We know that teen-age is the evolution period from childhood to adulthood. This is a period of physical and mental development and sexual maturity. Teenagers tend to become sensitive to their appearance and behavior and are highly aware of all their physical changes. Diabetes can be one of those unfortunate changes. So what can be done for Teenagers and Diabetes?
Teen-age is usually considered a stormy period. Conflict arises because teenagers need to be separated from their parents, and annoyingly, they are still very dependent on their parents. This can lead to unpredictable behavior, a transition from mature to naïve.
Teenagers and Diabetes
Dr Jill Challener, a consultant paediatrician in Cambridgeshire, UK, conducted special research on diabetes and teenagers. She concluded that this disease inevitably affects normal developmental processes-diabetic teenagers may have delayed sexual and physical maturity due to the need for regular check-ups, injections, and blood tests, and lack of self-esteem.
Due to the long-term attention of parents, the sense of independence with parents is usually slow, and the struggle with teenagers is often aimed at diabetes rather than the usual teenage problem areas.
Teenagers with diabetes may also transfer their anger to the medical team caring for them; in fact, this is their way of fighting the disease, which marks the difference between them and their friends. It may be difficult to accept all diabetes care rules, especially food management and regular injections.
The boundary will be tested to the limit; your child may even ignore all the words you and other people have about diabetes, especially if he feels good.
Dr Challener’s research shows that teenagers need clear, simple, and intuitive guidance so that they appreciate and understand the importance of good control. It is much easier for them to associate blood sugar levels with numbers.
She believes that they need special treatment, there are no abstract concepts or warnings about the “future”, but there are many pragmatics, compassionate and most important simple suggestions on how to maintain health and promote their independence.
The following shows possible problems with teenagers with diabetes.
Physical and Sexual Maturity:
1. Delayed sexual maturity
2. Short stature
3. Invasion of privacy
4. Check frequently
Compliance with Peer Group:
1. Must eat on time
2. Injections and blood tests
1. Hypothesis of exposure difference
1. Poor body image
1. Parents’ concern
2. Diabetes struggle
1. Employer discrimination
How can we help our Diabetic Teenagers?
Teenagers are struggling to be independent, make wise decisions in life, and learn to control themselves. One of the smartest decisions that can be made is to control their diabetes and seek help when needed.
Their hormones, anger, self-esteem, and growth struggles are already big enough, and when they are dealing with diabetes, their struggles are even greater. Their school work is becoming more and more difficult, the sports teams and competitions they participate in, their mood swings, learning to drive and keep moving forward.
Controlling their diabetes is another thing in their already busy life. Teenagers, no matter how much they know or how smart they are, sometimes slip and fall. They may lie about it, or simply ignore the warning signs, or deny that there is a problem, but the correct approach is to admit and ask for help.
Don’t let fear and overwhelming emotions control their lives. There is a lot of help, they can talk to their doctor, talk to their parents or talk to the counsellor at school,
Diabetes is a serious disease that usually appears in childhood. If in childhood, children are still little and do not know their condition, but in teenagers, the situation tends to change and in many cases it becomes difficult. It is important to say that parents of children with diabetes should teach them because their basic knowledge is very small, such as checking blood sugar, taking insulin regularly, and special diets to adapt to their feelings and new lifestyle.
In addition, teen-age is a difficult time for parents and teenagers. Teenagers become more aware of their situation and claim to have a lot of independence. In many cases, they refuse the help of their parents. Even if teenagers are responsible for their behavior and the way they cope with diabetes, parents should always pay attention and raise them from the shadows.
In this way, parents should encourage their adolescents and implement self-confidence in their minds, believing that their condition will not make them worse than other young people. As they grow older, more teenagers may become rebellious and refuse parental advice and support. For example, they go to the doctor alone or check their blood sugar from time to time.
Also, teenagers with diabetes have the opportunity to share their conditions and experiences with other young people. There are many hospitals and diabetes centers that provide diabetes help and support for teenagers, and they also set up educational camps for teenagers to learn more about their diabetes management skills.
1. Weight control is one of the easiest prevention methods. Since most children and adults diagnosed with diabetes tends to become overweight, this is a simple concept that is not only helpful in this area but also their overall health. In addition, maintaining a healthy weight can also bring many other health benefits.
2. The choice of food is also important for preventing diabetes. It is important to eat moderate amounts of fruits and vegetables every day; and plenty of fibre-rich foods. This serves a dual purpose: to keep the digestive system functioning normally and to help maintain healthy cholesterol levels.
These two steps work together to maximize the effectiveness of the cardiovascular system and the digestive system.
It is also important to stay away from junk food. This group of foods is high in fat, cholesterol, salt and sugar-all foods that people with diabetes must treat with caution. Ingesting them means almost certainly changing blood sugar levels unnecessarily.
The same is true for foods that are considered junk food, but have one or more of the above characteristics. If it is necessary to eat junk food, the best way is to control it and not use it during meals.
3. Exercise is necessary for weight loss and weight maintenance. Exercise or physical exercise can not only increase physical strength, but a slim body can burn sugar more effectively and help avoid other complications caused by diseases.
Today’s young children, teenagers and adults exercise less than our ancestors, who exercise more and eat less food! No wonder people are gaining weight, as we have already seen, this makes us more susceptible to diabetes and other diseases.
It is worth mentioning that during the teen-age years, young people with diabetes face difficult problems due to hormonal changes. Therefore, it has been found that growth hormone and adrenaline have certain effects, such as antagonizing insulin or stimulating the release of glucose in the body.
Teen-age is a period when young people’s behavior changes significantly. They begin to establish more connections with their peers. In this case, diseases like diabetes may make them feel different from others. However, teenagers with diabetes should know that they can live a normal life like children of other age groups, go out to parties, and have a free social life, but this can only be achieved by treating their diabetes carefully.
Parents should also encourage teenagers not to feel embarrassed, and they should also share their experiences with close friends by teaching them everything about diabetes.
Teenagers and Diabetes is serious, yes, but a positive attitude can help control blood sugar levels, and by appropriately controlling diabetes to solve the problem can expect teenagers to live a long, happy, and productive life. Parents who encounter difficulties in their relationship with diabetic teenagers can seek help from certain organizations.
The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation is one of them. This organization helps parents by providing advice and assistance to them to cope more with their children and maintain control over their conditions.
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds.
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight loss and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Excellent Accuracy: metene TD-4116 blood glucose meter and strips are produced with industry-leading chips and biosensor, equipped with industry-leading technologies, conducive to get accurate and reliable measurements
- No Coding: The blood sugar meter gets into measure status automatically once insert the blood sugar test strip to the bottom of the slot, easy to use and easy to read with large display for the senior
- Fast and Reduce Pain: This blood glucose monitor takes just 7s and 0.7µl blood to get the glucose value; The lancing device has 5 depth options to minimize wound and reduce pain
- Better Data Management: This glucometer stores the newest 450 blood glucose values and display the continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average; the measurements could be exported with windows-based software; help you track and manage your blood glucose better
- Diabetes Testing Kit 207 Piece Set: 100 glucometer strips, 100 30G lancets, 1 blood sugar meter, 1 lancing device, 1 control solution, 2 batteries, 1 protective wallet and 1 user manual; Please feel free to contact us if any problem when using this Diabetes testing kit
- Support cardiovascular health & blood sugar levels with the PurePremium blood sugar support dietary supplement, which contains essential vitamins, minerals and herbs.
- Support healthy glucose metabolism by adding our all-natural heart health supplement to your diet. Our advanced cardiovascular support capsules contain cinnamon, mulberry, vitamin c, vitamin e, magnesium, zinc, licorice root extract and manganese.
- Support blood cholesterol levels and make sure that your heart is healthy and strong. Support healthy insulin function and bolster your immune system against harmful free radicals.
- Our easy-to-swallow capsules support healthy glucose levels and your metabolism at the same time.
- Formulated in the USA. Every PurePremium product comes from an inspected, and GMP certified facility right here in the USA.
- INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS. Insufficient blood applied to test strip will result in wrong readings. Please hold the lancing device firmly against your fingertip for enough sample. Watch our instructional videos in our listings to optimize your testing results. Our friendly customer support will always be here to answer your questions and help to resolve your concerns. (30 Day Money Back Guarantee)
- EXCEEDS INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS. AUVON BGMs can function within ±10%, or ±10 mg/dl of laboratory values over 95% of the time, which is far beyond ISO 15197:2013 passing standard (within ±15% or ±15 mg/dl). The manufacturer is certified with CE mark, GMP, ISO 13485:2016, and ISO 15197:2013 without having any recall on the market in the past 14 years.
- CUTTING-EDGE TEST STRIPS. We use cutting-edge test strips enzymes for blood glucose measurements. Our test strips are produced with unique Automatic Carbon Printing Technique to ensure that the quality of each batch of strips could be relevantly much more stable, precise and accurate. Additionally, PROMISED 0.15USD/pcs would keep you no pressure to repurchase.
- KEEP TRACK OF DATA. Store your test results with time and date helps you track and manage your health while also keeping a continuous 7/14/30 average results. Automatic off means our device works longer without having to worry about wasting battery life.
- ALL IN ONE: 1 x AUVON DS-W Blood Glucose Monitor, 1 x battery, 50 x Blood Test Strips, 50 x 30 gauge Lancets, 1 x Lancing device, 1 x Meter User Guide, 1 x Test Strip User Guide, Our Exclusive Lifetime Warranty and Technical Support and Friendly Customer Service.
Last update on 2021-05-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API