It has been proven that milk thistle could help manage diabetes by treating insulin resistance. Medical experts suggested that milk thistle, combined with traditional treatment, can improve diabetes. The study shows a decrease in blood sugar levels and an improvement in cholesterol in people with type 2 diabetes. Does Milk Thistle Help With Diabetes?
Milk Thistle and Diabetes
Several scientific studies prove its efficiency in the cure for hepatitis, cirrhosis, and protection from liver damage. It has also been of great help to combat cancer and high cholesterol as well as diabetes. Silymarin is known to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which helps the liver to grow new cells and repair the old.
In recent times, people have been finding alternative ways to prevent or treat illnesses including diabetes. The reason is that most synthetic medicines have a higher rate of causing undesirable side effects.
If you are one of those people who would want a safer, yet equally effective way to manage one’s health, a daily dose of milk thistle extract is just for you. Give it a try, but I would check with your doctor in case you’re leery.
Milk thistle also is known as Silymarin, which is a flowering plant that belongs to the daisy family. This plant is plentiful in certain regions of Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East. Just like any other plant that belongs to this genus, milk thistles have a tall erect stem. It has a large alternate leaf which has waxy parts with thorny points.
Besides the folks, there is science behind this plant and diabetes treatment. This supplement offers a guard against diabetes and diabetes-related complications, such as kidney damage and blood vessel damage. Moreover, it is rich in antioxidants which might assist in the treatment of diabetes. It was discovered in an animal study which indicated that the supplement slowed the progression of diabetic nephropathy in rats.
Another research which included people with type 2 diabetes who for four months participated by including a supplement containing silymarin along with their conventional drug routine. This group of people showed a marked decrease in total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol. Their blood sugar levels appeared to be better regulated when using the milk thistle extract.
Also, there is yet another useful application of milk thistle which may be of help in skin-cancer prevention. If you apply it to the skin in combination with sunscreen it was shown to produce antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and immune system regulating properties. Furthermore, the herb showed an ability to inhibit several tumor-promoters involved in skin cancer growth.
Milk Thistle extract originated from the plant’s seeds. The extract which is gotten from the seeds has high medicinal value. As a complex mixture of polyphenolic molecules, has been clinically proven to treat type II diabetes when taken at high doses. Additionally, milk thistle is said to treat patients diagnosed with hepatitis C at an even higher dose. But taking high doses of this supplement would require a doctor’s order as it could cause some adverse reactions.
However, if you want to take it as a daily supplement, an average of 420 to 480 mg per day is recommended. As the key element in cell membranes, phosphatidylcholine helps milk thistle attach easily to cell membranes. This helps to keep toxins away from entering liver cells.
Milk thistle plant benefits the liver because it produces a hepatoprotective effect by stimulating ribonucleic acid (RNA) and deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) mixture and scavenges pro-oxidant free radicals and increase the intracellular concentration of glutathione, a substance needed to detoxify hepatic cell reactions, therefore altering the outer membrane of the hepatic cells.
Also, it is said to exert an anti-inflammatory effect on the platelets. Whether you may or may not totally understand the details, the bottom line which is important is that milk thistle is very beneficial for your liver and that’s what matters, especially when you have diabetes.
Theoretical studies prove that this plant may lower blood sugar levels, so people with diabetes, hypoglycemia, and those taking medications or supplements that affect blood sugar levels should be very careful when using it. It has been established that milk thistle can reduce the effectiveness of oral contraceptives.
The constituent of this herb or plant can slow down an enzyme called beta-glucuronides, which is involved in the activity of oral contraceptives. To be safe one should always consult the doctor as to how much milk thistle you should intake! Be cautious please!
Because of such action in the body, milk thistle extract is used to prevent, treat, or delay the progress of liver dysfunction including damage caused by acute viral hepatitis or long-term phenothiazine use, dyspepsia, spleen disorders, and gallbladder disorders.
One particular health benefit of milk thistle includes a decrease of increased total and high-density lipoprotein levels and as an antidote for Amanita mushroom poisoning. Additional claims include: as an oral steroid for bodybuilders, helps to control blood cholesterol levels, reducing the resistance of diabetic patients to insulin, slows the progress of cancer, and it reduces liver damage caused by exposure to chemo drugs. The set of latter claims though that it does require more evidence to establish its accuracy.
It is safe to take milk thistle extract that has been processed to a tablet or as a part of an ingredient of a food supplement. However, as soon as you see some allergic reactions when taking thistle milk supplements, stop it immediately and consult your doctor. Milk thistle extract to babies is not yet established, hence extra protections should be made when giving the said plant extract to women who are pregnant or lactating because of the safety of!
Milk Thistle does not harm the liver, instead it protects your liver. Its’ extract might reduce the risk of death and improve liver function in people with cirrhosis according to experts. However, milk thistle extract does not seem to benefit all patients with liver disease, but only kidney disease in people with diabetes.
Other Benefits of Milk Thistle:
It is of great importance to know other health benefits of milk thistle that we can benefit from milk thistle targeting other vital organs in the body. This is vital for your health. Here now are the other health benefits of milk thistle that you may be hearing for the first time:
Diabetes and Its’ Complications
Recent researches found out that milk thistle has the ability to inhibit aldose reductase. The enzyme aldose reductase is responsible for the deposition of sugar in the eyes of diabetics. This will eventually progress to diabetic retinopathy.
The ability of silymarin to scavenge free radicals is protective in nature against diabetic retinopathy caused by excess sugars in the eyes. Your eyes and vision are so important that you need to protect them in every way you can.
Gallbladder and Gallstones
The silymarin in milk thistle has been found to help promote the flow of bile by increasing its solubility. This is beneficial in treating or preventing gallstones. Whenever the flow of bile is increased, the chances of developing a gallstone are decreased. Studies have also shown that taking milk thistle has resulted in a pronounced reduction of cholesterol in the bile.
Gallbladder problems and gallstones are not something you want to experience. I had pain from my gallbladder and had to have it removed. Milk thistle may have helped me before I began to develop gallbladder issues.
Few people understand the liver’s role in weight reduction. Boosting liver function is badly neglected in virtually all weight loss programs. The liver is the primary organ involved in purifying the blood of impurities and in metabolizing fat. With silymarin’s boosting action on the liver, metabolism of fat will be faster and it will be of great help in losing weight.
Most of the breast tumors are directly related to the hormone estrogen. According to studies, when the liver is functioning properly, bad forms of estrogen can be filtered from the body. The silymarin of milk thistle controls the risk of estrogen-related diseases like breast tumors.
The women’s estrogen and progesterone peaks and valleys are bringing different tumors in the women’s reproductive organs including the uterus and ovaries. The ability of milk thistle to regulate hormonal imbalance as to estrogen helps in preventing the said diseases.
Psoriasis and Skin Itchiness
We already know that the liver filters the toxins present in our blood. We also know that the skin is the largest organ in the body and is a very important organ of detoxification. Psoriasis has been linked to certain toxic substances which circulate throughout the bloodstream.
There is some evidence to suggest that abnormal liver function may play a role in the development of psoriasis. The itchiness, on the other hand, is also related to the blood toxins being removed through the skin.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
There are many possible pathologies to be considered in a person with chronic fatigue syndrome. Psychological factors like depression and anxiety play crucial, but medical problems are equally important. Studies discovered that chronic fatigue syndrome can be due to a poorly functioning liver.
If a liver is damaged, the immune system is compromised causing infections and toxins in our bloodstream. That’s another reason why milk thistle is important for your liver.
Unhealthy Eating Habits and Lifestyle
Many of us eat diets that are too high in fat and protein, take over-the-counter or prescription drugs, and routinely expose ourselves to radiation and other pollutants. We seldom exercise and are very much stressed. All of these can damage the liver and can cause serious health problems.
Taking care of our liver by taking milk thistle as a supplement in our daily diet can have a huge impact on our immune system and our natural healing and defensive capacities. With a healthy liver, our body is well protected and we can enjoy a happy and fulfilling life.
Milk Thistle Side Effects
The side effects are a part of any medication that cannot be overlooked. Milk thistle side effects include indigestion, headache, and itching. People with known allergies to daisy flower, artichokes, kiwis, common thistle might also be allergic to milk thistle.
Other side effects of milk thistle include:
Does Milk Thistle Help With Diabetes? Milk thistle can help lower your blood sugars and help with your type 2 diabetes. And an important thing to remember is that milk thistle is also beneficial for your liver and that is going to help you with your diabetes as well. Helping your liver is an additional benefit!
Check Out Below the Best Way
to Lower Your Blood Sugar Fast!
Please share on social media below and forward this to others who need help and please leave any questions or comments you may have below. I would love to interact with you. Thank you for reading and I appreciate it!
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds.
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight loss and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Excellent Accuracy: metene TD-4116 blood glucose meter and strips are produced with industry-leading chips and biosensor, equipped with industry-leading technologies, conducive to get accurate and reliable measurements
- No Coding: The blood sugar meter gets into measure status automatically once insert the blood sugar test strip to the bottom of the slot, easy to use and easy to read with large display for the senior
- Fast and Reduce Pain: This blood glucose monitor takes just 7s and 0.7µl blood to get the glucose value; The lancing device has 5 depth options to minimize wound and reduce pain
- Better Data Management: This glucometer stores the newest 450 blood glucose values and display the continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average; the measurements could be exported with windows-based software; help you track and manage your blood glucose better
- Diabetes Testing Kit 207 Piece Set: 100 glucometer strips, 100 30G lancets, 1 blood sugar meter, 1 lancing device, 1 control solution, 2 batteries, 1 protective wallet and 1 user manual; Please feel free to contact us if any problem when using this Diabetes testing kit
- Support cardiovascular health & blood sugar levels with the PurePremium blood sugar support dietary supplement, which contains essential vitamins, minerals and herbs.
- Support healthy glucose metabolism by adding our all-natural heart health supplement to your diet. Our advanced cardiovascular support capsules contain cinnamon, mulberry, vitamin c, vitamin e, magnesium, zinc, licorice root extract and manganese.
- Support blood cholesterol levels and make sure that your heart is healthy and strong. Support healthy insulin function and bolster your immune system against harmful free radicals.
- Our easy-to-swallow capsules support healthy glucose levels and your metabolism at the same time.
- Formulated in the USA. Every PurePremium product comes from an inspected, and GMP certified facility right here in the USA.
- INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS. Insufficient blood applied to test strip will result in wrong readings. Please hold the lancing device firmly against your fingertip for enough sample. Watch our instructional videos in our listings to optimize your testing results. Our friendly customer support will always be here to answer your questions and help to resolve your concerns. (30 Day Money Back Guarantee)
- EXCEEDS INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS. AUVON BGMs can function within ±10%, or ±10 mg/dl of laboratory values over 95% of the time, which is far beyond ISO 15197:2013 passing standard (within ±15% or ±15 mg/dl). The manufacturer is certified with CE mark, GMP, ISO 13485:2016, and ISO 15197:2013 without having any recall on the market in the past 14 years.
- CUTTING-EDGE TEST STRIPS. We use cutting-edge test strips enzymes for blood glucose measurements. Our test strips are produced with unique Automatic Carbon Printing Technique to ensure that the quality of each batch of strips could be relevantly much more stable, precise and accurate. Additionally, PROMISED 0.15USD/pcs would keep you no pressure to repurchase.
- KEEP TRACK OF DATA. Store your test results with time and date helps you track and manage your health while also keeping a continuous 7/14/30 average results. Automatic off means our device works longer without having to worry about wasting battery life.
- ALL IN ONE: 1 x AUVON DS-W Blood Glucose Monitor, 1 x battery, 50 x Blood Test Strips, 50 x 30 gauge Lancets, 1 x Lancing device, 1 x Meter User Guide, 1 x Test Strip User Guide, Our Exclusive Lifetime Warranty and Technical Support and Friendly Customer Service.
Last update on 2021-05-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API