Diabetes is one of the most notorious lifestyle diseases in the world today. The South Beach Diet is a weight loss diet created by Arthur Agatston and outlined in his book “The South Beach Diet”. Today, the South Beach Diet is a commercial weight loss diet, and many people are taking advantage of it to help lose weight and stay in shape. Is the South Beach Diet Good For Diabetics?
What does The South Beach Diet Offer?
However, the question is the South Beach Diet good for diabetics is crucial, and most people are curious about its effectiveness for diabetics and how it would serve them.
People with diabetes are limited in the foods they eat depending on the type of diabetes. Diabetes is a condition that is brought by either low blood sugar or high blood sugar levels in the body. Diabetes is important to control.
As you can guess, people with low blood sugar levels get different treatment from those with high blood sugar levels especially in cases of emergency. The South Beach Diet is good for people with high blood sugar levels as compared to those with lower blood sugar levels.
What is the South Beach Diet?
The South Beach Diet named after the fascinating area of Miami is a modified low carbohydrates diet. Remember carbohydrates are responsible for supplying sugar in the body and the diet doesn’t have a lot of glucose and doesn’t increase blood sugar levels in the body. The diet is instead high in healthy fats and proteins as compared to typical meals.
The primary purpose of the South Beach Diet is changing the balance of food eaten to help in weight loss, and it is considered as a healthy way to eat for people who want to lose weight as well as those who don’t want to add or lose. This is good for diabetics.
The South Beach Diet is a balance of lean proteins, good carbohydrates and healthy fats making it a fiber-rich and nutrient dense diet that is healthy for everyone. It eliminates the bad carbs from your meals using the glycemic index and the glycemic load to determine the carbs that should be avoided.
According to the diet, the foods with a high glycemic index increases blood sugar faster and for longer as compares to foods with a lower index. The increase in blood sugar boosts your appetite and leads to increased eating which causes weight gain and sometimes diabetes.
With this diet, you get to know about different dietary fats encouraging you to limit the unhealthy fats and eat foods with more monounsaturated fats. Emphasis is put on eating foods with high fiber and whole grains and the inclusion of vegetables and fruits in different meals. It’s good to note that the diet is low in carbohydrates but not as low as the real low carb diets.
What Makes the South Beach Diet Good for People with Diabetes?
The South Beach Diet is suitable for people with diabetes type 1 & 2, and it is also healthy for everyone else. People with diabetes are not looking to lose weight but to eat and stay healthy which the South Beach Diet emphasizes. People with diabetes are also not looking to get in ketosis so eliminating carbohydrates entirely from the body is not an option, and it’s still not an option for anyone.
The average adult requires 120 grams of carbohydrates every single day. This means that even if you have diabetes, you still need the carbs in your body. The South Beach Diet is low in carbohydrates, but it is not considered to be a low carb diet making it perfect for people with diabetes. These people need balanced levels of blood sugars, and this diet provides that. It’s one of the better diets around.
Watch the Video Below for More on the South Beach Diet
When you are a diabetic, you not only have to watch what you eat but you are also required to watch how and when you eat. This diet helps diabetics as it comes in different phases all of which are so beneficial to a person with diabetes.
In this phase, the diet aims at controlling hunger pangs. When you eat foods that increase the blood sugar levels, you tend to feel hungry more and more often leaving you exposed to junk food and sugar cravings. During this phase, the diet aims at resetting your body to enable it to burn fats faster, increase metabolism and eliminate starch and sugar cravings.
Most diabetics are also obese or have a high Body Mass Index (BMI). These people are encouraged to eat foods that will help them lose some weight, and here the South Beach Diet proves to be so beneficial. During this phase, the diet introduces good carbs in the body which helps in inducing steady weight loss. The diet doesn’t require you to get skinny, but it encourages your body to burns fats faster and increases metabolism all which help in weight loss.
This is also known as the weight maintenance phase and is most beneficial to people with diabetes. With the introduction of a new diet, your body has to maintain the new weight without hunger pangs or deprivation. Healthy eating is encouraged in diabetics, and the South Beach Diet is the best definition of healthy food.
This phase helps a diabetic learn how to eat foods in moderation keeping them from gaining weight or having to go back to the abandoned diet. This is the phase that makes the South Beach Diet for a diabetic a lifestyle diet and can prolong for as long as they like.
The South Beach Diet and Exercise
The good thing with the south beach exercise is that you lose weight without having to go to the gym or buy expensive training equipment. The diet emphasizes exercises for optimal health as what you eat is essential the same as how you move your body.
Exercise plays an important role in the life of a diabetic, and it is equally emphasized by the South Beach Diet. Regular exercise according to the diet helps prevent weight loss plateaus and also increases the rate of metabolism in the body. This combined with healthy eating helps in maintaining the new weight gained after the introduction of the diet.
It is good to note that as much as exercise is recommended in the diet, you don’t have to wear yourself out in the gym or doing expensive exercises. Moderate exercise such as interval walking is encouraged as well as stretching and other exercises that help strengthen muscles and improve motion range in the joints.
Exercise is recommended during every phase of the South Beach Diet, but you have to be careful not to do too much and risk giving up.
During the first phase, the body is adjusting and this is usually the hardest part. Your body and mind are stressed trying to cope with the new diet, and too much exercise can wear you out. Diabetics are encouraged to engage in simple exercises not to add any more stress in the body.
The second phase involves exercises that help improve stability and balance and also build strength. This doesn’t mean you stop the regular interval workouts. You increase the intensity to burn more calories. Upper and lower body exercises are perfect for this phase, and you can also do simple strength workouts at home.
Phase 3 of the South Beach Diet is long term, and you have to develop a plan that fits into your long time fitness goals. For diabetics, sticking with the diet proves beneficial as you don’t have to go back to previous diets or risk gaining weight. During this phase, you learn how to create a long term improved fitness plan and long term health plan too.
Is the South Beach Diet Good For Diabetics? Yes and it is easier to maintain and manage as compared to others. For diabetics, this means you move away from the life where you are always watching what you are eating to sticking to a healthy diet that doesn’t put your life at risk. This is achieved by adhering strictly to the South Beach Diet in the long run.
The diet to diabetics is beneficial in that is helps in quick weight loss during the first few weeks and also allows for several foods incorporated to the diet as part of the lifestyle. This diet enables diabetics to lose weight in a manageable and predictable manner which helps in the management of diabetes. It also helps manage blood sugar levels as it is low in carbs and it is a good source of unsaturated fats.
Another part of the diet which is extremely helpful and good for people with diabetes is moderate exercises. People with diabetes are encouraged to engage in moderate exercises to help boost their metabolism and quicken or increase the fat burning rate in the body.
The South Beach Diet is good for diabetics. No part of the diet is known to be harmful or severe to people with diabetes. It is best for managing diabetes, and it is easier to follow and stick to as compared to others.
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Rothchild, Sascha (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 336 Pages - 04/19/2022 (Publication Date) - G.P. Putnam's Sons (Publisher)
- ✅ QUICK AND EASY TO USE: Care Touch blood sugar test kit delivers results in only 5 seconds with just a 0.5µL blood sample. There is no programming needed since our blood sugar monitor kit automatically recognizes batch codes encrypted on Care Touch glucose test strips. Our state-of-the-art glucometer kit with strips and lancets includes single-touch strip ejection, so you can hygienically remove used diabetic test strips.
- ✅ EASY DIABETIC MONITORING: The blood sugar monitor kit with strips is capable of saving up to 300 readings. The blood glucose test kit also provides a continuous 14-day average of your readings, making glucose monitoring easy for you and your healthcare provider.
- ✅ PORTABLE AND HASSLE-FREE: The diabetic testing kit comes with a handy glucometer case, which means you can check your blood sugar level at home or anywhere else while staying organized. The 10-depth lancing device and lancets will help make blood sugar testing almost painless and hassle-free.
- ✅ COMPLETE DIABETIC SET: The glucose meter kit with strips and lancets includes: (1) Care Touch Blood Sugar Meter, (100) Blood Glucose Test Strips for diabetes, (1) Lancing Device, (100) Lancets for diabetes testing, (1) 3 Volt Lithium Battery, (1) Glucose meter case for your blood sugar tester and diabetic supplies
- ✅ WE CARE BECAUSE YOU CARE: You care about your health, and we care about you. Care Touch is committed to providing the best quality blood glucose monitoring systems. Our care doesn’t end when your sugar tester diabetes kit arrives at your door. We’re fully dedicated to your satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns about your glucose monitor kit with strips and lancets - contact us at any time.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- PUREHEALTH RESEARCH - Blood Sugar Formula 3 Bottles
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- A DOCTOR-APPROVED NATURAL FORMULA. Seventeen potent ingredients, each scientifically proven to have a significant effect at helping balance your glucose levels, improve glucose sensitivity, protect delicate cells from free radicals, and energy
- HIGH POTENCY. PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help you support healthy blood glucose levels
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: supports healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency support for 365 days a year; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health; daily support for healthy blood glucose levels, 365 days a year
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
Last update on 2022-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
4 thoughts on “Is the South Beach Diet Good for Diabetics? | Low Carb Diet”
Thank you for sharing about the south beach diet and how it is good for diabetics. I truly believe that diet and lifestyle are crucial factors to all round health, including for diabetics.. and it is crucial, above and beyond medication which doctors love to prescribe us. I wish more people would turn to this sort of natural diet before going the medication route.
Hi Josie 🙂
I know that the South Beach Diet is very popular but I wanted folks to know that it’s also good for diabetics.
It’s so important for people with diabetes to control their blood sugars and the South Beach Diet can help to do that.
It also is great for losing weight which is also a big deal when you have type 2 diabetes.
Keeping your weight down is huge when it comes to having diabetes. It sure beats taking medication!
Thank you for sharing 🙂
This is a lot of valuable information. I’ve heard of South Beach but never knew a lot about it until now. I’m not diabetic but I have been told I have insulin resistance so I have to be careful. You mentioned it’s lower in carbs but not a low carb diet. Are the carbs lower than in the standard diet but not as low as Atkins or other low carb programs? Just trying to be clear. This information is very helpful to me so thank you for sharing it.
Hey Barbra 🙂
Thank you! It’s important to know that the South Beach Diet is a low carb diet, but a modified one.
The South Beach Diet is excellent for losing weight which is a key in the fight against diabetes.
Any diet that is low in carbs is good for folks with diabetes.
And yes you want to be careful if you’re insulin resistant.
Appreciate your feedback! Thank you 🙂