Is Yogurt Good for Diabetics? Yogurt is very popular. But is it good for diabetes? Yogurt is not only excellent if you’re a diabetic, but also super healthy in so many other ways. By eating yogurt four to five times a week may lower your risk of developing type 2 diabetes according to recent studies.
Research done in the U.K. for a period of ten years revealed that folks who consumed the highest amount of yogurt had more than a 23% lower risk of diabetes than those who didn’t have any yogurt. Read on!
Why is Yogurt so Beneficial?
While yogurt is no magic potion to cure diabetes it does help with lowering your blood sugar and helping to control your diabetes. When additional studies were done and over 10,000 cases of people with type 2 diabetes were studied with their intake of dairy, there wasn’t an effect on diabetes. But looking specifically examining the yogurt intake they found an 18% reduction in the risk of type 2 diabetes with those one had one yogurt daily.
This isn’t necessarily any one particular type of yogurt, but previous studies showed that yogurt is good for those who maintained healthy body weight and the results did lower the risk for type 2 diabetes. That’s awesome news for diabetics.
What does yogurt provide?
Yogurt provides vitamin D, calcium, protein, and probiotics in most kinds. It has a much lower effect on glucose levels than you might think. It should be included in your diabetes diet as it also has a low glycemic index. Over 40 plain yogurts analyzed had a lower glycemic index than 50 of the yogurts that were sweetened. But this is not explained by the sugar content but rather by the ration of proteins to carbohydrates.
Yogurts, especially plain yogurts, have lower glycemic indexes than just about any other carbohydrate food. So you are much better off with yogurt as opposed to other carbohydrate and protein sources. This reduces your glycemic index of your diet and kelps your diabetes.
Errors to avoid at breakfast time
What do they say all the time? Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Right? Well it happens to be true and I’m willing to bet that most people don’t see it that way and don’t follow the right plan for eating breakfast that carries you throughout the day. With diabetes especially it’s important to eat the proper foods and keep your blood sugar even throughout your busy day and night.
But I believe that eating breakfast is the most important meal of the day and it should be a healthy one for you and even more so when you are a diabetic. I wanted to talk about this because yogurt is a great breakfast food, although you can have it at any time. These tips are all to help you keep your blood sugar under control. Let’s see if we can’t get this right! 🙂
* Coffee- I’ll be the first to admit that I am not a coffee drinker even though I love the smell of it! I do know that drinking it black is the best way to go. You want to cut back or cut out the sweeteners because they will negate the benefits of the coffee. It would also help to drink your coffee after you eat breakfast if possible.
* Breakfast bars- These bars that you can just eat fast when you’re on the run might not be as healthy as you think. Some brands may have a lot of carbs and sugars just as the candy bars do and that’s not good for your diabetes. I always read the labels for carbs and sugars so look for a granola bar that is high in protein and low in sugar. They even make frozen yogurt bars which are good too.
* Fiber- Fiber is always important for you especially in the morning. Once you lower your carb intake you can lose some of the fiber as well. Fiber is beneficial for diabetics because it helps to lower your cholesterol, has no effect on your blood sugar, and makes you feel full a lot quicker. Oatmeal, cereal and breads high in fiber and apples are good choices to stabilize your blood glucose. It’s to your advantage to control your blood sugars.
* Protein- It’s protein that you really want and not carbohydrates. Carbs by themselves can cause spikes in your blood sugar when ingest alone. But if you connect them with protein they can bind to each other and then it takes much longer to burn them up and digest. Toast with peanut butter, eggs, and fruit with yogurt are some great choices.
* Skipping breakfast- This is the worst choice you can make and I admit that I have been guilty of it. You may get away with this if you don’t have diabetes, but it’s not the case when you do have diabetes. If you skip breakfast, then your blood sugars will be higher throughout the day. At least have SOMETHING rather than nothing before you head out the door. Again yogurt, granola, protein bar, crackers and cheese will suffice.
Health benefits of yogurt
Yogurt comes in many different forms and Greek yogurt is the best choice. You have to be careful about the sugar and carb content in each particular yogurt. It is a dairy product that is made by the bacterial fermentation of milk. The bacteria that is used to make yogurt is known as yogurt cultures which are responsible for fermenting the lactose which is the natural sugar in milk and that some people are allergic to and are “lactose intolerant.”
* Heart health- With yogurt it’s all about the fat content as far as the health of your heart. Most of the fat it contains is saturated fat and while it used to be that it was unhealthy for you and could cause heart disease, that just isn’t the case now. There are still many low-fat and fat-free varieties available today. Research was done showing that yogurt may lower high blood pressure and increase your HDL good cholesterol.
* Improve digestion- Yogurt is easy to digest because of the active bacterial strains in the yogurt. The contents or probiotics in yogurt help in relieving diarrhea, inflammatory bowel disease, peptic ulcers, colon cancer, and constipation. Yogurt is an excellent choice!
* Vaginal infection- Women who are diabetic quite often experience vaginal infections due to candida. Having yogurt on a daily basis can prevent the candida infections by helping to lower the pH levels of the vaginal tract. Yogurt with probiotics can certainly help to make this situation and life a bit easier for diabetic women.
* Function of your brain- You can enhance your mood and cognitive function with the rich source of probiotics in yogurt. The large amount of potassium in yogurt maintains the balance of fluids in your body and is necessary for the health of your nerves. It helps in treating the nervous conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease, autism, and Parkinson’s disease.
* Hypertension- If you happen to have high blood pressure, then yogurt can help you. It benefits you to lowering the sodium reabsorption and helping to keep your pressure down. You should always check it at home whenever you can.
* Your bones- Because yogurt comes from milk, it contains large amounts of potassium, calcium, and magnesium. These minerals are excellent for protecting and maintaining bone health. This also means that this is good news from those suffering from rheumatism and osteoporosis. Getting ample amounts of calcium can help in lowering the incidences of osteoporosis in women with menopause.
* Immune system- Yogurt can reduce the occurrences of inflammatory diseases, infections, and allergies with the probiotic strains of bacteria it contains. There are scientists who claim that having yogurt can activate your “T” cells which is a type of cell produced by the thymus gland that aids in the immune response. This helps you to build a stronger immune system.
* Hair and skin care- Yogurt can cure rashes on your skin and cure acne when you apply it topically. It can close up your pores and decrease your dark circles and giving your skin a shiny glow. In addition to your skin yogurt treats your hair that may have dandruff and calms your scalp that can be itchy.
* Your mood- Many folks may not be aware that yogurt can be responsible for enhancing your mood. This can be a result of your digestive tract improving from the favorable effects of probiotics. Tests done with healthy women who consumed two servings daily of yogurt for one month showed more control when it came to emotions and less anxiety than those who didn’t have yogurt.
* Bad breath- Bad breath is bad news and can be embarrassing. It’s caused by gingivitis and doesn’t have to happen. You can fight it off with yogurt because it contains lactic acid which is a good bacteria that fights the gum disease.
* Omega 3’s- If you need more Omega 3 fatty acids to aid in fighting cognitive decline, weight loss, preventing cancer, regulating your blood pressure and reducing inflammation then yogurt is the answer because of it’s abundant amounts of Omega 3’s.
Greek yogurt is much healthier than regular yogurt. It is strained to remove the lactose and liquid whey. This makes it creamier and thicker. People with diabetes benefit from the fact that unsweetened Greek yogurt contains half of the carbohydrates and two times the protein than that of regular yogurt. I might caution however, that whole milk Greek yogurt contains three times as much fat as the regular yogurt. So choose the low or non-fat Greek yogurt.
Cautions about yogurts
Always read the labels when buying yogurt and Greek yogurt. There are carbohydrates and calories in any extra toppings that may be added. Nuts, granolas, and candies can add to your sugar intake and you don’t want that. It’s easier and better to buy the plain yogurts and add the toppings yourself.
Is Yogurt Good for Diabetics? Yogurt is really healthy for you and helps your diabetes and lowers your blood sugar if you’re careful with which ones you choose. I prefer Greek yogurt because it’s better for you. If you want to try something powerful that can really reverse your diabetes, I highly recommend this!
Thank you for reading and if you have any questions or comments please leave them below. I appreciate it!
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Rothchild, Sascha (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 336 Pages - 04/19/2022 (Publication Date) - G.P. Putnam's Sons (Publisher)
- ✅ QUICK AND EASY TO USE: Care Touch blood sugar test kit delivers results in only 5 seconds with just a 0.5µL blood sample. There is no programming needed since our blood sugar monitor kit automatically recognizes batch codes encrypted on Care Touch glucose test strips. Our state-of-the-art glucometer kit with strips and lancets includes single-touch strip ejection, so you can hygienically remove used diabetic test strips.
- ✅ EASY DIABETIC MONITORING: The blood sugar monitor kit with strips is capable of saving up to 300 readings. The blood glucose test kit also provides a continuous 14-day average of your readings, making glucose monitoring easy for you and your healthcare provider.
- ✅ PORTABLE AND HASSLE-FREE: The diabetic testing kit comes with a handy glucometer case, which means you can check your blood sugar level at home or anywhere else while staying organized. The 10-depth lancing device and lancets will help make blood sugar testing almost painless and hassle-free.
- ✅ COMPLETE DIABETIC SET: The glucose meter kit with strips and lancets includes: (1) Care Touch Blood Sugar Meter, (100) Blood Glucose Test Strips for diabetes, (1) Lancing Device, (100) Lancets for diabetes testing, (1) 3 Volt Lithium Battery, (1) Glucose meter case for your blood sugar tester and diabetic supplies
- ✅ WE CARE BECAUSE YOU CARE: You care about your health, and we care about you. Care Touch is committed to providing the best quality blood glucose monitoring systems. Our care doesn’t end when your sugar tester diabetes kit arrives at your door. We’re fully dedicated to your satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns about your glucose monitor kit with strips and lancets - contact us at any time.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- PUREHEALTH RESEARCH - Blood Sugar Formula 3 Bottles
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- A DOCTOR-APPROVED NATURAL FORMULA. Seventeen potent ingredients, each scientifically proven to have a significant effect at helping balance your glucose levels, improve glucose sensitivity, protect delicate cells from free radicals, and energy
- HIGH POTENCY. PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help you support healthy blood glucose levels
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: supports healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency support for 365 days a year; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health; daily support for healthy blood glucose levels, 365 days a year
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
Last update on 2022-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API