Nuts are healthy and very beneficial for you. Are Walnuts Good for Diabetics? Out of all the nuts there are, walnuts are about the healthiest. While all nuts have benefits for you, managing diabetes takes some work. Once you are diagnosed with diabetes, you have to make several lifestyle changes which means eating healthy and getting off your butt. 🙂
Why Walnuts are Healthy for you as a Diabetic
Now while diabetes means that you will no longer be eating some of your favorite “sugar” foods, nuts are not the ones causing diabetes or being eliminated.
Nuts and walnuts are not only going to help you with your diabetes, but they are beneficial for pitching in against other health issues.
So you have diabetes and maybe having some troubles with your blood sugars. Then you might want to turn to walnuts as a healthy snack. They are good for your cholesterol. They’re also heart healthy and help your blood vessels to improvement.
Now the one thing that you have to watch and be careful with is calories. One ounces contains 185 calories, so you should be aware of that and not go overboard. But since walnuts provide healthy fats, fiber, and protein they make an excellent healthy snack.
Having a handful of walnuts a day can cut your risk for diabetes by 25%! It’s a great option to have to help avoid diabetes. Another positive feature of walnuts for diabetes is that out of all the nuts is that they have the highest content of polyunsaturated fats and there’s proof that these fats have positive effects on how your body uses insulin.
There has been significant research done about walnuts can help to prevent cancer, the onset of diabetes, benefits for cardiovascular, and gallstones. Since they are also a good source of omega 3 fatty acids, it’s also been shown to decrease inflammation. Decreasing inflammation is the absolute best thing you can do for your body.
One of the highest antioxidant foods available is walnuts and this helps to protect against oxidative stress and damage from free radicals. The health of your brain including your memory, your mood, and preventing the problem of trouble remembering as you age are things that walnuts can improve with.
Most nuts are low in carbohydrates. One ounce of walnuts has only four carbs. Most nuts including walnuts are low in the glycemic index. This measures how fast a certain food will raise your blood sugar. Walnuts and other nuts are low in this aspect which is good news.
Check Out the Video Below
to Learn More About Walnuts
Nutritional Value of Walnuts
One cup provides the following nutrients daily value:
- Manganese- 200%
- Calcium- 11%
- Riboflavin- 10%
- Iron- 19%
- Folate- 29%
- Thiamine- 27%
- Copper- 93%
- Vitamin B6- 31%
- Zinc- 24%
Health Benefits of Walnuts
Even though walnuts are high in calories and high in fat, they can help you in the weight loss department. First things first, keep the portions low. One handful is about 13 pieces of walnuts and is enough to make you feel full without getting too many calories and too much fat.
We all seem to lose weight with snacking and those “empty” calories. Normally a person’s average snack is about 600 calories. With walnuts you’re looking at only less than 200 calories. Now couple this with at least some modest exercise and you could be losing a pound a week.
Your body needs fiber and about 25-30 grams a day. Most people are deficient in fiber. Walnuts gives you almost 8 grams of fiber with one cup a day. Fiber is so important with weight loss and and bowel movements.
Breast cancer risk can be reduced by having a few walnuts a day according to The American Society for Cancer Research.
Vitamin B’s are essential for the health of your skin and they also help lower your stress levels which results in your skin looking better. Walnuts are packed with vitamin B’s so they are good for you and your skin. The vitamin B’s coupled with vitamin E are antioxidants that aid in the fighting off the free radicals that cause stress. This process puts off your aging process.
Ingredients that help to strengthen your hair follicles are the omega’s, omega-3, omega 6, and omega 9- fatty acids and also potassium.
Trying to keep your hair looking healthier these days isn’t easy with all the negatives that can affect it such as a stressful and hectic schedule, pollution in the air, and bad eating lifestyle. Walnuts help tremendously by keeping your hair healthy whether you use externally as an oil or by consumption.
If you have a healthy scalp, then you’ll have healthy hair. The use of walnut oil on a regular basis will keep dermatitis away by keeping your scalp hydrated and moisturized. Walnut provides properties that are anti-fungal and can help preventing ringworm that causes infections.
Would you like something to help you sleep better? Of course you do. Walnut contain melatonin which is the hormone that aids us in getting to sleep. Melatonin after all, helps you not only to fall asleep quicker, but helps you to stay asleep not wake up as often during the night.
Heart disease and cardiovascular risk factors can be reduced by decreasing your LDL levels of cholesterol by eating walnuts. Research was done and it showed that you can also reduce your overall BMI and fats in your blood by eating walnuts They contribute to heart disease. Pass the walnuts please!
Walnuts has more antioxidants than any other nut. This includes pecans, brazil nuts, and almonds. The polyphenols which are these healthy antioxidants contribute to every benefit that walnuts offers. You only need to have a handful of walnuts daily to obtain the benefits.
Your Immune System
And because walnuts have the highest amount of antioxidants, they are extremely beneficial in keeping your immune system running in top form! You need a strong and healthy immune system for survival.
Your brain gets the health benefits from the omega-3 fatty acids in walnuts. Any food that is rich in omega-3 fatty acids will help to improve your memory and work toward a healthy nervous system as well.
Are you aware of a fatty acid that is essential known as alpha-linolenic acid? Well bones that are healthier and stronger have this acid and its compounds that are responsible for that. Strong and healthy bones are important especially when you get older.
You can benefits from any inflammatory diseases such as: arthritis, asthma, and eczema. Walnuts with their fatty acids give you the benefits you need to help with them.
You can really help your digestive system running at peak performance with the fiber that walnuts contain. You need your bowels to be functioning well and that requires fiber which walnuts has in abundance. Dairy and meat products have protein but not fiber so walnuts can provide the needed fiber for the health of your digestive system.
If you have any fungal infections on your skin, or the growth of candida in your digestive system then black walnuts are your answer. They are going to treat the fungus. Itching and other symptoms are very uncomfortable. Have some black walnuts!
If you’ve got dark circles under your eyes, then applying walnut oil will lighten them. You can get the glow from your eyes and ease any puffiness with walnut oil.
You can help to helping the quality of semen by helping to improve the number of sperm with normal size and shape, their ability to survive, and their mobility. The reason for this is the levels of omega-3 fatty acids and omega-6 fatty acids are increased by the walnuts.
Possible Side Effects of Walnuts
There is a compound known as phytates and it can decrease the absorption of iron in food by as much as 50%. Black walnuts contain phytates so be careful.
Since black walnut offered as a supplement, it can interact with medications you may be taking. It hasn’t been tested at this point with the FDA. Talk to your doctor!
If you are allergic to any kind of nuts, you should not consume black walnuts. You may have reactions such as breathing difficulty, tightness in your chest or throat, or a rash.
You want to be very careful if applying black walnut topically because it could result in a skin rash coming from the chemicals in the compound of the nut. See your dermatologist if this becomes a major issue.
Black walnuts can dry up your mucus, according to the WebMD website. Therefore you could dehydrate and could cause issues with any meds you might be taking for a fever.
The allergens in walnuts can stimulate white blood cells to produce histamine. The histamines encourage allergic reactions such as stomach pain, nausea, and diarrhea.
Walnut allergies are serious. You could experience swelling of your tongue and throat and make breathing difficult. This requires immediate medical attention. Don’t assume anything!
Final Thoughts about Walnuts
Are Walnuts Good for Diabetics? They are indeed. With diabetes you want to not only keep your blood sugars low, but have them controlled. Walnuts should be on your diabetes list of foods to eat and on your food list even if you aren’t diabetic. Walnuts are an excellent food to help you lower your blood sugar.
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Rothchild, Sascha (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 336 Pages - 04/19/2022 (Publication Date) - G.P. Putnam's Sons (Publisher)
- ✅ QUICK AND EASY TO USE: Care Touch blood sugar test kit delivers results in only 5 seconds with just a 0.5µL blood sample. There is no programming needed since our blood sugar monitor kit automatically recognizes batch codes encrypted on Care Touch glucose test strips. Our state-of-the-art glucometer kit with strips and lancets includes single-touch strip ejection, so you can hygienically remove used diabetic test strips.
- ✅ EASY DIABETIC MONITORING: The blood sugar monitor kit with strips is capable of saving up to 300 readings. The blood glucose test kit also provides a continuous 14-day average of your readings, making glucose monitoring easy for you and your healthcare provider.
- ✅ PORTABLE AND HASSLE-FREE: The diabetic testing kit comes with a handy glucometer case, which means you can check your blood sugar level at home or anywhere else while staying organized. The 10-depth lancing device and lancets will help make blood sugar testing almost painless and hassle-free.
- ✅ COMPLETE DIABETIC SET: The glucose meter kit with strips and lancets includes: (1) Care Touch Blood Sugar Meter, (100) Blood Glucose Test Strips for diabetes, (1) Lancing Device, (100) Lancets for diabetes testing, (1) 3 Volt Lithium Battery, (1) Glucose meter case for your blood sugar tester and diabetic supplies
- ✅ WE CARE BECAUSE YOU CARE: You care about your health, and we care about you. Care Touch is committed to providing the best quality blood glucose monitoring systems. Our care doesn’t end when your sugar tester diabetes kit arrives at your door. We’re fully dedicated to your satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns about your glucose monitor kit with strips and lancets - contact us at any time.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- PUREHEALTH RESEARCH - Blood Sugar Formula 3 Bottles
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- A DOCTOR-APPROVED NATURAL FORMULA. Seventeen potent ingredients, each scientifically proven to have a significant effect at helping balance your glucose levels, improve glucose sensitivity, protect delicate cells from free radicals, and energy
- HIGH POTENCY. PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help you support healthy blood glucose levels
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: supports healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency support for 365 days a year; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health; daily support for healthy blood glucose levels, 365 days a year
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
Last update on 2022-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
4 thoughts on “Are Walnuts Good for Diabetics?- Here’s Why they are Healthy”
Thanks for your great article.I never imagined that the Walnut has so many benefits and has nutrients such as Omega 3, Omega 6, Omega 9 & so on.I am a type-2 diabetic patient and I wish to get a suggestion from you about the quantity and frequency of intake of Walnuts.Also, advise as to how can we test that we are allergic to Walnuts.
Hi! Yes walnuts are very healthy for you. They help with diabetes and lowering blood sugar.
You want to have about 7-9 walnuts a day. They have calories so not more than that.
As far as testing goes, you should see an allergist to be tested for allergies for walnuts.
I hope this helps and thank you for your feedback!
I really enjoyed reading your post. Walnuts are so good for us and it’s a good reminder to include them in our diet! However, calories are important to keep under control so I thank you for stating that one ounce is one serving. And you stated some excellent health benefits from consuming walnuts.I like to put them in my salad instead of croutons so I can still get that crunch!
What would you recommend as the maximum amount of nuts one should have per day?
Thanks Katie! Walnuts are great for our health and in helping to lower blood sugar as well.
I agree that walnuts are better on salads than croutons are. I also love the extra crunch and the walnuts are heart healthy too.
I would recommend no more than 7-9 walnuts a day because of the calories. So just don’t over do it.
Thank you for commenting!