When you have diabetes you need Diabetic Health Insurance. Where do you get it and how? We shall find out! Diabetes is commonly known as ‘silent killer’ because of its impact on the quality of your life. During your younger ages its does not have much impact but as you grow old it can be devastating and then the requirement of diabetic health insurance arises.
It has been observed over the years that someone with diabetic has about 2.3 times more medical expenses than someone who is not suffering from diabetic. Thus, in order to manage and treat this chronic disease it is very important to get a good health insurance that will support you in every step of your life.
What Should Diabetics know about Insurance?
Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes are the most common types of diabetes. There are different kinds of expenses that are related with your diabetic treatment. Some of them are for physical examinations while some other is for paying the doctor’s fees.
Then there are medicines. Once you start looking for a diabetic insurance plan you will find that three are a number of them available in the insurance market and each one of them has different offers for you.
Now, it may be challenging to understand which is the best and how can you get one insurance plan that will cover your diabetic treatment cost maximum. This article will put light on different aspects that must be chosen before you land up with any particular diabetic health insurance plan.
Buying a Diabetic Health Insurance Plan
There are different policies available when it comes to a diabetic health insurance plan. Most of the insurer will offer you with a coverage that can cover someone aging between 18 years to 65 years. There are many others who cover one even after the age of 65. However, it is obvious that the premium in that case will be on the higher side.
Many people have the question that when they are getting covered for a med claim then why should they go for a separate diabetic health insurance? It’s simple, diabetic is a chronic disease. Once you have it there are high chances that you have to be under medication for the rest of your life. Thus, being a diabetic you have to visit the doctor regularly and get medicines.
There may be certain hospitalization costs too. If you pay these out of your regular med claim plan then the next premium that you pay will become higher. Thus, in order to ensure that your regular medical care insurance plan is not changed and you can avail it in case of any emergency it is best to get a medical health insurance plan separately for diabetic.
Where to Get Health Insurance if You Have Diabetes?
Many people worry that they will not get a good coverage because they are already suffering from diabetes. It’s not the case when you are a diabetic patient. Even with diabetes you can get a good health insurance plan that will help you for treating yourself. No insurance company will deny you from any coverage because you have a pre-existing condition like diabetes.
Your challenge as a diabetic patient will be getting the best health insurance plan that will provide you with maximum coverage. In order to search for a health insurance plan you can start looking through:
- Your employer, in case you are working.
- Your spouse or partner’s employer, when you yourself are not associated with any organization.
- Medicare or Medicaid
- Among different private health insurance companies
If you research you can find a good fact about the different offers that these companies are offering for someone who is suffering from diabetes.
Getting Health Insurance with Diabetes
The first thing you have to understand while buying a health insurance plan for diabetes are the costs that are associated with the insurance plan. It is obvious that there will be a premium that you have to pay at regular interval.
However, this is not the only cost that is associated with diabetes health insurance. There are many more and before you choose any plan for you from any insurer it is important that you have good idea about the different costs that you may have to bear.
There are mainly two components of the costs that you will be bearing and they are the monthly or yearly premium and the different out of pocket costs. They are coinsurance, co-pays, deductibles while getting the medical services and the cost of buying any medical device.
Depending upon the type of diabetes you have the total cost of treatment will also vary. Thus it is important that you understand these factors and then you will be able to take the right decision.
Next you also need to consider the type of health insurance plan you are buying. There are ones that are high deductibles plans. In these cases you have to bear the deductibles and the amount will be on the higher side. However, the monthly premium may be comparatively low.
You need to understand the services that you require and when you will require them. Based on that, it will be possible for you to decide how to go ahead with choosing the right health insurance plan that will cover your diabetic treatment.
The best time to go for a health insurance is during the open enrollment period. It is good for those who are buying the coverage for the first time and similarly for those who already have some plan but presently wants to change their marketplace plans. There are a few things that must be checked while you buy the insurance coverage. Let’s get in deep into that.
Treatment Specifics Things That the Health Insurance Plan Must Provide
When you are suffering from diabetes it is obvious that you have to rely on different kind of treatment and you will need varied supplies for treating yourself. Thus, while you choose the plan make sure that you have examined different aspects of your treatment and found out what of those are covered under the plan and what are not.
Some of these may be covered and some of them have to be paid as co-insurance or as co-pay. The policy will also be specific about the frequency on which you will get reimbursement for buying those supplies.
For category medical devices, you must look for patch pumps, insulin pumps, glucose monitors. In order to check whether you will get them you must look out at the durable medical equipment section. If it’s not there then go through the plan document to check it out.
For different testing supplies you must ask for monitors, glucose test strips, glucose control solutions, lancet devices. Again, you may know about it from durable medical equipment section.
For different prescribed drugs you may look for insulin, and other medicines that might be taken. This list may vary from time to time and you need to keep checking the website of the insurance provider to know in details about it. Be vigilant when it comes to this.
For different lab related cost there must be coverage for blood glucose level test, c-peptide, and hemoglobin. It will be found under the lab testing section of the policy that you get.
By reading the policy in details you can always know about this but apart from that it is best to discuss with your policy holder about it so that you do not face any problem.
There may be coverage for different tests but the total number of test that is covered may be limited under different plans. So, it is best to check out these few things and then decide which plan will be best for your diabetes treatment.
Tips to Get the Best Health Insurance for Diabetes
Now that you have idea about the different costs that are associated with the Health insurance it is necessary that you ask certain questions before finally shopping for the diabetic health insurance plan.
- Do ask them about the diabetic related supplies that will be covered. You must have some idea about it now.
- You need to be clear about the different diabetic related services that will be covered.
- There must be specific prescription drugs that are covered. Know about them and also learn about the coverage.
- Is there any preventive care services included within the plan? If so, know about the coverage in details. It’s that important!
- Most importantly it is necessary that you learn about the co-pay or the deductibles that you have to pay.
- Whether there will be in network payment or out of network payments too? If you have questions you must always ask about it to get clear idea about the same.
In this respect it is important to understand what in-network is and what is out-of-network. The In-network doctors, laboratories, hospitals, clinics and other facilities are ones that works with the particular health insurance plan you are covered.
They have a contract with the insurance company to provide you services at any negotiated rate. There are many health insurance plans that will never pay you a penny for any out-of-network services. This is a perfect option for you!
As the name suggest, out-of-network are those doctors, laboratories, hospitals, clinics and different facilities who do not have any contract with your insurance provider. You can get services from them but the payments rates will be not at negotiated price and thus you may have to pay a little more.
Moreover, you need to know if you insurer will pay you the amount or not. If they do not pay for it then you have to bear the 100 per cent cost of your treatment from out of network services.
- Learn about the health insurance deductibles or the co-pay. There are different categories of supplies and you have learned about them earlier. Be specific about each and ask the insurer how much will be covered under the plan.
Once you have undergone the above and you have few plans in your hand it is time for you to compare them so that you know which will be best for you.
There are a few more things that need your attention while you look out for the plans. The first thing is that how can you claim your coverage. It is sometimes a lengthy process and sometimes it is very simple. Thus, before you finalize any particular policy you need to ensure that you have also checked out the claiming process.
Sometimes everything will be covered and you will not have to pay a penny. Until and unless you know about these conditions you will not find it easy to handle your diabetic medical health insurance plan.
The Bottom Line
Diabetic health insurance is imperative when you have diabetes. After going through the whole thing it must be clear to you that when your lifestyle has changed due to diabetes you have to make certain changes in your monthly budget too. Getting a diabetic health insurance and paying for its premium is of course one of the most important among them. Just do not jump and start looking for different plans.
Before you do that it is necessary to discuss things with your doctor. They can suggest you the treatment procedure based on which you may look for a plan. Remember that your plan will change with time as the severity of the disease will also change.
Earlier it will be only for diabetes and insulin, later there is treatment for retinopathy or any kidney malfunction. Thus, they will be added gradually in the plan. For present situation your doctor will be your best advice point to understand what you need.
Thus, when it comes to evaluating a health insurance plan for diabetes makes sure that you have considered every aspect and then have started looking for a plan. If your spouse is also suffering from the same then it is best to take them under the same policy.
Your insurer will give you more details about it, but the costs will be on lower side. If you plan properly you will find that you are able to get a plan that is helping you get best treatment while saving a lot from different medical bills.
Check Out Below the Best Way
to Lower Your Blood Sugar Fast!
Please share on social media below and forward this to others who need help and please leave any questions or comments you may have below. I would love to interact with you. Thank you for reading and I appreciate it!
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Rothchild, Sascha (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 336 Pages - 04/19/2022 (Publication Date) - G.P. Putnam's Sons (Publisher)
- ✅ QUICK AND EASY TO USE: Care Touch blood sugar test kit delivers results in only 5 seconds with just a 0.5µL blood sample. There is no programming needed since our blood sugar monitor kit automatically recognizes batch codes encrypted on Care Touch glucose test strips. Our state-of-the-art glucometer kit with strips and lancets includes single-touch strip ejection, so you can hygienically remove used diabetic test strips.
- ✅ EASY DIABETIC MONITORING: The blood sugar monitor kit with strips is capable of saving up to 300 readings. The blood glucose test kit also provides a continuous 14-day average of your readings, making glucose monitoring easy for you and your healthcare provider.
- ✅ PORTABLE AND HASSLE-FREE: The diabetic testing kit comes with a handy glucometer case, which means you can check your blood sugar level at home or anywhere else while staying organized. The 10-depth lancing device and lancets will help make blood sugar testing almost painless and hassle-free.
- ✅ COMPLETE DIABETIC SET: The glucose meter kit with strips and lancets includes: (1) Care Touch Blood Sugar Meter, (100) Blood Glucose Test Strips for diabetes, (1) Lancing Device, (100) Lancets for diabetes testing, (1) 3 Volt Lithium Battery, (1) Glucose meter case for your blood sugar tester and diabetic supplies
- ✅ WE CARE BECAUSE YOU CARE: You care about your health, and we care about you. Care Touch is committed to providing the best quality blood glucose monitoring systems. Our care doesn’t end when your sugar tester diabetes kit arrives at your door. We’re fully dedicated to your satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns about your glucose monitor kit with strips and lancets - contact us at any time.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- PUREHEALTH RESEARCH - Blood Sugar Formula 3 Bottles
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- A DOCTOR-APPROVED NATURAL FORMULA. Seventeen potent ingredients, each scientifically proven to have a significant effect at helping balance your glucose levels, improve glucose sensitivity, protect delicate cells from free radicals, and energy
- HIGH POTENCY. PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help you support healthy blood glucose levels
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: supports healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency support for 365 days a year; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health; daily support for healthy blood glucose levels, 365 days a year
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
Last update on 2022-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API