Are Almonds Good for Diabetics? It’s a fact that having almonds after a meal can lower your insulin and blood sugar from high glycemic foods in your meal and thereby substantially lowering your glucose levels. By eating almonds with your meal that is high glycemic lowers the index of the whole meal afterward.
Why are Almonds Healthy for you?
Since diabetes is a medical situation where your body is not producing enough insulin or a decline in the potential of your body to use insulin, you need this hormone to allow glucose to be used by your cells correctly to be then converted to energy that your body is in need of for all its normal functions.
This is where we need foods such as almonds because they not only help in improving insulin sensitivity, they are very beneficial with lowering your LDL bad cholesterol numbers. There’s been extensive research showing that consuming almonds diminishes the unfavorable effects of having high blood sugar. This is great news but remember, you don’t want to overdo it either.
Almonds are healthy for you because they are very high in fiber, protein, and monounsaturated fats. Because they are composed of these, they have a lot to do with how well your body metabolizes fat for energy and also how well it stores the fat as well. Almonds will help you with obesity and weight loss too. We know that being overweight is a huge marker against you when it comes to type 2 diabetes. Of course overeating and lack of exercise always plays a huge role with having diabetes.
So how do these awesome nuts help you with weight loss? Complex carbs need a substantial amount of your body’s energy to break these carbohydrates down. Almonds are packed with these carbs and this leads to losing weight. That will help you with your type 2 diabetes.
You need to control the metabolism of fats in your body. This is vital when you have diabetes because your body cannot manufacture the fats and glucose in your body and this outcome is these will stay in your bloodstream.
Usually nuts are high in fat and may not be the perfect choice for a diet for diabetes that is low fat. Almonds are the exception because the healthy fats are linked to a lower risk of heart disease. Like everything else moderation is key.
For me, always loved chocolate and I always chose the Hershey’s chocolate with the almonds in them! But that’s not the case now with diabetes because of the sugar ingredients. But it doesn’t mean I give up the almonds just because of the chocolate!
The key here with almonds is to fit them into your meals whenever you can. You can add them to soups or salads or just have them as snacks. By having them with your meal you are lowering your insulin and blood sugar after your meal. The almonds with the low glycemic index will lower a meal with high glycemic index foods which lowers the increase in overall blood glucose.
Almonds are loaded with minerals and vitamins. They also contain magnesium, protein, copper, and vitamin E. They can decrease oxidative stress and inflammation in your body by approximately 13%. Almonds are excellent for diabetics to eat so feel free to include them in your diet.
Types of Almonds
While there are several types of almonds you can get the same benefit from them. They come in a variety of forms such as roasted, unsalted, salted, flavored and of course raw. They’re great to add to your meals especially salads. Slice them, chop them, and add to your favorite dessert as well. Take your pick from below!
*Mission almonds have a small kernel compared to the nonpareil and California types but have a hard shell too. These are good for the flavored almonds.
*California almonds too have a hard shell but are still fairly easy to whiten and come in varieties like the Carmel, Monterey, and Sonora almonds.
*Nonpareil almonds have a flat shape with a skin that is smooth and easy to whiten. They also can be recognized by kernels that are light skinned and smooth and they have an outer shell that is thin.
Top Health Benefits of Almonds
1) Brain health- Your brain controls everything and it’s important to make sure that you do everything you can to keep it strong and healthy. Almonds contain the needed nutrients to keep it functioning at it’s peak performance. They contain riboflavin and L-caritine which are vital for your brain and have been shown to decrease the risk of Alzhemier’s and enhance the activity of your brain.
2) Inflammation- One of the biggest issues, in fact I believe it is the biggest is inflammation because it is responsible for everything going wrong in your body including type 2 diabetes! Antioxidants are the enemies of inflammation because they fight against it and can win! They also have a second weapon against inflammation and that is the fatty acids. Fight inflammation and type 2 diabetes with almonds.
3) Digestion and constipation- Increasing your intake of fiber will solve your problem with constipation by helping you to have more stools regularly. This aids you in not being able to “go.” It’s the insoluble and soluble fiber that results in bulking up your stools. And because almonds help you with issues with constipation they also provide prebiotic benefits by stimulating the growth of the good bacteria in your gut.
4) Energy booster- You need a food with calories that are easy for your body to burn and give it fuel for energy and is heavily concentrated and that is almonds. They also contain copper, manganese, and riboflavin which are all aid in improving your metabolic rate. All you really need to boost your energy is one handful!
5) Cholesterol- You want to lower your LDL bad cholesterol to avoid cardiovascular disease. Consuming almonds not only lowers the LDL cholesterol but also raises your HDL good cholesterol. Again, all you need is just one handful of almonds a day. There’s no need to overdo it.
6) Hypertension- High blood pressure is serious. And there can be many reasons why this can occur. Being deficient in magnesium is one reason why. There are many folks who are low in magnesium and don’t even know it. There have been studies done to show that a deficiency in magnesium can cause hypertension. Almonds contain magnesium that can help with high blood pressure then.
An important fact to note too is that if you’re taking diabetes medications such as Metformin, they can affect your magnesium levels so you may want to check with your doctor about taking magnesium supplements or making sure you eat foods such as almonds with magnesium.
7) Your nerves- In order to keep your nerves healthy you need to have a sufficient amount of vitamin B’s in your system. Vitamin B12 is the one vitamin in particular that helps you keep your network of cells healthy. A deficiency in vitamin B can possibly lead to neuropathy which I have in my feet and it’s a numbness that is extremely uncomfortable.
You want to make sure your vitamin B levels are good because you don’t want it leading to disorders of your nervous system such as dementia, Alzheimer’s, and neuropathy. Have your doctor run your vitamin B numbers. But meanwhile stick with foods high in vitamin B such as almonds. They have made a difference for me!
8) Your immune system- If your system is high alkaline you can improve your immune system in fighting off diseases and other ailments. Almonds have vitamin E which happens to be a powerful antioxidant that is responsible for removing those free radicals which can be toxic because they do a lot of damage to your body and also encourage chronic disease. In addition, vitamin E in almonds helps fight off infections. You have to protect your immune system because it protects you.
9) Cancer prevention- Research revealed that regular consumption of almonds can help with lowering your risk of colon cancer. The reason is because they prevent the buildup of plaque which can lead to colon cancer and they accomplish this by supporting an improvement of food through the colon.
10) Your teeth and bones- You need phosphorous and calcium to help in having strong teeth and strong bones and almonds are excellent sources of these micronutrients. It’s vital to strengthen your skeletal system and enhance your bone mineral density so eat your almonds! It’s especially important for your teeth and bones as you get older.
11) Anti-aging- We all want to age gracefully and not show signs of aging with wrinkles and aging spots and fine lines. Almond oil comes to your rescue with its anti-aging properties that can help you to avoid this. Just by massaging almond oil on your face on a regular basis will help make a big difference!
12) Cardiovascular disease- It’s a smart idea to start changing your snacks from carbohydrates to nuts such as almonds. While almonds help lower the LDL cholesterol, they also help with abdominal fat. Along with vitamin E, magnesium, potassium, and folic acid almonds can help to significantly reduce your chance of heart disease.
13) Muscles- Good levels of protein help in building strong muscles. There’s enough protein in almonds that is going to help you with your muscle strength and help them stay in top shape because of magnesium. They also contain calcium and potassium which help too. And these are very beneficial for you.
Are Almonds Good For Diabetics? Nuts are healthy for you without a doubt. I love almonds and especially because they are healthy and beneficial for your blood sugar and helping to control type 2 diabetes. Controlling your blood sugar and treating your diabetes naturally is what it’s all about. Almonds can do that so eat them regularly to help your sugar and your overall health too!
Reverse Your Type 2 Diabetes Now!
Please forward this article to others who need help and please leave any questions or comments you may have below. I would love to interact with you. Thank you for reading and I appreciate it! Have a happy and a healthy!
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds.
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight loss and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Excellent Accuracy: metene TD-4116 blood glucose meter and strips are produced with industry-leading chips and biosensor, equipped with industry-leading technologies, conducive to get accurate and reliable measurements
- No Coding: The blood sugar meter gets into measure status automatically once insert the blood sugar test strip to the bottom of the slot, easy to use and easy to read with large display for the senior
- Fast and Reduce Pain: This blood glucose monitor takes just 7s and 0.7µl blood to get the glucose value; The lancing device has 5 depth options to minimize wound and reduce pain
- Better Data Management: This glucometer stores the newest 450 blood glucose values and display the continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average; the measurements could be exported with windows-based software; help you track and manage your blood glucose better
- Diabetes Testing Kit 207 Piece Set: 100 glucometer strips, 100 30G lancets, 1 blood sugar meter, 1 lancing device, 1 control solution, 2 batteries, 1 protective wallet and 1 user manual; Please feel free to contact us if any problem when using this Diabetes testing kit
- Support cardiovascular health & blood sugar levels with the PurePremium blood sugar support dietary supplement, which contains essential vitamins, minerals and herbs.
- Support healthy glucose metabolism by adding our all-natural heart health supplement to your diet. Our advanced cardiovascular support capsules contain cinnamon, mulberry, vitamin c, vitamin e, magnesium, zinc, licorice root extract and manganese.
- Support blood cholesterol levels and make sure that your heart is healthy and strong. Support healthy insulin function and bolster your immune system against harmful free radicals.
- Our easy-to-swallow capsules support healthy glucose levels and your metabolism at the same time.
- Formulated in the USA. Every PurePremium product comes from an inspected, and GMP certified facility right here in the USA.
- INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS. Insufficient blood applied to test strip will result in wrong readings. Please hold the lancing device firmly against your fingertip for enough sample. Watch our instructional videos in our listings to optimize your testing results. Our friendly customer support will always be here to answer your questions and help to resolve your concerns. (30 Day Money Back Guarantee)
- EXCEEDS INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS. AUVON BGMs can function within ±10%, or ±10 mg/dl of laboratory values over 95% of the time, which is far beyond ISO 15197:2013 passing standard (within ±15% or ±15 mg/dl). The manufacturer is certified with CE mark, GMP, ISO 13485:2016, and ISO 15197:2013 without having any recall on the market in the past 14 years.
- CUTTING-EDGE TEST STRIPS. We use cutting-edge test strips enzymes for blood glucose measurements. Our test strips are produced with unique Automatic Carbon Printing Technique to ensure that the quality of each batch of strips could be relevantly much more stable, precise and accurate. Additionally, PROMISED 0.15USD/pcs would keep you no pressure to repurchase.
- KEEP TRACK OF DATA. Store your test results with time and date helps you track and manage your health while also keeping a continuous 7/14/30 average results. Automatic off means our device works longer without having to worry about wasting battery life.
- ALL IN ONE: 1 x AUVON DS-W Blood Glucose Monitor, 1 x battery, 50 x Blood Test Strips, 50 x 30 gauge Lancets, 1 x Lancing device, 1 x Meter User Guide, 1 x Test Strip User Guide, Our Exclusive Lifetime Warranty and Technical Support and Friendly Customer Service.
Last update on 2021-05-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API