Does Diabetes Cause Leg Cramps? We’ve all had leg cramps I’m sure at one time or another. Absolutely. But let’s define just what a leg cramp is first. A leg cramp or “charley horse” as we call them, is a sharp sudden tightening or sudden contraction of your muscle which can last for seconds or last for minutes. It usually happens in the calf muscle.
Leg Cramps – We all Get Them
They always happen at the wrong time, don’t they? For me, the worst is when I’m sleeping. That sharp stabbing pain just comes out of nowhere! OW! And when it comes you can’t do too much except to try and gently stretch the muscle until it subsides.
I mean for years I’ve gotten leg cramps like most other folks and I’ve dealt with them. It’s just a painful “surprise” when it happens. If you’ve ever had them in bed in the middle of the night you know what I mean. The only thing that really helps me is to walk it off. It usually doesn’t last that long. But one thing that can really bring it on is dehydration so I always drink plenty of water!
Diabetes and leg cramps
While diabetes is responsible for a number of issues, leg cramps can be one of them. The cramps and pain from the legs can occur and result from nerve damage known as diabetic neuropathy. If you get nerve damage in your legs or in your arms, it’s referred to as diabetic peripheral neuropathy. This results from prolonged high blood sugar levels. This is very important in catching and treating early to avoid further complications. Keep on top of this!
Sometimes your nerves can become severely damaged enough that they may send signals of pain when in actuality there isn’t any. Diabetic peripheral neuropathy can be referred to as a minor setback of diabetes but people suffering through it would disagree that it’s minor for sure.
Warning signs that could indicate complications of diabetic peripheral neuropathy:
*Leg cramps during the night: The cause may possibly be dehydration, low levels of calcium, or low potassium levels. But this could indicate possible nerve damage in your legs or feet. Have these levels checked.
*Lack of coordination: You can experience a loss of coordination if your sensory nerves are damaged enough that your body is unable to know where the location of your particular joints are. In this instance, the complication of diabetes may wind up in your loss of sensory motor balance.
*Tingling or numbness: If you experience any numbness or tingling in your legs or feet, it will feel as though they are asleep or a shocking or buzzing sensation. I experience this myself so I know.
*Loss of touch: Since this occurs mainly in the hands and feet, people will feel as though they may be wearing gloves on their hands or stockings on their feet. And in addition, this damage to these much larger sensory nerves may also be responsible for loss to your reflexes as well.
*Feet: Indications of possible peripheral neuropathy in the feet can be deformities, ulcers, joint and bone pain, and infections. You should be seeing a podiatrist to check your feet regularly.
Supplements for leg discomfort from diabetes
Some specific dietary supplements can help to alleviate leg pain and discomfort that are associated with diabetes. There are also some nutrients that may be responsible for protecting from any further damage and can help in repairing nerve tissue.
*ALA- also known as alpha-lipoic acid is an antioxidant that is recently connected to diabetes. Diabetics take these supplements to alleviate pain and to possibly help any further damage to their nerves.
*Vitamins B-12 and vitamin D- These vitamins can potentially help to promote healthy nerve functions in order to prevent damage. A deficiency in vitamin B-12 can lead to nerve damage. Vitamin D can also help to lessen the swelling that leads to pain. You can get vitamin D from the sun!
Now you can also get the vitamins in the foods you eat but you can also take the supplements as well. If you are eating properly then you’re most likely getting the vitamins and nutrients you need. But in any event, you should always discuss this with your doctor first, especially if you are a diabetic and you are on medications. Make sure that you DO THIS!
Causes of leg cramps
* Exercise- When you’re about to change up the intensity in your workout, whether it be jogging, biking, or training and your muscles are not used to the increased performance, you can experience cramps. You want to be careful with exercise and take it easy not to do too much too fast. Always warm up and step it up one notch at a time so that you lessen your chances of muscle cramps.
*Dehydration- This just has to be the biggest reason for leg cramps. People who exercise a lot and of course athletes, go through the leg cramps all the time. This happens even more so during the summer when it’s particularly hot. Without sufficient fluids your nerve endings become sensitized and this triggers the leg cramps. The more that you exercise, the more you sweat and the more fluids you lose. You have to drink a LOT of water to stay hydrated.
*Fatigue- If your muscles are tired from a variety of reasons, then you’re going to get leg cramps. Your fatigued muscle loses more nutrients than it uses so it won’t function at its peak. If you’re tired at night this can also set off the leg cramps. If your last workout was a hard one and you haven’t given your body and your muscles enough time to recover, you can experience leg cramps too.
*Medications- Sometimes there may not be a cause of leg cramps that’s obvious to you. this may be the time to turn and take a look at what medications you’re taking. There could be blood pressure meds that you’re taking that can trigger cramps because they exhaust your body of salts and fluids. the best thing you can do is to discuss with your physician about your conditions and and perhaps make some necessary adjustments.
*Deficiency in minerals- You not only lose water, you lose electrolytes too. This contributes to some serious cramps as well. Having an imbalance of magnesium, calcium, sodium, and potassium can set off these cramps. Eating right and sports drinks can help with electrolytes.
*Standing and sitting- Standing or sitting too long can bring on cramps for sure. Your muscles are made to move so when they’re stationary they can cramp on you. If you’re standing and can move around every so often, do so. For me, sitting on the computer isn’t good either. I set my timer on my phone for 20 minutes and then get up and walk around for a few minutes. This way I’m moving at least every 20 minutes and experience less cramping in my legs. You don’t want what they call “Sitting Disease.”
*Hypothyroidism- Leg cramps can also be caused by thyroid conditions. If you’re a person who has hypothyroidism, or who doesn’t produce enough thyroid hormone, and after a length of time that leads to damage to the nerves that act in sending signals from your spine and your brain to your legs and arms. Some experience leg cramps and others numbness and tingling.
*Peripheral artery disease- If you don’t feel that your cramps are related to exercise, but seem to be unexpected you want to be sure that it isn’t coming from peripheral artery disease which is when cholesterol can clog up your blood vessels in your legs which obviously affects blood flow. Don’t guess and play doctor. Get it checked out!
How to treat muscle cramps
*Apple cider vinegar- Low potassium levels are one of the most common cause of muscle cramps. Apple cider vinegar in both unfiltered and raw is high in potassium. Many of the nutrients in apple cider vinegar help prevent dehydration by controlling the fluid balance in your body.
*Rosemary- Rosemary can help in calming your muscle tissues that get inflamed and reduce soreness and pain. It does this because of its anti-inflammatory properties and speeds up recovery time as well.
*Massage- Massaging your muscles with long strokes can help to ease up on the stiffness and soreness you may be experiencing. You can use essential oils such as peppermint oil or wintergreen oil. They can work wonders!
*Water- As previously mentioned, dehydration can be the major cause of cramping. Usually rehydrating your body can take care of the problem. Once you feel the cramp coming on, get one or two glasses of water into your body. If you’re drinking 6-8 glasses of water a day, then dehydration will not be the cause of your cramps.
*Heat it or ice it- You can heat it to relax your muscles which will aid in dealing with tightness, pain, or cramping. Apply a heating pad or warm towel to the area to calm the spasms down. Lay these on the area and gently massage. Additionally you can apply an ice pack to the affected areas for pain and swelling.
*Epsom salts- Warning about epsom salts! While epsom salts will help your feet under normal circumstances, they could make your feet worse if you’re a diabetic. Please check with your doctor first!
Does Diabetes Cause Leg Cramps? Yes, they sure can. While leg cramps are usually not a major health issue, you never want to “assume” anything. When it doubt, when it comes to your health, let the doctor know and make the decision. If you have neuropathy, this can help you in treating it!
If you have any comments or questions, you can leave them below. i would appreciate your feedback. Thanks for reading and I hope that I have helped you with leg cramps and diabetes!
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds.
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight loss and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Excellent Accuracy: metene TD-4116 blood glucose meter and strips are produced with industry-leading chips and biosensor, equipped with industry-leading technologies, conducive to get accurate and reliable measurements
- No Coding: The blood sugar meter gets into measure status automatically once insert the blood sugar test strip to the bottom of the slot, easy to use and easy to read with large display for the senior
- Fast and Reduce Pain: This blood glucose monitor takes just 7s and 0.7µl blood to get the glucose value; The lancing device has 5 depth options to minimize wound and reduce pain
- Better Data Management: This glucometer stores the newest 450 blood glucose values and display the continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average; the measurements could be exported with windows-based software; help you track and manage your blood glucose better
- Diabetes Testing Kit 207 Piece Set: 100 glucometer strips, 100 30G lancets, 1 blood sugar meter, 1 lancing device, 1 control solution, 2 batteries, 1 protective wallet and 1 user manual; Please feel free to contact us if any problem when using this Diabetes testing kit
- Support cardiovascular health & blood sugar levels with the PurePremium blood sugar support dietary supplement, which contains essential vitamins, minerals and herbs.
- Support healthy glucose metabolism by adding our all-natural heart health supplement to your diet. Our advanced cardiovascular support capsules contain cinnamon, mulberry, vitamin c, vitamin e, magnesium, zinc, licorice root extract and manganese.
- Support blood cholesterol levels and make sure that your heart is healthy and strong. Support healthy insulin function and bolster your immune system against harmful free radicals.
- Our easy-to-swallow capsules support healthy glucose levels and your metabolism at the same time.
- Formulated in the USA. Every PurePremium product comes from an inspected, and GMP certified facility right here in the USA.
- INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS. Insufficient blood applied to test strip will result in wrong readings. Please hold the lancing device firmly against your fingertip for enough sample. Watch our instructional videos in our listings to optimize your testing results. Our friendly customer support will always be here to answer your questions and help to resolve your concerns. (30 Day Money Back Guarantee)
- EXCEEDS INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS. AUVON BGMs can function within ±10%, or ±10 mg/dl of laboratory values over 95% of the time, which is far beyond ISO 15197:2013 passing standard (within ±15% or ±15 mg/dl). The manufacturer is certified with CE mark, GMP, ISO 13485:2016, and ISO 15197:2013 without having any recall on the market in the past 14 years.
- CUTTING-EDGE TEST STRIPS. We use cutting-edge test strips enzymes for blood glucose measurements. Our test strips are produced with unique Automatic Carbon Printing Technique to ensure that the quality of each batch of strips could be relevantly much more stable, precise and accurate. Additionally, PROMISED 0.15USD/pcs would keep you no pressure to repurchase.
- KEEP TRACK OF DATA. Store your test results with time and date helps you track and manage your health while also keeping a continuous 7/14/30 average results. Automatic off means our device works longer without having to worry about wasting battery life.
- ALL IN ONE: 1 x AUVON DS-W Blood Glucose Monitor, 1 x battery, 50 x Blood Test Strips, 50 x 30 gauge Lancets, 1 x Lancing device, 1 x Meter User Guide, 1 x Test Strip User Guide, Our Exclusive Lifetime Warranty and Technical Support and Friendly Customer Service.
Last update on 2021-05-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API