Diabetes is all about what you eat. There are many diabetic foods to avoid. If you eat these foods you are only adding fuel to the diabetes fire. It’s crucial to know exactly which foods you must stay away from. Some of the foods I will talk about I’m sure you are aware of that are not good for you and there may be some surprises that you thought were good, but are not. I will provide you with a Diabetic Foods to Avoid List:
Which Foods Must you Stay Away from with Diabetes?
It’s important to know what diabetes can do to you because some of the consequences such as kidney disease, heart disease, amputations, and blindness are NOT what you want to happen to you EVER.
Whether you are type 2 diabetic or pre-diabetic, it doesn’t mean that it’s the end of the world, unless you don’t change your eating and exercise habits and if you procrastinate it will just make matters worse. So get moving!
Do you know why your intake of carbohydrates is so important? Well the macronutrients that provide energy for you are protein, carbs, and fat. Now, the one that has the most effect on your blood glucose levels are the carbs. They get broken down into sugar and absorbed into your bloodstream.
The carbs contain fiber and sugar. Fiber will not raise your blood sugar because it is not digested and absorbed the exact same way that other carbohydrates are by your body.
You need fiber and not carbs to help you control and maintain your blood sugar levels and your overall diabetes. High levels of sugar are going to do damage to your organs, your body’s blood vessels and nerves as well. Start thinking LOW CARBS!
13 Foods You Must Avoid
1. White Bread, Rice, and Pasta
Any foods that are white such as bagels, breads, and foods that are refined flour foods have been proven to raise blood glucose levels in folks with both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. There were studies done with bagels with high carbs and the bagels showed a decline in the brain function and mental capacities in addition to raising blood glucose levels in people with type 2 diabetes.
Processed foods such as these do not contain much fiber which would help slow sugar absorption into your bloodstream. You are much better replacing white bread with whole grain or bread that is high fiber. This can help to lower blood glucose levels substantially. You will also help with lowering your blood pressure and cholesterol too.
2. Dried Fruit
It’s known that fruit is always good for you but even fruit contains sugar. But still you can have fruit within reason especially if you stick with a small apple or fresh berries because they are lower on the Glycemic index level. These are a better choice for you.
The problem with dried fruit however, is that when it is “dried” the fruit now has much less water in it and that means that the nutrients that it contains such as potassium and vitamin C are now of a higher concentration and the bad news is that sugar content is higher too.
You can compare one single cup of grapes which has only 27 grams of carbs as opposed to over 100 grams of carbs for raisins! That is a lot more sugar than the grapes.
The bottom line here with fruit is that you want to include it in your diet because it is very healthy for you. Stick to the fruits that are lower on the Glycemic index level. But also avoid any dried fruits when you have diabetes. Dried fruits are not a healthy choice for diabetics.
3. French Fries
Now if you’re like me, you love French fries! Not anymore! These are the worst for you! Do you really want to spike your blood sugar? This is a way to do it for sure.
Potatoes alone are high on the GI chart because they contain 37 carbs and out of them only 4 are from fiber which is what you really want but not with fries.
Want to make it worse? Then go and peel the potatoes and fry them in vegetable oil and that will really do a number on your blood sugar levels. But that’s not even the worst of it. When you deep fry these foods they result in the production of toxic compounds. These are responsible for raising your risk of disease and stimulating inflammation.
This is one of the top culprits in the bad food for diabetics category. Sodas are linked to bigger waistlines and weight gain and they are at the top of my list of things to avoid like the plague. They are especially responsible for adding to diabetes because of how much sugar they contain. One 12 oz can of Coke has a whopping 39 grams of sugar!
I remember when I found out many years ago after drinking Coke all the time that this same 12 oz can actually contained TEN teaspoons of sugar! WOW! I never drank soda again, but diet sodas are not good either so stay away from them altogether. Sports drinks and teas are no better. They ALL have tons of sugar.
My weakness is chocolate. It is now a food of the past. Dark chocolate is good for you, but only in small amounts. Chocolate and other candy is loaded with sugar which explains why kids go haywire and nutso when they are high on candy, LOL!
The bottom line with candy is that it has so much sugar that is just about the worst food on the list to stay away from. And that means ALL candy!
6. Sugary Cereals
There are cereals that may be good for you, but the sugary ones certainly are not. This processed food has a very high content of sugar and I guess when you’re a kid growing up you don’t care. You want what you want.
But as an adult with diabetes you must absolutely stay away from any sugary cereals. And if are going to have cereal, read the labels first. Stick with steel-cut oatmeal, wheat bran, oat bran and others like it.
Watch the Video Below About the Worst Foods for Diabetes
7. Flavored Coffee
I’m not a coffee drinker but I do know that a regular cup of black coffee without sugar may be okay for a pre-diabetic. The problem arises when you go to a coffee shop and order these Mochas and Frappuccinos. These guys are loaded with excess sugar, whipped cream, syrups, and anything else that will skyrocket your blood glucose numbers immediately!
8. Trans Fats Foods
Trans fats are extremely unhealthy. Trans fats may not be exactly related to raising blood glucose levels, they do increase insulin resistance, inflammation, abdominal fat, the lowering of HDL good cholesterol levels, and damaging the functions of your arteries.
This is vital to diabetics because you are at a higher risk for a heart attack. Any label reading “partially hydrogenated” is something to avoid for sure! Some of these include baked goods, muffins, peanut butter, frozen dinners, and margarines. Say NO to trans fats!
Click Below to Lose Weight & Lower Your Blood Sugars
9. Fruit Juices
While fruit juice might taste great and seem to be healthy, it’s not. It basically has the same affects on your blood glucose as any drinks with sugar or sodas. Fruit juice that is unsweetened can have more sugar than the sodas or sports drinks. These fruit juices are loaded with fructose which is the sugar that fuels obesity, insulin resistance, and heart disease. Cross fruit juice off the list if you’ve been having it.
10. Fast Food
Do I really have to tell you that fast food is absolutely no good for you? I hate to pick out McDonald’s, but since the biggest I’ll just say that research was done and found that by eating there or any other fast food place more than 2 times a week resulted in insulin resistance at 2 times the rate of those who didn’t stop at a fast food place.
It’s a well known fact that insulin resistance raises the chances of pre-diabetes and developing type 2 diabetes. Keep driving past McDonald’s. Do not stop. You’ll be doing yourself a world of good by doing so.
11. Yogurt with Fruit
Flavored yogurts are made from low-fat milk or non-fat milk which are packed with sugars and carbohydrates. Frozen yogurts are no bargain either with even more sugar than ice cream. Yogurt with fruit has 47 grams of sugar in one cup. Almost all of the calories come from sugar. If you’re going to have yogurt, stick with the plain yogurt! It’s a much safer option.
12. Salt Products
You’re better off with less sodium when you have diabetes. It is linked to hypertension, heart disease, and high cholesterol. Snacks such as pretzels and potato chips are just two examples. Use common sense again by reading the labels of a product before you buy it. If you’re a diabetic then do not have more than 1,500 mg of salt daily.
13. Fatty Meats
These are just not healthy for you and are associated with type 2 diabetes. The fatty meats contain a large amount of saturated fat that is responsible for sparking inflammation in your body. Saturated fat will raise your cholesterol levels and of course that raises your risk for heart attack.
You should be choosing lean meat such as turkey, pork tenderloin, fish, and chicken that is skinless. Avoid hamburgers, hot dogs, bacon, spare ribs, bologna, and others that are similar.
This is just a list of the worst diabetic foods to avoid. There are many others but this gives you an idea of the worst offenders for a diabetic to stay away from. Diabetes is tough enough to deal with and as long as you do everything you can to control it, you can live a fairly normal life. You don’t have to suffer if you do what you have to do.
Click Below to Lose Weight & Lower Your Blood Sugars
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds.
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Accurate: Metene TD-4116 blood glucose meter and strips are produced with industry-leading chips and biosensor, equipped with industry-leading technologies, conducive to get accurate and reliable measurements
- No Coding: The blood sugar meter gets into measure status automatically once insert the blood sugar test strip correctly to the bottom of the slot, easy to use and easy to read with large display for the senior
- 7 Seconds And 0.7µl Blood: This blood glucose monitor takes just 7s and 0.7µl blood to get the glucose value; The lancing device has 5 depth options to minimize wound and reduce pain
- Better Data Management: This glucometer stores the newest 450 blood glucose values and display the continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average; the measurements could be exported with windows-based software; help you track and manage your blood glucose better
- Diabetes Testing Kit 207 Piece Set: 100 glucometer strips, 100 30G lancets, 1 blood sugar meter, 1 lancing device, 1 control solution, 2 batteries, 1 protective wallet and 1 user manual; Please feel free to contact us if any problem when using this Diabetes testing kit
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS. Insufficient blood applied to test strip will result in wrong readings. Please hold the lancing device firmly against your fingertip for enough sample. Watch our instructional videos in our listings to optimize your testing results. Our friendly customer support will always be here to answer your questions and help to resolve your concerns. (30 Day Money Back Guarantee)
- EXCEEDS INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS. AUVON BGMs can function within ±10%, or ±10 mg/dl of laboratory values over 95% of the time, which is far beyond ISO 15197:2013 passing standard (within ±15% or ±15 mg/dl). The manufacturer is certified with CE mark, GMP, ISO 13485:2016, and ISO 15197:2013 without having any recall on the market in the past 14 years.
- CUTTING-EDGE TEST STRIPS. We use cutting-edge test strips enzymes for blood glucose measurements. Our test strips are produced with unique Automatic Carbon Printing Technique to ensure that the quality of each batch of strips could be relevantly much more stable, precise and accurate. Additionally, PROMISED 0.16USD/pcs would keep you no pressure to repurchase.
- KEEP TRACK OF DATA. Store your test results with time and date helps you track and manage your health while also keeping a continuous 7/14/30 average results. Automatic off means our device works longer without having to worry about wasting battery life.
- ALL IN ONE: 1 x AUVON DS-W Blood Glucose Monitor, 1 x battery, 50 x Blood Test Strips, 50 x 30 gauge Lancets, 1 x Lancing device, 1 x Meter User Guide, 1 x Test Strip User Guide, Our Exclusive Lifetime Warranty and Technical Support and Friendly Customer Service.
Last update on 2021-09-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API