Energy Drinks for Diabetics can help with increasing your energy. Energy drinks have been around since the early twentieth century, with the aim of rising health and vitality. To boost energy, most energy drinks on the market today contain caffeine or a caffeine derivative, taurine, and a combination of B vitamins. According to a University of Florida research, neither taurine nor B vitamins provide energy to the body. The caffeine and sugar in these energy drinks are the true energy boosters.
According to the website Market Research World, one out of every five dollars spent on soft drinks is spent on an energy drink. These drinks are very appealing to the overworked and overtired crowd for a fast boost in energy levels.
Energy drinks, energy shots, and energy drink blends are all part of the energy drinks industry. Energy drinks are beverages that give the user an extra boost of energy. They normally contain a lot of caffeine and other ingredients like taurine, guarana, and B vitamins.
Energy shots are an intense type of energy drink with a higher level of caffeine as the main ingredient. The third subcategory, energy drink blends, are powders that can be combined with water or juice.
You will wonder if these drinks are healthy for you if you have high blood sugar. Although there is no specific diabetic energy drink, most energy drink brands offer a sugar-free alternative, which may or may not be the best option.
Energy Drinks for Diabetic People
If you have diabetes, your first thoughts may be to fully avoid sugar or to quit consuming energy drinks, as sugar and caffeine are the most popular ingredients in many of them. You must always be careful with how much you drink.
Drinking an energy drink on a regular basis will easily increase your blood sugar levels, giving you a sugar rush. Your high blood sugar levels will rapidly decrease, resulting in low blood sugar and an increase in appetite. This cycle can result in binge eating and weight gain.
If your doctor advises you should drink energy drinks, go for the sugar-free ones to keep your added sugar consumption down to avoid weight gain. The majority of energy drink manufacturers sell a sugar-free version of their products. Each serving of these beverages has 3 to 10 Calories and 0 – 3g of carbohydrates.
To keep the beverages low in calories and carbohydrates, sugar substitutes including sucralose (also known as Splenda) and Acesulfame K are used to sweeten them. Caffeine and vitamins that are said to improve energy are also present in these beverages.
Caffeine Consumption by Diabetics
Caffeine affects everybody differently, so you may or may not be able to ingest caffeine depending on your diabetic condition. Diabetics should monitor their blood sugar levels if they drink caffeine.
A maximum daily caffeine intake of 400mg is recommended for healthy adults. That’s FDA advice straight from the source. If you have diabetes, however, start with low doses of caffeine and control your reaction as you raise the dose.
Caffeine in coffee has been shown in research to minimize the risk of type 2 diabetes. On the other hand, it has also been shown to raise blood sugar levels in several studies. Your blood sugar levels respond to caffeine in various ways depending on your body mass, age, drugs, and health condition.
Sugar Consumption by Diabetics
Yes, diabetics can consume sugar as long as they keep track of their sugar intake. Standard, healthy men should consume no more than 50 g of sugar per day, while women should consume no more than 25 g. Diabetics, of course, would have their own, more stringent restrictions.
When you’re keeping an eye on your sugar intake from drinks, don’t forget that “natural” foods like rice, bread, and biscuits also contain sugar in varying quantities.
Sugar-free Products Consumption
Sugar-free beverages do not raise blood sugar levels if the term “sugar-free” refers to the absence of sugar or artificial sweeteners in drinks.
Interestingly, “sugar-free” does not always imply “carbohydrate-free” or “calorie-free,” especially if artificial sweeteners are used. As a result, sugar-free foods and drinks aren’t always good for diabetics.
Some sweeteners contain carbohydrates or calories, which can cause a blood sugar spike.
Which Energy Drinks can you Drink?
To put it succinctly, diabetics can ingest caffeine and sugar in controlled amounts, allowing them to consume a variety of energy drinks. Go for energy drinks that are sugar-free, low in calories, and have a small level of caffeine.
Personally, I believe you can restrict your energy drink consumption to just one serving every other day. It’s also a good idea to check with your doctor to see if drinking energy drinks is safe for you.
Can Diabetics Drink Red Bull?
Yes, of course, a diabetic can drink Red Bull, but only the sugar-free or Total Zero varieties, not the original edition. Red Bull contains a whopping 27 g of sugar and 110 calories in its original form.
Finally, select an energy drink that contains no sugar, is low in calories, and contains a moderate amount of caffeine.
Personal Best Energy Drinks for Diabetics
I’ve compiled a list of some of the best energy drinks for you to try, but if you’re diabetic, use caution and read the ingredients list carefully before adding any of these to your diet.
1- XS Energy Drink
- Sugar – zero
- Caffeine – 80mg
- Calories – 10 per serving
- Price – Around $3-4 for an 8.4 fl. Oz can
2- Xyience Energy Drink
- Sugar – zero
- Caffeine – 176mg (high)
- Calories – zero
- Price – $4.25 for a can of 16 fl. Oz
Powder Options for Energy Drinks
Powdered energy drinks are also a reasonable choice to consider. They are not only typically less expensive than most ready-to-drink energy drinks, but they are also much more convenient to take with you everywhere you go and more flexible in terms of what you can mix them with.
1- Advocare Spark Energy Drink
- Sugar – zero
- Caffeine – 120mg (a bit higher)
- Calories – 15 per serving
- Price – Each serving costs around $2.50 with shipping.
2- REIZE Energy Drink
- Sugar – zero
- Caffeine – 50mg
- Calories – 11 per serving
- Price – Around $1
In Conclusion – Risks in Consumption of Energy Drinks
Energy Drinks for Diabetics shouldn’t always be your first choice when it comes to a beverage. Energy drinks may not be the wisest choice for raising energy because they increase blood pressure and heart rate. You already have a higher risk of heart failure if you have high blood sugar, and you don’t need to add an energy drink to the risk.
Furthermore, these beverages can contribute to insomnia, restlessness, dehydration, and dizziness. You must be aware of your diabetes condition and any diet restrictions enforced by your doctor. So, before making any dietary changes, please seek advice from a health professional.
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds.
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Dr. Marlene Merritt (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 100 Pages - 04/18/2021 (Publication Date) - Primal Health, LP (Publisher)
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight loss and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Support cardiovascular health & blood sugar levels with the PurePremium blood sugar support dietary supplement, which contains essential vitamins, minerals and herbs.
- Support healthy glucose metabolism by adding our all-natural heart health supplement to your diet. Our advanced cardiovascular support capsules contain cinnamon, mulberry, vitamin c, vitamin e, magnesium, zinc, licorice root extract and manganese.
- Support blood cholesterol levels and make sure that your heart is healthy and strong. Support healthy insulin function and bolster your immune system against harmful free radicals.
- Our easy-to-swallow capsules support healthy glucose levels and your metabolism at the same time.
- Formulated in the USA. Every PurePremium product comes from an inspected, and GMP certified facility right here in the USA.
- REVOLUTIONARY BLEND AND HIGH DOSES: Daily Support is NOT just another multivitamin! Compare our doses to others - we include more natural ingredients needed for daily Diabetes support and blood sugar regulation. Each bottle contains a one month supply.
- POWERFUL 7 IN 1 BLEND: Daily Support is a specialized blend of 7 ultra-potent, completely natural, and pure ingredients for Type 2 Diabetes support. Each daily dose includes Cinnamon, Banaba, Chromium Picolinate, Milk Thistle, Magnesium Oxide, Vitamin B12, and Bilberry Fruit Powder.
- COMBAT INSULIN RESISTANCE: Diabetes Doctor's powerful blend of Cinnamon, Banaba, Magnesium, and Chromium helps promote healthy insulin function, higher energy levels, and support pancreas health.
- CORRECT NUTRITIONAL DEFICIENCIES: Magnesium and Vitamin B12 deficiencies are very common with Type 2 Diabetes. These deficiencies can aggravate insulin resistance and contribute to heart risk and nerve pain. Daily Support provides you with full doses of both essential vitamins and minerals.
- SUPPORT HEALTHY VITAL ORGANS: Daily Support contains Milk Thistle, which aids in promoting healthy heart, liver, kidney, and pancreas function - organs that can be affected by diabetes.
Last update on 2021-04-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API