Does Diabetes Cause Loss of Appetite? You want to lose weight and maybe have to lose weight. It’s never been easy because you have to learn how to suppress your appetite. There’s nothing worse than the sound and the feeling of your stomach growling. UGH! It can happen at any time and there may be many reasons for it. The purpose here is to find out how to control those hunger pains and what you can do to try and avoid them.
What we really have to learn to do is to eat to live and not live to eat. Food is for survival and not just something for you to pass the time of day. That is emotional eating.
Doesn’t it seem that you get more hunger cravings when you’re on a diet? It’s because you feel you can’t have the foods you normally eat and you get cravings for those foods. At least that’s the way it’s happened with me.
Definition of Hunger-Foods that fill you up
Hunger is a feeling of uneasiness or discomfort caused by the lack of food in your stomach. This is giving you the feeling of needing to eat something. And this feeling can be very uncomfortable and hard to control.
You can actually (although I wouldn’t recommend trying it) survive without food for about ten weeks. When we get that feeling of hunger gnawing at us, it’s very annoying and uncomfortable and forces us to eat when it’s not necessary. This is very bothersome.
What you have to do is to learn about how and when you should be eating and not suffer any hunger pains at all. You have to reprogram your mind and you body about eating. Because it comes down to mind over matter. If you don’t mind, then it doesn’t matter. Believe it or not there are many ways to prevent non-essential eating and having that empty feeling in your stomach.
Suppressing your Appetite with Eating Right & Exercising
1) Eating Foods that fill you up
Controlling that empty feeling in your stomach starts out with eating the right foods that curb that feeling and that make you feel fuller. Start your day with the correct breakfast and don’t skip it. Oatmeal is one if the best things you can have that will fight your hunger for the morning until it’s time for lunch.
So just why is oatmeal a great choice? Simply put, it will not cause your blood sugar levels to rise which will bring on that hunger feeling. This is especially important if you are a diabetic.
You want to lower your blood sugar naturally and one important way is to eat the foods that lower your blood sugar and not raise them. You want to have a high fiber diet and the reason that oatmeal is good for you is because it slows down the absorption and digestion of carbohydrates.
Have your oatmeal, an apple, and grapefruit for a nice filling and healthy breakfast. These foods will help you suppress your appetite. You’ll be eating healthy and helping to lower your blood sugar at the same time. And it doesn’t matter what kind of oats you have. It can be rolled oats, steel cut or quick oats. You will get the same result.
Nuts are also a great way of getting the fiber you need and making your stomach feel full. Because nuts have unsaturated fat, protein, and fiber, you can get the benefits from them by eating a portion a day. Almonds are especially healthy and beneficial. This will make you feel a lot less hungry.
Dark chocolate can satisfy your cravings, but only a little bit. I like milk chocolate better, but you can have your cake and eat it as the saying goes. (If you’re smart & have it without indulging)
Grapefruit is an excellent choice because it also helps with losing the extra pounds that want to get rid of. It is an excellent source of fiber, vitamins, potassium, and contains calcium, folate, vitamin B6, and magnesium. It has of course Vitamin C which help build up your immunity system to fighting infection. It also reduces the risks of rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, and asthma.
Flaxseeds are extremely beneficial too, especially for diabetics because they will halt your blood sugar from going out of whack. They are high in fiber and will curb those hunger pains. Just add them to salads, vegetables, and yogurt and smoothies.
Would you like to have foods that will send an indication to your brain that it should restrict your appetite? Perfect. Then just have olive oil, peanut butter (my favorite), and avocados. That should do the trick!
It’s all in the protein. Especially in the morning. Make sure you have yogurt (greek yogurt is even better), eggs, and lean meat. Another good way to start off your morning to ward off the hunger pains later!
Foods that are spicy turn on your senses. This makes you more aware of the amount of food that you are consuming and they can signal that time’s up and you’re full now. You may want to take a look at the Paleo diet.
2) Altering your Everyday Routine
Slow down when it’s meal time. There’s no rush and eating too fast doesn’t give your brain ample time to get the signal that it’s full. Savor the taste and experience of a meal. Think about what it is that you’re eating and chew slowly. This isn’t a race. The only prize at the end is not feeling hunger, losing weight, and controlling your diabetes.
Never be bored. Stay busy or you’ll find yourself thinking about food and its pleasuring tastes. Excessive free time can be a big factor in emotional eating. Plan your meals and stay active. Join a gym for exercise and stick with it. Go whenever you’re feeling those hunger cravings.
Go for a walk. Have activities that keep you moving and active. Hang out with friends and be active together. Go bike riding. I love going bike riding. If you would rather exercise indoors, then pick up a foldable exercise bike.
Get the eight hours of sleep. Being deprived of sleep is not a good thing. It will affect your next day because you will be eating more throughout the next day. This will result in eating way more calories than you normally would have. The result is also having foods with more calories even more desirable. This is what you need.
This next one I do a lot and it works. You can never go wrong with brushing your teeth at all. So if you brush your teeth instead of giving into a huge craving, then it will trick your mind into believing that you just had something to eat.
Your food will not taste good if you’ve just brushed your teeth and this in turn will put off your cravings for a while. In addition, I don’t want my mouth messed up from just cleaning them and that works as a good craving deterrent.
3) Eating Healthy also Means Drinking Healthy
WATER. How many times have you heard about drinking a LOT of water? It’s good for your body and your health but drinking a lot of water also fills you up and gives you that “full” feeling. Drink 8 oz. of water before your meal. Drink during and after you eat. This really helps with hunger pains.
Green tea is one of my favorites to drink. It helps you to prevent the storage of fat. But it also suppresses your appetite with something called Epigallocatechin gallate also known as EGCG. Green tea is good for you.
Drinking alcohol is not going to help you with cravings and besides it’s high in calories and not beneficial if you have diabetes. There is one drink that does help in controlling your appetite and that’s red wine. Now you’re smiling I bet! Red wine gives you the full feeling but don’t have more than two glasses a day.
I’m on the fence with caffeine. Caffeine may or may not help you in suppressing your appetite. Whether you have one cup of coffee or tea sans sugar or milk, could work for some folks but may not work for others. It’s something that you as an individual will have to try and see. That’s the way to know for sure.
Since vegetables are so good for you, you should be trying vegetable juices to put a damper on the hunger feelings. You can try juicing different vegetables such as kale, spinach, cucumbers, or carrots. These are good sources in suppressing your appetite while being good for you at the same time. This is not good idea with fruits because of the sugar they contain.
Diabetes and Appetite
What if you have diabetes and you are losing too much weight and whose appetite is dwindling? How can you treat this? Or maybe you’re gaining weight? It’s important to keep track of what you’re eating and when because you’ll need to speak with your doctor about it.
Your carbohydrate intake is important to note, just as your calorie intake is too. Your appetite can either be increasing or decreasing and either way diabetes can be the cause so you’ll want to consult with your physician about it.
It would also be a good idea to monitor your blood sugar frequently as well. This way there’s no guessing about your blood sugar numbers. But if you’re a diabetic, I’m sure you’re already doing that.
Other Tips to Controlling the Rumbling of your Stomach
- Eliminate processed and refined carbohydrates. Stick with complex carbs instead. This means no junk food such as sodas, sweets, cakes, cookies, and breads.
- Get rid of the belly fat. Belly fat definitely gives you the hungry feeling.
- Salt is a no no. Salt only causes weight gain through water and it only makes cravings even worse.
- Time out. If cravings arise, you should take some time out. Sometimes these can be “fake” cravings and your mind tries to trick you. Find something else to occupy your time for the next half an hour or so.
- Colors. This sounds kind of weird but when you think of how your mind interprets things, maybe it does make sense. At least from past studies it appears that way. If you’re eating on a plate that’s either yellow, red, or orange it seems to make you have a larger appetite. Yet blue? It seems to decrease your appetite so give it a try. Blue plates, blue napkins and silverware (I think that would be plastic)
- Vanilla the secret culprit. Yes the unbelievable aroma of vanilla scent fools you into believing that your cravings for sugar have already been satisfied.
- Have a small meal every two or three hours. This way you have a constant “flow” of energy, decreasing your appetite and cutting down on the cravings.
Final Thoughts about Appetite
Does Diabetes Cause Loss of Appetite? If you can just follow some tips here, it will help you in the war against diabetes and suppressing your appetite. Try and fill your time up with other activities and don’t have eating as an activity. Plan your meals and don’t always turn to the knife and fork for everything.
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds.
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight loss and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Excellent Accuracy: metene TD-4116 blood glucose meter and strips are produced with industry-leading chips and biosensor, equipped with industry-leading technologies, conducive to get accurate and reliable measurements
- No Coding: The blood sugar meter gets into measure status automatically once insert the blood sugar test strip to the bottom of the slot, easy to use and easy to read with large display for the senior
- Fast and Reduce Pain: This blood glucose monitor takes just 7s and 0.7µl blood to get the glucose value; The lancing device has 5 depth options to minimize wound and reduce pain
- Better Data Management: This glucometer stores the newest 450 blood glucose values and display the continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average; the measurements could be exported with windows-based software; help you track and manage your blood glucose better
- Diabetes Testing Kit 207 Piece Set: 100 glucometer strips, 100 30G lancets, 1 blood sugar meter, 1 lancing device, 1 control solution, 2 batteries, 1 protective wallet and 1 user manual; Please feel free to contact us if any problem when using this Diabetes testing kit
- Support cardiovascular health & blood sugar levels with the PurePremium blood sugar support dietary supplement, which contains essential vitamins, minerals and herbs.
- Support healthy glucose metabolism by adding our all-natural heart health supplement to your diet. Our advanced cardiovascular support capsules contain cinnamon, mulberry, vitamin c, vitamin e, magnesium, zinc, licorice root extract and manganese.
- Support blood cholesterol levels and make sure that your heart is healthy and strong. Support healthy insulin function and bolster your immune system against harmful free radicals.
- Our easy-to-swallow capsules support healthy glucose levels and your metabolism at the same time.
- Formulated in the USA. Every PurePremium product comes from an inspected, and GMP certified facility right here in the USA.
- INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS. Insufficient blood applied to test strip will result in wrong readings. Please hold the lancing device firmly against your fingertip for enough sample. Watch our instructional videos in our listings to optimize your testing results. Our friendly customer support will always be here to answer your questions and help to resolve your concerns. (30 Day Money Back Guarantee)
- EXCEEDS INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS. AUVON BGMs can function within ±10%, or ±10 mg/dl of laboratory values over 95% of the time, which is far beyond ISO 15197:2013 passing standard (within ±15% or ±15 mg/dl). The manufacturer is certified with CE mark, GMP, ISO 13485:2016, and ISO 15197:2013 without having any recall on the market in the past 14 years.
- CUTTING-EDGE TEST STRIPS. We use cutting-edge test strips enzymes for blood glucose measurements. Our test strips are produced with unique Automatic Carbon Printing Technique to ensure that the quality of each batch of strips could be relevantly much more stable, precise and accurate. Additionally, PROMISED 0.15USD/pcs would keep you no pressure to repurchase.
- KEEP TRACK OF DATA. Store your test results with time and date helps you track and manage your health while also keeping a continuous 7/14/30 average results. Automatic off means our device works longer without having to worry about wasting battery life.
- ALL IN ONE: 1 x AUVON DS-W Blood Glucose Monitor, 1 x battery, 50 x Blood Test Strips, 50 x 30 gauge Lancets, 1 x Lancing device, 1 x Meter User Guide, 1 x Test Strip User Guide, Our Exclusive Lifetime Warranty and Technical Support and Friendly Customer Service.
Last update on 2021-05-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API