If you are someone who suffers from Type 1 Diabetes, then it is important for you to maintain a healthy diet. Try to balance your diet with healthy eating and exercising and not just by taking your insulin medication to keep your blood sugar levels in range. Balancing blood glucose levels can help in preventing further health problems. But it’s important to follow the best diet you can with type 1 diabetes. But What is the Best Diet for Type 1 Diabetes?
What is Type 1 Diabetes?
In Type 1 diabetes, the pancreas can carry out longer release insulin. This is significant in light of the fact that insulin is expected to move sugar (glucose) out of the blood and into muscle, cerebrum, and other objective cells where it is utilized for energy. The high glucose that results can prompt various complications like kidney, nerve, and eye harm, just as cardiovascular illness.
In addition, cells are not getting the glucose they need for sound working. The slaughter of insulin secretion is usually caused by auto-immune demolition of the insulin-producing islet beta cells in the pancreas. Since individuals with type 1 diabetes can no longer produce their own insulin, they should infuse insulin.
Keeping glucose consistent, by coordinating with sugar consumption with the suitable insulin portion, can prevent long-haul entanglements of type 1 diabetes. Type 1 diabetes cannot be cured, but it can be managed through proper care and diet.
Importance of a Diet Plan
Planning a proper diet plan and knowing what food items to eat and what to avoid will help you in enjoying a healthy lifestyle. Here in this article, you will get to know about the best diet for Type 1 diabetic patients. You will also get to know about some of the healthy snack options, and recipes.
1) Planning a proper diet plan
Low blood sugar or hypoglycemia can happen if someone does not balance their diet and insulin intake. Diabetic patients need to eat snacks and regular meals. Daily physical activity also plays a huge role in balancing a healthy lifestyle. Eating healthy food items can help people in maintaining their body weight and keep their blood pressure and cholesterol level in control. Diabetic patients can still enjoy their favorite food items but in smaller portions or less often.
2) Select Healthy Protein Food Items
Try to include protein in your diet as much as you can as it helps in balancing the blood sugar levels of the body. Some of the food options that are rich in protein are as follows:
- lean meat and poultry
- beans and lentils (i.e. black beans, pintos, lentils, kidney beans, and garbanzo beans)
- nuts (i.e. walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, and brazil nuts)
- seeds (i.e. chia, pumpkin, sunflower seeds, and hemp)
- low-fat dairy foods
Nuts, beans, legumes, and seeds are great sources of protein and fiber. The consumption of these food choices can help in slowing down the release of sugar levels into the blood. Try to eat the above-mentioned food choices to balance your blood sugar levels and keep yourself healthy and fit.
3) Eat non-starchy vegetables
Diabetic patients must eat plenty of non-starchy vegetables on daily basis. The food options that consist of Mediterranean, vegetarian diets, and vegan provides a lot of benefits to people who are suffering from Type 1 diabetes. Such food options also help in weight loss and balancing blood pressure.
The non-starchy vegetables are rich in fiber and have fewer effects on blood sugar. Some of the non-starchy vegetables include bell peppers, zucchini, and eggplant, greens (i.e. lettuce, cabbage, pak choi, kale, spinach, watercress, rocket, and more), mushrooms, green beans, broccoli, and cauliflower.
Starchy vegetables, on the other hand, such as pumpkin, corn, and potatoes contain more sugar and are not suitable for people with Type 1 diabetes. But if you want to include these vegetables in your diet then try to add them in smaller amounts so that you cannot face any trouble later on.
4) Eat whole-grains
If you are a diabetic patient then consider eating whole grains instead of refined grains. Whole grains are a great source of carbohydrates. The fiber content present in these food items can help in balancing blood sugar levels.
However, always be careful with the portion size, and do not forget to check the effect of these foods on your body after consumption. Some of the popular and easily accessible whole grain food options are whole wheat bread, brown rice, whole grain pasta, buckwheat, quinoa, oatmeal, millet, and more.
5) Consume Healthy Fats
Eating healthful fats in meals can also help you feel fuller and evade eating too many carbohydrates. Some of the healthful fats options are olives and olive oil, avocados, oily fish, (i.e. salmon, mackerel, and tuna), nuts and seeds, and more.
6) Keep Yourself Hydrated
If you are suffering from Type 1 diabetes then keep yourself hydrated all day. The less water in the body will lead to higher trusted source blood sugar deliberation. Due to this reason, it is important for diabetic patients to stay hydrated. One can also drink citrus slices and mint to create flavored water or drink herbal teas along with water.
Try to eat all the above-mentioned food items if you’re suffering from Type 1 diabetes as all these options can helps in balancing the blood sugar levels of your body. However, there are some food options that you must avoid.
It includes added sugars, processed foods, refined grains (such as pasta, rice, and white bread), sugary breakfast cereals, soda (such as diet soda, and other sugary drinks), juice drinks, sweet treats (such as cakes, pastries, candies, and biscuits), fried foods and food high in saturated and trans fats, alcoholic beverages, and options like these.
Meal Plan for Type 1 Diabetic Patients
People can make use of different methods to map their type 1 diabetes diet. One can also seek help from a professional dietitian. Some of the common ways to prepare a meal plan are as follows:
Carbohydrate ratio: Keep account of carbohydrate ratio. Take proper measures of how many grams (g) of carbohydrate a diabetic patient needs to consume each day and select the food items accordingly.
Glycemic index: Keep proper account of Glycemic index (GI) and glycemic load (GL). As both these help in measuring the amount of sugar in food items and how much they will mount blood sugar.
Plate method: It is an amazing technique that is used to control food groups and portion sizes. Most diabetic patients use this technique to balance their diet and eat a reasonable amount of food. The technique ensures that half of the plate contains non-starchy vegetables whereas a quarter contains a healthy protein, and the last quarter contains a grain or starch fill.
A large number of people think sugar “causes” diabetes. But this is not the case. Type 1 Diabetes is caused by genetics and other related factors. There are a large number of sweet foods that contain a good amount of carbs. Before consuming a food item always check the number of carbs and sugar you’ll get from it. Avoid eating food items and drinks that use low-calorie or artificial sweeteners.
Snack Options for Type 1 Diabetic Patients:
A diabetic patient must eat healthy meals and snacks from time to time to balance their blood sugar levels. Snacks can help in balancing carbohydrates with fats or protein. Different types of diabetic sweets are also available in the market nowadays.
Some of the healthy snack ideas are oatcakes, hummus, chocolate protein balls prepared with nut butter, oats, a diabetes-friendly sweetener, or cocoa powder, nut butter, celery sticks, and a boiled egg.
People who keep proper account of their carbohydrate ingestion should take care to count up fruit if they eat it as a snack. Keep this noted that a small piece of whole fruit contains around 15 g of carbohydrate. Pineapples, melons, and some dried fruits, on the other hand, contain a medium GI.
Eating a lesser sugar fruit collectively with a protein supply can help in balancing blood glucose levels of the body more than eating the fruit on its own. Eating berries with natural yogurt is a great snack that most people like.
What is the Best Diet for Type 1 Diabetes? A customary type 1 diabetes diet does not exist. Though, people can map their meals according to healthy ingestion guidelines and their blood glucose levels. Eating healthy food items that contain a good ratio of protein and carbohydrates, avoiding processed foods, and being responsive to portion size are all key to a healthy lifestyle.
Try to keep yourself informed about all food groups. Understanding carbohydrate counting, plate methods, and GI can also make it easier for people to stabilize their blood sugar levels. If you are one who is suffering from Type 1 diabetes and is looking for the best meal plan options then this article is for you.
Here, you will find all the information related to what to eat and what to avoid balancing the glucose and blood sugar levels. Just have a look at the content above.
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds.
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight loss and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Excellent Accuracy: metene TD-4116 blood glucose meter and strips are produced with industry-leading chips and biosensor, equipped with industry-leading technologies, conducive to get accurate and reliable measurements
- No Coding: The blood sugar meter gets into measure status automatically once insert the blood sugar test strip to the bottom of the slot, easy to use and easy to read with large display for the senior
- Fast and Reduce Pain: This blood glucose monitor takes just 7s and 0.7µl blood to get the glucose value; The lancing device has 5 depth options to minimize wound and reduce pain
- Better Data Management: This glucometer stores the newest 450 blood glucose values and display the continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average; the measurements could be exported with windows-based software; help you track and manage your blood glucose better
- Diabetes Testing Kit 207 Piece Set: 100 glucometer strips, 100 30G lancets, 1 blood sugar meter, 1 lancing device, 1 control solution, 2 batteries, 1 protective wallet and 1 user manual; Please feel free to contact us if any problem when using this Diabetes testing kit
- Support cardiovascular health & blood sugar levels with the PurePremium blood sugar support dietary supplement, which contains essential vitamins, minerals and herbs.
- Support healthy glucose metabolism by adding our all-natural heart health supplement to your diet. Our advanced cardiovascular support capsules contain cinnamon, mulberry, vitamin c, vitamin e, magnesium, zinc, licorice root extract and manganese.
- Support blood cholesterol levels and make sure that your heart is healthy and strong. Support healthy insulin function and bolster your immune system against harmful free radicals.
- Our easy-to-swallow capsules support healthy glucose levels and your metabolism at the same time.
- Formulated in the USA. Every PurePremium product comes from an inspected, and GMP certified facility right here in the USA.
- INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS. Insufficient blood applied to test strip will result in wrong readings. Please hold the lancing device firmly against your fingertip for enough sample. Watch our instructional videos in our listings to optimize your testing results. Our friendly customer support will always be here to answer your questions and help to resolve your concerns. (30 Day Money Back Guarantee)
- EXCEEDS INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS. AUVON BGMs can function within ±10%, or ±10 mg/dl of laboratory values over 95% of the time, which is far beyond ISO 15197:2013 passing standard (within ±15% or ±15 mg/dl). The manufacturer is certified with CE mark, GMP, ISO 13485:2016, and ISO 15197:2013 without having any recall on the market in the past 14 years.
- CUTTING-EDGE TEST STRIPS. We use cutting-edge test strips enzymes for blood glucose measurements. Our test strips are produced with unique Automatic Carbon Printing Technique to ensure that the quality of each batch of strips could be relevantly much more stable, precise and accurate. Additionally, PROMISED 0.15USD/pcs would keep you no pressure to repurchase.
- KEEP TRACK OF DATA. Store your test results with time and date helps you track and manage your health while also keeping a continuous 7/14/30 average results. Automatic off means our device works longer without having to worry about wasting battery life.
- ALL IN ONE: 1 x AUVON DS-W Blood Glucose Monitor, 1 x battery, 50 x Blood Test Strips, 50 x 30 gauge Lancets, 1 x Lancing device, 1 x Meter User Guide, 1 x Test Strip User Guide, Our Exclusive Lifetime Warranty and Technical Support and Friendly Customer Service.
Last update on 2021-05-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API