Not all breads are bad for diabetics. What is the Best Bread for Diabetics? There are breads you can have as a diabetic. Bread has been recorded to be one of the ten most eaten foods in the world today. It has however been identified as one of the foods that pose a serious health risk to people living with diabetes. Let’s take a look:
Breads That Diabetics Can Have
Bread is often rich in carbohydrate and people with diabetes may wonder if they can consume it. Despite the high risk recorded with the consumption of bread due to its high sugar content by diabetes patients, it has been known as one of the most difficult food to give up.
Carbohydrates are present in many different kinds of food such as grains, desserts, and bread. They are energy giving food which is capable of releasing more sugar into the blood. It is difficult to give up carbs completely. But you should choose wisely.
In a real sense, it might be unrealistic and unnecessary to give up carbs. They are well known for their role in the elevation of blood sugar level and cause a serious health risk to the patient with diabetes challenges.
Bread is known to be a staple food which is prepared from a dough of flour and water, usually by baking. Recently, bread has been prepared by other various means and from several sources in other to reduce the quantity of sugar it contains. It is one of the prominent foods and one of the oldest man-made foods in the history of man.
Bread Formulation and Glycemic Index
Standard bread recipes are stated using the percentage formulation. The quantity of flour is assigned to be 100% and the other ingredients are expressed by the percentage of that quantity by weight. It is convenient to measure by weight than using volume, especially for dry ingredients.
The amount of water to flour is one of the most important measurements in bread recipes as it affects the texture and sugar content. About 62 percent of water is absorbed by hard wheat flour while 56 percent of water is absorbed by soft wheat flour.
It is important to know that most artisan bread formula contain about 60 to 70 percent of water. We experience softer and lighter bread with common table salt.
Flour is the key ingredient in bread making. It belongs to a carbohydrate class of food. Flour is a grain ground to a powdery constituency which provides the primary structure, protein, and starch to the baked bread. The quality of bread is a measure of the protein content.
Bread can be made from all-purpose wheat flour containing more protein. This type of bread is considered the best bread for diabetes patients. It contains about 12 to 14 percent protein which is the recommendation for a diabetes patient.
In addition to starch, wheat flour contains three water-soluble protein group (globulin, albumin, and protease) and two water-insoluble protein group (glutenin and gliadin). This makes wheat bread an ideal choice for diabetes patients.
Water, in addition to other liquids, is essential to form a paste or dough from flour. Although the liquid or water requirement varies among bread recipes. A ratio of 3 parts liquid to 5 parts four is common among commercial bread makers. Some recipes make use of liquids such as milk and other dairy products in addition to water. These types of bread are not strongly recommended for diabetes patients.
Fats, such as butter, lard, and vegetable oils, affect the improvement of gluten in bread by coating or lubricating the individual strands of protein. In addition to this, they also help to hold the structure of the bread constituent together.
Too much fat should not be included in bread dough to avoid splitting of the protein structure and increase in triglycerides content the bread. The greatest leavening action is achieved with a fat content of approximately 3 percent by weight in concentration.
Understandings Diabetes and Nutrition
In normal people, blood sugar levels are controlled within a narrow range of value. In the early morning after overnight fasting, the blood sugar level is low ranging between 80 and 90 mg/dl of blood. The blood sugar rises to 120-140 mg/dl between the first and second hour after a meal.
In normal persons, the blood sugar is adequately maintained despite lack of dietary sources. The blood sugar regulating mechanism is controlled through the liver and muscle by the influence of the pancreatic hormones called insulin and glucagon.
Insulin converts glucose to glycogen when there is a high level of glucose in the blood while glucagon converts glycogen to glucose when there is a need for glucose in the body system.
Insulin is the only hormone among all other hormones that reduce blood sugar level in the body. When there is a high level of blood glucose above normal in the body, diabetes is developed. This is what you want to prevent at all costs!
Types of Diabetes
Different types of diabetes can occur and the management depends on the type. Three major diabetes can develop in the body. These are type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, and gestational diabetes.
Type 1 diabetes: this type of diabetes develops when there is a deficiency in the production of insulin which is well for the conversion of glucose to glycogen in the body. In this condition, there is usually a high level of glucose in the body system. Patient living with this type of diabetes are usually given artificial insulin to stay alive and healthy.
Type 2 diabetes: this condition arises when the cells in the body do not respond to the action of insulin effectively. Unlike type 1 diabetes, there is a presence of insulin in the body but little or no response to its action by the cells and tissues of the body.
Gestational diabetes: as the name implies, this type occurs in pregnant women when the body responds to insulin action is low. It does not occur in all women so it is a less common type of diabetes.
Nutrition plays an important in maintaining diabetes be it type 1 or type 2. Daily dietary plan, lifestyle choices, and choice of drugs can increase or decrease the risk of diabetes. The type of food you consume, your lifestyle choices, and medication can assist in controlling and managing your blood sugar level.
One of the three major essential nutrients to human well-being is carbohydrate. It is well-known that carbohydrate giving food such as bread raises the blood sugar level and it is capable of increasing the risk of diabetes. Carbohydrate is broken down into sugar in the digestive tract and enter the bloodstream. It is invariably increased the level of blood sugar and aggravates the risk of diabetes
Despite the risk of carbohydrate in diabetes, it is unsafe to abstain completely from taking carbohydrate. However, the key to keeping blood sugar balance in the body is to take quality food. Quality carbohydrate foods are low or medium in glycemic index. This is important to remember when it comes to having diabetes healthy foods!
Glycemic index is a standard measure for comparing the way food raise sugar level with a reference food usually glucose (sugar). According to the American Diabetes Association, glucose which is choosing as the reference point for a glycemic index is rated 100.
Foods that rated 55 or less are considered as low glycemic-food. These low glycemic-food include 100 percent stone-ground whole wheat or pumpernickel bread, pasta, sweet potato, corn, Yan, Lima beans, peas, lentils, legumes, non-starchy vegetables, carrot, oatmeal, and most fruit.
Medium-glycemic foods are rated 56 to 69 and can be taken by diabetes patients. These medium glycemic food include whole wheat, rate, and pita bread; quick oats; brown, wild or basmati rice; and couscous.
High glycemic foods are rated 70 or more based on glucose standard. They include food that is made with refined grains such as bagels, pretzels, saltine, cracker, and white bread. Others include white rice, popcorn, pumpkin, melon, and pineapple.
Best Bread for Diabetics
Most of the bread that is available commercially contain refined white flour. These types of bread contain no fiber and it can increase the level of blood sugar. It is therefore not good for diabetes patients. It is advisable to check the label of each bread before consumption. Bread that is made of white flour or whole grain should be avoided by diabetes patients.
Below are three types of bread that are the diabetes-friendly and right option for diabetes patients
Fiber-enriched whole grain bread
Fiber is a class of carbohydrate that cannot be digested by the body system. The main function of fiber is to keep the bowel regular and also help to improve the feeling of fullness.
Medical researchers have shown that soluble fiber is capable of slowing the rate of digestion and reduces the level of blood sugar in the body.
Adding soluble fiber to bread lower the glycemic index. However, fiber-enriched whole grain bread is still relatively high in sugar content, so it should be consumed in moderation. On the rate of glycemic index, fiber is rated as medium-glycemic food. This makes it fit for consumption by diabetes patients.
Perhaps, the best choice for diabetes patients is a bread that contains no flour or grains. It is important to know that there is flourless sprouted-grain bread that is readily available commercially. They are a good source of fiber and aid bowel regulation. Although they are rich in carbohydrate, they lower the glycemic index and therefore fit for consumption by diabetes patients
Multi-grain sandwich bread
Although multi-grain sandwich bread is high in carbohydrate, it contains whole, unrefined grains that are high in natural fiber. The impact of carbohydrate on blood glucose is lessened due to the presence of the naturally occurring fiber in them.
Before you opt for this type of bread, it is important to check if the ingredients in it include oats, quinoa, whole-grain, wheat, brown rice, or buckwheat. These ingredients are crucial for a diabetes-friendly bread. Whole grains have a lower glycemic index than wheat flour.
So, What Is The Best Bread for Diabetics? You’ve got them now! These are very doable and will not raise your sugars, but be careful because you don’t want to overdo it because too much of anything is no good for you especially with diabetes. Choose wisely and carefully when it comes to bread!
Check Out Below the Best Way
to Lower Your Blood Sugar Fast!
Please share on social media below and forward this to others who need help and please leave any questions or comments you may have below. I would love to interact with you. Thank you for reading and I appreciate it!
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds.
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight loss and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Excellent Accuracy: metene TD-4116 blood glucose meter and strips are produced with industry-leading chips and biosensor, equipped with industry-leading technologies, conducive to get accurate and reliable measurements
- No Coding: The blood sugar meter gets into measure status automatically once insert the blood sugar test strip to the bottom of the slot, easy to use and easy to read with large display for the senior
- Fast and Reduce Pain: This blood glucose monitor takes just 7s and 0.7µl blood to get the glucose value; The lancing device has 5 depth options to minimize wound and reduce pain
- Better Data Management: This glucometer stores the newest 450 blood glucose values and display the continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average; the measurements could be exported with windows-based software; help you track and manage your blood glucose better
- Diabetes Testing Kit 207 Piece Set: 100 glucometer strips, 100 30G lancets, 1 blood sugar meter, 1 lancing device, 1 control solution, 2 batteries, 1 protective wallet and 1 user manual; Please feel free to contact us if any problem when using this Diabetes testing kit
- Support cardiovascular health & blood sugar levels with the PurePremium blood sugar support dietary supplement, which contains essential vitamins, minerals and herbs.
- Support healthy glucose metabolism by adding our all-natural heart health supplement to your diet. Our advanced cardiovascular support capsules contain cinnamon, mulberry, vitamin c, vitamin e, magnesium, zinc, licorice root extract and manganese.
- Support blood cholesterol levels and make sure that your heart is healthy and strong. Support healthy insulin function and bolster your immune system against harmful free radicals.
- Our easy-to-swallow capsules support healthy glucose levels and your metabolism at the same time.
- Formulated in the USA. Every PurePremium product comes from an inspected, and GMP certified facility right here in the USA.
- INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS. Insufficient blood applied to test strip will result in wrong readings. Please hold the lancing device firmly against your fingertip for enough sample. Watch our instructional videos in our listings to optimize your testing results. Our friendly customer support will always be here to answer your questions and help to resolve your concerns. (30 Day Money Back Guarantee)
- EXCEEDS INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS. AUVON BGMs can function within ±10%, or ±10 mg/dl of laboratory values over 95% of the time, which is far beyond ISO 15197:2013 passing standard (within ±15% or ±15 mg/dl). The manufacturer is certified with CE mark, GMP, ISO 13485:2016, and ISO 15197:2013 without having any recall on the market in the past 14 years.
- CUTTING-EDGE TEST STRIPS. We use cutting-edge test strips enzymes for blood glucose measurements. Our test strips are produced with unique Automatic Carbon Printing Technique to ensure that the quality of each batch of strips could be relevantly much more stable, precise and accurate. Additionally, PROMISED 0.15USD/pcs would keep you no pressure to repurchase.
- KEEP TRACK OF DATA. Store your test results with time and date helps you track and manage your health while also keeping a continuous 7/14/30 average results. Automatic off means our device works longer without having to worry about wasting battery life.
- ALL IN ONE: 1 x AUVON DS-W Blood Glucose Monitor, 1 x battery, 50 x Blood Test Strips, 50 x 30 gauge Lancets, 1 x Lancing device, 1 x Meter User Guide, 1 x Test Strip User Guide, Our Exclusive Lifetime Warranty and Technical Support and Friendly Customer Service.
Last update on 2021-05-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API