How Is Honey Good for Diabetics? There are numerous ways that honey is beneficial for you. I’m going to cover everything about honey and why it’s so good for you. I’m not sure that everyone knows about every benefit that honey provides, especially when it comes to lowering your glucose levels, but I’ll get into that shortly.
How Beneficial is Honey if you have Diabetes?
We know honey isn’t possible without bees and it provides us with many benefits. It’s truly amazing how nature is and how things are made. Honey is sweet tasting and good to add to many foods and dishes, but let’s see what other benefits it offers. I’m sure there may be some that you’re aware of, but there are also some that may surprise you. Take note of the raw honey listed below in the types of honey list.
Honey and blood sugar levels
Even though honey is a sweetener, it helps to lower your blood sugar. There were studies done in 2004 that showed honey was responsible for decreasing glucose and increasing insulin at the same time. In addition, honey also showed that it raises your HDL good cholesterol and lowers your A1C and triglyceride levels too.
Honey is also to be more effective when taken with your medications that you might be already taking. Subjects who were taking part in this study showed improvement with better antioxidant defense and an increase in their glycemic control. It’s important to note that while honey is beneficial in these ways, that you don’t consume too much because of the calories. But it will help your glucose levels.
There has been research done into adding honey to the diet instead of replacing sugar with it. Now while honey is actually a sugar, it’s not going to drop blood sugar levels tremendously. It may best lower them slightly or just have them stay neutral. But it is still a better sugar choice than actual sugar itself.
Types of honey
- Avocado- This plant’s flowers have more like the taste of butter and appear to be darker in color. This honey is mostly used for dressings.
- Buckwheat- This honey is very good for your immune system. It works well as a better choice for you than cough syrup.
- Clover- This is one of the most common of honeys. It has an exquisite taste and is either an light amber colors or a light white color. The types of clover honey are White Dutch or Red Clover.
- Sage- This is another honey that tastes somewhat on the sweet side with a light white color. This honey comes from the sage flower and most times gets served with cheese.
- Orange blossom- I love this honey. It’s great to bake cookies and cakes with. It can be either pure or mixed with nectar from other citrus including lime or lemon.
- Raw- Since this is the pure form that hasn’t been pasteurized yet, it may be the best choice for controlling glucose levels. It is an all natural form that has glucose decomposition. It also helps with health digestion.
The benefits of honey
1) Throat and cough- Honey is great when helping you with your cough. I always take cough drops with honey in them too. At the same time it aids in soothing your irritated throat. It’s the pits when your throat hurts and you’re coughing too which adds to it. Buckwheat honey in particular is especially helpful.
2) Fatigue- Are you feeling tired or fatigued when you wake up in the morning? Have honey by spreading it on English muffin or toast or whatever your preference is. It will give you a boost of energy better than any morning drink can. You can even use it in your tea in place of sugar. Nobody likes feeling fatigued all the time.
3) Cancer fighter- Seriously? Honey to fight cancer? Absolutely! There have been studies done that show that honey plays a big role in preventing the progression of cancer and tumors because it possesses properties that are anti-tumor and carcinogen preventing.
4) Digestion- Honey acts as a mild laxative in decreasing your chances of bloating, constipation, and gas. Because of probiotic or good bacteria it helps in reducing your allergies and encouraging the strength of your immune system. Using honey instead of sugar aids in decreasing any toxic effects in your stomach.
5) Cosmetic- Honey can be used as a rejuvenator for your skin and in addition can slow down the possibility of wrinkles forming. It also aids in the smoothing of your hair. There was a study done that showed that honey can be used for dry skin and pimples as a facial scrub and face wash.
6) Heals wounds quickly- This is one benefit where honey really does the job of healing. Research was done that concluded that a wound after post-op was healed with much acceleration and very little scarring.
Remember hydrogen peroxide when you were a kid and mom used it for cuts? Well, it’s actually found in the properties of honey helping to kill the bacteria, speed up the healing process, and lower the risk of infection.
7) Immune system- Honey can provide many benefits but what is really impressive is that it can be a powerful booster for your immune system. It can help you with fighting disease and staying healthier by the improvement of your digestive system caused by its anti-bacterial properties and antioxidants.
8) Nutrient provider- You can get more nutrients for your calories than sugar provides. Honey includes manganese, zinc, potassium and magnesium, riboflavin, iron, copper, niacin and calcium. It’s obvious that honey is the choice over sugar.
9) Insect bites- Stings and bites from insects can be treated by honey with its anti-microbial properties. The microorganisms are killed off by the natural sugar in honey. You can get even more benefits by simply adding lemons to help prevent the growth of bacteria. Honey and lemon together can reduce the itching and swelling that occurs with insect bites.
I can’t stand bugs and insects and mainly for this reason. Who needs bites, swelling, itching, and infection? I would much rather prevent these from happening if I can, but you can’t always elude the pesky things. Honey works great especially combined with lemons.
10) Ailments- In addition to cuts and bruises, honey also treats athlete’s foot, yeast infection, and arthritis pain. It can accomplish this because of its antiseptic properties which impedes the growth of certain bacteria and aids in having your external wounds be kept as free and clean from infection as possible.
12) Honey and vinegar- This combination is widely known as a home remedy for treating arthritis. This condition can really affect your life especially as you get older.
13) Your blood- Honey is good for your red blood cell count. Mixed with lukewarm water, you can drink it and benefit from the condition of anemia if that’s something you need to treat. You need to have sufficient amounts of oxygen in your blood so that your body can easily revitalize itself. This also has a positive effect on your blood pressure.
So if your blood count is down because of it being deprived of oxygen, you can start to experience short breath, possibly depression, and fatigue.
14) Acne- If you want to thwart acne, you can use raw honey to help. You only need less than a teaspoon to rub between your hands and then gently smooth over your face. Leave it on for 5-10 minutes, rinse off, and dry. You can use this no matter what your skin type is.
15) Infections on your scalp- I find honey helps with itching of the scalp, dandruff, and dermatitis. I tried applying honey every other day by rubbing it in and letting it sit before I washed it off. It works. No more itching and dandruff for me.
16) Sleep aid- I think most of us either have or have had problems with sleeping. There are many reasons for this and some folks resort to drugs or sleeping pills. I have never taken any sleeping pill or drug to sleep. Sometimes just getting into a relaxing routine every night will do it.
But when it doesn’t help honey can help because once you have honey, your insulin rises and triggers serotonin which the body turns into melatonin. This compound is what makes you sleepy at night.
So, why not ditch the medications and sleep aids and make yourself a nice warm of decaf tea with honey at bedtime? That’s my choice. I don’t ever want to take a pill to go to sleep. I just don’t believe in it.
17) Nervous system- Honey is awesome for your nervous system because it boosts your brain function and aids in the developing of your entire nervous system. Studies have shown that a flavonoid known as catechin is able to delay the decline of your memory loss due to aging.
18) Appetite- There is a hormone in your body known as leptin that controls your appetite and honey decreases the level of leptin which will decrease the amount of calories you take in so you will lose weight which in turn lowers your blood sugar levels too.
Side effects of honey
- Abdominal pain- You can possibly experience severe abdominal pain by the consumption of too much honey.
- Blood sugar- It’s possible that your blood sugar levels can increase if you take too much honey. So just don’t overdo it. Stay with a regular dose of honey to keep your sugars under control.
- Blood pressure- Again, only have honey in small amounts because it can raise your blood pressure too. It’s all about quality not quantity. Honey is good for you, just don’t “binge” on it. If you find that your pressure is too low, then avoid honey altogether.
- Tooth decay- You should keep in mind that honey is after all sugar too. You don’t want to do damage to your teeth. The dentist makes enough money as it is!
- Prevention- If you are experiencing any internal bleeding or are taking blood thinners, then avoid honey at all costs. An ounce of prevention here.
- Medication interactions- I could list all the medication that could possibly interact with honey but I feel it’s safer for you to discuss taking honey with your doctor first. The doctor will know what is best for you here.
Is Honey Good for Diabetics? Yes! Honey is very beneficial for you and honey and diabetes are connected, but honey must be consumed in small or moderate amounts. It’s important for your health but for diabetes it’s just a better choice than regular sugar. So while it may not affect your blood sugar levels to lower them as you may need, if you require something with more strength in lowering your glucose levels, this is what will do it!
Thank you for reading and I hope that you learned about what honey can offer you. If you have any questions at all or would like to leave a comment, please do so below. I appreciate it. Have a happy and healthy!
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds. Portable. Travel Size
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Dr. Mark Hyman reveals that the secret to losing weight and preventing not just diabetes but also heart disease, stroke, dementia, and cancer is balanced insulin levels.
- Mark Hyman M.D. (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 448 Pages - 12/30/2014 (Publication Date) - Little, Brown Spark (Publisher)
- Advanced Glucometer Kit: metene TD-4116 diabetes testing kit is equipped with advanced technologies, bring more accurate and reliable results and better experience for your blood sugar control; a control solution is included for checking the glucometer and strips
- Easy to Use: The blood glucose monitor is with code-free design, ready for testing once insert the strip correctly; the quick guide inside the package lists the steps to do a test clearly, easy to follow; any problem about operation, we are here ready to answer and provide glucose monitoring system instructional videos
- 7 Seconds And 0.7µl Blood: This blood glucose meter kit just need 0.7 microliter blood sample and 7 seconds to get you blood glucose value; Fast, minimize wound and less painful
- More Clearly Glucose Trend: 4 modes to record your glucose value according to different time, shows your glucose trend more clearly; 450 blood sugar values storage, continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average, which bring more convenient Diabetes management for you and your health provider
- User-friendly for The Aged: 4 reminder alarms could be set everyday to remind the aged to do a test in time, considerate; the display is more large than most glucose monitors, showing the results more clearly, easier to read for the aged
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
Last update on 2022-01-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API