One of most common life-threatening diseases in the world today is diabetes and it has been found through multiple of researches that it is linked to cancer. But what is the link of Diabetes with Cancer? Studies have shown that the global prevalence of diabetes mellitus (type 2 diabetes) among adults reached 387 million in 2014 and the number is drastically increasing daily.
The Connection between Diabetes & Cancer
Today, about 400 million people throughout the world are living with diabetes where 85 to 95 percent of these people are suffering from diabetes mellitus. Cancer is the second leading cause of death in many economically developed countries and the third leading cause of death in most developing countries.
It has been observed that diabetes is related to cancer with an increased risk of cancer at different sites of the body such as the liver, pancreas, colorectal, breast, endometrium, and bladder. It is important to discuss the overview of diabetes and cancer.
What do you know about diabetes? An overview:
In normal people, blood sugar levels are controlled within a narrow range of value. In the early morning after overnight fasting, the blood sugar level is low ranging between 80 and 90 mg/dl of blood. The blood sugar rises to 120-140 mg/dl between the first and second hour after a meal. You should wait for 2 hours after a meal to check your blood sugar.
In normal persons, the blood sugar is adequately maintained despite lack of dietary sources. The blood sugar regulating mechanism is controlled through the liver and muscle by the influence of the pancreatic hormones called insulin and glucagon. Insulin converts glucose to glycogen when there is a high level of glucose in the blood while glucagon converts glycogen to glucose when there is a need for glucose in the body system.
Insulin is the only hormone among all other hormones that reduce blood sugar level in the body. When there is a high level of blood glucose above normal in the body, diabetes is developed.
Types of Diabetes
Different types of diabetes can occur and the management depends on the type. Three major diabetes can develop in the body. These are type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, and gestational diabetes.
Type 1 diabetes: this type of diabetes develops when there is a deficiency in the production of insulin which is well for the conversion of glucose to glycogen in the body. In this condition, there is usually a high level of glucose in the body system. Patient living with this type of diabetes are usually given artificial insulin to stay alive and healthy.
Type 2 diabetes: this condition arises when the cells in the body do not respond to the action of insulin effectively. Unlike type 1 diabetes, there is a presence of insulin in the body but little or no response to its action by the cells and tissues of the body. According to the national institute of diabetes and kidney diseases, type 2 diabetes is the most common type of diabetes it is strongly linked with cancer.
Gestational diabetes: as the name implies, this type occurs in pregnant women when the body responds to insulin action is low. It does not occur in all women so it is a less common type of diabetes.
Management and Treatment of Diabetes Mellitus
Diabetes has no cure but it can be treated, controlled, and managed. The aims of managing diabetes are to achieve the following:
– Blood glucose level near to normal
– To control the blood pressure. The blood pressure should not go above 140/90. This is vital!
– Preventing the development of diabetes-related health problems
You need to follow these instructions for proper management of diabetes:
– Eat foods that have low sugar/glucose content and follow a balanced meal plan
– Regular exercising of your body to keep your weight balance
– Take your drugs as prescribed by your physician. Take note of when and time you are to take your medications. It’s crucial to record these!
– Keep proper monitoring of your blood glucose level and blood pressure. It is recommended that you should own a glucometer to monitor your blood glucose level and sphygmomanometer to monitor your blood pressure.
– Take your appointment with your doctor seriously. Always follow up every three months!
Treatment of Diabetes
You are aware that the primary aim of treatment is to regulate or keep the level of glucose in your body system as normal as possible. The cause of the diabetes type 1 and type 2 is different and their treatment is therefore different as well. Not that you are to visit your physician if you are a victim of diabetes for proper intensive care.
Type 1 diabetes is treated by introducing insulin into the body system of the victim. This insulin is normally injected into the body through injections or through a pump. The victim is then advised to take a balanced meal, keep the body weight balance, and reduce sugar consumption in his or her diet.
Type 2 diabetes is managed by keeping a healthy weight, being active physically and eating a balanced diet. Tablets and medicines that are capable of reducing the level of glucose in the blood are prescribed by the physician.
Things you should know about cancer!
Cancer begins in the cells in the living body. As you know that cells are the fundamental building blocks that give rise to the organs such as liver, kidneys, lungs, heart, etc. and tissues such as blood of our bodies. This cell replicates to give rise to more cells in a coordinated or well-programmed manner.
Cancer is a condition in which abnormal cells divide uncontrollably and destroy body tissue. There are not less than a hundred types of cancer. These include colon cancer, skin cancer, lung cancer, skin cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, etc.
Symptoms of cancer are based on the type of cancer. When an abnormal division of cells become uncontrollable, it may eventually form a tumor. One can actually reduce the risk of cancer by eating a balanced meal, healthy weight, exercising and forgoing smoking.
Symptoms of Cancer
Symptoms are signals of disease, illness, or injury. It gives notice that something is wrong in the body. Below are some of the symptoms of cancer.
– Discomfort after meal
– Change in skin coloration
– Change in breast size, shape, or texture
– Change in appetite
– Abnormal pain
– Weight loss or gain for any reason
– Unusual bleeding
Treatment of cancer may include surgery, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy.
Diabetes and Cancer
According to some recent researches and analytical reports from medical scientists around the globe, about 400 million people throughout the world have diabetes. It has, however, observed that up to 85 to 95 percent of the people are type 2 diabetes victims.
On the other hand, cancer became famous as the leading cause of death in many economically developed countries of the world. In developing countries of the world, cancer is recorded as the third leading cause of death.
Many renowned medical researchers and meta-analyses have claimed that diabetes mellitus (type 2 diabetes) is associated with an increased risk of cancer in various parts of the body. It has also been proved that diabetes decreases the risk of prostate cancer in men. It has however been proved that diabetes increases the risk of liver, endometrium, breast, bladder, pancreas, and colorectal cancer.
Some studies on the link between diabetes and cancer show that women are at higher risk than men. Women living with diabetes are about 25 percent likely to develop cancer compared with normal women without cancer.
Men living with diabetes are about 18 percent more likely to develop cancer than men without diabetes. For more than 5 decades, physicians have reported the occurrence of patients with concurrent diabetes and cancer.
Diabetes and Cancer Risk
An analysis shows that in every 1 in 5 people living with cancer is probably diagnosed with diabetes. This shows that people with diabetes are more at high risk of developing cancer. The reason for this has not been proved scientifically.
It’s cleared that type 2 diabetes and some types of cancer have some similar risk factors. Studies have shown that overweight increases the risk of developing diabetes and cancer in the breast, womb, kidney, bowel, and even the esophagus. Diabetes and cancer are also common at old age.
People living with diabetes type 1 are at high risk of developing cervix and stomach cancer while people living with type 2 diabetes are likely to develop cancer of the pancreas, liver, womb, bowel, bladder, and breast. It is evident that people living with type 2 diabetes have a lower risk of developing prostate cancer. The reason for this is not yet proven.
People living with cancer of the pancreas, primary liver cancer, and bowel cancer are likely to develop either of the well-known type of diabetes (diabetes type 1 and diabetes type 2).
You can reduce your risk of having cancer while living with diabetes:
Reduce your risk of having cancer of any type while you are living with diabetes by following the following instructions:
- Keep your weight balance
- Forgo smoking
- Take a balanced meal
- Exercising your body
- Avoid too much sugar
- Avoid using bleaching cream.
What is the link between diabetes and cancer? Now you know exactly what the connections are. These are two diseases you don’t want any part of and especially when one such as diabetes can cause the other, cancer.
Be smart. Get or stay healthy. Do whatever it takes to avoid diabetes. And that goes double for avoiding the terrible “C” disease! Don’t take your health for granted. It’s now or never! Don’t wait until it’s too late. Take action now! It’s that important.
Please share on social media below and forward this to others who need help and please leave any questions or comments you may have below. I would love to interact with you. Thank you for reading and I appreciate it!
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Rothchild, Sascha (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 336 Pages - 04/19/2022 (Publication Date) - G.P. Putnam's Sons (Publisher)
- ✅ QUICK AND EASY TO USE: Care Touch blood sugar test kit delivers results in only 5 seconds with just a 0.5µL blood sample. There is no programming needed since our blood sugar monitor kit automatically recognizes batch codes encrypted on Care Touch glucose test strips. Our state-of-the-art glucometer kit with strips and lancets includes single-touch strip ejection, so you can hygienically remove used diabetic test strips.
- ✅ EASY DIABETIC MONITORING: The blood sugar monitor kit with strips is capable of saving up to 300 readings. The blood glucose test kit also provides a continuous 14-day average of your readings, making glucose monitoring easy for you and your healthcare provider.
- ✅ PORTABLE AND HASSLE-FREE: The diabetic testing kit comes with a handy glucometer case, which means you can check your blood sugar level at home or anywhere else while staying organized. The 10-depth lancing device and lancets will help make blood sugar testing almost painless and hassle-free.
- ✅ COMPLETE DIABETIC SET: The glucose meter kit with strips and lancets includes: (1) Care Touch Blood Sugar Meter, (100) Blood Glucose Test Strips for diabetes, (1) Lancing Device, (100) Lancets for diabetes testing, (1) 3 Volt Lithium Battery, (1) Glucose meter case for your blood sugar tester and diabetic supplies
- ✅ WE CARE BECAUSE YOU CARE: You care about your health, and we care about you. Care Touch is committed to providing the best quality blood glucose monitoring systems. Our care doesn’t end when your sugar tester diabetes kit arrives at your door. We’re fully dedicated to your satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns about your glucose monitor kit with strips and lancets - contact us at any time.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- PUREHEALTH RESEARCH - Blood Sugar Formula 3 Bottles
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- A DOCTOR-APPROVED NATURAL FORMULA. Seventeen potent ingredients, each scientifically proven to have a significant effect at helping balance your glucose levels, improve glucose sensitivity, protect delicate cells from free radicals, and energy
- HIGH POTENCY. PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help you support healthy blood glucose levels
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: supports healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency support for 365 days a year; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health; daily support for healthy blood glucose levels, 365 days a year
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
Last update on 2022-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API