Diabetic neuropathy is a result of too much sugar in your bloodstream. Does Alpha Lipoic Acid Help With Neuropathy? Alpha lipoic acid is able to treat your neuropathy. Tingling, numbness and pain in your feet and legs are caused by neuropathy from diabetes. While alpha lipoic acid (or ALA) is beneficial with treating this condition, maintaining healthy blood glucose levels are the first defense against it.
What is Alpha Lipoic Acid?
While there’s no magic potion here, ALA can help in fighting the free radicals that are responsible for causing damage to your cells and in addition increase insulin sensitivity in your body. Peripheral neuropathy can occur not only in your legs and feet, but also in your arms and hands.
Neuropathy is no stranger to me since I have it in my feet. If you know anything about it, it is horrible. Thankfully, it’s only in my feet and it’s not pain, but I am passionate about treating this and helping you do the same. I was told by my chiropractor years ago that it’s permanent and there’s no cure. BULL****! Sorry, but I believe that there’s always something you can do and ALA is it!
I’ll be the first to admit that there are many underlying issues with diabetes and peripheral neuropathy. Other conditions are linked to diabetes such as hypertension, high cholesterol, heart disease and of course neuropathy. These are obviously serious issues to deal with. But alpha lipoic acid is found in your body in your cells. And this compound containing sulfur is fuel for your energy being produced in the mitochondria cells. This information helped me decide to start taking it for my neuropathy.
There have been clinical studies done showing that ALA is beneficial in supporting the management and controlling of type 2 diabetes and the complications resulting from it. It was also concluded that it can aid in enhancing the lowering of your blood glucose, sensitivity of insulin, improve your blood vessels, decreasing your cholesterol levels, lowering oxidative stress and treating neuropathy.
Details of Symptoms of Peripheral Neuropathy
Symptoms are most common in your legs and your feet but also in your arms and hands. But here are the most common symptoms:
- Cramps or sharp pain
- Losing your balance
- Having a sensitivity to touch
- Weakness of your muscles
- Numbness, especially to a point where you can’t feel temperature changes
- Issues with your feet for example: unable to feel any possible damage to your feet and infections or ulcers
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it’s time to call and see your doctor immediately!
So here is a secret that will help even further with neuropathy:
Acetyl L Caritine. So what is this amino acid? It’s a powerful antioxidant that improves function of the brain. Similar to alpha lipoic acid, it is responsible for the function of the energy in the mitochondria cells and it supplies the brain with the energy. It is a booster for transmitting nerve impulses for your nerve and brain functions. It is also linked to treating and improving anxiety and depression while providing benefits for your memory, cognitive ability, and your mood as well.
The key here is to take Acetyl L Caritine and Alpha Lipoic Acid together! This will speed up the process faster and give you better results with regards to addressing neuropathy. (Of course check with your doctor first) With alpha lipoic acid you want to make sure that you take the R- Lipoic Acid and not the S- Lipoic Acid. I will explain this later with further details.
Here are the best brands of Alpha Lipoic Acid and Acetyl l-Caritine that I take to help treat diabetic neuropathy:
Does Alpha Lipoic Acid Lower Blood Sugar?
ALA can be extremely beneficial for you and it can help you in lowering your blood glucose levels. This is according to several medicinal reports that there is a possibility that it can decrease blood glucose levels when fasting. But you want to talk to your doctor first because your blood sugar can decrease so you should be monitoring your blood sugar levels regularly.
Lipoic acid can have affects that are beneficial in treating diabetes by helping to lower blood glucose and also preventing it. Research performed revealed that patients with type 2 diabetes, ALA improved insulin sensitivity and decreased blood sugar levels. For these same type 2 diabetic patients again ALA was shown to reduce A1C levels, cholesterol, body mass index, triglyceride levels, and improve HDL good cholesterol.
ALA is being looked at because as a powerful antioxidant it is an excellent source for controlling specific complications of type 2 diabetes such as vascular disease, retinopathy and of course neuropathy. The nerve damage that occurs from neuropathy and diabetes can be very stressful both physically and emotionally. Between being uncomfortable with the burning pain, numbness, tingling, and prickling feeling sensations, it can really take a toll on you. Alpha lipoic acid can be a Godsend for your symptoms.
Health Benefits of Alpha Lipoic Acid
*Inflammation- Inflammation is the main cause of many diseases such as Alzheimer’s, diabetes and multiple sclerosis. Alpha lipoic acid has anti-inflammatory properties that reduce inflammation. People with diabetes can prevent cardiovascular problems because ALA decreases the oxygen from free radicals which improves the function of your blood vessels.
*Blood pressure- It goes without saying that high blood pressure is extremely unhealthy. It can and will cause a slew of health issues. You want to avoid strokes, heart attacks, and every other horrible disease and alpha lipoic acid is beneficial because it improves the function of the cells of your blood vessels. Check your blood pressure frequently and make sure your numbers are good. ALA can help you.
*Migraine headaches- These can be extremely painful I’m told. Thankfully I’ve never had a migraine. It’s hard enough to deal with a headache that is normal. It can just bring you down to where you can’t even function. Lipoic acid can be very beneficial in lowering the intensity, how long you have one and how often and that’s a good thing for sure. Headaches are NOT something you want!
*Live longer- This reverts back to the secret I gave you before. Research was done on rats that were old (Okay not that part) about the mitochondria and the rejuvenation. And after giving them ALA and acetyl L caritine, it decreased oxidants to a level of young rats. By fighting the free radicals that are the enemy, ALA is totally effective in the protection against them.
*Osteoporisis and bone loss- It was shown that alpha lipoic acid somewhat increased the bone mineral density in women who were past menopause with low bone density. Scientists tried this in female rats and it stimulated formation and halted bone resorption. Alpha lipoic acid is powerful!
*Weight loss- Studies showed that women who were overweight and following a diet counting calories, adding a supplement of ALA raised their weight loss numbers. Alpha lipoic acid can vastly increase fat metabolism and improve glucose numbers. You will get that full feeling for a longer period of time because there will be more fats and sugars that get broken down and being used for energy. This is a good thing because they won’t be stored as fat.
*Reactivating muscles- If you are a guy who’s exercising you can do oxidative damage to your muscles, but ALA can lower your risks of this happening. You can increase the regenerating of your muscles and halt oxidative stress related to exercise, and help to protect your cells and DNA by taking alpha lipoic acid supplements but not for the long term period.
*Your vision- It’s important to make sure that your vision is not affected by diabetes. And oxidative stress is more common as you age. ALA can be very beneficial by combating this in your eyes. Research was done showing that lipoic acid helps in improving your vision and other eye symptoms in patients tested for glaucoma.
*Healthy nerves- ALA helps to protect your nervous system, the peripheral nervous system and the central nervous system. While both are vital to your health, it’s the peripheral system that’s important when it comes to tingling, numbness because if your nerves aren’t healthy they can affect your feet and your legs. I have numbness in my feet especially the right foot which is why I make sure I get ALA and acetyl L caritine every day.
But the deal with the nerves is that it can affect your balance and your ability to hold on to something for support. This can become very serious. That’s why alpha lipoic acid is so important because it helps to support your nervous system and hopefully avoid any issues with numbness, tingling, pain and your balance too.
*Thyroid- Your thyroid is responsible for producing hormones that aid in the regulation of your growth, maturity, and metabolism. If your thyroid is challenged then your hormones are messed up. You can help in avoiding this by taking quercetin, resveratrol and ALA together that will indeed help with promoting thyroid hormone levels that are in the normal range.
*Skin- There are many different skin ailments that you could possibly have or wind up with. And there’s a variety of issues that can cause skin conditions including stress, too much sodium or too much sugar in your body, genetics, or age just to mention a few. Many skin care products are available to help you with skin that is dry cracked, or itchy. Alpha lipoic acid is another that can help you with having healthy skin.
Possible Side Effects of ALA
- Skin rash
- Pain in the abdomin
Alpha Lipoic Acid to get is the R-Alpha Lipoic Acid that is 100% pure in its natural state. Do not get the S-Alpha Lipoic Acid because it’s a commercial byproduct that isn’t “pure.” The recommended dosage is 600 mg once daily. Check with your doctor and do not take more. It’s important to check your blood sugars while you’re taking alpha lipoic acid. Run everything by your physician!
These are the best brands of Alpha Lipoic Acid and Acetyl l-Caritine. I take them everyday for diabetic neuropathy:
The information that I provide on my website is purely based on my own personal experience and subsequent research into the diabetes disease. It is not intended to take the place of medical advice,diagnosis and treatment. Care and investigation should always be sought from an appropriate health care provider. I am happy to discuss my own symptoms, diagnosis and history of my diabetes disease but want to stress that I am not medically trained in any way. All opinions on my website are my own. I have created this site as a way to share information and experiences.
Does Alpha Lipoic Acid Help With Neuropathy? ALA is very beneficial and for many health issues as well. But the most vital one and the main point of my article is for the benefits it provides for neuropathy. Taken with acetyl L carnitine you will begin to feel relief and the difference. It’s working for me when nothing else has.
Reverse Your Type 2 Diabetes Now!
Please forward this article to others who need help and please leave any questions or comments you may have below. I would love to interact with you. Thank you for reading and I appreciate it! Have a happy and a healthy!
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Rothchild, Sascha (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 336 Pages - 04/19/2022 (Publication Date) - G.P. Putnam's Sons (Publisher)
- ✅ QUICK AND EASY TO USE: Care Touch blood sugar test kit delivers results in only 5 seconds with just a 0.5µL blood sample. There is no programming needed since our blood sugar monitor kit automatically recognizes batch codes encrypted on Care Touch glucose test strips. Our state-of-the-art glucometer kit with strips and lancets includes single-touch strip ejection, so you can hygienically remove used diabetic test strips.
- ✅ EASY DIABETIC MONITORING: The blood sugar monitor kit with strips is capable of saving up to 300 readings. The blood glucose test kit also provides a continuous 14-day average of your readings, making glucose monitoring easy for you and your healthcare provider.
- ✅ PORTABLE AND HASSLE-FREE: The diabetic testing kit comes with a handy glucometer case, which means you can check your blood sugar level at home or anywhere else while staying organized. The 10-depth lancing device and lancets will help make blood sugar testing almost painless and hassle-free.
- ✅ COMPLETE DIABETIC SET: The glucose meter kit with strips and lancets includes: (1) Care Touch Blood Sugar Meter, (100) Blood Glucose Test Strips for diabetes, (1) Lancing Device, (100) Lancets for diabetes testing, (1) 3 Volt Lithium Battery, (1) Glucose meter case for your blood sugar tester and diabetic supplies
- ✅ WE CARE BECAUSE YOU CARE: You care about your health, and we care about you. Care Touch is committed to providing the best quality blood glucose monitoring systems. Our care doesn’t end when your sugar tester diabetes kit arrives at your door. We’re fully dedicated to your satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns about your glucose monitor kit with strips and lancets - contact us at any time.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- PUREHEALTH RESEARCH - Blood Sugar Formula 3 Bottles
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- A DOCTOR-APPROVED NATURAL FORMULA. Seventeen potent ingredients, each scientifically proven to have a significant effect at helping balance your glucose levels, improve glucose sensitivity, protect delicate cells from free radicals, and energy
- HIGH POTENCY. PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help you support healthy blood glucose levels
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: supports healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency support for 365 days a year; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health; daily support for healthy blood glucose levels, 365 days a year
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
Last update on 2022-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API