthiest vegetables for you to eat.
There are specific things that can help detoxify your body. Sulfur, some amino acids, and vitamin C are the three that can do the job. This will aid in removing a toxic like uric acid and free radicals from your body.. The result can be your blood purified and staving off toxic issues such as: rheumatism, eczema, rashes, itches, arthritis, gout, and more. It’s amazing how much one superfood can do.
Since anemia is a lack of some proteins and iron, broccoli comes to the rescue to help treat anemia.It’s loaded with proteins and iron so it’s an excellent way to fight anemia. Red blood cells are produced by copper and iron that broccoli generously provides.
13) Chronic Disease Protection
A high consumption of fiber is linked to having a lower risk of diseases including: high blood pressure, obesity, coronary heart disease, diabetes, and stroke according to studies done. Get that fiber!
Exercise Caution with Broccoli
It’s wonderful that this amazing vegetable has so many health benefits for you. But be careful about any side effect such as an allergic skin rash or other side effects.
And always remember to check with your physician about any changes you make to your diet. They are the professionals who know you and your body so discuss everything with them.
This is very important. Too much broccoli can cause kidney stones. The kidney stones form and can occur when calcium stones derive from calcium oxalate which is a substance naturally found in foods. This increases your risk for kidney stones. Most vegetables don’t have a high amount of oxalates, but others such as broccoli have 10 milligrams for each serving.
Just don’t have more than 45 milligrams of oxidates per day. Broccoli is great for you, but drink plenty of water and don’t go overboard with broccoli. For the most part, normal portions of broccoli are what you want and will give you the most benefit without the risk of developing kidney stones. Consult your physician as always.
Final thoughts about Broccoli
Is Broccoli Good for Diabetes? It totally is. There are many foods considered to be superfoods. I believe that broccoli is at the top of the list. Eating broccoli on a regular basis and being part of your regular diet will help lower your blood sugar and help your body tremendously.
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds.
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight loss and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Excellent Accuracy: metene TD-4116 blood glucose meter and strips are produced with industry-leading chips and biosensor, equipped with industry-leading technologies, conducive to get accurate and reliable measurements
- No Coding: The blood sugar meter gets into measure status automatically once insert the blood sugar test strip to the bottom of the slot, easy to use and easy to read with large display for the senior
- Fast and Reduce Pain: This blood glucose monitor takes just 7s and 0.7µl blood to get the glucose value; The lancing device has 5 depth options to minimize wound and reduce pain
- Better Data Management: This glucometer stores the newest 450 blood glucose values and display the continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average; the measurements could be exported with windows-based software; help you track and manage your blood glucose better
- Diabetes Testing Kit 207 Piece Set: 100 glucometer strips, 100 30G lancets, 1 blood sugar meter, 1 lancing device, 1 control solution, 2 batteries, 1 protective wallet and 1 user manual; Please feel free to contact us if any problem when using this Diabetes testing kit
- Support cardiovascular health & blood sugar levels with the PurePremium blood sugar support dietary supplement, which contains essential vitamins, minerals and herbs.
- Support healthy glucose metabolism by adding our all-natural heart health supplement to your diet. Our advanced cardiovascular support capsules contain cinnamon, mulberry, vitamin c, vitamin e, magnesium, zinc, licorice root extract and manganese.
- Support blood cholesterol levels and make sure that your heart is healthy and strong. Support healthy insulin function and bolster your immune system against harmful free radicals.
- Our easy-to-swallow capsules support healthy glucose levels and your metabolism at the same time.
- Formulated in the USA. Every PurePremium product comes from an inspected, and GMP certified facility right here in the USA.
- INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS. Insufficient blood applied to test strip will result in wrong readings. Please hold the lancing device firmly against your fingertip for enough sample. Watch our instructional videos in our listings to optimize your testing results. Our friendly customer support will always be here to answer your questions and help to resolve your concerns. (30 Day Money Back Guarantee)
- EXCEEDS INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS. AUVON BGMs can function within ±10%, or ±10 mg/dl of laboratory values over 95% of the time, which is far beyond ISO 15197:2013 passing standard (within ±15% or ±15 mg/dl). The manufacturer is certified with CE mark, GMP, ISO 13485:2016, and ISO 15197:2013 without having any recall on the market in the past 14 years.
- CUTTING-EDGE TEST STRIPS. We use cutting-edge test strips enzymes for blood glucose measurements. Our test strips are produced with unique Automatic Carbon Printing Technique to ensure that the quality of each batch of strips could be relevantly much more stable, precise and accurate. Additionally, PROMISED 0.15USD/pcs would keep you no pressure to repurchase.
- KEEP TRACK OF DATA. Store your test results with time and date helps you track and manage your health while also keeping a continuous 7/14/30 average results. Automatic off means our device works longer without having to worry about wasting battery life.
- ALL IN ONE: 1 x AUVON DS-W Blood Glucose Monitor, 1 x battery, 50 x Blood Test Strips, 50 x 30 gauge Lancets, 1 x Lancing device, 1 x Meter User Guide, 1 x Test Strip User Guide, Our Exclusive Lifetime Warranty and Technical Support and Friendly Customer Service.
Last update on 2021-05-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API