Diabetes is one of the most notorious lifestyle diseases in the world today. The South Beach Diet is a weight loss diet created by Arthur Agatston and outlined in his book “The South Beach Diet”. Today, the South Beach Diet is a commercial weight loss diet, and many people are taking advantage of it to help lose weight and stay in shape. Is the South Beach Diet Good For Diabetics?
What does The South Beach Diet Offer?
However, the question is the South Beach Diet good for diabetics is crucial, and most people are curious about its effectiveness for diabetics and how it would serve them.
People with diabetes are limited in the foods they eat depending on the type of diabetes. Diabetes is a condition that is brought by either low blood sugar or high blood sugar levels in the body. Diabetes is important to control.
As you can guess, people with low blood sugar levels get different treatment from those with high blood sugar levels especially in cases of emergency. The South Beach Diet is good for people with high blood sugar levels as compared to those with lower blood sugar levels.
What is the South Beach Diet?
The South Beach Diet named after the fascinating area of Miami is a modified low carbohydrates diet. Remember carbohydrates are responsible for supplying sugar in the body and the diet doesn’t have a lot of glucose and doesn’t increase blood sugar levels in the body. The diet is instead high in healthy fats and proteins as compared to typical meals.
The primary purpose of the South Beach Diet is changing the balance of food eaten to help in weight loss, and it is considered as a healthy way to eat for people who want to lose weight as well as those who don’t want to add or lose. This is good for diabetics.
The South Beach Diet is a balance of lean proteins, good carbohydrates and healthy fats making it a fiber-rich and nutrient dense diet that is healthy for everyone. It eliminates the bad carbs from your meals using the glycemic index and the glycemic load to determine the carbs that should be avoided.
According to the diet, the foods with a high glycemic index increases blood sugar faster and for longer as compares to foods with a lower index. The increase in blood sugar boosts your appetite and leads to increased eating which causes weight gain and sometimes diabetes.
With this diet, you get to know about different dietary fats encouraging you to limit the unhealthy fats and eat foods with more monounsaturated fats. Emphasis is put on eating foods with high fiber and whole grains and the inclusion of vegetables and fruits in different meals. It’s good to note that the diet is low in carbohydrates but not as low as the real low carb diets.
What Makes the South Beach Diet Good for People with Diabetes?
The South Beach Diet is suitable for people with diabetes type 1 & 2, and it is also healthy for everyone else. People with diabetes are not looking to lose weight but to eat and stay healthy which the South Beach Diet emphasizes. People with diabetes are also not looking to get in ketosis so eliminating carbohydrates entirely from the body is not an option, and it’s still not an option for anyone.
The average adult requires 120 grams of carbohydrates every single day. This means that even if you have diabetes, you still need the carbs in your body. The South Beach Diet is low in carbohydrates, but it is not considered to be a low carb diet making it perfect for people with diabetes. These people need balanced levels of blood sugars, and this diet provides that. It’s one of the better diets around.
Watch the Video Below for More on the South Beach Diet
When you are a diabetic, you not only have to watch what you eat but you are also required to watch how and when you eat. This diet helps diabetics as it comes in different phases all of which are so beneficial to a person with diabetes.
In this phase, the diet aims at controlling hunger pangs. When you eat foods that increase the blood sugar levels, you tend to feel hungry more and more often leaving you exposed to junk food and sugar cravings. During this phase, the diet aims at resetting your body to enable it to burn fats faster, increase metabolism and eliminate starch and sugar cravings.
Most diabetics are also obese or have a high Body Mass Index (BMI). These people are encouraged to eat foods that will help them lose some weight, and here the South Beach Diet proves to be so beneficial. During this phase, the diet introduces good carbs in the body which helps in inducing steady weight loss. The diet doesn’t require you to get skinny, but it encourages your body to burns fats faster and increases metabolism all which help in weight loss.
This is also known as the weight maintenance phase and is most beneficial to people with diabetes. With the introduction of a new diet, your body has to maintain the new weight without hunger pangs or deprivation. Healthy eating is encouraged in diabetics, and the South Beach Diet is the best definition of healthy food.
This phase helps a diabetic learn how to eat foods in moderation keeping them from gaining weight or having to go back to the abandoned diet. This is the phase that makes the South Beach Diet for a diabetic a lifestyle diet and can prolong for as long as they like.
The South Beach Diet and Exercise
The good thing with the south beach exercise is that you lose weight without having to go to the gym or buy expensive training equipment. The diet emphasizes exercises for optimal health as what you eat is essential the same as how you move your body.
Exercise plays an important role in the life of a diabetic, and it is equally emphasized by the South Beach Diet. Regular exercise according to the diet helps prevent weight loss plateaus and also increases the rate of metabolism in the body. This combined with healthy eating helps in maintaining the new weight gained after the introduction of the diet.
It is good to note that as much as exercise is recommended in the diet, you don’t have to wear yourself out in the gym or doing expensive exercises. Moderate exercise such as interval walking is encouraged as well as stretching and other exercises that help strengthen muscles and improve motion range in the joints.
Exercise is recommended during every phase of the South Beach Diet, but you have to be careful not to do too much and risk giving up.
During the first phase, the body is adjusting and this is usually the hardest part. Your body and mind are stressed trying to cope with the new diet, and too much exercise can wear you out. Diabetics are encouraged to engage in simple exercises not to add any more stress in the body.
The second phase involves exercises that help improve stability and balance and also build strength. This doesn’t mean you stop the regular interval workouts. You increase the intensity to burn more calories. Upper and lower body exercises are perfect for this phase, and you can also do simple strength workouts at home.
Phase 3 of the South Beach Diet is long term, and you have to develop a plan that fits into your long time fitness goals. For diabetics, sticking with the diet proves beneficial as you don’t have to go back to previous diets or risk gaining weight. During this phase, you learn how to create a long term improved fitness plan and long term health plan too.
Is the South Beach Diet Good For Diabetics? Yes and it is easier to maintain and manage as compared to others. For diabetics, this means you move away from the life where you are always watching what you are eating to sticking to a healthy diet that doesn’t put your life at risk. This is achieved by adhering strictly to the South Beach Diet in the long run.
The diet to diabetics is beneficial in that is helps in quick weight loss during the first few weeks and also allows for several foods incorporated to the diet as part of the lifestyle. This diet enables diabetics to lose weight in a manageable and predictable manner which helps in the management of diabetes. It also helps manage blood sugar levels as it is low in carbs and it is a good source of unsaturated fats.
Another part of the diet which is extremely helpful and good for people with diabetes is moderate exercises. People with diabetes are encouraged to engage in moderate exercises to help boost their metabolism and quicken or increase the fat burning rate in the body.
The South Beach Diet is good for diabetics. No part of the diet is known to be harmful or severe to people with diabetes. It is best for managing diabetes, and it is easier to follow and stick to as compared to others.
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds.
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight loss and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Excellent Accuracy: metene TD-4116 blood glucose meter and strips are produced with industry-leading chips and biosensor, equipped with industry-leading technologies, conducive to get accurate and reliable measurements
- No Coding: The blood sugar meter gets into measure status automatically once insert the blood sugar test strip to the bottom of the slot, easy to use and easy to read with large display for the senior
- Fast and Reduce Pain: This blood glucose monitor takes just 7s and 0.7µl blood to get the glucose value; The lancing device has 5 depth options to minimize wound and reduce pain
- Better Data Management: This glucometer stores the newest 450 blood glucose values and display the continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average; the measurements could be exported with windows-based software; help you track and manage your blood glucose better
- Diabetes Testing Kit 207 Piece Set: 100 glucometer strips, 100 30G lancets, 1 blood sugar meter, 1 lancing device, 1 control solution, 2 batteries, 1 protective wallet and 1 user manual; Please feel free to contact us if any problem when using this Diabetes testing kit
- Support cardiovascular health & blood sugar levels with the PurePremium blood sugar support dietary supplement, which contains essential vitamins, minerals and herbs.
- Support healthy glucose metabolism by adding our all-natural heart health supplement to your diet. Our advanced cardiovascular support capsules contain cinnamon, mulberry, vitamin c, vitamin e, magnesium, zinc, licorice root extract and manganese.
- Support blood cholesterol levels and make sure that your heart is healthy and strong. Support healthy insulin function and bolster your immune system against harmful free radicals.
- Our easy-to-swallow capsules support healthy glucose levels and your metabolism at the same time.
- Formulated in the USA. Every PurePremium product comes from an inspected, and GMP certified facility right here in the USA.
- INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS. Insufficient blood applied to test strip will result in wrong readings. Please hold the lancing device firmly against your fingertip for enough sample. Watch our instructional videos in our listings to optimize your testing results. Our friendly customer support will always be here to answer your questions and help to resolve your concerns. (30 Day Money Back Guarantee)
- EXCEEDS INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS. AUVON BGMs can function within ±10%, or ±10 mg/dl of laboratory values over 95% of the time, which is far beyond ISO 15197:2013 passing standard (within ±15% or ±15 mg/dl). The manufacturer is certified with CE mark, GMP, ISO 13485:2016, and ISO 15197:2013 without having any recall on the market in the past 14 years.
- CUTTING-EDGE TEST STRIPS. We use cutting-edge test strips enzymes for blood glucose measurements. Our test strips are produced with unique Automatic Carbon Printing Technique to ensure that the quality of each batch of strips could be relevantly much more stable, precise and accurate. Additionally, PROMISED 0.15USD/pcs would keep you no pressure to repurchase.
- KEEP TRACK OF DATA. Store your test results with time and date helps you track and manage your health while also keeping a continuous 7/14/30 average results. Automatic off means our device works longer without having to worry about wasting battery life.
- ALL IN ONE: 1 x AUVON DS-W Blood Glucose Monitor, 1 x battery, 50 x Blood Test Strips, 50 x 30 gauge Lancets, 1 x Lancing device, 1 x Meter User Guide, 1 x Test Strip User Guide, Our Exclusive Lifetime Warranty and Technical Support and Friendly Customer Service.
Last update on 2021-05-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API