Red wine may be good for you, but that does not mean drinking it in excess. Red wine can help your diabetes and lower your blood sugar. An occasional glass of Merlot may protect type 2 diabetics from strokes and heart attacks. It’s all about knowledge and why red wine can be a positive for you, but also why it may be a negative as well. So, how Is Red Wine Good for Diabetics?
How Red Wine is Beneficial for Diabetes
If you’re a diabetic your arteries can become stiff which can lead to heart disease. There is a well known antioxidant in red wine called resveratrol.
Georgetown University Medical Center had research done that showed that the ability of immune molecules that were harmful in penetrating the tissues of the brain were actually reduced by resveratrol.
Resveratrol is also found in dark chocolate, peanuts, raspberries, and red grapes. It also has been shown to slow down the mental deterioration in Alzheimer’s patients. But the most important fact here is that resveratrol helps in lowering your blood sugar and that’s what is important here.
While there are tons of supplements and medications available today, where do you turn to? What works? What doesn’t work? My feeling is that medications just mask the problem of diabetes. The real issue is that you want to treat, control, and reverse diabetes by natural methods such as diet and exercise and not drugs prescribed by a physician.
I would rather do it the natural way and supplements are great alongside eating natural healthy foods and of course regular daily exercise. That’s where red wine comes in with resveratrol. It’s a natural ingredient that not only helps with diabetes, but offers many other health benefits in addition to diabetes which I will discuss shortly.
In other studies done, people who drank red wine every three days or so were helping to protect themselves against type 2 diabetes and had a 30% lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes than than others who only drank red wine once a week. I do want to caution right now that heaving consuming of alcohol is not recommended because that will actually increase your risk for type 2 diabetes.
So the numbers from studies are that women drinking approximately 9-10 drinks of red wine a week had an almost 60% less chance of developing type 2 diabetes than those who did not drink any. For men, 12-14 drinks of red wine a week showed a 44% less risk of type 2 diabetes. Have red wine, but only in moderation or it will backfire on you.
Health Benefits of Red Wine
1) Fight the Common Cold
Who hates having a cold? It’s the pits, isn’t it? I’ll do anything to avoid having one. You can do many things that can help you to stay away from getting all the miserables that come with getting a cold. Well red wine has antioxidants that can additionally help you avoid colds. I’m all for it. I know it isn’t the worst sickness but why not avoid it altogether if red wine can help!
2) Get the Weight off
So while resveratrol is the hero compound of red wine, there is another compound that helps in losing weight. The Journal of Biological Chemistry did research and found that a chemical compound called piceatannol is converted in our bodies from resveratrol to stop the growing of fat cells. Another way to help to lose weight? I’ll take it.
3) Protect your Memory Against Alzheimer’s
Resveratrol is amazing. This very powerful antioxidant can also stop the mental decline as we age by protecting your brain cells from damage. It’s worth trying to prevent Alzheimer’s disease. You’re also 25% less likely to develop dementia. Drink that red wine, but in moderation!
4) Liver Disease
If you want to cut your risk in half of developing fatty liver disease, then red wine should be your choice. Moderation is always the key. Drinking other alcohols that are heavier increase the risk of fatty liver disease by more than four times those who drank red wine.
Who doesn’t want to love a longer life? Red wine and resveratrol at your service. The polyphenol is the reason you can extend your life, but the fact is that anything in your diet containing polyphenols are believed to protect you against any chronic diseases that might try and attack. Red wine has a high content of polyphenols.
6) Treating Cancer
Quercetin is another antioxidant present in red wine that fights cancer cells. It helps to generate the death of cells of certain types of cancers most notably colon cancer. Men can cut their risk of prostate cancer by 50% if they consume between 4-6 glasses of red wine weekly.
It’s important with diabetes to have your vision checked frequently. Your eyes aren’t something to fool around about. Without care you could wind up with macular degeneration, diabetic neuropathy or blindness from your blood vessels being overgrown. The resveratrol in red wine can put a stop to that.
Believe it or not you can reduce your risk of depression by having red wine. It’s important to take note of the intake here. Research has shown that having between two and six glasses of red wine a week would lower your chance of depression. But more than six or seven glasses a week increases your chance of depression. So be careful about how much you have.
You don’t want these free radicals lurking in your body because of the serious diseases such as cancer and more that they can cause. Now while red wine can help, this is where white wine can do a better job.
10) Healthy Skin
The antioxidants in red wine are beneficial for your skin as well. They will help you with slowing down the aging process and helping to reduce wrinkles and aging spots to make your skin look wonderful. We should do whatever we can to make ourselves look younger than we are so doing something for our skin by having red wine should be a no brainer, right?
End your Diabetes Below
Sleep is so crucial for you to be able to function properly through the day and night. You should be getting 7-8 hours of good solid sleep each night. Having red wine before bed once in a while can give you positive results for sleeping soundly because of the melatonin it contains. Don’t overdo it and if you have insomnia or other sleep issues, it’s best to consult your physician.
Red wine can increase your smartness. Why is this so? Well, because a couple of glasses can allow you to be able to think more clearly by helping to relax your brain. Studies have shown that this moderate amount of wine aids in your creative mind of being able to solve problems. Maybe at the next lunch meeting with colleagues, a glass or two will help in solving some business issues?
13) The Boudoir
Want to spice up your sex life in bed? The compounds in red wine increase the sexual desires in women. Red wine increases the flow of blood to those intimate areas of the body which in turn leads to higher level of sexual desire. For men it also boost the testosterone levels, increasing the “arousal” for sex. That works for me!
14) Density of Bones
You want your bones to be strong and healthy and as we age, it’s not as easy to keep our bones from getting brittle. We’re always told to drink milk with calcium to build strong bones. Something that is exception for bone mineral density is silicon, an element found in red wine. Silicon decreases your risk of osteoporosis by increasing your density. Build those bones strong and keep them that way with red wine.
You want your cholesterol numbers to be right. Red wine can help your cholesterol because the resveratrol increases the HDL good cholesterol and decreases the LDL bad cholesterol. Again, you don’t have to drink a gallon of red wine. Just have a glass or two and have your numbers checked as well.
16) Blood Pressure
Red wine also benefits your blood pressure. Your blood pressure is extremely important so having your numbers in the healthy range is crucial. Red wine helps to lower your blood pressure. It would be a good idea to even have your own monitor for you to check yourself at home.
17) Dental Health
Your teeth and gums need to be healthy. The bacteria in your mouth that produces acid and plaque can be eliminated in many ways and red wine is one of them. Take care of your mouth the way you always do and see your dentist but meanwhile red wine should be on your list of dental treatments too.
18) Immune System
There are many ways to boost your immune system and keep it healthy. Vitamins, exercise, and eating healthy are perfect so keep it up! But red wine can help your immune system with fighting disease and infections. It’s important not to overdo it or you’ll get the reverse results!
19) Heart Disease
Again, the free radicals must be kept at bay because they can cause heart problems and cardiovascular disease. Tests on the consumption of red wine revealed that the phenols are effective in helping to prevent cardiovascular disease.
Side Effects of Red Wine
This is about consuming too much wine.
Moderate consumption of red wine is beneficial. But drinking too much can cause high blood pressure and lead to heart attacks and strokes. High blood pressure puts too much stress on the heart muscle and the result is a deterioration of the heart pumping blood.
This is extremely important! Pregnant women should NOT drink wine OR alcohol at ALL! There could be very harmful effects to the pregnancy such as birth defects and low birth weight. In men in can lower the testosterone level, affect the sperm, and cause erectile dysfunction as well.
So the bottom line here is that neither sex should be drinking before and during pregnancy. Consult your doctor, but I’m sure you’ll get the same advice except from a professional.
Not all people will have allergic reactions but the ones that do may experience skin rash, asthma, nausea, and nasal congestion. I’m sure that if you’ve been drinking wine, you would have already had reactions and it would be better to stay away then.
While there are many benefits to drinking red wine, it must be in moderation. Too much contains calories which makes you gain weight. You’ll feel a lot more hungry by drinking too much. The best thing that you can do is to have protein that is quality before you have wine.
Cirrhosis of the Liver
It’s fine to have red wine, but not 6 glasses a day! Too much of anything is never good. Your liver is important and it suffers when you drink in excess. You could wind up with cirrhosis of the liver or even liver cancer. Do what you have to in order to protect your liver.
This is always high on the list of what you want to obviously avoid. This is the worst side effect of wine consumption. For women or men, just have enough wine that is beneficial not harmful. Regular drinking of too much wine can cause breast cancer. Discuss this with your doctor. They are the professionals and know what’s best for you.
Final Thoughts about Red Wine
Why is Red Wine Good for Diabetics? Red wine lowers your blood sugar. Red wine also provides many benefits for you as you read, but it also has side effects and drawbacks if you consume too much. It’s important that you discuss everything you do with your physician or healthcare provider.
End your Diabetes Below
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds. Portable. Travel Size
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Dr. Mark Hyman reveals that the secret to losing weight and preventing not just diabetes but also heart disease, stroke, dementia, and cancer is balanced insulin levels.
- Mark Hyman M.D. (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 448 Pages - 12/30/2014 (Publication Date) - Little, Brown Spark (Publisher)
- Advanced Glucometer Kit: metene TD-4116 diabetes testing kit is equipped with advanced technologies, bring more accurate and reliable results and better experience for your blood sugar control; a control solution is included for checking the glucometer and strips
- Easy to Use: The blood glucose monitor is with code-free design, ready for testing once insert the strip correctly; the quick guide inside the package lists the steps to do a test clearly, easy to follow; any problem about operation, we are here ready to answer and provide glucose monitoring system instructional videos
- 7 Seconds And 0.7µl Blood: This blood glucose meter kit just need 0.7 microliter blood sample and 7 seconds to get you blood glucose value; Fast, minimize wound and less painful
- More Clearly Glucose Trend: 4 modes to record your glucose value according to different time, shows your glucose trend more clearly; 450 blood sugar values storage, continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average, which bring more convenient Diabetes management for you and your health provider
- User-friendly for The Aged: 4 reminder alarms could be set everyday to remind the aged to do a test in time, considerate; the display is more large than most glucose monitors, showing the results more clearly, easier to read for the aged
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
Last update on 2022-01-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API