How Does Diabetes Cause Diarrhea? Research reveals that neuropathy can be responsible for diarrhea from diabetes. Neuropathy is pain and numbness from damage to your nerves. This disrupts the proper functioning of your bowel system. The specific term is autonomic neuropathy and this can occur when the nerves that help to control your body wind up being damaged.
Diabetes and Diarrhea
Most folks have experienced diarrhea and it’s no fun but it is part of your body’s reactions and just part of life. Researchers suggest that neuropathy may be a factor between diabetes and diarrhea. The fact is that when you have diabetes your nerve fibers get damaged from the high blood glucose numbers.
Diarrhea is no picnic and it’s not the topic you really want to discuss but it’s a part of life that you have to deal with. It’s believed that neuropathy is a connection to diarrhea and diabetes. The common complication of diabetes is in fact neuropathy. But that does not mean that it’s a certainty to happen. Strict blood glucose control can aid in preventing neuropathy but you have to be diligent in checking your numbers daily too.
Symptoms and Causes of Diabetic Diarrhea
*Autonomic neuropathy– Long term complication of diabetes known as autonomic neuropathy when your nerves become damaged. Normally your nerves will transport information from your brain to your organs and tissues and in return send the signals back to your brain again to be sure that everything functions as it should be. When you are experiencing diabetic diarrhea it’s because your gastrointestinal tract has damaged nerves and this condition results in heading to the bathroom quite often.
Under normal circumstances most of the symptoms you experience happen at night time and the reason for this is that your nervous system is responsible for keeping your bowels stay calm when you’re asleep. Once your nerves become agitated, then it’s a different story.
*Medications such as Metformin- I can attest to this because too high a dosage of Metformin gave me diarrhea. But I still have to take it in a lower dosage along with another medication. This seems to be okay now but I think once you experience this you can’t help, but think that every time you get diarrhea that can it still be from the Metformin or not. It just could be that only some have this happen to.
*Celiac disease- This condition is when you have a sensitivity to gluten. You get a reaction with your immune system whenever you consume gluten in foods such as barley, rye, and wheat. I don’t have celiac disease thankfully, but I know from people who do that the small intestine is where the immune reaction occurs and proceeds to damage the lining of your intestine. This in turn leads to fatigue, anemia, weight loss, bloating, ad malabsorption of nutrients that are essential for your body.
*Pancreatic issues- Your pancreas is responsible for producing insulin and with type 1 diabetes it isn’t producing any insulin and type 2 diabetes it isn’t producing enough. It also release enzymes that aid in the digesting of your food. The hormones that it produce in your bloodstream help to control your blood glucose levels. When you aren’t getting enough of these enzymes, it can lead to weight loss, abdominal pain, and diarrhea.
*Malabsorption of bile acids- Bile acids are normally stored in your gallbladder. In your digestive system, you can experience a condition by irregular processing of bile acids which can be a result of symptoms of diarrhea. Your gall bladder releases bile acids to aid in breaking the fats down in the foods you consume. This helps your body to better absorb them. So this condition of of the malabsorption of bile by your intestines unsatisfactorily has the bile being flushed into your large colon and this is what produces the watery stools and diarrhea.
*Bacteria overload- This is a particular complication for those folks with diabetes who need the requirement of higher levels of insulin in order to properly control their symptoms of diabetes. Normally without being a diabetic, a person who is healthy does not have a larger than normal amount of bacteria in their small intestine with comparison to their large intestine.
But with a diabetic condition a person may have an excess of bacteria growing if their feces travels too slowly through the small bowel. The result from this is abdominal discomfort, that full feeling in your stomach, and watery diarrhea that can occur rather frequently.
So What Can Cause Diarrhea Other Than Diabetes?
- Certain diseases including Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome and celiac disease.
- Three illnesses including food poisoning, viral infection, and bacterial infection.
- Having lactose when you are lactose intolerant.
- Sugar alcohols in large quantities such as Sorbitil that is used in sugar free products.
Normally with diarrhea if it’s an illness then it won’t last long as you get rid of the virus or whatever is causing the diarrhea. With autonomic neuropathy, the nerves that are damaged affect every nerve that is responsible for controlling all your body’s automatic functions including sweating, your heart rate, and of course the functioning of your bowels.
There are a great deal of patients (approximately 75%) who go to various diabetes institutions for general symptoms regarding their gut. The fact is that diabetes is the cause in your body starting from your mouth all the way to your anus. This is why so many reports from folks with diabetes are experiencing diarrhea. Generally a visit to the doctor isn’t necessary for a bout with diarrhea. It’s only after it doesn’t seem to subside that you may want to visit your doctor.
The Best Tips to Prevent Diarrhea
*Drink clean water only- I am a fanatic about this. I only drink filtered but mostly bottle water. It’s a big chance you take when you drink contaminated or dirty water. When I was a kid we always drank tap water and I’m amazed that I didn’t get sick from it, or did I? Tap water may be disinfected with chemicals such as chlorine but it’s not the case in other countries. Contaminated water can not only give you diarrhea, but it can be responsible for a host of other diseases and viruses.
*Wash your hands- I am more fanatic about this. I wash my hands about a thousand times a day. I use hand sanitizer as well when I don’t have access to soap and water. Getting an infection from a parasitic, viral, or bacterial microorganism is just about the most common cause and reason for severe bouts of diarrhea.
If your hands are contaminated, then is the most common way to transmit infections into your body. I always tell my kids to never touch their hands to their face after touching things that are contaminated. So always wash them before your meals and after using the bathroom. It’s the best thing that you can do to prevent contamination and diarrhea.
*Avoid foods that provoke diarrhea- There are certain foods that can create issues in your stomach such as pain, cramps, and irritation that bring on diarrhea in folks with diabetes and sensitive digestive systems. These are mainly the foods to avoid when you’re a diabetic. Some of these foods you should avoid are fried fatty foods, high fructose foods, spicy sauces, and sweet baked goods. It’s also advisable to stay away from carbonated beverages, coffee, and caffeine.
*Food poisoning- This is something you obviously do not want to experience. It is horrible to say the least! Now you may not have total control of this if someone else is preparing your food but with preparing your own food you should make sure that your food is thoroughly cooked to avoid contamination and wind up with food poisoning.
I never eat meat that isn’t cooked because raw meat should be disinfected and cooked in pressure cookers, frying pans, and barbecue grills that have been thoroughly cleaned. Microwaves are not acceptable because they don’t get rid of the bacteria. So I would avoid them if possible.
*Fresh fruits and vegetables- Fresh produce should never be eaten before the preparation of washing it completely because of the possible bad things in the soil such as E.coli and other bacteria and parasites that could contaminate the food.Wash and soak thoroughly before consuming. It’s very important!
5 Most Beneficial Remedies for Diarrhea
1) Medications over the counter- There are many over the counter medications made for treating diarrhea. These are used for temporary conditions. For more chronic and severe cases, you’ll want to consult your physician. You can use any one of the following but not for more than two weeks: Imodium, Kaopectate, or Pepto-Bismol.
2) Probiotics- These good bacterias help to maintain your intestinal tract and produce an environment that is very healthy for your gut. These probiotics are microorganisms that are live and contained in foods such as: yogurt, dark chocolate, pickles, kefir, cottage cheese, and aged cheeses just to name a few. The good bacteria in your system aid in the protection against infection in your intestines.
3) Foods to avoid- I mentioned this before, but I just wanted to clarify that greasy and fried foods are just not what a diabetic person can tolerate very well at all. But in addition to that there are high fiber foods too that can increase bloating. I’m not saying to not eat your fruits and vegetables so if any of these vegetables don’t cause diarrhea problems for you then keep on consuming them. Some of these are: broccoli, milk, prunes, ice cream, alcohol, beans, sugar substitutes, cauliflower, peas, and coffee.
4) BRAT foods- I always remember my doctor talking to me about the BRAT foods when I had diarrhea. These are the foods that you should be consuming to alleviate your symptoms of diarrhea. It will help to prevent your health from getting any worse. They also help to “firm” your stool up. They include: Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast. A few other foods that your body can tolerate are: Baked chicken(no skin), baked or boiled potatoes without skin, oatmeal, and chicken soup.
5) Stay hydrated- This is vital to staying healthy when you have diarrhea. You can become dehydrated very quickly when you have diarrhea and it can even be fatal in older aged adults and in young children as well. Pedialyte is excellent for young children and infants with diarrhea.
For adults there are drinks for rehydrating that are over the counter and sports drinks that help with mild cases of diarrhea. You must avoid any sodas, caffeinated drinks, alcohol, or milk.
Folks, I cannot stress enough that everything you do when it comes to your health should be discussed with your doctor. It’s common sense. They know what’s best for you. don’t assume anything.
The information that I provide on my website is purely based on my own personal experience and subsequent research into the diabetes disease. It is not intended to take the place of medical advice, diagnosis and treatment. Care and investigation should always be sought from an appropriate health care provider. I am happy to discuss my own symptoms, diagnosis and history of my diabetes disease but want to stress that I am not medically trained in any way. All opinions on my website are my own. I have created this site as a way to share information and experiences.
How Does Diabetes Cause Diarrhea? Well, we now know the answer to that question. Diarrhea is usually not serious, but just knowing the symptoms and what can do when you have diabetes on top of it should make it a bit easier for you. I hope this has helped you!
Reverse Your Type 2 Diabetes
Click the Button Below Now!
If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them below. I would appreciate it! Please forward this article to others! Thank you for reading and have a happy and a healthy!
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds.
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight loss and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- REVOLUTIONARY BLEND AND HIGH DOSES: Daily Support is NOT just another multivitamin! Compare our doses to others - we include more natural ingredients needed for daily Diabetes support and blood sugar regulation. Each bottle contains a one month supply.
- POWERFUL 7 IN 1 BLEND: Daily Support is a specialized blend of 7 ultra-potent, completely natural, and pure ingredients for Type 2 Diabetes support. Each daily dose includes Cinnamon, Banaba, Chromium Picolinate, Milk Thistle, Magnesium Oxide, Vitamin B12, and Bilberry Fruit Powder.
- COMBAT INSULIN RESISTANCE: Diabetes Doctor's powerful blend of Cinnamon, Banaba, Magnesium, and Chromium helps promote healthy insulin function, higher energy levels, and support pancreas health.
- CORRECT NUTRITIONAL DEFICIENCIES: Magnesium and Vitamin B12 deficiencies are very common with Type 2 Diabetes. These deficiencies can aggravate insulin resistance and contribute to heart risk and nerve pain. Daily Support provides you with full doses of both essential vitamins and minerals.
- SUPPORT HEALTHY VITAL ORGANS: Daily Support contains Milk Thistle, which aids in promoting healthy heart, liver, kidney, and pancreas function - organs that can be affected by diabetes.
- Excellent Accuracy: metene TD-4116 blood glucose meter and strips are produced with industry-leading chips and biosensor, equipped with industry-leading technologies, conducive to get accurate and reliable measurements
- No Coding: The blood sugar meter gets into measure status automatically once insert the blood sugar test strip to the bottom of the slot, easy to use and easy to read with large display for the senior
- Fast and Reduce Pain: This blood glucose monitor takes just 7s and 0.7µl blood to get the glucose value; The lancing device has 5 depth options to minimize wound and reduce pain
- Better Data Management: This glucometer stores the newest 450 blood glucose values and display the continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average; the measurements could be exported with windows-based software; help you track and manage your blood glucose better
- Diabetes Testing Kit 107 Piece Set: 50 glucometer strips, 50 30G lancets, 1 blood sugar meter, 1 lancing device, 1 control solution, 2 batteries, 1 protective wallet and 1 user manual; Please feel free to contact us if any problem when using this Diabetes testing kit
- Support cardiovascular health & blood sugar levels with the PurePremium blood sugar support dietary supplement, which contains essential vitamins, minerals and herbs.
- Support healthy glucose metabolism by adding our all-natural heart health supplement to your diet. Our advanced cardiovascular support capsules contain cinnamon, mulberry, vitamin c, vitamin e, magnesium, zinc, licorice root extract and manganese.
- Support blood cholesterol levels and make sure that your heart is healthy and strong. Support healthy insulin function and bolster your immune system against harmful free radicals.
- Our easy-to-swallow capsules support healthy glucose levels and your metabolism at the same time.
- Formulated in the USA. Every PurePremium product comes from an inspected, and GMP certified facility right here in the USA.
Last update on 2021-02-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API