Calories and Diabetes are truly connected. Too many calories means added weight and this affects your diabetes. A calorie is simply a measure of energy in food. So do you know how many calories to eat to lose weight? Basically, One pound of fat is about 3,500 calories.
A safe weight loss for you would be 1-2 pounds per week. You have to reduce your caloric intake by 500 calories a day in order to lose 1 pound a week. Less calories means losing weight and lowering your blood sugar.
Why is Less Calories Good for Diabetics?
These figures also depend on your weight, activity levels, age, height, and others. In a nutshell, in order to lose weight more calories must leave your body than what you take in. So you want to know what your caloric intake is every day.
And you want to watch what you eat because eating more simple carbohydrates and not enough protein will give you hunger pains and the urge to eat more and that’s not what you want to lose weight.
More Protein | Less Carbs
The benefits of eating more protein are cutting your cravings, reducing your appetite substantially and in turn you’re burning more calories which results in weight loss. Out of all the nutrients protein is number one when it comes to losing weight.
One of the worst things to deal with when trying to lose weight is the cravings. It can drive you up a wall! I was eating all the bad carbs that kept me craving for more sugar. Little did I know that it was so bad to eat that way.
Protein fills you up more and you have less cravings and hunger pains than if you eat simple carbohydrates. You will actually eat 30 % less calories and consume 400-500 calories less each day. That’s a great start to eating healthy and weight loss at the same time.
This change will not have you thinking about food as much and it cuts down on the snacks at night. You shouldn’t be eating anything two hours before bedtime anyway.
Goodbye to any Drinks with Sugar
First of all, you don’t want excess sugar to begin with because it leads to diabetes, not to mention that it’s not good for your body anyway. I remember reading that a 12 oz. can of soda contains TEN teaspoons of sugar! Are you kidding me? Folks, let’s think about what we’re doing before we do it from now on,ok? Fruit juices are loaded with sugar. This leads to diabetes!
Read the labels on everything before you buy them. Yogurt is good for you but some yogurts have too much sugar in them for me. Buy lite yogurt or greek yogurt. Just read the labels. Orange juice, chocolate milk, and sodas have too much sugar.
So the sugar intake is bad. What about the calories? If you’re going to lose weight and get healthy you have to read every label for the calories as well. If you’re going to stay on a 2000 calorie a day diet, you might as well get the calories from the healthy foods and not the refined sugary junk foods. I opt for diet fruit juice drinks that have no sugar with less calories.
We all know that we should be drinking plenty of water. You can’t tell me that you didn’t know this. Your body needs eight 8 oz glasses of water a day. But if you drink two-8 oz glasses of water 20 – 30 minutes before meals, you could lose over 40% more weight over a three month period.
It will curb your hunger and therefore you will eat less calories. Caffeine drinks can also help with losing weight by boosting your metabolism but too much caffeine is not good so be careful.
Water is one of if not the the most important elements in the your body. Every cell in your body needs water to function properly. Our bodies are made up of approximately 60% water. Water affects every part of your body and the last thing you want to be is dehydrated for so many reasons.
Have an urge for a snack? Drink 8 oz of water instead. You’ll get used to it and it will help you immensely in losing weight and watching your calories.
Reducing your Calories
This is not just about counting calories and losing weight, right? Of course not. This is a temporary solution to a permanent problem. You’ll be eating a specific amount of calories to lose weight but not the same to maintain the weight.
So how many calories do you need to eat to lose weight? For women it’s approximately 2000 a day to maintain and 1500 to lose one pound each week. Men, it’s about 2,500 a day to stay the same and 2000 a week to lose the pound.
This is based on your general current weight, height, and the amount of your activity. So ladies, if you eat 2,500 calories and guys if you each 3,000 calories a day you will gain the weight back so once you meet your goal make it a habit of sticking to the numbers you need to stay at without gaining the weight back. This is a permanent lifestyle change.
Permanent Diet Changes
If we sit down and write down our goals it’s much easier. Write down your goal weight, how many calories you will consume each day of the week and keep track. Know exactly what you will be drinking. I know water may be boring and let me tell you I never used to drink much water at all either.
The only way I can drink it is if it’s ice cold. But I now drink more water than anything else. Diet fruit juice with no sugar and low calories is my second choice. Drinks: read the labels!
I will mention that your diet should include carbohydrates but only complex carbohydrates not simple carbs. I think we all know how good our fruits and veggies are for us. It took me a long time to like and eat more than two or three vegetables because I hated them a kid.
Vegetables that you want to eat are leafy greens such as broccoli, spinach, green beans, lettuce, kale, to name a few. Protein is the king here and by eating fish, turkey and chicken, and lean red meats you will get the required protein that you need.
Resize your Portions
Have you ever gone to a restaurant and the dinner comes and the plate size is HUGE? Ok, I’m guilty of always finishing what’s on my plate. Mom used to tell us to belong to the “clean plate club!” Ok, no excuses for blaming mom. It’s our decision not to finish it. It’s actually very simple.
Have them bring a smaller portion, share it with whoever you’re with, or only eat half and wrap the rest. And remember this: eat when you’re hungry and stop when you’re full.
Slow down. What’s the rush? My mom was the slowest eater I ever saw and she didn’t have a weight problem. It takes your brain a shorter time to realize you’re full if you chew and swallow much slower. Again, having 8 oz. of water before meals is a big help in giving you that full feeling. This way there’s less of a chance that you will overeat and pack on extra calories.
Exercise, what’s that?
Ok, if that means you don’t know what it is because you don’t do any, then you better start now. LOL I don’t really have to get into too many details about exercise and how much you do and to what degree it helps you. But I will say this: ANY exercise helps. The more you do and the greater the intensity, the more success you will accomplish. Your body will benefit from exercise.
I believe the only way to do exercise is to do something that you like and doesn’t feel like exercise. I go the the gym. Treadmill and a few machines is about what I do. I’m not into bodybuilding and you don’t have to be either. It’s all about getting off your butt and burning those calories. You can eat a little more if you’re burning off a little more. But stick to the goal.
I like bike riding. It was always fun from the time I started riding as a kid. Burning calories while doing something I enjoy works for me. Walking is the best and easiest exercising to do. Listen, it’s all about getting off our butts and moving. The more you move and the more intense, the better it is for you in losing weight and staying healthy.
Nothing Tastes Better than how Skinny Feels
This is so true. Diets can help you lose weight. But a permanent “diet” lifestyle change is what really works. Have you ever lost weight and looked in the mirror or had to buy smaller clothes or had people compliment you? These are awesome feelings.
But you know what’s even better than that? You learning a new healthy eating and exercising lifestyle so that you never have to “diet” again.
I’ve been there with the losing weight and gaining it back. You go from a high feeling to the lowest feeling. I’m sure that some of you have to. I look at this way. It’s mind over matter. If you don’t mind then it doesn’t matter. Don’t be this way anymore. Mind because it DOES matter.
Don’t let calories be the enemy. They can make you or break you. Which do you want? They’ve been winning. Now it’s your turn. You can find the best calorie apps here.
Calories and Diabetes are two things that should be looked at because one affects the other. It is important for helping keep your weight down and also your blood sugar as well. Calories are the key in losing weight and losing weight also helps your blood sugar. Calories and diabetes are important because the less calories you consume, the better it is for your diabetes.
I hope that you’ve gained some knowledge in changing your eating lifestyle and how to eat the right number of calories for you to lose and maintain your weight.
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Rothchild, Sascha (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 336 Pages - 04/19/2022 (Publication Date) - G.P. Putnam's Sons (Publisher)
- ✅ QUICK AND EASY TO USE: Care Touch blood sugar test kit delivers results in only 5 seconds with just a 0.5µL blood sample. There is no programming needed since our blood sugar monitor kit automatically recognizes batch codes encrypted on Care Touch glucose test strips. Our state-of-the-art glucometer kit with strips and lancets includes single-touch strip ejection, so you can hygienically remove used diabetic test strips.
- ✅ EASY DIABETIC MONITORING: The blood sugar monitor kit with strips is capable of saving up to 300 readings. The blood glucose test kit also provides a continuous 14-day average of your readings, making glucose monitoring easy for you and your healthcare provider.
- ✅ PORTABLE AND HASSLE-FREE: The diabetic testing kit comes with a handy glucometer case, which means you can check your blood sugar level at home or anywhere else while staying organized. The 10-depth lancing device and lancets will help make blood sugar testing almost painless and hassle-free.
- ✅ COMPLETE DIABETIC SET: The glucose meter kit with strips and lancets includes: (1) Care Touch Blood Sugar Meter, (100) Blood Glucose Test Strips for diabetes, (1) Lancing Device, (100) Lancets for diabetes testing, (1) 3 Volt Lithium Battery, (1) Glucose meter case for your blood sugar tester and diabetic supplies
- ✅ WE CARE BECAUSE YOU CARE: You care about your health, and we care about you. Care Touch is committed to providing the best quality blood glucose monitoring systems. Our care doesn’t end when your sugar tester diabetes kit arrives at your door. We’re fully dedicated to your satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns about your glucose monitor kit with strips and lancets - contact us at any time.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- PUREHEALTH RESEARCH - Blood Sugar Formula 3 Bottles
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- A DOCTOR-APPROVED NATURAL FORMULA. Seventeen potent ingredients, each scientifically proven to have a significant effect at helping balance your glucose levels, improve glucose sensitivity, protect delicate cells from free radicals, and energy
- HIGH POTENCY. PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help you support healthy blood glucose levels
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: supports healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency support for 365 days a year; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health; daily support for healthy blood glucose levels, 365 days a year
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
Last update on 2022-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
8 thoughts on “Calories and Diabetes | Less Calories & Lower Blood Sugar”
What a nice way you have outlined for losing without all the hype! What I actually see in this is that a disciplined lifestyle is all we need to fight this fierce battle of keeping healthy. I like the part where you talk of the clean plate club. Made me remember our mum’s motto was “clear your plate for that way you show that you appreciate God your Provider”. And, you can be sure, we could really endeavor to do exactly that!
During those days there was almost no processed foods in our plates, and no sugar was added to our beverages. Veggies and fruits in all seasons were in abundance. Soda was largely prohibited. We grew up so healthy. But today’s dietary habits? Alas! I think it’s indeed time we got more disciplined diet wise. Thanks again for your post and the reminder, Rob.
Thank you. But isn’t it true about mom and the clean plate club? It really reverts back to then and it should be eat when you’re hungry and stop when you’re full. Things were different back then. Now it’s all about being aware of what we put into our bodies and out attitudes toward food. Eating healthy and staying on track is the key.
Hello. You do make a lot of sense. Sugar feeds the craving. Vicious circle. How long does it take for the cravings to subside when you go without the sugar ? That usually kills me after a couple of months. Do you have a planner or software you use to keep track of calories? That is what I find most tedious of dieting, but if I don’t do that then I find myself slipping.
Yes sugar addiction is hard once you’re hooked. Once you start eating healthy and eating complex carbs instead of simple carbs, you will get used to it. It can take a different amount of time for each person to adapt to eating healthy and cutting the sugar. There are many apps available to use for counting calories. That’s what I use. Stick with it. Here’s another way to detox from sugar: here
I like your simple and understandable way to explain the topic. Actually, almost all of what you said is more or less known truth. When it comes to me personally then definitely I need to get rid of belly fat to be able to wear my good old Levi’s jeans. Am I ready to give up coca-cola instead of jeans? I’m not sure because at least now I feel great. It is so difficult to follow your advice.
Everyone has choices and makes them as they see fit. Counting calories and giving up foods that you enjoy is difficult. For me, the belly fat has to go. No matter what I have to do. That’s why counting calories is important. You’re choosing coca-cola. I’m choosing the better fitting clothes. I guess we’re both happy then! 🙂
Yes, yes, yes! As someone that grew up drinking soda all day everyday… I can’t tell you how amazing I feel to be free of it. It is a drug! The more you drink the more you “need”… the detox isn’t fun, but amazing what that one little tweak could do for me. It really does need to be a lifestyle change, not a diet. Couldn’t agree more with eat when you’re hungry and stop when you’re full.
I used to drink so much soda too until I found out that there are TEN teaspoons of sugar in every can of soda. WOW! That was it for me. With calories it’s just taking in many less than you burn and everyone is different. I’ve come to the conclusion that you eat when you’re hungry and stop when you’re full. Let’s not forget exercise!