How Does Coffee Affect Diabetes?
So what is it about coffee? It is so popular and everyone drinks it. Well, almost everyone except me. I love the smell of coffee but maybe it’s because I only like things that are cold to drink. Or maybe I had one bad experience as a kid drinking coffee for the first time that had me not want to try it again. How Does Coffee Affect Diabetes? We will discover that in this article because diabetes is something you should know everything about and since coffee is the most popular drink, let’s find out what the benefits of coffee are even if you’re not a diabetic.
Benefits of coffee- if you don’t have diabetes
- Lowers risk of type 2 diabetes anywhere from 6% (decaf)-22% (more than 6 cups regular daily) depending on how much you drink and whether or not it is decaffeinated.
- Lowers the risk of developing gout.
- Cavities can be prevented by drinking black coffee because bacteria that can lead to the decay of the teeth is killed off by black coffee.
- Eye protection. The coffee bean contains strong antioxidants that can prevent damage of the retina.
- Liver cancer. Consuming between 1 and 3 cups a day can reduce your risk by approximately 30%
- Protects against gum disease
- Risk of dying from a heart attack reduced by drinking 2 or even more cups of coffee each day.
- Protects against melanoma. By having a few cups a day can reduce the risk of melanoma. Careful though with drinking with creams and sugars because that will negate the benefits.
- Can help prevent type 2 diabetes.
- Gallstones. I wish I drank coffee years ago. Maybe then I wouldn’t have had my gall bladder removed.
- Gout. This is something you do NOT want. I know people who have it and the pain is so unbearable. Please avoid this at all costs!
- It gives you the ability to think more clearly and lower the risk of depression as well.
- Decreases the risk of prostate cancer.
- Lowers the risk of cardiovascular disease and strokes.
Coffee- if you do have diabetes
While I’m not a coffee drinker I can sympathize with you if you love your coffee and can’t go without it everyday. It’s not an issue if you don’t have diabetes and want to prevent it. But with diabetics coffee can increase your blood sugars and you don’t want that to happen I’m sure. All this will do is make it more difficult to control your glucose levels and even more so if you are consuming a lot of carbohydrates, at least the simple ones anyway.
Insulin sensitivity is affected by coffee if you have diabetes. So if you decide to drink coffee and you’re a diabetic, then be careful and keep on top of your blood sugar levels. Buy a monitor and check it at home. Your blood sugar numbers are important because low blood sugar is not a good thing either. It’s extremely serious!
Caffeine in your coffee can have an affect on your brain. The blood flow to the brain can be impaired or decreased. It can be cut by approximately 25% and then your brain thinks that there isn’t enough sugar. You’ll be deceived into thinking that you require more food. Increased weight is not good for diabetes, or for anything else for that matter.
Ok this doesn’t necessarily mean you have to give up coffee. Be smart. Watch the caffeine and how much coffee you consume. My wife has diabetes and she drinks decaf all the time. It seems to work for her so maybe you can try decaf, but I wouldn’t overdo it. Two to three cups a day would probably be sufficient. Spread them out throughout the day. See what works for you. Everyone is different.
How coffee can prevent type 2 diabetes
Be careful about drinking coffee because everything should always be taken in moderation because as the saying goes, “too much of anything is no good for you.” Coffee contains antioxidants that are good for you and aid in controlling your insulin and glucose levels. This will help prevent the beginning of type 2 diabetes. In order to reduce your risk of developing this disease you can have about three to four cups a day. Don’t go overboard. Easy does it!
Coffee is responsible for aiding your cells in your body by how they respond to insulin. Because of the antioxidants they prevent stresses to your cells and therefore helping prevent diabetes. It’s just basically knowing when and if you should be drinking it and how much that will help you for prevention.
Coffee affects many people in many different ways. I’m sure you know if you have any side effects or not and how much you drink can be attributed to those side effects. Here are just a few:
- Irritability. Do you find yourself irritable from drinking coffee or too much? Know your limit.
- Rapid heartbeat. This can be scary because you don’t know what it’s coming from.
- Insomnia. I hate insomnia and I don’t drink coffee (but again my wife does so I know). You don’t want to be up all night tossing and turning.
- Restlessness. I’ve experienced the restlessness and it can be extremely uncomfortable.
- Upset stomach. I always hated the upset stomach feeling. It is one of the worst feelings to go through.
I don’t drink coffee but I know too much caffeine isn’t good for you. I used to drink and eat things I didn’t even know had caffeine in them. Oh was I flying high! I don’t care for caffeine anyway. If I was to drink coffee it would be decaf for sure. That’s all my wife drinks because she can’t do the caffeine either. Caffeine can raise your blood sugar levels. It can make you hyperactive and keep you awake. Drinking coffee can help your diabetes risk but it’s not the caffeine in it that helps.
Caffeine just makes it difficult too for people who do have diabetes to control their glucose. Decaf coffee is much more beneficial for you to keeping your blood sugars under control. So stick with decaf. You are much better off. I just believe that most of us don’t realize what is in the foods we eat and the drinks we consume.
Maybe if we did we would change our habits. Well that’s why I am here to help you learn about what coffee and caffeine do to or for you. My conclusion is that caffeine is something to stay away from or at the very least control the amount you consume.
Additional benefits and facts about coffee drinkers
- Because coffee has many antioxidants coffee drinkers can live a healthier and longer life. It aids in preventing type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and Parkinson’s disease as I mentioned before. You are also less likely to engage in the bad habits of smoking and drinking alcohol.
- Coffee helps protect against cirrhosis of the liver. Don’t drink more than 3 or so cups a day. Remember too much of anything is not good.
- The body does not really need coffee when you first get up in the morning. Although I’m sure you’re thinking to yourself right now, yeah right! The heck I don’t! LOL It’s cortisol that your body produces that simulates the effects of caffeine.
- Nutrients, not chemicals or sugar. Some of the daily required vitamins such as Vitamin B5, manganese, potassium, and Vitamin B2, you are getting in drinking coffee. Even though the amounts are not huge, you’re still getting some.
- The resulting effects of caffeine can result rather fast.
- You can have a better workout at the gym after absorbing caffeine because it releases the adrenaline and give you a better result when you’re done.
- Coffee will aid you in the fat burning process. It speeds up your metabolism between 2% and 12%.
The bottom line
So, How Does Coffee Affect Diabetes? That’s what I wanted to reveal to you. I’m hoping that you enjoyed this article about coffee, caffeine, and diabetes because it is important and I really wanted to share it with you. There are many ways to help to lower your blood sugar and I highly suggest trying this because it works best! If you have any questions about coffee and it’s benefits, please leave a comment below. I would appreciate it and would enjoy interacting with you. Thank you!
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Rothchild, Sascha (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 336 Pages - 04/19/2022 (Publication Date) - G.P. Putnam's Sons (Publisher)
- ✅ QUICK AND EASY TO USE: Care Touch blood sugar test kit delivers results in only 5 seconds with just a 0.5µL blood sample. There is no programming needed since our blood sugar monitor kit automatically recognizes batch codes encrypted on Care Touch glucose test strips. Our state-of-the-art glucometer kit with strips and lancets includes single-touch strip ejection, so you can hygienically remove used diabetic test strips.
- ✅ EASY DIABETIC MONITORING: The blood sugar monitor kit with strips is capable of saving up to 300 readings. The blood glucose test kit also provides a continuous 14-day average of your readings, making glucose monitoring easy for you and your healthcare provider.
- ✅ PORTABLE AND HASSLE-FREE: The diabetic testing kit comes with a handy glucometer case, which means you can check your blood sugar level at home or anywhere else while staying organized. The 10-depth lancing device and lancets will help make blood sugar testing almost painless and hassle-free.
- ✅ COMPLETE DIABETIC SET: The glucose meter kit with strips and lancets includes: (1) Care Touch Blood Sugar Meter, (100) Blood Glucose Test Strips for diabetes, (1) Lancing Device, (100) Lancets for diabetes testing, (1) 3 Volt Lithium Battery, (1) Glucose meter case for your blood sugar tester and diabetic supplies
- ✅ WE CARE BECAUSE YOU CARE: You care about your health, and we care about you. Care Touch is committed to providing the best quality blood glucose monitoring systems. Our care doesn’t end when your sugar tester diabetes kit arrives at your door. We’re fully dedicated to your satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns about your glucose monitor kit with strips and lancets - contact us at any time.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- PUREHEALTH RESEARCH - Blood Sugar Formula 3 Bottles
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- A DOCTOR-APPROVED NATURAL FORMULA. Seventeen potent ingredients, each scientifically proven to have a significant effect at helping balance your glucose levels, improve glucose sensitivity, protect delicate cells from free radicals, and energy
- HIGH POTENCY. PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help you support healthy blood glucose levels
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: supports healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency support for 365 days a year; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health; daily support for healthy blood glucose levels, 365 days a year
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
Last update on 2022-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API