There are certain foods that trigger blood sugar levels for those with diabetes. So, if you are trying to lower blood sugar and stay healthy, there are certain foods that you must steer clear of. This is extremely important if you’re a diabetic. What are the Worst Foods To Avoid For Diabetics?
Foods to Stay Away from for Diabetics
One of the most important things about eating is portion control. Even though the worst foods for diabetics cannot be strictly categorized because individual’s body is different, just as the way they react to food is different.
Foods you eat should be measured in portions to avoid a hike in your blood sugar. Carbohydrates such as fruits, pasta, potatoes, and other simple starches which are relatively swift to break down can be eaten in moderation as part of a well-balanced diet, but should not serve as a standalone meal or snack.
Staying away from unhealthy fats should be your main goals, such as processed grains, liquid sugars and other foods that contain refined carbs. Avoiding foods that increase your blood sugar levels and drive insulin resistance can help keep you healthy now and reduce the risk of future complications as it regards to diabetes.
The more high or complex in fiber a carbohydrate is, the more you can eat of that particular carbohydrate. Combining carbohydrates with different kinds of things can slow absorption and delay the release of sugar into your bloodstream. Most commonly paired foods that include whole grain cereal, beans and rice, and milk. This allows you to eat more than one kind of carbohydrate at each of your meal.
Eating food that contains protein is superb for type 2 diabetics as long as there is no sign or trace of kidney disease. Reducing protein in your diet can slow the progression of this complication by relieving some of the burdens on your kidneys if renal failure is pending. Animal protein can be replaced with more easily digestible foods that still deliver protein. They include whole grains, legumes, and nuts.
Another thing that is necessary for your body are fats, but avoid trans-fats in favor of healthy fats like those found in avocados, seeds, and nuts. Preferably, low-fat diets are needed for diabetics trying to lose weight, but don’t exclude fat entirely from your diet. All you need to do is just focus on limiting fats to unsaturated fats found in fresh food.
Recently Diagnosed with Diabetes?
SEE THE PRODUCTS YOU NEED TO GET STARTED
It is important to note that some foods on the “best” list still appear to cause your blood sugar problems and some foods on the “worst” list don’t influence you negatively at all. That should not call for concern as you can track your own diet and adjust it to recompense your own specific needs, then you will know your best and worst foods.
There are certain foods that are bad for diabetics; foods such as pasta, rice, and white bread, are foods that are processed foods high in carbohydrates. If you eat bread, or bagels or any foods that have flour that is refined then studies have shown to meaningfully increase blood sugar levels in people with type 1 and type 2 diabetes
Watch the Video for the 25 Worst Foods for Diabetics
Foods Categories That Diabetics Should Not Indulge in
1) High Glycemic Index foods
The Glycemic Index (GI) was invented, advertised and talked about all the time for a reason. The glycemic index measures how long it takes for a particular type of food to put additional sugar into your bloodstream.
The higher the number it takes, the faster the food turns into sugar, which will bump around inside you and cause damage to your most sensitive and useful body parts. You only want foods with a low glycemic index.
Avoiding these foods, such as white bread, sugary candy, sugar cubes and most kinds of breakfast cereals are usually a good idea, and failure to avoid such foods will typically result in serious health problems by the end of the day. Is this how you want to wind up?
2) Foods with Hollow Calories
Those with type 2 diabetes are more prone than the average person to gain weight. And having known this, eating food with no significant nutritional value is just a license to gain weight. In addition you will experience additional problems which high blood sugar and insulin levels add to your life.
Eating foods with hollow calories gives joint problems, additional strain on your internal organs, and a look at the mirror, you will be appalled at what you see. It is not by chance that most hollow calorie food items also happen to have a high GI. Therefore, avoiding this aisle in the supermarket is a very healthy move to make.
3) Carbonated Beverages
Beverages are not food in the technical sense but you need them to live. There are good reasons why you should drink milk, that is if you are okay with consuming products that come from an animal. High GI juices are invulnerable in moderation because they contain large amounts of micronutrients.
However, there is categorically nothing good about energy drinks and sodas. They are toxins which will dehydrate you. Even though they are not as bad as a jar of battery acid fresh out of the microwave, they are far worse than simple, cheap, healthy water.
4) Cookie Dough
You might like cookies, but they certainly don’t like your body. Things like processed cookies in the disreputable cookie rolls are loaded with very high fat and calorie counts. The hydrogenated oil and unsaturated fat contents loaded in them are almost off the charts. This is BAD!
There are also food items a diabetic should limit that do not belong in your diabetes diet such as:
- Cafe Drinks.
- Fried Foods.
- Fatty Red Meat.
- Refined Carbohydrates.
- Heavily Salted, Processed Foods.
Therefore, it is imperative to avoid the foods listed below:
- Sugar-Sweetened Beverages.
- Trans Fats.
- White Bread, Pasta and Rice.
- Fruit-Flavored Yogurt.
- Sweetened Breakfast Cereals.
- Flavored Coffee Drinks.
- Honey, Agave Nectar and Maple Syrup.
- Dried Fruit.
- Packaged Snacks and Baked Goods.
- Full-Fat Dairy.
5) Sugar-Sweetened Beverages
There are a good deal of calories in beverages that contain sugar. The calories do not provide any nutritional value at all. Beverages containing sugar will not give you that full feeling whereas food does provide you with the feeling of being full. Those additional calories are going to lead to additional health risks that may include: type 2 diabetes, decaying of your teeth, gaining weight and becoming obese and heart disease.
6) Trans Fats
What trans fats does is that it lowers the good and raises the bad cholesterol levels. You do not want to consume trans fats because they help to raise your risk of developing type 2 diabetes. The result can also be linked to strokes and heart attacks. A good example of trans food includes cakes, pies, and cookies, biscuits, sandwiches, margarine, crackers, microwave popcorn, cream-filled candies, and doughnuts.
7) White Bread, Pasta, and Rice
The grains present in white pasta, white rice, and white bread are refined through a milling process that takes off the bran layer and gives them a much a finer texture.
After that process, these foods are little more than carbohydrates that your body digests quickly and easily, hence they are a red flag for a diabetes-prone diet.
The more white rice you eat, the greater your risk of type 2 diabetes. White rice and pasta can cause blood sugar spikes similar to that of sugar.
8) Fruit-Flavored Yogurt
Any flavored yogurt that contains alternative sugars like fructose, glucose, sucrose should be avoided as they are not healthy. Flavored yogurt with a high amount of sugar should also be avoided. However, studies also show that a diet high in calcium from yogurt and other calcium-rich foods is associated with a reduced risk of type 2 diabetes.
9) Sweetened Breakfast Cereals
It is not all cereal that is good for breakfast. Processed, refined and high sugary cereals are rich in carbohydrates, calories, and sugar. When making a choice of a cereal, it’s important to choose a cereal that is low in sugar and high in fiber. Make the smart choice.
10) Flavored Coffee Drinks
Several studies have shown that drinking coffee up to 8 ounces cups a day is associated with a dramatic lowering of the risk of getting type 2 diabetes. On the contrary, if you have diabetes, you should avoid caffeinated coffee as the caffeine has been shown to raise blood sugar levels slightly.
11) Honey, Agave Nectar, and Maple Syrup
It was observed that honey should only be used sparingly and certainly not as a remedy for diabetes. Maple syrup has anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants, which could make the effects of other sweeteners less harmful.
The study also has compared agave to table sugar, which is already known to be harmful to people with diabetes. While maple syrup does consist of a few minerals, that does not make it a good choice to consume because it does contain too much sugar.
12) Dried Fruit
A diabetic can eat dried fruits for nutrients like fiber, minerals, vitamins, and oxidants, because of dehydration, dry fruits are just higher in sugar per gram compressed in a smaller volume. When you eat dried fruit, excess added sugar is unnecessary, especially if you are a diabetic.
13) Full-Fat Dairy
Lactose is what gives milk its sweet taste and contributes a reasonable percentage of whole cow’s milk’s calories. There is every tendency that lactose will raise your blood glucose. However, a researcher stated that the insulin response to milk is “extreme,” and advises people concerned about diabetes to avoid milk products.
Recently Diagnosed with Diabetes?
SEE THE PRODUCTS YOU NEED TO GET STARTED
Worst Foods To Avoid For Diabetics? You must avoid these at all costs because these foods will ruin your body and your health. These are the foods that cause and add to diabetes. So make it a point to never ever eat any of these foods.
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds.
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight loss and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Excellent Accuracy: metene TD-4116 blood glucose meter and strips are produced with industry-leading chips and biosensor, equipped with industry-leading technologies, conducive to get accurate and reliable measurements
- No Coding: The blood sugar meter gets into measure status automatically once insert the blood sugar test strip to the bottom of the slot, easy to use and easy to read with large display for the senior
- Fast and Reduce Pain: This blood glucose monitor takes just 7s and 0.7µl blood to get the glucose value; The lancing device has 5 depth options to minimize wound and reduce pain
- Better Data Management: This glucometer stores the newest 450 blood glucose values and display the continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average; the measurements could be exported with windows-based software; help you track and manage your blood glucose better
- Diabetes Testing Kit 207 Piece Set: 100 glucometer strips, 100 30G lancets, 1 blood sugar meter, 1 lancing device, 1 control solution, 2 batteries, 1 protective wallet and 1 user manual; Please feel free to contact us if any problem when using this Diabetes testing kit
- Support cardiovascular health & blood sugar levels with the PurePremium blood sugar support dietary supplement, which contains essential vitamins, minerals and herbs.
- Support healthy glucose metabolism by adding our all-natural heart health supplement to your diet. Our advanced cardiovascular support capsules contain cinnamon, mulberry, vitamin c, vitamin e, magnesium, zinc, licorice root extract and manganese.
- Support blood cholesterol levels and make sure that your heart is healthy and strong. Support healthy insulin function and bolster your immune system against harmful free radicals.
- Our easy-to-swallow capsules support healthy glucose levels and your metabolism at the same time.
- Formulated in the USA. Every PurePremium product comes from an inspected, and GMP certified facility right here in the USA.
- INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS. Insufficient blood applied to test strip will result in wrong readings. Please hold the lancing device firmly against your fingertip for enough sample. Watch our instructional videos in our listings to optimize your testing results. Our friendly customer support will always be here to answer your questions and help to resolve your concerns. (30 Day Money Back Guarantee)
- EXCEEDS INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS. AUVON BGMs can function within ±10%, or ±10 mg/dl of laboratory values over 95% of the time, which is far beyond ISO 15197:2013 passing standard (within ±15% or ±15 mg/dl). The manufacturer is certified with CE mark, GMP, ISO 13485:2016, and ISO 15197:2013 without having any recall on the market in the past 14 years.
- CUTTING-EDGE TEST STRIPS. We use cutting-edge test strips enzymes for blood glucose measurements. Our test strips are produced with unique Automatic Carbon Printing Technique to ensure that the quality of each batch of strips could be relevantly much more stable, precise and accurate. Additionally, PROMISED 0.15USD/pcs would keep you no pressure to repurchase.
- KEEP TRACK OF DATA. Store your test results with time and date helps you track and manage your health while also keeping a continuous 7/14/30 average results. Automatic off means our device works longer without having to worry about wasting battery life.
- ALL IN ONE: 1 x AUVON DS-W Blood Glucose Monitor, 1 x battery, 50 x Blood Test Strips, 50 x 30 gauge Lancets, 1 x Lancing device, 1 x Meter User Guide, 1 x Test Strip User Guide, Our Exclusive Lifetime Warranty and Technical Support and Friendly Customer Service.
Last update on 2021-05-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API