Energy Drinks for Diabetics can help with increasing your energy. Energy drinks have been around since the early twentieth century, with the aim of rising health and vitality. To boost energy, most energy drinks on the market today contain caffeine or a caffeine derivative, taurine, and a combination of B vitamins. According to a University of Florida research, neither taurine nor B vitamins provide energy to the body. The caffeine and sugar in these energy drinks are the true energy boosters.
According to the website Market Research World, one out of every five dollars spent on soft drinks is spent on an energy drink. These drinks are very appealing to the overworked and overtired crowd for a fast boost in energy levels.
Energy drinks, energy shots, and energy drink blends are all part of the energy drinks industry. Energy drinks are beverages that give the user an extra boost of energy. They normally contain a lot of caffeine and other ingredients like taurine, guarana, and B vitamins.
Energy shots are an intense type of energy drink with a higher level of caffeine as the main ingredient. The third subcategory, energy drink blends, are powders that can be combined with water or juice.
You will wonder if these drinks are healthy for you if you have high blood sugar. Although there is no specific diabetic energy drink, most energy drink brands offer a sugar-free alternative, which may or may not be the best option.
Energy Drinks for Diabetic People
If you have diabetes, your first thoughts may be to fully avoid sugar or to quit consuming energy drinks, as sugar and caffeine are the most popular ingredients in many of them. You must always be careful with how much you drink.
Drinking an energy drink on a regular basis will easily increase your blood sugar levels, giving you a sugar rush. Your high blood sugar levels will rapidly decrease, resulting in low blood sugar and an increase in appetite. This cycle can result in binge eating and weight gain.
If your doctor advises you should drink energy drinks, go for the sugar-free ones to keep your added sugar consumption down to avoid weight gain. The majority of energy drink manufacturers sell a sugar-free version of their products. Each serving of these beverages has 3 to 10 Calories and 0 – 3g of carbohydrates.
To keep the beverages low in calories and carbohydrates, sugar substitutes including sucralose (also known as Splenda) and Acesulfame K are used to sweeten them. Caffeine and vitamins that are said to improve energy are also present in these beverages.
Caffeine Consumption by Diabetics
Caffeine affects everybody differently, so you may or may not be able to ingest caffeine depending on your diabetic condition. Diabetics should monitor their blood sugar levels if they drink caffeine.
A maximum daily caffeine intake of 400mg is recommended for healthy adults. That’s FDA advice straight from the source. If you have diabetes, however, start with low doses of caffeine and control your reaction as you raise the dose.
Caffeine in coffee has been shown in research to minimize the risk of type 2 diabetes. On the other hand, it has also been shown to raise blood sugar levels in several studies. Your blood sugar levels respond to caffeine in various ways depending on your body mass, age, drugs, and health condition.
Sugar Consumption by Diabetics
Yes, diabetics can consume sugar as long as they keep track of their sugar intake. Standard, healthy men should consume no more than 50 g of sugar per day, while women should consume no more than 25 g. Diabetics, of course, would have their own, more stringent restrictions.
When you’re keeping an eye on your sugar intake from drinks, don’t forget that “natural” foods like rice, bread, and biscuits also contain sugar in varying quantities.
Sugar-free Products Consumption
Sugar-free beverages do not raise blood sugar levels if the term “sugar-free” refers to the absence of sugar or artificial sweeteners in drinks.
Interestingly, “sugar-free” does not always imply “carbohydrate-free” or “calorie-free,” especially if artificial sweeteners are used. As a result, sugar-free foods and drinks aren’t always good for diabetics.
Some sweeteners contain carbohydrates or calories, which can cause a blood sugar spike.
Which Energy Drinks can you Drink?
To put it succinctly, diabetics can ingest caffeine and sugar in controlled amounts, allowing them to consume a variety of energy drinks. Go for energy drinks that are sugar-free, low in calories, and have a small level of caffeine.
Personally, I believe you can restrict your energy drink consumption to just one serving every other day. It’s also a good idea to check with your doctor to see if drinking energy drinks is safe for you.
Can Diabetics Drink Red Bull?
Yes, of course, a diabetic can drink Red Bull, but only the sugar-free or Total Zero varieties, not the original edition. Red Bull contains a whopping 27 g of sugar and 110 calories in its original form.
Finally, select an energy drink that contains no sugar, is low in calories, and contains a moderate amount of caffeine.
Personal Best Energy Drinks for Diabetics
I’ve compiled a list of some of the best energy drinks for you to try, but if you’re diabetic, use caution and read the ingredients list carefully before adding any of these to your diet.
1- XS Energy Drink
- Sugar – zero
- Caffeine – 80mg
- Calories – 10 per serving
- Price – Around $3-4 for an 8.4 fl. Oz can
2- Xyience Energy Drink
- Sugar – zero
- Caffeine – 176mg (high)
- Calories – zero
- Price – $4.25 for a can of 16 fl. Oz
Powder Options for Energy Drinks
Powdered energy drinks are also a reasonable choice to consider. They are not only typically less expensive than most ready-to-drink energy drinks, but they are also much more convenient to take with you everywhere you go and more flexible in terms of what you can mix them with.
1- Advocare Spark Energy Drink
- Sugar – zero
- Caffeine – 120mg (a bit higher)
- Calories – 15 per serving
- Price – Each serving costs around $2.50 with shipping.
2- REIZE Energy Drink
- Sugar – zero
- Caffeine – 50mg
- Calories – 11 per serving
- Price – Around $1
In Conclusion – Risks in Consumption of Energy Drinks
Energy Drinks for Diabetics shouldn’t always be your first choice when it comes to a beverage. Energy drinks may not be the wisest choice for raising energy because they increase blood pressure and heart rate. You already have a higher risk of heart failure if you have high blood sugar, and you don’t need to add an energy drink to the risk.
Furthermore, these beverages can contribute to insomnia, restlessness, dehydration, and dizziness. You must be aware of your diabetes condition and any diet restrictions enforced by your doctor. So, before making any dietary changes, please seek advice from a health professional.
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Rothchild, Sascha (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 336 Pages - 04/19/2022 (Publication Date) - G.P. Putnam's Sons (Publisher)
- Blood Sugar Formula support cardiovascular health & blood sugar levels with PureHealth Research Blood Sugar dietary supplement, which contains 17 botanicals and nutrients
- HIGH POTENCY: PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help maintain healthy blood glucose levels
- CEYLON CINNAMON and BERBERINE HCL 97% naturally lowers blood glucose levels, improves blood cholesterol levels, and promotes healthy cholesterol levels*
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: helps to maintain healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- PUREHEALTH RESEARCH - Blood Sugar Formula 3 Bottles
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- A DOCTOR-APPROVED NATURAL FORMULA. Seventeen potent ingredients, each scientifically proven to have a significant effect at helping balance your glucose levels, improve glucose sensitivity, protect delicate cells from free radicals, and energy
- HIGH POTENCY. PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help you support healthy blood glucose levels
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: supports healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- ✅ QUICK AND EASY TO USE: Care Touch blood sugar test kit delivers results in only 5 seconds with just a 0.5µL blood sample. There is no programming needed since our blood sugar monitor kit automatically recognizes batch codes encrypted on Care Touch glucose test strips. Our state-of-the-art glucometer kit with strips and lancets includes single-touch strip ejection, so you can hygienically remove used diabetic test strips.
- ✅ EASY DIABETIC MONITORING: The blood sugar monitor kit with strips is capable of saving up to 300 readings. The blood glucose test kit also provides a continuous 14-day average of your readings, making glucose monitoring easy for you and your healthcare provider.
- ✅ PORTABLE AND HASSLE-FREE: The diabetic testing kit comes with a handy glucometer case, which means you can check your blood sugar level at home or anywhere else while staying organized. The 10-depth lancing device and lancets will help make blood sugar testing almost painless and hassle-free.
- ✅ COMPLETE DIABETIC SET: The glucose meter kit with strips and lancets includes: (1) Care Touch Blood Sugar Meter, (100) Blood Glucose Test Strips for diabetes, (1) Lancing Device, (100) Lancets for diabetes testing, (1) 3 Volt Lithium Battery, (1) Glucose meter case for your blood sugar tester and diabetic supplies
- ✅ WE CARE BECAUSE YOU CARE: You care about your health, and we care about you. Care Touch is committed to providing the best quality blood glucose monitoring systems. Our care doesn’t end when your sugar tester diabetes kit arrives at your door. We’re fully dedicated to your satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns about your glucose monitor kit with strips and lancets - contact us at any time.
Last update on 2022-05-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API