Mushrooms are one way you can certainly help to lower your blood sugar. They are extremely nutrient dense and healthy and are a low glycemic food of 10 and should be on a diabetics menu. Are Mushrooms Good for Diabetes? There is a lot more to come in answering this question.
What do Mushrooms Offer for your Health?
While you may think and consider mushrooms as fungi, they are actually very healthy for you and they should be included in your diet which should consists of low carbohydrates and fruits and vegetables and foods that are low on the glycemic index.
Because cardiovascular and diabetes are considered chronic diseases that consist of inflammation, mushrooms are able to decrease it because of their anti-inflammatory properties.
Mushrooms have fiber called beta-glucans which is a soluble fiber that can reduce blood glucose levels according to studies done.
Maitake mushrooms are great because of their medicinal properties and that fact that they taste good too. Studies were performed on rats with regards as to how maitake mushrooms affect blood sugar levels and it resulted in improving insulin activity and lowering the sugars as well.
Cordyceps mushrooms have been known to lower blood sugar levels. Research was done and in one study patients given 3 grams of cordyceps mushrooms each day saw results over approximately 95% of the patients.
Reishi mushrooms are known to lower your blood sugars and decrease higher levels of insulin. But if your blood glucose is already low, then you may want to bypass the reishi mushroom.
Lion’s mane- This is a white mushroom from Northern Africa that lowers blood glucose levels too. Lion’s mane produces the molecule NGF which helps to support the health of beta cells that produce insulin.
What are the Health Benefits of Mushrooms?
We need to keep our bodies protected and healthy. There are way too many viruses, bacteria, diseases and free radicals that can cause damage to your body that you obviously don’t want and don’t need.
Your immune system can get boosted by the powerful antioxidants known as selenium and ergothioneine which aid you in protection from any oxidative damage.
And to boost your immune system even further, mushrooms can protect you because it contains penicillin which is as I’m sure you know a powerful antibiotic. So add mushrooms to your diet for protection!
It seems that everyone wants to lose weight, right? Well not everyone but the majority of folks do. By eating healthy foods such as mushrooms, they can help you to accomplish that goal. Obesity is responsible for many diseases and at the top of the list is type 2 diabetes.
Trying your best to lose weight is going to give you better results against diabetes. Mushrooms have no fat or cholesterol, give you lean protein, and are loaded with fiber. These are all the good things you need to help you lose weight and help your type 2 diabetes.
For More on Mushrooms & Diabetes
Watch the Video Below
So speaking of cholesterol, since mushrooms do not contain cholesterol, they happen to consist of fibers known as beta-glucan and chitin which are responsible for lowering your cholesterol. The fiber is responsible for unclogging your arteries that were caused by the LDL bad cholesterol. Eating healthy and staying away from junk food that will clog your arteries in the first place is a good idea.
You don’t even need your doctor to tell you how important it is to maintain a normal blood pressure. High blood pressure can wreak havoc on your entire body and cause a huge number of health problems. Keep your pressure down.
I try and do whatever I can to make sure my blood pressure is at a normal rate. I shoot for the 120/80. It’s always about diet and exercise.
Mushrooms are a huge help because of the zero fats and cholesterol but also because they consist of potassium helps you to maintain a flowing of blood that is good and healthy for you and at the same time helping you to stay calm and relaxing your nerves because that is important too.
Halt Breast Cancer
Most of the world I’m sure is more into the awareness of breast cancer lately. It’s something that should and can be stopped. Knowledge is power and it’s crucial to learn everything about this dreaded disease before God forbid anything ever happens.
What you eat is extremely important for your health. Food is medicine. In order to prevent these free radicals from ever getting a chance to do any damage, eat foods that are rich in antioxidants such as mushrooms that will nullify any effects from the free radicals.
Mushrooms have lots of iron and copper in them. And this is good to know because they connect with each other to help prevent anemia and give you strong healthy bones. Copper will actually aid in the stimulation and controlling the absorbing of getting iron from food. So copper and iron work together and provide these benefits.
Want to Lower Your Blood Sugar?
See the one supplement that works
If you are Interested in Growing your own Mushrooms then Click Here
It’s always good for us when we have something that contains a lot of vitamins. Mushrooms are an excellent source of vitamins for you and can help in addressing issues of insufficiency that your body may be experiencing. Specifically mushrooms are plentiful in riboflavin, niacin, and pantothenic acid.
They are able to help control and keep a red blood cell count that is healthy for you. In addition they also aid in improving the regenerating of your cells and helping to encourage your body’s activity to naturally produce your hormones.
It’s important to have strong bones and especially when you get older. You want to make sure to do this and mushrooms can help because they consist of copper and calcium and we know how important calcium is for your bones.
Avoid osteoporosis and other issues with your bones and joints with getting sufficient quantities of calcium and copper each day to help keep those bones strong. So put mushrooms on your menu whenever you can.
This important vitamin is usually tough to get through plant foods. But mushrooms are an exceptional way to get the vitamin D that your body requires. Sunlight is also a good way to get your vitamin D. This vitamin is beneficial for your nervous system as well and helps your bones as previously mentioned.
Studies were done and the results were that because mushrooms do consist of the antioxidants glutathione and ergothioneine which I mentioned with regards to your immune system, they are linked with anti-aging resources. Anything that helps with aging is good enough for me!
Stroke and Heart Disease
It goes without saying that you most certainly want to avoid and prevent strokes and heart attacks. The Reishi mushroom has a load of defense against both of these issues. Research done showed that reishi contains acids such as mannitol, ganoderic, and coumarin that assist in lowering your blood pressure, triglycerides, rectifying heart rhythms that are abnormal, getting rid of too much cholesterol buildup from your blood, and decreasing the platelets that can stick together and form blood clots that are responsible for strokes and heart attacks.
Helps Battle Free Radicals
Free radicals are the bad guys that cause all the trouble in regards to disease. You can help protect against diseases such as high blood pressure, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke, Alzheimer’s, and cancer by consuming mushrooms and in particular Cordyceps mushrooms.
Stress can do a significant amount of damage to your body and your health. This is NO secret! It’s vital that we try and control our stress levels as best we can because the consequences are enormous. But I know that’s easier said than done, right? We can’t live in a closet, can we?
Eventually you would have to come out of the closet. No, that’s another story 🙂 But seriously stress is a killer and by consuming foods like mushrooms you can help to control stress a bit better.
What is potassium good for? It’s a mineral that is responsible for controlling blood pressure and maintaining the minerals and fluids in your body. So you would think bananas,right? Wrong! The fact is that mushrooms contain more potassium than bananas or almost any vegetable or fruit. So have your bananas because they are good for you but start including mushrooms and get double the benefit of potassium.
Let’s face it. You need all the vitamins for your body. B vitamins are plentiful with the B vitamins. B1, B2, B3, B5, and B9 are all inside mushrooms especially cairns mushrooms. You can find all the benefits of all vitamin B’s right here.
It’s vital that you always stay hydrated and by drinking plenty of water will help you do that. But mushrooms are almost 75% water which will keep you hydrated too.
Mushrooms happen to be one source of selenium that is not talked about much. It’s mainly because it’s found in animal products but since mushrooms are actually a fungus they are the best way for vegetarians to get the right amount of selenium. It’s important because it helps your teeth, hair, nails and helps your bones as well.
It’s always important to run everything by your doctor. While mushrooms can help to lower your blood sugar, you want to be careful when taking medications to do the same. Check your blood sugars regularly and don’t take any chances. Any changes, call your doctor!
Are Mushrooms Good for Diabetes? Now you should know why you should eat mushrooms for diabetes, right? Mushrooms might be something you never thought could help your blood sugars but they most certainly do. Make sure you aren’t allergic to them and that you don’t eat excessive amounts with checking your blood sugars. Be smart and healthy!
Lower Your Blood Sugar?
See the one supplement that works
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Rothchild, Sascha (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 336 Pages - 04/19/2022 (Publication Date) - G.P. Putnam's Sons (Publisher)
- ✅ QUICK AND EASY TO USE: Care Touch blood sugar test kit delivers results in only 5 seconds with just a 0.5µL blood sample. There is no programming needed since our blood sugar monitor kit automatically recognizes batch codes encrypted on Care Touch glucose test strips. Our state-of-the-art glucometer kit with strips and lancets includes single-touch strip ejection, so you can hygienically remove used diabetic test strips.
- ✅ EASY DIABETIC MONITORING: The blood sugar monitor kit with strips is capable of saving up to 300 readings. The blood glucose test kit also provides a continuous 14-day average of your readings, making glucose monitoring easy for you and your healthcare provider.
- ✅ PORTABLE AND HASSLE-FREE: The diabetic testing kit comes with a handy glucometer case, which means you can check your blood sugar level at home or anywhere else while staying organized. The 10-depth lancing device and lancets will help make blood sugar testing almost painless and hassle-free.
- ✅ COMPLETE DIABETIC SET: The glucose meter kit with strips and lancets includes: (1) Care Touch Blood Sugar Meter, (100) Blood Glucose Test Strips for diabetes, (1) Lancing Device, (100) Lancets for diabetes testing, (1) 3 Volt Lithium Battery, (1) Glucose meter case for your blood sugar tester and diabetic supplies
- ✅ WE CARE BECAUSE YOU CARE: You care about your health, and we care about you. Care Touch is committed to providing the best quality blood glucose monitoring systems. Our care doesn’t end when your sugar tester diabetes kit arrives at your door. We’re fully dedicated to your satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns about your glucose monitor kit with strips and lancets - contact us at any time.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- PUREHEALTH RESEARCH - Blood Sugar Formula 3 Bottles
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- A DOCTOR-APPROVED NATURAL FORMULA. Seventeen potent ingredients, each scientifically proven to have a significant effect at helping balance your glucose levels, improve glucose sensitivity, protect delicate cells from free radicals, and energy
- HIGH POTENCY. PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help you support healthy blood glucose levels
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: supports healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency support for 365 days a year; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health; daily support for healthy blood glucose levels, 365 days a year
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
Last update on 2022-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
6 thoughts on “Are Mushrooms Good for Diabetes? – Top 10 Benefits of Mushrooms”
I love mushrooms they are so great. I kind of a though mushrooms are healthy but did not expect this kind of a level.
Anyway even without mushrooms I would strongly recommend keeping a low level of sugar in our bloodstream. This is because later on, we become sugar insensitive which equals gaining weight.
Thanks for the great article. Definitely learned something new about mushrooms.
When I was growing up I never would eat mushrooms. It was hard enough for me to eat vegetables!
Things have changed as I learn about how good foods are for you, I changed and started eating most of them mushrooms included.
And you are correct, blood sugar levels have to be controlled and mushrooms can definitely help with that. We certainly don’t want to gain weigh either 🙂
Thanks for your insight!
This is all great information that you have listed here Rob, One of my close friends just recently got diagnosed with diabetes and he loves mushrooms so I will have to definitely forward this to him so he could check this out. I noticed that you listed some mushrooms there but those aren’t mushrooms I normally see at the grocery store is there a special place I would go to get those?
Hi Huy 🙂 First of all, thank you! Sorry your friend got this diagnosis. Mushrooms are one of many foods that help to lower blood sugars and treat diabetes. It’s awesome that they also provide so many other health benefits too. You can find a variety of mushrooms at Walmart! Thank you for your insight!
Wow, I had no idea mushrooms had so many benefits! I’ve always been told that they were considered one of the “free” foods in diets because they basically had not nutritional value at all.
My husband and I both take medications for pre-diabetes among other things. And we love mushrooms, so I’m adding them to my grocery list.
Thanks so much for your post!
Hi Suzanne 🙂 To be honest I too never knew that mushrooms had such nutritional value. Who would think that a “fungus” could be beneficial, right? Having type 2 diabetes, I am always looking for the best foods and best tips to treat it and to lower my blood sugar. Mushrooms are something I would never eat but not anymore. I add them to my diet as much as possible. Thank you for commenting!