A large number of people have experienced “hangers” at some point in their life — mood swings caused by low blood sugar levels. For people with diabetes, the mood swings tied with the common frustration and anger of having a chronic sickness can be hard to handle. This can also be referred to as “Low Blood Sugar Rage.” It’s a lot to manage, and at times it becomes difficult to deal with diabetes day after day for a life span.
Your partner’s diabetes might cause you to ignore or make excuses for annoying reactions, which is acceptable to some point. Though, rage that escalates into verbal, emotional, or physical abuse should never be accepted. This problem is treatable with self-care.
8 Warning Signs of Low Blood Sugar
The irregular blood glucose levels that distinguish uncontrolled diabetes can put into mood swings and direct to impulsive or even aggressive behavior. Hypoglycemia causes the mind to lack the sugar it needs to function at 100% which can direct weaken inhibitions.
This problem can significantly boost your arousing response which can make you extremely happy, worried, frightened, silly, angry, or paranoid. It is important to recognize the issue as early as possible that low blood sugar is taking place so that it can be handled properly. Some of the warning signs of low blood sugar levels are as follows:
There are some cases where people abruptly, inexplicably sense as if they are starving. This is because of blood sugar drop. One can easily manage their blood sugar by taking account of their carbohydrate intake. Try to eat between 15 and 25 grams (g) of carbohydrates with each snack and around 40 and 65 g at each meal. One can also seek help from experienced professionals and dieticians in this case.
2) Restless Nights
Sleep disturbances or restless nights are also some of the major warning signs of lower blood sugar levels. Symptoms such as night sweats, episodes of waking abruptly and crying out, nightmares, and feelings of confusion and unrest upon waking are because of lower blood sugar levels. Eating a snack before going to bed can help in reducing the frequency and ruthlessness of sleep disturbances.
When glucose levels of the body fall too low, your body releases the epinephrine hormones and cortisol. This signals the liver to discharge more sugar into the blood which results in anxiety and unease. Some of the other symptoms that are associated with this include shakiness, heart palpitations, and sweating.
4) Emotional Volatility
Abrupt emotional episodes and mood swings are the neurological indications of hypoglycemia and can incorporate stubbornness, feelings of depression, and irritability.
It is another common sign of low blood sugar levels in the body. It is one of the first signs of hypoglycemia and, occurs normally as a result of adrenaline. According to a study, it is observed that more than 84 percent of diabetic patients experience sweating when they are hypoglycemic. If you experience anything like this then immediately seek medical help to avoid any serious problem.
6) Difficulty with Concentrating
A large number of diabetic patients suffer from this problem. This is because your brain relies on blood sugar for power and energy. As a result of dropping levels of glucose, your brain might not function properly and it becomes difficult for a person to concentrate on something.
7) Vision Problems
Most people also face vision problems as a result of low blood sugar levels. If you suddenly start facing vision problems, then a drop in blood sugar might be the cause. According to a study, it is reported that blurred vision is the most general eye-related warning sign in people with lower blood sugar levels.
In case of lower blood sugar levels, your brain tries to conserve as much power as possible, which results in feeling lightheaded. In case you experience this general symptom of hypoglycemia then treat it quickly with 15 to 20 g of fast-acting carbs. In case the condition remains the same for more than 15 minutes then consider seeking medical help.
Most diabetic patients experience a common problem called “diabetic rage”. It is dangerous as it involves behaviors an individual is not knowingly aware of.
Physiologically, when a person’s blood sugar level fluctuates, drops, or spikes it can generate feelings of anxiety, depression, or anger that are difficult to control by a person who is experiencing them.
Moreover, the extremes of both hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia can lead to cognitive confusion, loss of self-control, or hallucinations.
How Should you Handle This?
Feelings and blood sugars are a two-way street. Understanding their relationship can help in your glucose control. The brain controls the emission of different stress hormones that can meddle with insulin’s efficacy. On the other hand, when high or low degrees of sugar contact the brain, the outcome might be impaired memory, outrage, fractiousness, depression, or slowed thinking.
As blood sugars rise, the levels of hormones that forestall depression might be brought down. This can demolish symptoms of depression and leave an individual with less interest in doing the things required to improve control, like the insightful selection of food, exercise, and rest.
A vicious sequence of growing sadness and worsening control can arise. There are some ways that can help you in controlling your mood swings as a result of low blood sugar. Have a look at the content below:
The first and the most important thing that can help in balancing blood sugar levels in the body is a proper diet. Watch your diet and eat consistently. Eat natural food items. Avoid consuming any food item that contains artificial sugar. Eat food items that are rich in fiber, carbohydrates, and proteins.
Figure Out Ways to Relieve Emotions
Different techniques are confirmed to provide liberation when you feel stress or anger. Some of the helpful techniques for releasing stress are meditation, yoga, and regular exercise. It also provides balance to the body and processes emotions.
Try going on a walk in your favorite park that is calm and filled with nature. Visiting such places can also make you feel light and stress-free. Try to talk about your feelings with your close ones as it also helps you in dealing with frustration and stress.
Take care of Yourself
Doing medication and eating healthy food items are some of the necessary components of keeping your blood sugar levels under control. As the hormones that control blood sugar levels of the body also control stress levels, so when your blood sugar level drops, you can get depressed and enraged, which in turn makes it difficult to control your blood sugar. Taking proper measures of your blood glucose levels can help you in learning how and when anger affects you.
Do not run “Out of Snacks”
Diabetic patients must keep emergency snacks on hand as their blood sugar levels can drop anytime. Never wait too long to eat, mainly if you know anger is your major issue.
Keep a Constant Glucose Monitor in Access
Nowadays a large number of tools and machines have been introduced in the market to keep account of your health. All such technologies make it much easier for people to monitor the blood sugar levels of their bodies and put off severe fluctuations. If mood swings are a problem for you then continuous monitoring might be the safest option.
Take Proper Measures
Unexpected and abrupt changes in blood glucose levels can be serious. Talk with your family members, caregivers, and neighbors in advance, and be sure every person knows what to do in case of an emergency. Calling clued-up paramedics for help is the safest option in case of an emergency.
How to Deal with Your Partner Who Experiences Mood Swings?
It’s not your duty to ensure your partner consistently eats well, however knowing the decisive role diet plays in managing mood for people with diabetes can help you comprehend their situation better. Do not underrate the significance of their diet and customary mealtimes.
In case your spouse struggles with handling moods as a result of irregular blood sugar levels then talk to them about it. Make a complete plan in place for emergency situations i.e. calling paramedics right away at the initial sign of an outburst or mood swing. However, your partner must be willing to take all the safety measures in case of an emergency.
However, if you are in a relationship that is insulting or abusive then it is imperative to tell everything to someone you trust. It could either be a friend, a counselor, some family member, or any healthcare supplier.
Abusive relationships are often secluded ones, where the mistreated partner lives in fear and secrecy. If you are in such a relationship then do not suffer. Telling others will help you in breaking the silence and enables you to seek help.
So these symptoms are what you should be looking out for with a Low Blood Sugar Rage. If you have diabetes then take all the proper measures to balance your blood sugar levels. Try to eat a good ratio of protein and carbohydrates. Avoid eating processed food items.
There are a lot of people who suffer from low blood sugar rage. Here in this article, you will get a complete guide about what are the reasons behind this problem and how one can control it.
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Rothchild, Sascha (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 336 Pages - 04/19/2022 (Publication Date) - G.P. Putnam's Sons (Publisher)
- ✅ QUICK AND EASY TO USE: Care Touch blood sugar test kit delivers results in only 5 seconds with just a 0.5µL blood sample. There is no programming needed since our blood sugar monitor kit automatically recognizes batch codes encrypted on Care Touch glucose test strips. Our state-of-the-art glucometer kit with strips and lancets includes single-touch strip ejection, so you can hygienically remove used diabetic test strips.
- ✅ EASY DIABETIC MONITORING: The blood sugar monitor kit with strips is capable of saving up to 300 readings. The blood glucose test kit also provides a continuous 14-day average of your readings, making glucose monitoring easy for you and your healthcare provider.
- ✅ PORTABLE AND HASSLE-FREE: The diabetic testing kit comes with a handy glucometer case, which means you can check your blood sugar level at home or anywhere else while staying organized. The 10-depth lancing device and lancets will help make blood sugar testing almost painless and hassle-free.
- ✅ COMPLETE DIABETIC SET: The glucose meter kit with strips and lancets includes: (1) Care Touch Blood Sugar Meter, (100) Blood Glucose Test Strips for diabetes, (1) Lancing Device, (100) Lancets for diabetes testing, (1) 3 Volt Lithium Battery, (1) Glucose meter case for your blood sugar tester and diabetic supplies
- ✅ WE CARE BECAUSE YOU CARE: You care about your health, and we care about you. Care Touch is committed to providing the best quality blood glucose monitoring systems. Our care doesn’t end when your sugar tester diabetes kit arrives at your door. We’re fully dedicated to your satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns about your glucose monitor kit with strips and lancets - contact us at any time.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- PUREHEALTH RESEARCH - Blood Sugar Formula 3 Bottles
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- A DOCTOR-APPROVED NATURAL FORMULA. Seventeen potent ingredients, each scientifically proven to have a significant effect at helping balance your glucose levels, improve glucose sensitivity, protect delicate cells from free radicals, and energy
- HIGH POTENCY. PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help you support healthy blood glucose levels
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: supports healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency support for 365 days a year; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health; daily support for healthy blood glucose levels, 365 days a year
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
Last update on 2022-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
4 thoughts on “Low Blood Sugar Rage – How to Never Dismiss these Symptoms”
This issue is very serious. I know some who suffered this and hers was really low. She almost looked like she was mad or something.
Was doing unusual behaviours and we wondered what was happening. After taking her to the hospital we came to realise it was her blood sugar.
It was awful, and I feel bad until this day for not helping her from the beginning. Thanks for sharing. It’s a good reminder.
Yes this is a very serious issue! Sometimes you have to wonder why someone is acting in a ragefully manner.
If they are a diabetic it would be wise to talk to them about their blood sugar levels. (That is if they don’t bite your head off 🙂
But controlling blood sugar is so important and I hope all diabetics check their blood sugar levels on a regular basis.
It’s wise to consult with your doctor if these conditions of rage are truly coming from your blood sugar levels.
I appreciate your comments. Thank you!
Indeed. I think even the healthiest of people can feel agitated and pretty much just angry at anything around them when they are running on an empty stomach and their sugar and salt levels are running low. However, how would yopu be able to tell if this is just a general hungry angry or whether or not you actually had a serious health problem?
Hi there! yes I agree that any of us can get a rather agitated and about anytime especially when you are hungry like that.
When your levels such as salt and sugar on the low side that requires you to be very agitated.
But it’s also really a serious issue to be in a rage from your blood sugar being on the very low side which is why you should constantly have your sugars checked and make sure that your sugars never get low enough to experience the symptoms.
And I guess you may not know whether it’s a hungry angry or are the problem which would be your doctors call.
That’s why we all have to take care of ourselves especially when it comes to diabetes.
Thank you for sharing! I appreciate your comments 🙂