What is a Low Potassium Diabetic Diet? It’s really interesting how important and how magnesium and potassium play a role in your overall health. There are many foods high in magnesium and potassium which are beneficial for you. I think that a lot of us don’t realize just how important minerals are for our bodies and what foods contain the necessary minerals to survive. I am going to talk about these foods and reveal just why they are beneficial for your health.
Why Potassium & Magnesium?
When we are growing up we certainly don’t care what we eat as long as it tastes good and we enjoy it. But by eating properly as kids, we are building our body to become strong and healthy. It’s all about the foods that aid us in accomplishing this. It’s crucial that we have foods that have a lot of potassium and magnesium in order to continue to help our body function properly at all times.
Let’s begin with magnesium
So what is magnesium and what is it responsible for? It is a mineral that is involved in hundreds of biochemical reactions according to health officials and physicians. It’s benefits include maintaining the rhythm of your heart, making sure you have a healthy immune system, building strong bones,and maintaining the function of all your nerves and retaining normal muscle function as well. Since magnesium does so much for you it makes sense that the least you can do is to make sure your body has enough of it each day.
The only way we know what our magnesium levels are is to have our labs done. But you must ask the doctor to specifically run a check on it. The same goes with potassium and other minerals. Sometimes these may be included in your regular tests but your particular doctor may only order a routine test so it’s wise to ask the doctor what those tests entail. The first time I moved to Florida and found a new doctor, he didn’t do a complete CBC (complete blood count) on me so I asked him why. The end result was that I did wound up having CBC and you should too. Always know your numbers!
There are probably many folks who don’t know their magnesium levels and if you aren’t eating healthy, the chances are that you could be one of them. You can take magnesium supplements which are beneficial for you as long as you take the recommended dosage and your doctor is in agreement. But the better way to get the magnesium you need is through the foods that contain it. I take 250 mg of magnesium everyday. So because of the fact that I do eat foods containing magnesium my levels are good. You can see what you should have each day below.
NIH ( National Institutes of Health) recommends the following allowance of magnesium each day:
- Infants up to six months: 30 mgs
- Seven- twelve months: 75 mgs
- One – three years: 80 mgs
- Four- eight years: 130 mgs
- Nine – thirteen years: 240 mgs
- Fourteen- eighteen years: 360 mgs for women and 410 mgs for men
- Nineteen- thirty years: 310 mgs for women and 400 mgs for men
- Over thirty one: 320 mgs for women and 420 mgs for men
Health benefits of magnesium
- Helps you get to sleep and fight insomnia.
- Excellent for the health of your heart
- Aids in preventing migraines
- Gives you relief from muscle spasms and muscle aches
- Increases your overall energy
- Helps relieve constipation which aids in your digestion
- It will calm down your anxiety and nerves too
- Can help prevent osteoporosis
- Controls your levels of potassium, calcium, and sodium
- Can improve insulin sensitivity in diabetics
- May raise your level of performance while exercising
- Can lower blood sugar levels in diabetics
- Improves the mood of the brain thus aids in fighting depression
- Lowers high blood pressure
- Anti- inflammatory benefits from foods with magnesium
- For women, it can help with symptoms of PMS
As you can see there are many benefits of magnesium and low levels can cause many deficiencies in the body. I have had improvements with some of the problems listed that I had. There are many other minerals and elements that are crucial for your health. I just wanted to point out the downfalls of insufficient levels of magnesium so that you can correct it now before any negative health effects set in. Now I would like to share with you the foods that have the highest levels of magnesium.
Best foods for healthy levels of magnesium
- Nuts and seeds. Some of these include: flaxseed, cashews, almonds, pecans, Brazil nuts, walnuts, peanuts, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds. One half a cup of pumpkin seeds alone provides you with enough magnesium for the day.
- Soybeans are loaded with vitamins, fiber, minerals, and amino acids. There are other legumes such as: chickpeas, kidney beans, lentils, and black beans that also contain magnesium and are beneficial.
- Dark leafy green vegetables are the best sources including kale, Swiss chard, collard greens, and spinach (my favorite) Yeah Popeye! I can never get enough spinach
- Dark chocolate. Yes one square(sorry only one square because of the sugar and calories) will give you twenty five percent of the magnesium you need daily. I love chocolate and prefer milk chocolate, but unfortunately milk chocolate is not an option here. DARN!
- Bananas are loaded with potassium and are very healthy for you bit they also contain 118 mg of magnesium (in a medium sized banana) You can also choose blackberries, figs, strawberries, or blueberries. I stick with bananas because of both the magnesium and the potassium benefits.
- Avocado is extremely healthy for you all around. It one of the most beneficial fruits you can have. It has chemicals that fight diseases and it is packed with nutrients that are heart healthy and multivitamins as well.
- Low fat yogurt contains both calcium and magnesium which is a good combination. Make sure it’s low fat yogurt because of the sugar content.
- Fish are the healthiest foods to eat. Fish such as halibut, wild salmon,mackerel, and tuna definitely give you more magnesium along with omega 3 fatty acids and vitamin D.
There are plenty of foods that will give you the magnesium you need. So if you don’t eat some of them, you’ll likely eat others. It’s important to get magnesium for your body. Don’t overlook it. It’s necessary and healthy for you. I take it every day.
Next up – potassium
Like magnesium, potassium is necessary for a healthy life and survival. It aids in controlling high blood pressure, helps control the balance of minerals in and out of your cells in your body. Potassium also helps in regulating your fluids and aids in contracting of the muscles. In addition as we get older, it can decrease the risk of bone loss and help prevent the recurrent of kidney stones. You do not want kidney stones!
Like magnesium, potassium has many health benefits and it should also be checked through routine blood tests. It can lower your risk of stroke as well. Being deficient in potassium can cause issues with your cardiovascular system, depression, fatigue, and weakness of your muscles.If you’re one who has a problem with your kidneys, you don’t want to go overboard with potassium so you should not exceed 4,700 mgs daily. Having the proper amount of potassium also helps your nervous system working correctly.
NIH ( National Institutes of Health) recommends the following allowance of potassium daily:
- Infants- six months: 0.4 grams daily
- Seven- twelve months: 0.7 grams daily
- One – three years: 3 grams daily
- Four- eight years: 3.8 grams daily
- Nine- thirteen years: 4.5 grams daily
- Fourteen- eighteen years: 4.7 grams daily
- Nineteen and older: 4.7 grams daily
Health benefits of potassium
- Helps lower blood sugar
- Helps ward off a stroke (avocados play a big role here)
- Can boost your metabolism
- Regulates blood pressure
- Prevents muscle cramps
- Strengthens and build strong bones
- Allows muscles to contract and relax and helps stimulate cell growth
- Maintaining proper ph levels in the body
- Decrease diabetes risk
- Aids kidney function and reduces the risk of kidney stones
- Fights off losing muscle mass
- May help prevent the beginning of Alzheimer’s disease
- Helps fight against gum disease
- Reduced pain associated with rheumatoid arthritis
Potassium is like a super hero for your body and your health just as magnesium as. Eating foods that have both potassium and magnesium gives you a one two punch! When you stop and think about it for a minute, all of the things that both potassium and magnesium aid in and fight against wouldn’t be an issue if we were eating the proper foods in the first place. The bottom line is that we wouldn’t need medicine if we ate healthy. Food is the right medicine!
Best foods for healthy levels of potassium
- Bananas. It’s about the best food you can eat for potassium. (400 mg each)
- Sun-dried tomatoes contain 1,800 mg per cup (almost 50% of your daily requirement)
- Potatoes are a great source of potassium whether they are white, sweet, or red potatoes. They are high in vitamins B6 and vitamin C and iron. The contain fiber which is found more in the skin than inside the potato itself. One medium sized potato can offer 900 mg of potassium.
- Dark leafy greens. As with magnesium, dark leafy greens offer potassium as well. Eat your greens!
- Milk and dairy products can provide the potassium you need too. 300 mg are in one cup of whole milk.
- Fish once again has omega 3 fatty acids and just about any fish will provide you with about ten percent of the daily requirements for potassium for you.
What is a Low Potassium Diabetic Diet? Potassium is something you need but you most likely don’t know if you’re deficient or not unless you have your blood tests done and your physician is aware of it. The bottom line here is that as you can see there are a lot of foods that are common with having both magnesium and potassium in them that can also help lower your blood sugars.
Potassium and magnesium can help with your sugars but if it isn’t enough and you need to lower them more, then something with more punch may help you. This just works!
I hope that you learned something and that it helps you get or become healthier. Please leave any comments or questions that you may have. I would appreciate it and will get back to you as soon as I possibly can. Thank you and here’s to great health for you!
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds. Portable. Travel Size
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Dr. Mark Hyman reveals that the secret to losing weight and preventing not just diabetes but also heart disease, stroke, dementia, and cancer is balanced insulin levels.
- Mark Hyman M.D. (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 448 Pages - 12/30/2014 (Publication Date) - Little, Brown Spark (Publisher)
- Advanced Glucometer Kit: metene TD-4116 diabetes testing kit is equipped with advanced technologies, bring more accurate and reliable results and better experience for your blood sugar control; a control solution is included for checking the glucometer and strips
- Easy to Use: The blood glucose monitor is with code-free design, ready for testing once insert the strip correctly; the quick guide inside the package lists the steps to do a test clearly, easy to follow; any problem about operation, we are here ready to answer and provide glucose monitoring system instructional videos
- 7 Seconds And 0.7µl Blood: This blood glucose meter kit just need 0.7 microliter blood sample and 7 seconds to get you blood glucose value; Fast, minimize wound and less painful
- More Clearly Glucose Trend: 4 modes to record your glucose value according to different time, shows your glucose trend more clearly; 450 blood sugar values storage, continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average, which bring more convenient Diabetes management for you and your health provider
- User-friendly for The Aged: 4 reminder alarms could be set everyday to remind the aged to do a test in time, considerate; the display is more large than most glucose monitors, showing the results more clearly, easier to read for the aged
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
Last update on 2022-01-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API