How Does Coffee Affect Diabetes?
So what is it about coffee? It is so popular and everyone drinks it. Well, almost everyone except me. I love the smell of coffee but maybe it’s because I only like things that are cold to drink. Or maybe I had one bad experience as a kid drinking coffee for the first time that had me not want to try it again. How Does Coffee Affect Diabetes? We will discover that in this article because diabetes is something you should know everything about and since coffee is the most popular drink, let’s find out what the benefits of coffee are even if you’re not a diabetic.
Benefits of coffee- if you don’t have diabetes
- Lowers risk of type 2 diabetes anywhere from 6% (decaf)-22% (more than 6 cups regular daily) depending on how much you drink and whether or not it is decaffeinated.
- Lowers the risk of developing gout.
- Cavities can be prevented by drinking black coffee because bacteria that can lead to the decay of the teeth is killed off by black coffee.
- Eye protection. The coffee bean contains strong antioxidants that can prevent damage of the retina.
- Liver cancer. Consuming between 1 and 3 cups a day can reduce your risk by approximately 30%
- Protects against gum disease
- Risk of dying from a heart attack reduced by drinking 2 or even more cups of coffee each day.
- Protects against melanoma. By having a few cups a day can reduce the risk of melanoma. Careful though with drinking with creams and sugars because that will negate the benefits.
- Can help prevent type 2 diabetes.
- Gallstones. I wish I drank coffee years ago. Maybe then I wouldn’t have had my gall bladder removed.
- Gout. This is something you do NOT want. I know people who have it and the pain is so unbearable. Please avoid this at all costs!
- It gives you the ability to think more clearly and lower the risk of depression as well.
- Decreases the risk of prostate cancer.
- Lowers the risk of cardiovascular disease and strokes.
Coffee- if you do have diabetes
While I’m not a coffee drinker I can sympathize with you if you love your coffee and can’t go without it everyday. It’s not an issue if you don’t have diabetes and want to prevent it. But with diabetics coffee can increase your blood sugars and you don’t want that to happen I’m sure. All this will do is make it more difficult to control your glucose levels and even more so if you are consuming a lot of carbohydrates, at least the simple ones anyway.
Insulin sensitivity is affected by coffee if you have diabetes. So if you decide to drink coffee and you’re a diabetic, then be careful and keep on top of your blood sugar levels. Buy a monitor and check it at home. Your blood sugar numbers are important because low blood sugar is not a good thing either. It’s extremely serious!
Caffeine in your coffee can have an affect on your brain. The blood flow to the brain can be impaired or decreased. It can be cut by approximately 25% and then your brain thinks that there isn’t enough sugar. You’ll be deceived into thinking that you require more food. Increased weight is not good for diabetes, or for anything else for that matter.
Ok this doesn’t necessarily mean you have to give up coffee. Be smart. Watch the caffeine and how much coffee you consume. My wife has diabetes and she drinks decaf all the time. It seems to work for her so maybe you can try decaf, but I wouldn’t overdo it. Two to three cups a day would probably be sufficient. Spread them out throughout the day. See what works for you. Everyone is different.
How coffee can prevent type 2 diabetes
Be careful about drinking coffee because everything should always be taken in moderation because as the saying goes, “too much of anything is no good for you.” Coffee contains antioxidants that are good for you and aid in controlling your insulin and glucose levels. This will help prevent the beginning of type 2 diabetes. In order to reduce your risk of developing this disease you can have about three to four cups a day. Don’t go overboard. Easy does it!
Coffee is responsible for aiding your cells in your body by how they respond to insulin. Because of the antioxidants they prevent stresses to your cells and therefore helping prevent diabetes. It’s just basically knowing when and if you should be drinking it and how much that will help you for prevention.
Coffee affects many people in many different ways. I’m sure you know if you have any side effects or not and how much you drink can be attributed to those side effects. Here are just a few:
- Irritability. Do you find yourself irritable from drinking coffee or too much? Know your limit.
- Rapid heartbeat. This can be scary because you don’t know what it’s coming from.
- Insomnia. I hate insomnia and I don’t drink coffee (but again my wife does so I know). You don’t want to be up all night tossing and turning.
- Restlessness. I’ve experienced the restlessness and it can be extremely uncomfortable.
- Upset stomach. I always hated the upset stomach feeling. It is one of the worst feelings to go through.
I don’t drink coffee but I know too much caffeine isn’t good for you. I used to drink and eat things I didn’t even know had caffeine in them. Oh was I flying high! I don’t care for caffeine anyway. If I was to drink coffee it would be decaf for sure. That’s all my wife drinks because she can’t do the caffeine either. Caffeine can raise your blood sugar levels. It can make you hyperactive and keep you awake. Drinking coffee can help your diabetes risk but it’s not the caffeine in it that helps.
Caffeine just makes it difficult too for people who do have diabetes to control their glucose. Decaf coffee is much more beneficial for you to keeping your blood sugars under control. So stick with decaf. You are much better off. I just believe that most of us don’t realize what is in the foods we eat and the drinks we consume.
Maybe if we did we would change our habits. Well that’s why I am here to help you learn about what coffee and caffeine do to or for you. My conclusion is that caffeine is something to stay away from or at the very least control the amount you consume.
Additional benefits and facts about coffee drinkers
- Because coffee has many antioxidants coffee drinkers can live a healthier and longer life. It aids in preventing type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and Parkinson’s disease as I mentioned before. You are also less likely to engage in the bad habits of smoking and drinking alcohol.
- Coffee helps protect against cirrhosis of the liver. Don’t drink more than 3 or so cups a day. Remember too much of anything is not good.
- The body does not really need coffee when you first get up in the morning. Although I’m sure you’re thinking to yourself right now, yeah right! The heck I don’t! LOL It’s cortisol that your body produces that simulates the effects of caffeine.
- Nutrients, not chemicals or sugar. Some of the daily required vitamins such as Vitamin B5, manganese, potassium, and Vitamin B2, you are getting in drinking coffee. Even though the amounts are not huge, you’re still getting some.
- The resulting effects of caffeine can result rather fast.
- You can have a better workout at the gym after absorbing caffeine because it releases the adrenaline and give you a better result when you’re done.
- Coffee will aid you in the fat burning process. It speeds up your metabolism between 2% and 12%.
The bottom line
So, How Does Coffee Affect Diabetes? That’s what I wanted to reveal to you. I’m hoping that you enjoyed this article about coffee, caffeine, and diabetes because it is important and I really wanted to share it with you. There are many ways to help to lower your blood sugar and I highly suggest trying this because it works best! If you have any questions about coffee and it’s benefits, please leave a comment below. I would appreciate it and would enjoy interacting with you. Thank you!
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds.
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight loss and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Excellent Accuracy: metene TD-4116 blood glucose meter and strips are produced with industry-leading chips and biosensor, equipped with industry-leading technologies, conducive to get accurate and reliable measurements
- No Coding: The blood sugar meter gets into measure status automatically once insert the blood sugar test strip to the bottom of the slot, easy to use and easy to read with large display for the senior
- Fast and Reduce Pain: This blood glucose monitor takes just 7s and 0.7µl blood to get the glucose value; The lancing device has 5 depth options to minimize wound and reduce pain
- Better Data Management: This glucometer stores the newest 450 blood glucose values and display the continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average; the measurements could be exported with windows-based software; help you track and manage your blood glucose better
- Diabetes Testing Kit 207 Piece Set: 100 glucometer strips, 100 30G lancets, 1 blood sugar meter, 1 lancing device, 1 control solution, 2 batteries, 1 protective wallet and 1 user manual; Please feel free to contact us if any problem when using this Diabetes testing kit
- ✔️ DARIO BLOOD GLUCOSE - Blood sugar monitor system starter kit for iPhone connector includes a glucometer, 25 test strips, 10 sterile lancets and 10 disposable covers. So you can start testing quickly.
- ⚠️⚠️ ⚠️ PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR PHONE IS COMPATIBLE before purchasing: Supported iOS phones: 5s, SE, 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, X, Xs, Xs Max, XR, 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, SE 2020, 12, 12 Mini, 12 Pro Max. iOS Operating System: 12, 13, 14 Application version – 4.9.0 Please do not buy open box, product is a medical device and must be in new closed packaging from Dario.
- ✔️ NO BATTERIES NEEDED - Blood Sugar Testing - With a tiny drop of blood and a thin 30 ga lancet is all it takes to measure on your phone within 6 seconds.
- ✔️ The Dario App (Available USA only) - You are able to monitor and track your progress and share it with your doctor using your smartphone.
- ✔️ NO CODING Needed for the blood sugar meter - Simply plug the tiny meter to your phone and download the Dario app. Unlimited Historical Data - Email your doctor trend reports - Emergency text with GPS.
- Daily Complex: Nature’s Nutrition Blood Sugar Support contains 20 powerful ingredients like cinnamon bark, chromium, bitter melon, banaba leaf and more
- Cinnamon Bark: Cinnamon is a powerhouse of antioxidants that support blood sugar in the body
- Chromium: Chromium is an essential trace element because very small amounts of chromium are need to give natural support
- Alpha Lipoic Acid: Alpha Lipoic Acid is an Essential Antioxidant. Because Many Foods Contain Small Amounts of Ala, Taking a Supplement Can Support Overall Wellbeing
- Related: Blood Sugar Support advanced alpha lipoic acid balance banaba leaf berberine bitter melon capsules cayenne pepper chromium cinnamon bark powder d day extract fast for glucose health help herbal herbs high juniper berry leaf low magnesium manganese men mg natural naturally natures nature's nutrition of quickly suger suport supplement supplements supply taurine ultra vitamin vitamins weight with without women yarrow flowers zinc
Last update on 2021-05-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API