Are Lentils Good for Diabetics? Flat out, lentils help to regulate your blood sugar and improve your glycemic control. Diabetes control depends on factors such as these. It’s important for your health to do everything you can to control your diabetes and lentils are very healthy for you, but especially for diabetics. So, are lentils good for diabetics? Let’s find out the 17 benefits of lentils, shall we?
How Healthy are Lentils for Diabetes?
Lentils have a low glycemic index of less than 55 and they can help to lower your blood sugar levels. If you are a type 2 diabetic, then lentils are recommended as part of your diet not only because of their low glycemic index but also because the fiber in lentils can help in slowing down the absorption of sugar in your blood.
This is a super food that can help the development of diabetes by preventing hyperglycemia or high blood sugar.
So lentils can help to stabilize your blood sugar because they are full of complex carbohydrates. They can also aid in controlling your cholesterol levels and your appetite as well. But lentils can actually help you in lowering your risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
Now I mentioned the glycemic index of lentils and they have a GI value of less than 55. But the actual range is between 18 and 52 and this is because it depends on how you prepare the lentils and which type you have. Green lentils that are canned have a higher glycemic index. Red lentils that are boiled tend to have a much lower GI.
An example of how lentils can lower your blood sugar is from research done in 2008 where people replaced eating 20 grams of cheese and 30 grams of bread in their diets daily with 5 grams of canola oil and 50 grams of lentils.
They succeeded in lowering not only their cholesterol levels but also their fasting blood sugar levels. So the conclusion was that foods with high GI’s that are replaced with low GI foods can be beneficial for lowering your blood sugars.
Lentils can help to stabilize blood sugar numbers and here’s why. They are rich in fiber and have high amounts of magnesium which is beneficial in the flowing of oxygen and blood which results in a lower risk of heart problems. And as a complex carbohydrate they add more to controlling blood glucose levels.
Actually, soybeans are loaded with protein, but lentils contain even more with over 50 grams of protein on one cup! Replace foods rich in carbohydrates with at least one serving a day of legumes such as lentils.
So what else do lentils have that are ultra healthy? They are packed with fiber, protein, and low in fat which cuts down the risk of heart disease big time. Lentils also have potassium, phosphorous, folate, and iron and that’s definitely healthy for you. They also are able to help control your risk of cancer in addition to being low on the glycemic index scale.
When comparing whole wheat products to legumes, it’s all about the glycemic index numbers and consuming legumes such as lentils is much better at lowering your blood glucose levels than what whole wheat products can do.
Recent studies have revealed that having a high consumption of legumes such as peanuts, chickpeas, beans, alfalfa, and of course lentils can reduce your risk of type 2 diabetes by as much as 33%!
Additional Facts About Lentils
Lentils are seeds belonging to the legume family that are basically two halves in a husk that covers them. Lentils have been a food source for over thousands of years. They are considered a great source of protein without a huge cost. They also are an awesome provider of minerals and vitamins as well as being a source rich in amino acids such as lysine and isoleucine. I love lentils and eat them regularly.
Popular Lentils are:
- French green lentils
- Kidney beans
- Black lentils
- Soya beans
- Brown lentils
- Yellow lentils
- Red lentils
Check Out the Video Below for More About Lentils
Extra Health Benefits of Lentils
1) High in Fiber
They are one of the richest foods when it comes to fiber, which includes both insoluble and soluble fiber. One cup of lentils daily will provide you with more than 60% of the fiber you require each day. Lentils can really help out when it comes to fiber because most folks do not get anywhere near the amount of fiber required daily.
It’s great when you can have something that is not only healthy for you but also low in calories. In fact, there’s only 230 calories in one cup of lentils so this can help in the weight loss department as well and that is beneficial for diabetes. It’s a win win situation!
3) Heart Health
The fiber in lentils is amazing for your heart as it gets rid of your bad cholesterol (LDL) butt also contains magnesium and folate which are extremely beneficial for your heart as well. There’s nothing more important than your heart for your health. You need to do everything you can to keep your heart strong and healthy.
4) More Energy
Lentils are full of slow burning complex carbohydrates that will keep feeling energized and pumped up. They also have lots of iron and fiber for your body.
5) Brain & Nervous System
Research done showed that minerals and vitamins have a positive affect on the functioning of the brain and the nervous system. Lentils help to keep your nervous system and your brain strong and functioning properly.
Lentils are an excellent choice to fight fatigue. Fatigue has been known to be a cause of iron deficiency and lentils are a good source of iron. One third of your daily requirement of iron can come from one cup of cooked lentils. That’s a good start to the day! Add lentils to your diet!
Because lentils contain a great deal of fiber, this will help your digestive system because it keeps it moving along. In addition, it helps to ferment healthy bacteria and keep toxins moving out of your digestive system. One serving of lentils daily helps to keep you in the proper fiber range.
8) Celiac Disease
Gluten is a protein which happens to be part of some plant based grains that may really cause severe health issues in an individual with an inability to digest gluten otherwise known as celiac disease. Lentils are still healthy for folks with celiac disease because they are gluten free. So if you have celiac disease you don’t have to be concerned and you can have lentils!
You don’t want and you can avoid anemia by making sure that your iron levels are healthy. Iron aids in maintaining proper transport of oxygen and for producing new red blood cells which prevents anemia.
10) Immune System
Your immune system is the lifeblood of your body and protects it from disease. Lentils contain high levels of minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants which help to strengthen and boost your system in fighting off disease and inflammation.
11) Blood Pressure & Stroke
Eating the correct foods that are healthy help in decreasing your risk of issues with high blood pressure and having a stroke. Lentils can help with stress because they are a rich source of folic acid and that helps in reducing blood pressure in people who are hypersensitive.
12) Your Colon
Since lentils contain soluble fiber, this helps in lowering your risk of colon cancer. This is important especially as you get older because it is preventable as long as you get screened for it.
Lentils can help in fighting depression. They contain the B vitamins that play an important part in your health. Studies done revealed that if you suffer from depression, it is related to a lacking of folate. That is where lentils come in and help. They contain B vitamins and folate. Lentils contain iron which is an energy booster. Being low in iron can be responsible for fatigue and stress and also be the cause for depression as well.
Selenium is a trace element that boosts immunity and protects you from inflammation. You guessed it. Lentils contain a good deal of selenium. Lentils are inexpensive and an easy way to get the right amount of selenium to help you prevent inflammation.
If you are a woman who is either breastfeeding or pregnant, you’ll want to be consuming lentils. It’s recommended that pregnant women get 600 mcg of folate daily. Eating lentils during pregnancy can aid in the unborn child not being affected by an unhealthy development of their spine.
Our body’s muscles and organs need protein on a consistent basis for the growth and repair of the body. Essential amino acids that are necessary for good building of the muscles and a fluent functioning of your body are provided through sprouted lentils. It just goes to show you how important and vital lentils are for your body.
17) Kidney Stones
Lentils such as peanut butter, soy foods, and soybeans are comprised of concentrations that are high in oxalate compounds which can cause kidney stones! If you currently have kidney stones, do not consume lentils and legumes. This is according to the department of Human Nutrition and Food Science at Washington State University.
Are lentils good for diabetics? YES! Lentils are one of the healthiest foods for you whether you have diabetes or not. But they can help to lower your blood sugar and also help with your diabetes.
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Rothchild, Sascha (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 336 Pages - 04/19/2022 (Publication Date) - G.P. Putnam's Sons (Publisher)
- ✅ QUICK AND EASY TO USE: Care Touch blood sugar test kit delivers results in only 5 seconds with just a 0.5µL blood sample. There is no programming needed since our blood sugar monitor kit automatically recognizes batch codes encrypted on Care Touch glucose test strips. Our state-of-the-art glucometer kit with strips and lancets includes single-touch strip ejection, so you can hygienically remove used diabetic test strips.
- ✅ EASY DIABETIC MONITORING: The blood sugar monitor kit with strips is capable of saving up to 300 readings. The blood glucose test kit also provides a continuous 14-day average of your readings, making glucose monitoring easy for you and your healthcare provider.
- ✅ PORTABLE AND HASSLE-FREE: The diabetic testing kit comes with a handy glucometer case, which means you can check your blood sugar level at home or anywhere else while staying organized. The 10-depth lancing device and lancets will help make blood sugar testing almost painless and hassle-free.
- ✅ COMPLETE DIABETIC SET: The glucose meter kit with strips and lancets includes: (1) Care Touch Blood Sugar Meter, (100) Blood Glucose Test Strips for diabetes, (1) Lancing Device, (100) Lancets for diabetes testing, (1) 3 Volt Lithium Battery, (1) Glucose meter case for your blood sugar tester and diabetic supplies
- ✅ WE CARE BECAUSE YOU CARE: You care about your health, and we care about you. Care Touch is committed to providing the best quality blood glucose monitoring systems. Our care doesn’t end when your sugar tester diabetes kit arrives at your door. We’re fully dedicated to your satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns about your glucose monitor kit with strips and lancets - contact us at any time.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- PUREHEALTH RESEARCH - Blood Sugar Formula 3 Bottles
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- A DOCTOR-APPROVED NATURAL FORMULA. Seventeen potent ingredients, each scientifically proven to have a significant effect at helping balance your glucose levels, improve glucose sensitivity, protect delicate cells from free radicals, and energy
- HIGH POTENCY. PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help you support healthy blood glucose levels
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: supports healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency support for 365 days a year; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health; daily support for healthy blood glucose levels, 365 days a year
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
Last update on 2022-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API