As the world consumes so many bananas, it is not surprising that people ask Are Bananas Good for Diabetes? Bananas help with diabetes and are one of the most widely consumed fruits in the world for a good reason. Eating them helps lower blood pressure and reduces the risk of cancer and asthma.
Are Bananas that Healthy?
Today, bananas are grown in at least 107 countries and rank fourth in the world’s food crops. Americans consume more bananas than apples and oranges.
Although treating a disease can be very challenging, diabetes is not a disease you have to endure. You can make simple changes to your daily life, reducing your weight and blood sugar levels. Even if diabetics should eat at least two servings of fruit a day, bananas are a healthy way to meet this requirement.
An ultra-small banana contains 8% of the daily value of potassium, which helps you control your blood pressure. It also gives you the daily value of 2 grams of fiber and 12% vitamin C. As long as you take care of them and consider their carbohydrate content in your daily meal plan, they can still be part of your diet.
Many people with diabetes find that the food they avoid is bananas because they are considered to be very high in sugar and calories, so this fruit should be avoided. However, this is not necessarily the case. In fact, bananas can be a very healthy food and are included in the diet of any diabetic patient for several reasons.
The key to remember is to pair it with a protein source or a fat source. Adding protein slows the rate at which sugar enters the bloodstream, ensuring that you don’t get sugar.
These are Why Bananas are not Food to Fear:
- Calorie control. First, bananas are a relatively low-calorie food, contrary to popular belief. A medium banana contains about 90 to 100 calories, and a large banana is slightly above it. Compare this to other foods you might be eating – a few slices of bread or bagels, it has very low calorie content.
- Rich in dietary fiber. Bananas are rich in dietary fiber. Fiber is an indigestible part of foods that diabetics need to help regulate blood sugar levels and help prevent spikes.
- Contains potassium. What is the next interesting point about bananas? They are rich in potassium: this is important because potassium helps to offset any sodium that may be in your diet, which can cause blood pressure readings to rise.
In general, the higher the potassium content in the diet, the less heart health problems. Most people need to add more potassium to their diet plan and reduce sodium. Bananas can help you do this.
- Very suitable for sports. Finally, bananas are an ideal pre-workout food. Eating them before you go to the gym, you will have a fast source of energy that won’t go away within 20 minutes of your session. This is because they contain the perfect mixture of complex carbohydrates (starch) and monosaccharides, which is what your body needs.
Remember these points and consider picking up the bananas the next time you go out shopping. They can indeed be part of any diabetes diet.
How Can Diabetics Eat Bananas Correctly?
The recommended amount of diabetic banana is an ultra-small banana with a banana length of no more than 6 inches. Bananas of this size contain 19 grams of carbohydrates, which is about one-third of the 45 to 60 grams of carbohydrates that can be consumed in most diabetics per meal.
Foods with low glycemic index cause blood sugar levels to rise to a lower level than foods with higher GI. A bit green banana has a lower GI than riper banana. If you eat bananas, this is a medium GI food that can be eaten with low glycemic index foods or foods that contain little or no carbohydrates, as this helps prevent blood sugar from soaring.
Foods with low GI include non-starchy vegetables,nuts and beans. Poultry, meat, eggs, fish, and cheese are a few examples of foods that contain very small amounts of carbohydrates. Fruits with lower glycemic index include raw apples, cherries and grapefruit, and fruits with higher GI include dried dates and watermelons.
Create your plate
The American Diabetes Association’s Create Your Plate method permits you to control your blood glucose without being concerned about calculating carbohydrates.
Fill your half of the plate with non-starch vegetables, then place the other half of the plate between lean protein and starchy food, add a glass of milk and a small piece of fruit. When using this system, you can use ultra-small bananas as the fruit for your meal.
It is as important to consume a consistent amount of carbohydrates throughout the day to maintain blood sugar levels as the total amount of carbohydrates consumed by diabetics. People with diabetes also need to consume some protein and fat every meal to help keep blood sugar levels no higher than the carbohydrates in the diet.
Bananas: Delicious, Nutritious and Healthy
For a single fruit, this analysis may seem overkill, but the banana is ultimately worth it. In addition to being beneficial to diabetes, bananas have other benefits. Banana is an important source of fiber, vitamin B6, vitamin C, and potassium, and overall calorie content is low.
This mixture of nutrients can improve mood and immune function and even relieve blood pressure. Potassium is especially interesting because bananas are one of the best sources of this nutrient, and many people simply don’t get enough nutrients.
It is worth noting that although bananas may have a higher glycemic index than other fruits, they are still in the range of hypoglycemic foods; after all, a piece of bread has a higher GI than bananas. As long as you track your blood sugar and understand the effects of bananas on your body’s diabetes, there is no reason why you can’t enjoy one of the most popular fruits in the country.
Facts About Bananas:
- Bananas are rich in potassium and fiber.
- They may help prevent asthma, cancer, high blood pressure, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and digestive problems.
- Boil the bananas at room temperature, add the cereal, and enjoy a delicious breakfast.
- People who use beta blockers should not suddenly increase their banana intake.
- Fresh bananas are served all year round. Unlike other fruits, the ripening process of bananas does not slow down after harvesting. Bananas should be stored at room temperature.
- The higher the temperature, the faster and more ripe the banana. However, in order to slow down the ripening, the banana should be refrigerated. The skin of the banana will darken, but the banana itself will remain longer.
- To promote faster maturity, place the bananas in brown paper bags at room temperature.
The possible health benefits associated with bananas are listed below. It is worth noting that higher quality studies are needed before these health benefit links are proven to be deterministic.
Bananas are rich in potassium and are rich in protein and dietary fiber. Bananas are rich in potassium minerals. This mineral is important because it helps maintain fluid levels in the body and regulates the movement of nutrients and waste into and out of the cell.
Potassium also contributes to muscle contraction and nerve cell response. It can make the heart beat regularly and reduce the effect of sodium on blood pressure. With age, potassium can reduce the risk of kidney stone formation. In turn, healthy kidneys ensure that the right amount of potassium remains in the body.
A medium-sized banana contains 422 mg of potassium. It is best to try to take potassium from dietary sources such as bananas.
A banana is considered to be about 126 grams. A banana contains 110 calories, 30 grams of carbohydrates and 1 gram of protein. Bananas are naturally free of fat, cholesterol and sodium
Bananas offer a variety of vitamins and minerals:
Vitamin B6 – 0.5 mg
Manganese – 0.3 mg
Vitamin C – 9 mg
Potassium – 450 mg
Dietary Fiber – 3g
Protein – 1 gram
Magnesium – 34 mg
Folic acid – 25.0 mcg
Riboflavin – 0.1 mg
Niacin – 0.8 mg
Vitamin A – 81 IU
Iron – 0.3 mg
Adults are advised to consume 4,700 mg of potassium per day. Add chopped bananas to the cereal or oatmeal in the morning for a more nutritious breakfast.
In 2008, a popular diet was called the breakfast banana diet. It is recommended to eat bananas with water in the morning, eat normal lunches, and have dinner before 8pm.
Like applesauce, mature mashed bananas can be used in baked goods instead of oil or butter. Minced bananas provide a moisturizing, natural sweetness to muffins, biscuits and cakes.
More Reasons to go Bananas:
Bananas contain several other nutrients. A medium one will give you a lot of nutrition that you should get every day. It also plays an important role during development and infancy. Although citrus fruits such as oranges are giants, so are bananas. One gives you about 10 mg. You should shoot for 75 to 90 mg per day.
- Beta-blockers are one of the most commonly used drugs for the treatment of heart disease and can cause an increase in potassium in the blood. When taking beta-blockers, you should take high-potassium foods such as bananas in moderation.
- Excessive potassium intake is harmful to people with impaired kidney function. If your kidneys are unable to remove excess potassium from the blood, it can be fatal.
- Some people may be allergic to bananas. If people with banana allergies eat bananas, they may have symptoms of mouth and throat, such as itching, hives, swelling and wheezing.
- Bananas can cause migraine in some people. People who have frequent migraines are recommending eating no more than half a banana a day.
- Bananas also contain a lot of fiber. Eating too much fiber can cause bloating, gas and stomach cramps.
Warnings and Tips
- Try to avoid eating bananas as part of a dessert, such as sundaes, chocolate bananas, or bananas made with other sugary syrups. Desserts like this increase carbohydrates, calories and fat in the diet.
- You can enjoy bananas in a variety of ways, such as fresh, frozen, canned or dried, so this gives you less dietary restrictions.
Can I eat bananas if I have diabetes? The simple answer is yes! People with diabetes only need to adjust their intake. Take ordinary bananas as an example. Although diabetics can have fruit, as long as they are aware of glucose levels, bananas will have significantly higher levels of glucose and carbohydrates.
Eating bananas and expecting an apple-like effect can lead to unnecessary spikes in blood sugar and, in the worst case, a high blood sugar episode. It is for this reason that some people with diabetes do not encourage eating bananas, but the fact is that they can be eaten safely. This requires a little caution.
Yes, they are high in sugar content compared to many other fruits, but they are also a very famous food that will allow you to eat for a long time. The reason is the fiber content – up to 7% per 100 grams of daily recommended amount (DRA).
Even for people with diabetes, bananas are a useful and delicious food. They are pre-packaged in useful biodegradable packaging (skin) that can be baked as is, or placed in a cake or bread to increase the natural sweetness.
While some may tell you that they are too sweet for diabetics, keep in mind that even a large banana containing about 114 calories, 27.8 carbohydrates and 25.1 grams of sugar is better for you than a standard candy bar with 27.9 carbohydrates, 27.8 Sugar and a whooping 260 calories.
So the question is: Are Bananas Good for Diabetes? Oh yes, they definitely are! So because their glycemic index level is 51, they are considered low in raising blood sugars. So eat your bananas, but just don’t overdo it!
Check Out Below the Best Way
to Lower Your Blood Sugar Fast!
Please share on social media below and forward this to others who need help and please leave any questions or comments you may have below. I would love to interact with you. Thank you for reading and I appreciate it!
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds.
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight loss and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Excellent Accuracy: metene TD-4116 blood glucose meter and strips are produced with industry-leading chips and biosensor, equipped with industry-leading technologies, conducive to get accurate and reliable measurements
- No Coding: The blood sugar meter gets into measure status automatically once insert the blood sugar test strip to the bottom of the slot, easy to use and easy to read with large display for the senior
- Fast and Reduce Pain: This blood glucose monitor takes just 7s and 0.7µl blood to get the glucose value; The lancing device has 5 depth options to minimize wound and reduce pain
- Better Data Management: This glucometer stores the newest 450 blood glucose values and display the continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average; the measurements could be exported with windows-based software; help you track and manage your blood glucose better
- Diabetes Testing Kit 207 Piece Set: 100 glucometer strips, 100 30G lancets, 1 blood sugar meter, 1 lancing device, 1 control solution, 2 batteries, 1 protective wallet and 1 user manual; Please feel free to contact us if any problem when using this Diabetes testing kit
- Support cardiovascular health & blood sugar levels with the PurePremium blood sugar support dietary supplement, which contains essential vitamins, minerals and herbs.
- Support healthy glucose metabolism by adding our all-natural heart health supplement to your diet. Our advanced cardiovascular support capsules contain cinnamon, mulberry, vitamin c, vitamin e, magnesium, zinc, licorice root extract and manganese.
- Support blood cholesterol levels and make sure that your heart is healthy and strong. Support healthy insulin function and bolster your immune system against harmful free radicals.
- Our easy-to-swallow capsules support healthy glucose levels and your metabolism at the same time.
- Formulated in the USA. Every PurePremium product comes from an inspected, and GMP certified facility right here in the USA.
- INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS. Insufficient blood applied to test strip will result in wrong readings. Please hold the lancing device firmly against your fingertip for enough sample. Watch our instructional videos in our listings to optimize your testing results. Our friendly customer support will always be here to answer your questions and help to resolve your concerns. (30 Day Money Back Guarantee)
- EXCEEDS INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS. AUVON BGMs can function within ±10%, or ±10 mg/dl of laboratory values over 95% of the time, which is far beyond ISO 15197:2013 passing standard (within ±15% or ±15 mg/dl). The manufacturer is certified with CE mark, GMP, ISO 13485:2016, and ISO 15197:2013 without having any recall on the market in the past 14 years.
- CUTTING-EDGE TEST STRIPS. We use cutting-edge test strips enzymes for blood glucose measurements. Our test strips are produced with unique Automatic Carbon Printing Technique to ensure that the quality of each batch of strips could be relevantly much more stable, precise and accurate. Additionally, PROMISED 0.15USD/pcs would keep you no pressure to repurchase.
- KEEP TRACK OF DATA. Store your test results with time and date helps you track and manage your health while also keeping a continuous 7/14/30 average results. Automatic off means our device works longer without having to worry about wasting battery life.
- ALL IN ONE: 1 x AUVON DS-W Blood Glucose Monitor, 1 x battery, 50 x Blood Test Strips, 50 x 30 gauge Lancets, 1 x Lancing device, 1 x Meter User Guide, 1 x Test Strip User Guide, Our Exclusive Lifetime Warranty and Technical Support and Friendly Customer Service.
Last update on 2021-05-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API