Omega 3 Fatty Acids and Diabetes are linked because they are extremely beneficial for diabetics. You’ve heard about omega-3 fatty acids many times before I’m sure. There are many foods high omega-3 fatty acids. But there are so many good reasons everyone talks about and writes about them. It’s because they are THAT healthy for you. I also want to help you lower your blood sugar if you have diabetes and the best way to accomplish this is by natural methods. We need them in our diet to get and stay healthy.
Omega 3 Fatty Acids-Diabetes
From here on in and through the rest of my article, I will sometimes refer omega-3 fatty acids as O-3’s, just so you know. I don’t want to keep repeating myself. For years I’ve read about O-3’s and how good they are for you. I don’t think most folks get anywhere near enough O-3’s as they should. I know that I never did. I’m sure many of us just like the sugary junk foods that all our names and taste so good. But eventually it catches up with you and like myself, you’re diagnosed with diabetes. This is serious and must be controlled and reversed.
Why are O-3’s exceptionally important? They are the first step in manufacturing hormones that control blood clotting, inflammation, and the relaxation and contraction of the walls of your arteries. In addition, O-3’s have been proven to be a role in the prevention against eczema, lupus, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and cancer.
Our bodies are capable of producing many of the fats that it requires, but O-3’s are one of them. And these are essential fats that our bodies really need. So we must get them from the foods that we eat. Some of the foods that are high in omega-3 fatty acids are green leafy vegetables, vegetable oils, flaxseed oil, fish, and nuts. Walnuts happen to contain the most O-3’s.
People who happen to be type 2 diabetic and have lower amounts of the good cholesterol HDL and triglycerides, known as the bad fats, makes them more of a risk to suffer a stroke or heart attack. Omega 3 fatty acids are successful in raising the good cholesterol and lowering the triglyceride levels. This now decreases the risk of stroke and heart attack in these people with type 2 diabetes.
Heart disease, cholesterol, and O-3’s
Coronary heart disease can be prevented as can a lot of diseases just by the food we eat. In the United States, we are consuming too much fat. Most of us are aware that it’s not healthy to eat some of the foods we eat. But it’s time that we put our health ahead of our “tastes.”
Because most of the eating the wrong foods is just that, the taste. But there are other factors too. One of them is emotional eating. This happens to be a big time problem. I know I’ve been guilty of it.
We are supposed to eat to live, not live to eat. Just stop and think about what all these fatty foods are doing to you. For some of us, maybe it takes a visit to the doctor and a wakeup call to light a fire under our butts to get moving and change things. It certainly shouldn’t come to this point. I don’t think anyone wants to be overweight and in bad health. Everything starts with one change at a time. Let’s take the first step at least. It’s a new beginning!
Not having the omega-3 fatty acids can lead us down the road to high cholesterol, heart disease, and overall bad health. You don’t want to go down these roads. Do you know your cholesterol numbers? Have you visited the doctor to have your labs done? Okay, this isn’t a lecture because I’ve been down those roads myself.
I only want you to be aware and be healthy. I’ve had people help me in the past and I am always grateful because I feel that gratitude should be a strong point in every person. So I believe in paying it forward and I want to help you just as I was helped.
Omega-3 fatty acids can help lower your risk of coronary heart disease by:
- Decreasing your blood pressure
- Helping keep your triglycerides down
- Lessening the clogging of your blood vessels by controlling the growing rate of plaque
- Aiding to stop blood vessels from forming blood clots by preventing inflammation in the vessels
- Making your risk lower from the possibility from an abnormal heart rhythm (this can lead to cardiac death)
I’m sure that you have heard of the American Heart Association? Well, they recommend that if you’re healthy, you should be consuming fatty fish at least two times a week. You need foods that contain a very important acid called alpha- linolenic acid in your diet.
Not getting too technical here, it’s just one of the O-3’s that you need and must get from food. It is mostly found in canola oil, flaxseed, and walnuts. Nuts are very health for you. Just watch the calories. They do have a lot of calories if you eat too many. So count your calories wisely.
Foods extremely high in Omega-3’s
- Salmon. It contains very high standard protein and multiple and large quantities of B vitamins, potassium, magnesium, and selenium.(4000 mg each serving) I have wild salmon twice a week.
- Flaxseeds. They contain the most of the O-3’s of any food source. Flaxseeds are another food very high in vitamin E, magnesium, and loaded with fiber.(2500 mg each serving) I sprinkle flaxseeds on my salad all the time.
- Soybeans. Great source of fiber. They contain very high amounts of folate, magnesium, vitamin K, and potassium. (1200 mg each serving)
- Sardines. They are very small fish that are very healthy for you. Just about every nutrient your body needs is found in sardines.(2000 mg each serving)
- Chia seeds. These are loaded with nutrients too. Once again, chi seeds are packed with calcium, phosphorus, and manganese.(24 grams serving) These are great on my salads as well.
- Oysters. Just like salmon, oysters are about the healthiest food you can have. They have vitamin B12, copper, and more zinc than any other food source. These are eaten as appetizers, a fill in snack, or a whole meal.
- Spinach. Spinach is my favorite vegetable and I always thank watching Popeye when I was growing up!
- Mackerel. Contain vitamin B12, selenium, and very rich in nutrients. (4000 mg each serving)
Other sources of Omega-3 fatty acids
Nuts and grains:
- Pastas and breads
- Packaged pizza
- Pumpkin seeds
- Peanut butter
- Mustard oil
- Soybean oil
- Canola oil
- Flaxseed oil
- Brussel sprouts
Caution about Omega-3’s and fish
While O-3’s are great and healthy for you, they can be harmful if you’re getting too much. As the saying goes, ” Too much of anything is no good.” So you don’t want more than three grams of O-3’s a day. For one thing it may increase your chances of bleeding. Be aware!
Here’s the comparison: 1000 mg= 1 gram. So you want to stay under 3,000-4000 mg then. It’s better to be safe than sorry. Know what is in what you’re eating so you don’t overdo it. Read labels on everything! It’s important!
Fish is the best that you can eat as far as O-3’s and your health. But I think we’ve all heard about mercury in fish and how harmful it can be. So you have to be cautious about having too much. I eat tuna and salmon about two times a week. You may have different choices but just choose wisely. Just don’t eat fish seven times a week! You don’t want to overdo it.
More health benefits of Omega-3 fatty acids
- Omega-3 fatty acids may improve the health of your eyes. A type of O-3 is DHA. This is a vital structural part of the retina of your eye and your brain. You may start to develop vision issues without enough DHA. And also by getting sufficient amounts has been researched to show that there is less of a chance of developing macular degeneration. This is the leading cause of impairing your vision and blindness. I don’t know about you, but my eyes are bout the most important if not THE important thing to me.
- Improvement of mental disorders. Studies showed that people who have had psychiatric problems had much lower Omega-3’s. By taking O-3 supplements, they were able to decreases the amount of times when people would experience mood swings and have them keep recurring. This happened with those individuals with both bipolar, violent behavior, and schizophrenia. I sure wouldn’t want to experience anything like these conditions. It is a LOT easier to just make certain that I’m getting DHA and enough O-3’s to try and at least avoid them.
- Possibly improve the health of joint and bone health. You can have a decreased risk of osteoporosis because the strength of your bones can benefit from O-3’s. You want to avoid osteoporosis and arthritis which affect your entire skeletal system. This is not a good situation.
- O-3’s are very good for your skin which is the largest organ your body has. That’s a lot of area to cover and it can be kept healthy by using O-3’s to protect your skin from damage from the sun, keeping your skin from premature aging, managing the production of oil in your skin, helping to prevent acne, and helping to hydrate your skin.
- Sleeping issues. If your levels of Omega 3 are low, you may experience issue with sleeping. Melatonin is a hormone that aids in sleep. If your DHA levels are low, your levels of melatonin will be as well and therefore you’ll have issues with sleeping. Being deprived of sleep can add to many other health problems including diabetes, obesity, and depression.
- Inflammation. This is a big one. Inflammation is crucial to fix and repair issues in the body and to fight off infections. But what you don’t want is chronic, long-term inflammation because this can lead to many serious diseases. Nobody wants to have this happen and because omega-3 fatty acids are able to decrease the inflammation caused by certain substances, there’s a much less chance of this occurring.
- O-3’s are responsible for encouraging the development and growth of the brain in infants and throughout the early stages of life. It’s been studied that feeding an infant that has DHA fortified formula result in a much better eyesight than infants that had formula without it. Were you also aware that women who get sufficient amounts of O-3’s, help to benefit their child and the child has problems with behavior, a lower chance of development that is delayed, has better social skills, communication, and a higher intelligence?
- Omega-3 fatty acids have also been shown to reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s disease and mental decline related to aging.
- O-3’s have shown to have at least some effect with treatment of children with autism.
My final thoughts
Omega 3 Fatty Acids and Diabetes are common because the Omega 3’s are so beneficial in treating diabetes. I always say that everyone makes their own decisions about things in life. After all, we are responsible for ourselves, right? Sometimes things just make sense as to whether to do or not do. I’m not offering any medical advice here because I’m not a doctor. Your decisions should be between you and your doctor. My goal here is to help you understand just how important omega-3 fatty acids are for you.
You can lower your blood sugar with omega 3 fatty acids in foods, but your numbers may still be too high and if they are this is what works best!
If you learned even one thing, then I was successful in what I set out to accomplish here. If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below. I’d love to get back to you and discuss further. I appreciate it and I thank you for your time. Have a happy and healthy!
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Rothchild, Sascha (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 336 Pages - 04/19/2022 (Publication Date) - G.P. Putnam's Sons (Publisher)
- ✅ QUICK AND EASY TO USE: Care Touch blood sugar test kit delivers results in only 5 seconds with just a 0.5µL blood sample. There is no programming needed since our blood sugar monitor kit automatically recognizes batch codes encrypted on Care Touch glucose test strips. Our state-of-the-art glucometer kit with strips and lancets includes single-touch strip ejection, so you can hygienically remove used diabetic test strips.
- ✅ EASY DIABETIC MONITORING: The blood sugar monitor kit with strips is capable of saving up to 300 readings. The blood glucose test kit also provides a continuous 14-day average of your readings, making glucose monitoring easy for you and your healthcare provider.
- ✅ PORTABLE AND HASSLE-FREE: The diabetic testing kit comes with a handy glucometer case, which means you can check your blood sugar level at home or anywhere else while staying organized. The 10-depth lancing device and lancets will help make blood sugar testing almost painless and hassle-free.
- ✅ COMPLETE DIABETIC SET: The glucose meter kit with strips and lancets includes: (1) Care Touch Blood Sugar Meter, (100) Blood Glucose Test Strips for diabetes, (1) Lancing Device, (100) Lancets for diabetes testing, (1) 3 Volt Lithium Battery, (1) Glucose meter case for your blood sugar tester and diabetic supplies
- ✅ WE CARE BECAUSE YOU CARE: You care about your health, and we care about you. Care Touch is committed to providing the best quality blood glucose monitoring systems. Our care doesn’t end when your sugar tester diabetes kit arrives at your door. We’re fully dedicated to your satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns about your glucose monitor kit with strips and lancets - contact us at any time.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- PUREHEALTH RESEARCH - Blood Sugar Formula 3 Bottles
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- A DOCTOR-APPROVED NATURAL FORMULA. Seventeen potent ingredients, each scientifically proven to have a significant effect at helping balance your glucose levels, improve glucose sensitivity, protect delicate cells from free radicals, and energy
- HIGH POTENCY. PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help you support healthy blood glucose levels
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: supports healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency support for 365 days a year; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health; daily support for healthy blood glucose levels, 365 days a year
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
Last update on 2022-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
10 thoughts on “Omega 3 Fatty Acids and Diabetes – Very Beneficial for You”
Thank you for this awesome and detail post about the benefits of consuming omega-3 rich food.
I had been looking for good sources of omega-3, other than from fish and this site did not disappoint me. I know more about it thanks to you!
I will pass on this information to others.
Cheers! Well done!
Omega 3-‘s are so important and people should know what they do for you and how to get them since our body doesn’t make them. And although fish are the top source of omega-3’s, there are other sources to get them from in case you’re not a big fish eater. Thank you Wilson!
Hi Rob. You are so right when you say that no one wants to be overweight and in bad health. We normally don’t start out that way and especially when it comes to weight. It takes a long time to get to the obese stage. With people living hectic lifestyles sitting down to a balanced meal every night may just not be plausible. You have provided some options for people eating on the run such as yogurt, salmon, pumpkin seeds and sardines.
I do have a couple of questions. Under Nuts and grain you have bread – does this refer to any type of bread or just the multi grain type and also flour does this mean just ordinary white flour?
I’m like you I love flax seeds on my salad. They are so tiny it would be hard to just eat them on their own.
Thanks for the great information.
Hi Maureen! Yes it’s true that we don’t get obese overnight and that also means we don’t get thin overnight either. There are so many different reasons for not eating healthy and that still doesn’t change the fact that we aren’t healthy inside or out. Omega 3’s are so important for our health and it’s something that we should have and change to eating now.
In answer to your question about the type of bread and the flour? Depending on what you’re looking at, these could have omega-3’s added to them, but it’s better to have the multi grain bread and even better yet to get the omega-3’s from the fish and other choices that have a lot of omega-3’s in them. I always avoid white breads and flour especially when there are better options.
Wow! Thank you for this wealth of information on the benefits of Omega-3’s in our diet. There’s so much that I didn’t realize these fatty acids do for us– like how important they are for the maintenance eyesight, sleep, and overall brain health! I’ll definitely be incorporating more of these Omega-3-rich foods into my diet.
The whole medical world is always talking about omega-3 fatty acids and how important they are for us. I’ve mentioned this quite a few times before and it’s true: Food is medicine. It’s mainly about what we eat that either keeps us going or shuts us down. Omega-3’s have so many benefits in addition to eyesight, sleep, and brain health. We should all be taking advantage of them for sure. Thanks Ciara!
I enjoyed reading your article so much. Yeah, I’ve heard of Omega 3 Fatty Acids before but I never really stopped to consider all the benefits it provides.
High blood sugar is so common not only among older people but even among the middle-aged (and children too), and so is high blood pressure so having some natural means to manage these illnesses will really help these people. And like what they say, information is power so thanks for this valuable information. Omega 3 Fatty Acid rich foods are also great sources of Vitamin D.
“Too much of anything is no good,” I agree so we also have to take O-3’s according to our body’s requirements.
I like to talk about omega-3 fatty acids because of how important they are but also because of how it relates to diabetes and the whole point of my website about natural ways to lower your blood sugar. By eating properly and getting the omega-3’s we need, it helps in controlling our blood sugar while at the same time helping our bodies fight against other diseases. Thanks Alice!
Wow, this is a really in-depth look at Omega-3 fatty acids!
Based on the list of Omega-3 rich food sources, I’m glad I like a number of items, like salmon and spinach, etc. Alternatively, I could take supplements?
And there are SO many health benefits. Looks like Omega-3 would help me with my mental health and sleep problems.
I’m going to shop for Omega-3 to include in my diet right now.
~ Girl @ girlintherapy
Yes there’s a lot to know about omega 3 fatty acids. And they happen to be in a lot of foods that we eat. But sometimes it’s not foods that we like.
That’s when you can take supplements. It’s always better to get omega 3’s from foods first. Yes, omega 3’s will help you with sleeping and your mental health as well.
They are about the healthiest sources for your health. Happy shopping girl!