One of most common life-threatening diseases in the world today is diabetes and it has been found through multiple of researches that it is linked to cancer. But what is the link of Diabetes with Cancer? Studies have shown that the global prevalence of diabetes mellitus (type 2 diabetes) among adults reached 387 million in 2014 and the number is drastically increasing daily.
The Connection between Diabetes & Cancer
Today, about 400 million people throughout the world are living with diabetes where 85 to 95 percent of these people are suffering from diabetes mellitus. Cancer is the second leading cause of death in many economically developed countries and the third leading cause of death in most developing countries.
It has been observed that diabetes is related to cancer with an increased risk of cancer at different sites of the body such as the liver, pancreas, colorectal, breast, endometrium, and bladder. It is important to discuss the overview of diabetes and cancer.
What do you know about diabetes? An overview:
In normal people, blood sugar levels are controlled within a narrow range of value. In the early morning after overnight fasting, the blood sugar level is low ranging between 80 and 90 mg/dl of blood. The blood sugar rises to 120-140 mg/dl between the first and second hour after a meal. You should wait for 2 hours after a meal to check your blood sugar.
In normal persons, the blood sugar is adequately maintained despite lack of dietary sources. The blood sugar regulating mechanism is controlled through the liver and muscle by the influence of the pancreatic hormones called insulin and glucagon. Insulin converts glucose to glycogen when there is a high level of glucose in the blood while glucagon converts glycogen to glucose when there is a need for glucose in the body system.
Insulin is the only hormone among all other hormones that reduce blood sugar level in the body. When there is a high level of blood glucose above normal in the body, diabetes is developed.
Types of Diabetes
Different types of diabetes can occur and the management depends on the type. Three major diabetes can develop in the body. These are type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, and gestational diabetes.
Type 1 diabetes: this type of diabetes develops when there is a deficiency in the production of insulin which is well for the conversion of glucose to glycogen in the body. In this condition, there is usually a high level of glucose in the body system. Patient living with this type of diabetes are usually given artificial insulin to stay alive and healthy.
Type 2 diabetes: this condition arises when the cells in the body do not respond to the action of insulin effectively. Unlike type 1 diabetes, there is a presence of insulin in the body but little or no response to its action by the cells and tissues of the body. According to the national institute of diabetes and kidney diseases, type 2 diabetes is the most common type of diabetes it is strongly linked with cancer.
Gestational diabetes: as the name implies, this type occurs in pregnant women when the body responds to insulin action is low. It does not occur in all women so it is a less common type of diabetes.
Management and Treatment of Diabetes Mellitus
Diabetes has no cure but it can be treated, controlled, and managed. The aims of managing diabetes are to achieve the following:
– Blood glucose level near to normal
– To control the blood pressure. The blood pressure should not go above 140/90. This is vital!
– Preventing the development of diabetes-related health problems
You need to follow these instructions for proper management of diabetes:
– Eat foods that have low sugar/glucose content and follow a balanced meal plan
– Regular exercising of your body to keep your weight balance
– Take your drugs as prescribed by your physician. Take note of when and time you are to take your medications. It’s crucial to record these!
– Keep proper monitoring of your blood glucose level and blood pressure. It is recommended that you should own a glucometer to monitor your blood glucose level and sphygmomanometer to monitor your blood pressure.
– Take your appointment with your doctor seriously. Always follow up every three months!
Treatment of Diabetes
You are aware that the primary aim of treatment is to regulate or keep the level of glucose in your body system as normal as possible. The cause of the diabetes type 1 and type 2 is different and their treatment is therefore different as well. Not that you are to visit your physician if you are a victim of diabetes for proper intensive care.
Type 1 diabetes is treated by introducing insulin into the body system of the victim. This insulin is normally injected into the body through injections or through a pump. The victim is then advised to take a balanced meal, keep the body weight balance, and reduce sugar consumption in his or her diet.
Type 2 diabetes is managed by keeping a healthy weight, being active physically and eating a balanced diet. Tablets and medicines that are capable of reducing the level of glucose in the blood are prescribed by the physician.
Things you should know about cancer!
Cancer begins in the cells in the living body. As you know that cells are the fundamental building blocks that give rise to the organs such as liver, kidneys, lungs, heart, etc. and tissues such as blood of our bodies. This cell replicates to give rise to more cells in a coordinated or well-programmed manner.
Cancer is a condition in which abnormal cells divide uncontrollably and destroy body tissue. There are not less than a hundred types of cancer. These include colon cancer, skin cancer, lung cancer, skin cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, etc.
Symptoms of cancer are based on the type of cancer. When an abnormal division of cells become uncontrollable, it may eventually form a tumor. One can actually reduce the risk of cancer by eating a balanced meal, healthy weight, exercising and forgoing smoking.
Symptoms of Cancer
Symptoms are signals of disease, illness, or injury. It gives notice that something is wrong in the body. Below are some of the symptoms of cancer.
– Discomfort after meal
– Change in skin coloration
– Change in breast size, shape, or texture
– Change in appetite
– Abnormal pain
– Weight loss or gain for any reason
– Unusual bleeding
Treatment of cancer may include surgery, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy.
Diabetes and Cancer
According to some recent researches and analytical reports from medical scientists around the globe, about 400 million people throughout the world have diabetes. It has, however, observed that up to 85 to 95 percent of the people are type 2 diabetes victims.
On the other hand, cancer became famous as the leading cause of death in many economically developed countries of the world. In developing countries of the world, cancer is recorded as the third leading cause of death.
Many renowned medical researchers and meta-analyses have claimed that diabetes mellitus (type 2 diabetes) is associated with an increased risk of cancer in various parts of the body. It has also been proved that diabetes decreases the risk of prostate cancer in men. It has however been proved that diabetes increases the risk of liver, endometrium, breast, bladder, pancreas, and colorectal cancer.
Some studies on the link between diabetes and cancer show that women are at higher risk than men. Women living with diabetes are about 25 percent likely to develop cancer compared with normal women without cancer.
Men living with diabetes are about 18 percent more likely to develop cancer than men without diabetes. For more than 5 decades, physicians have reported the occurrence of patients with concurrent diabetes and cancer.
Diabetes and Cancer Risk
An analysis shows that in every 1 in 5 people living with cancer is probably diagnosed with diabetes. This shows that people with diabetes are more at high risk of developing cancer. The reason for this has not been proved scientifically.
It’s cleared that type 2 diabetes and some types of cancer have some similar risk factors. Studies have shown that overweight increases the risk of developing diabetes and cancer in the breast, womb, kidney, bowel, and even the esophagus. Diabetes and cancer are also common at old age.
People living with diabetes type 1 are at high risk of developing cervix and stomach cancer while people living with type 2 diabetes are likely to develop cancer of the pancreas, liver, womb, bowel, bladder, and breast. It is evident that people living with type 2 diabetes have a lower risk of developing prostate cancer. The reason for this is not yet proven.
People living with cancer of the pancreas, primary liver cancer, and bowel cancer are likely to develop either of the well-known type of diabetes (diabetes type 1 and diabetes type 2).
You can reduce your risk of having cancer while living with diabetes:
Reduce your risk of having cancer of any type while you are living with diabetes by following the following instructions:
- Keep your weight balance
- Forgo smoking
- Take a balanced meal
- Exercising your body
- Avoid too much sugar
- Avoid using bleaching cream.
What is the link between diabetes and cancer? Now you know exactly what the connections are. These are two diseases you don’t want any part of and especially when one such as diabetes can cause the other, cancer.
Be smart. Get or stay healthy. Do whatever it takes to avoid diabetes. And that goes double for avoiding the terrible “C” disease! Don’t take your health for granted. It’s now or never! Don’t wait until it’s too late. Take action now! It’s that important.
Please share on social media below and forward this to others who need help and please leave any questions or comments you may have below. I would love to interact with you. Thank you for reading and I appreciate it!
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds.
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight loss and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Excellent Accuracy: metene TD-4116 blood glucose meter and strips are produced with industry-leading chips and biosensor, equipped with industry-leading technologies, conducive to get accurate and reliable measurements
- No Coding: The blood sugar meter gets into measure status automatically once insert the blood sugar test strip to the bottom of the slot, easy to use and easy to read with large display for the senior
- Fast and Reduce Pain: This blood glucose monitor takes just 7s and 0.7µl blood to get the glucose value; The lancing device has 5 depth options to minimize wound and reduce pain
- Better Data Management: This glucometer stores the newest 450 blood glucose values and display the continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average; the measurements could be exported with windows-based software; help you track and manage your blood glucose better
- Diabetes Testing Kit 207 Piece Set: 100 glucometer strips, 100 30G lancets, 1 blood sugar meter, 1 lancing device, 1 control solution, 2 batteries, 1 protective wallet and 1 user manual; Please feel free to contact us if any problem when using this Diabetes testing kit
- Support cardiovascular health & blood sugar levels with the PurePremium blood sugar support dietary supplement, which contains essential vitamins, minerals and herbs.
- Support healthy glucose metabolism by adding our all-natural heart health supplement to your diet. Our advanced cardiovascular support capsules contain cinnamon, mulberry, vitamin c, vitamin e, magnesium, zinc, licorice root extract and manganese.
- Support blood cholesterol levels and make sure that your heart is healthy and strong. Support healthy insulin function and bolster your immune system against harmful free radicals.
- Our easy-to-swallow capsules support healthy glucose levels and your metabolism at the same time.
- Formulated in the USA. Every PurePremium product comes from an inspected, and GMP certified facility right here in the USA.
- INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS. Insufficient blood applied to test strip will result in wrong readings. Please hold the lancing device firmly against your fingertip for enough sample. Watch our instructional videos in our listings to optimize your testing results. Our friendly customer support will always be here to answer your questions and help to resolve your concerns. (30 Day Money Back Guarantee)
- EXCEEDS INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS. AUVON BGMs can function within ±10%, or ±10 mg/dl of laboratory values over 95% of the time, which is far beyond ISO 15197:2013 passing standard (within ±15% or ±15 mg/dl). The manufacturer is certified with CE mark, GMP, ISO 13485:2016, and ISO 15197:2013 without having any recall on the market in the past 14 years.
- CUTTING-EDGE TEST STRIPS. We use cutting-edge test strips enzymes for blood glucose measurements. Our test strips are produced with unique Automatic Carbon Printing Technique to ensure that the quality of each batch of strips could be relevantly much more stable, precise and accurate. Additionally, PROMISED 0.15USD/pcs would keep you no pressure to repurchase.
- KEEP TRACK OF DATA. Store your test results with time and date helps you track and manage your health while also keeping a continuous 7/14/30 average results. Automatic off means our device works longer without having to worry about wasting battery life.
- ALL IN ONE: 1 x AUVON DS-W Blood Glucose Monitor, 1 x battery, 50 x Blood Test Strips, 50 x 30 gauge Lancets, 1 x Lancing device, 1 x Meter User Guide, 1 x Test Strip User Guide, Our Exclusive Lifetime Warranty and Technical Support and Friendly Customer Service.
Last update on 2021-05-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API