We know that teen-age is the evolution period from childhood to adulthood. This is a period of physical and mental development and sexual maturity. Teenagers tend to become sensitive to their appearance and behavior and are highly aware of all their physical changes. Diabetes can be one of those unfortunate changes. So what can be done for Teenagers and Diabetes?
Teen-age is usually considered a stormy period. Conflict arises because teenagers need to be separated from their parents, and annoyingly, they are still very dependent on their parents. This can lead to unpredictable behavior, a transition from mature to naïve.
Teenagers and Diabetes
Dr Jill Challener, a consultant paediatrician in Cambridgeshire, UK, conducted special research on diabetes and teenagers. She concluded that this disease inevitably affects normal developmental processes-diabetic teenagers may have delayed sexual and physical maturity due to the need for regular check-ups, injections, and blood tests, and lack of self-esteem.
Due to the long-term attention of parents, the sense of independence with parents is usually slow, and the struggle with teenagers is often aimed at diabetes rather than the usual teenage problem areas.
Teenagers with diabetes may also transfer their anger to the medical team caring for them; in fact, this is their way of fighting the disease, which marks the difference between them and their friends. It may be difficult to accept all diabetes care rules, especially food management and regular injections.
The boundary will be tested to the limit; your child may even ignore all the words you and other people have about diabetes, especially if he feels good.
Dr Challener’s research shows that teenagers need clear, simple, and intuitive guidance so that they appreciate and understand the importance of good control. It is much easier for them to associate blood sugar levels with numbers.
She believes that they need special treatment, there are no abstract concepts or warnings about the “future”, but there are many pragmatics, compassionate and most important simple suggestions on how to maintain health and promote their independence.
The following shows possible problems with teenagers with diabetes.
Physical and Sexual Maturity:
1. Delayed sexual maturity
2. Short stature
3. Invasion of privacy
4. Check frequently
Compliance with Peer Group:
1. Must eat on time
2. Injections and blood tests
1. Hypothesis of exposure difference
1. Poor body image
1. Parents’ concern
2. Diabetes struggle
1. Employer discrimination
How can we help our Diabetic Teenagers?
Teenagers are struggling to be independent, make wise decisions in life, and learn to control themselves. One of the smartest decisions that can be made is to control their diabetes and seek help when needed.
Their hormones, anger, self-esteem, and growth struggles are already big enough, and when they are dealing with diabetes, their struggles are even greater. Their school work is becoming more and more difficult, the sports teams and competitions they participate in, their mood swings, learning to drive and keep moving forward.
Controlling their diabetes is another thing in their already busy life. Teenagers, no matter how much they know or how smart they are, sometimes slip and fall. They may lie about it, or simply ignore the warning signs, or deny that there is a problem, but the correct approach is to admit and ask for help.
Don’t let fear and overwhelming emotions control their lives. There is a lot of help, they can talk to their doctor, talk to their parents or talk to the counsellor at school,
Diabetes is a serious disease that usually appears in childhood. If in childhood, children are still little and do not know their condition, but in teenagers, the situation tends to change and in many cases it becomes difficult. It is important to say that parents of children with diabetes should teach them because their basic knowledge is very small, such as checking blood sugar, taking insulin regularly, and special diets to adapt to their feelings and new lifestyle.
In addition, teen-age is a difficult time for parents and teenagers. Teenagers become more aware of their situation and claim to have a lot of independence. In many cases, they refuse the help of their parents. Even if teenagers are responsible for their behavior and the way they cope with diabetes, parents should always pay attention and raise them from the shadows.
In this way, parents should encourage their adolescents and implement self-confidence in their minds, believing that their condition will not make them worse than other young people. As they grow older, more teenagers may become rebellious and refuse parental advice and support. For example, they go to the doctor alone or check their blood sugar from time to time.
Also, teenagers with diabetes have the opportunity to share their conditions and experiences with other young people. There are many hospitals and diabetes centers that provide diabetes help and support for teenagers, and they also set up educational camps for teenagers to learn more about their diabetes management skills.
1. Weight control is one of the easiest prevention methods. Since most children and adults diagnosed with diabetes tends to become overweight, this is a simple concept that is not only helpful in this area but also their overall health. In addition, maintaining a healthy weight can also bring many other health benefits.
2. The choice of food is also important for preventing diabetes. It is important to eat moderate amounts of fruits and vegetables every day; and plenty of fibre-rich foods. This serves a dual purpose: to keep the digestive system functioning normally and to help maintain healthy cholesterol levels.
These two steps work together to maximize the effectiveness of the cardiovascular system and the digestive system.
It is also important to stay away from junk food. This group of foods is high in fat, cholesterol, salt and sugar-all foods that people with diabetes must treat with caution. Ingesting them means almost certainly changing blood sugar levels unnecessarily.
The same is true for foods that are considered junk food, but have one or more of the above characteristics. If it is necessary to eat junk food, the best way is to control it and not use it during meals.
3. Exercise is necessary for weight loss and weight maintenance. Exercise or physical exercise can not only increase physical strength, but a slim body can burn sugar more effectively and help avoid other complications caused by diseases.
Today’s young children, teenagers and adults exercise less than our ancestors, who exercise more and eat less food! No wonder people are gaining weight, as we have already seen, this makes us more susceptible to diabetes and other diseases.
It is worth mentioning that during the teen-age years, young people with diabetes face difficult problems due to hormonal changes. Therefore, it has been found that growth hormone and adrenaline have certain effects, such as antagonizing insulin or stimulating the release of glucose in the body.
Teen-age is a period when young people’s behavior changes significantly. They begin to establish more connections with their peers. In this case, diseases like diabetes may make them feel different from others. However, teenagers with diabetes should know that they can live a normal life like children of other age groups, go out to parties, and have a free social life, but this can only be achieved by treating their diabetes carefully.
Parents should also encourage teenagers not to feel embarrassed, and they should also share their experiences with close friends by teaching them everything about diabetes.
Teenagers and Diabetes is serious, yes, but a positive attitude can help control blood sugar levels, and by appropriately controlling diabetes to solve the problem can expect teenagers to live a long, happy, and productive life. Parents who encounter difficulties in their relationship with diabetic teenagers can seek help from certain organizations.
The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation is one of them. This organization helps parents by providing advice and assistance to them to cope more with their children and maintain control over their conditions.
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Rothchild, Sascha (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 336 Pages - 04/19/2022 (Publication Date) - G.P. Putnam's Sons (Publisher)
- Blood Sugar Formula support cardiovascular health & blood sugar levels with PureHealth Research Blood Sugar dietary supplement, which contains 17 botanicals and nutrients
- HIGH POTENCY: PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help maintain healthy blood glucose levels
- CEYLON CINNAMON and BERBERINE HCL 97% naturally lowers blood glucose levels, improves blood cholesterol levels, and promotes healthy cholesterol levels*
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: helps to maintain healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- PUREHEALTH RESEARCH - Blood Sugar Formula 3 Bottles
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- A DOCTOR-APPROVED NATURAL FORMULA. Seventeen potent ingredients, each scientifically proven to have a significant effect at helping balance your glucose levels, improve glucose sensitivity, protect delicate cells from free radicals, and energy
- HIGH POTENCY. PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help you support healthy blood glucose levels
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: supports healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- ✅ QUICK AND EASY TO USE: Care Touch blood sugar test kit delivers results in only 5 seconds with just a 0.5µL blood sample. There is no programming needed since our blood sugar monitor kit automatically recognizes batch codes encrypted on Care Touch glucose test strips. Our state-of-the-art glucometer kit with strips and lancets includes single-touch strip ejection, so you can hygienically remove used diabetic test strips.
- ✅ EASY DIABETIC MONITORING: The blood sugar monitor kit with strips is capable of saving up to 300 readings. The blood glucose test kit also provides a continuous 14-day average of your readings, making glucose monitoring easy for you and your healthcare provider.
- ✅ PORTABLE AND HASSLE-FREE: The diabetic testing kit comes with a handy glucometer case, which means you can check your blood sugar level at home or anywhere else while staying organized. The 10-depth lancing device and lancets will help make blood sugar testing almost painless and hassle-free.
- ✅ COMPLETE DIABETIC SET: The glucose meter kit with strips and lancets includes: (1) Care Touch Blood Sugar Meter, (100) Blood Glucose Test Strips for diabetes, (1) Lancing Device, (100) Lancets for diabetes testing, (1) 3 Volt Lithium Battery, (1) Glucose meter case for your blood sugar tester and diabetic supplies
- ✅ WE CARE BECAUSE YOU CARE: You care about your health, and we care about you. Care Touch is committed to providing the best quality blood glucose monitoring systems. Our care doesn’t end when your sugar tester diabetes kit arrives at your door. We’re fully dedicated to your satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns about your glucose monitor kit with strips and lancets - contact us at any time.
Last update on 2022-05-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API