Are Chia Seeds Good For Diabetics? According to research chia seeds help people with diabetes in controlling their blood sugar levels. They help with improving blood sugar control and risks for heart disease as well in people with type 2 diabetes. They contain antioxidants and omega-3 oils that are very healthy for you, but it’s the fiber content that provides the most benefit. Chia seeds also are an appetite suppresser.
Why are Chia Seeds Beneficial?
The chia seeds help to slow the glucose passage into your bloodstream. This is great for reducing your appetite and making you feel full. That’s what you want when you have type 2 diabetes and when you have weight to lose.
So many of the foods that are not good for you keep you craving for more of the same “sugary” foods. Chia seeds are not one of them and they will do just the opposite and that’s good for your blood sugars. This helps control your diabetes.
The epidemic of diabetes is running rampant in the world today and the fact is that it isn’t a death sentence if you have the knowledge about how to treat it and then take action. There are so many ways to enter chia seeds into your diet and let me tell you that the benefits you receive are well worth it. My main concern is diabetes first. Let me tell you why.
Getting type 2 diabetes under control is first and foremost on my list. The biggest reason is that it leads to much bigger problems down the road. There are a lot of benefits that chia seeds offers that will not only help to control blood sugars, but also diabetes in general, weight loss and a variety of other ailments and diseases as well.
Anything that helps you to lose weight, is at the same time going to help you with your type 2 diabetes. It’s that simple. Ok, losing weight may not be the easiest thing to do, but if by having chia seeds in my diet is going to help with diabetes, losing weight, and multiple other issues, then it’s a no-brainer!
There were recent studies done with two groups of rats. The first group was fed a diet that was high fructose, high fat and the second group was fed the same thing along with chia oil and chia seeds. The first group developed insulin resistance, glucose intolerance, and also oxidative stress. This is basically identical to humans eating a diet that is typically sugar and processed foods.
So the second group of rats that were given the chia seeds did not develop the same issues that first group wound up with. The conclusion was that the chia that was added actually was responsible for restoring the antioxidants in the system and remarkably improved insulin tolerance and glucose. This is pretty amazing!
Chia Seed Nutrition
Let me talk about nutrition of chia seeds. They are loaded with healthy fats such as omega-3, fiber, protein, and packed with minerals and vitamins. They are the complete food source as far as seeds go. They contain the following:
- Calcium- 631 mg (63% daily recommended allowance or DRA)
- Zinc- 4.58 mg (48% DRA)
- Manganese- 2.7 mg (130% DRA)
- Potassium- 407 mg ( 9% DRA)
- Phosphorous- 860 mg (123% DRA)
- Magnesium– 335 mg (94% DRA)
- Iron- 4.58 mg (59% DRA)
- Omega-3- 1 tsp. 720 mg (85% DRA)
Chia seeds also contain 34% fiber and 16% protein with zero cholesterol. They do contain some fat but two of the major fats must be obtained from food as your body cannot make them. The dried chia seeds are 6% water weight.
The protein they contain is among the best for a plant-based protein so this makes them a excellent choice for burning fat, putting on lean muscle, and balancing your blood sugars which is exactly what you want if you’re a diabetic.
Recommended daily allowance for chia seeds that is beneficial for your health and diabetes is between 18 and 20 grams. With diabetes the best way to help and control and maintain your blood sugar levels is with exercise and a healthy diet. Chia seeds can definitely help you with this. Anything that helps lower your blood sugar is definitely worth a try!
Top 13 Benefits of Chia Seeds
1) Blood sugar levels- So as I already discussed this, I wanted too still reiterate how important chia seeds are for your type 2 diabetes. They help you with appetite, good digestion, protein, inflammation, and your weight. Make sure you add them to your diet whenever you can. It’s important to monitor your blood sugars regularly and see your doctor.
2) Energy levels- You can help to give your body more fuel and energy for quite a bit of extended time because of the carbs in chia seeds have a slow conversion time. You can start off your energy with a booster because they take quite a long time to digest. In addition, these powerful seeds help to decrease inflammation and work hard against dehydration.
3) Mood enhancer- You want to be happier, don’t you? Well tryptophan, which is an amino acid that can make you feel happier than you normally would and it helps the natural way. Tryptophan is known for producing neurotransmitters and hormones such as melatonin and serotonin. I’m sure that you are aware that melatonin relaxes you to sleep better and that serotonin helps to relieve your anxiety.
4) Cardiovascular health- Your heart benefits from chia seeds too. Because of the contents of the omega-3’s, they help to decrease inflammation (which is so important because of what it can do to your body), and your chance of cardiac arrest or heart attack lessens. Chia seeds decrease the LDL bad cholesterol and your triglyceride levels too.
5) Stronger bones- You need more calcium in your body especially as you get older. In just one ounce of chia seeds you can get 18% of your daily recommended allowance of calcium. These seeds also have magnesium and phosphorous which helps to make strong bones as well. This is vital to your health because you really need healthy bones.
6) Gluten free- There are many folks who have celiac disease and need to have foods that are gluten free. It’s hard enough to be on a gluten-free diet. Since chia seeds do not contain gluten, you can still reap the benefits while on a gluten-free diet.
7) Intensify workouts- It’s important to avoid any workout drinks that may contain caffeine and sugar when you’re working out. You need to drink water and stay hydrated and also avoid any restlessness or becoming jittery. You can remedy this situation by mixing a teaspoon of chia seeds along with lemon in water. This will aid in maintaining your energy level and hydration too.
8) Your teeth- Minerals and vitamins that chia seeds have will also help your teeth. Vitamin A and calcium also help and zinc can help to prevent the beginning of tartar and the building up of plaque on your teeth. There’s nothing like a clean mouth and good hygiene.
9) Your skin- Recent studies revealed that almost 70% of free radical movement was terminated by antioxidants in chia seeds. This in turn proved that they halt premature aging caused by any free radical inflammation. Why not take advantage of a way to have your skin looking as best that it can.
10) Weight loss- It’s vital to manage your weight especially when you have type 2 diabetes. Excess weight has so much to do with diabetes and helping to keep your blood sugar numbers down and consistent. Chia seeds aid in improving your glucose numbers because of protein and fiber they contain.
It helps you to stay full longer and that will keep your weight down and your blood sugars too. Obviously, the less calories you eat, the less weight you will gain. Start a weight loss plan and stick to it forever because nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!
11) Cancer- Research was done on alpha lipoic acid which is an omega-3 fatty acid. The research found that this restricted the growth of cancer cells in cervical and breast cancers. The end result was that by causing the killing of the cancer cells, the healthy ones were unaffected. This is one very positive fact for the battle against cancer.
12) Carbohydrate content- In one ounce of chia seeds, 12 grams are carbohydrates but the fact is that out of the 12, 11 grams are actually fiber which is not digested by your body. So because fiber will not raise your blood sugar, it doesn’t need insulin to be disposed of and really is not a true carb that might normally be counted as one.
13) Naturally organic and raw- There are seeds and foods that are grown under GMO (genetically modified organisms) conditions. Chia seeds are not GMO. They are naturally organic and do not require any pesticides or anything artificial to grow. No chemicals and one of the healthiest foods you can eat.
Are Chia Seeds Good For Diabetics? So it’s important to know now that you should have chia seeds for diabetes and incorporate them into your diet. They are extremely beneficial for your health and your type 2 diabetes. They are so small and easy to put into your foods and are even healthier than flax seeds.
Reverse Your Type 2 Diabetes Below!
If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them below and pass this on to others who may need help. I would appreciate it! Thank you for reading and have a happy and a healthy!
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Rothchild, Sascha (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 336 Pages - 04/19/2022 (Publication Date) - G.P. Putnam's Sons (Publisher)
- ✅ QUICK AND EASY TO USE: Care Touch blood sugar test kit delivers results in only 5 seconds with just a 0.5µL blood sample. There is no programming needed since our blood sugar monitor kit automatically recognizes batch codes encrypted on Care Touch glucose test strips. Our state-of-the-art glucometer kit with strips and lancets includes single-touch strip ejection, so you can hygienically remove used diabetic test strips.
- ✅ EASY DIABETIC MONITORING: The blood sugar monitor kit with strips is capable of saving up to 300 readings. The blood glucose test kit also provides a continuous 14-day average of your readings, making glucose monitoring easy for you and your healthcare provider.
- ✅ PORTABLE AND HASSLE-FREE: The diabetic testing kit comes with a handy glucometer case, which means you can check your blood sugar level at home or anywhere else while staying organized. The 10-depth lancing device and lancets will help make blood sugar testing almost painless and hassle-free.
- ✅ COMPLETE DIABETIC SET: The glucose meter kit with strips and lancets includes: (1) Care Touch Blood Sugar Meter, (100) Blood Glucose Test Strips for diabetes, (1) Lancing Device, (100) Lancets for diabetes testing, (1) 3 Volt Lithium Battery, (1) Glucose meter case for your blood sugar tester and diabetic supplies
- ✅ WE CARE BECAUSE YOU CARE: You care about your health, and we care about you. Care Touch is committed to providing the best quality blood glucose monitoring systems. Our care doesn’t end when your sugar tester diabetes kit arrives at your door. We’re fully dedicated to your satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns about your glucose monitor kit with strips and lancets - contact us at any time.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- PUREHEALTH RESEARCH - Blood Sugar Formula 3 Bottles
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- A DOCTOR-APPROVED NATURAL FORMULA. Seventeen potent ingredients, each scientifically proven to have a significant effect at helping balance your glucose levels, improve glucose sensitivity, protect delicate cells from free radicals, and energy
- HIGH POTENCY. PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help you support healthy blood glucose levels
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: supports healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency support for 365 days a year; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health; daily support for healthy blood glucose levels, 365 days a year
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
Last update on 2022-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API