Is Asparagus Good for Diabetes? Asparagus happens to be a huge weapon in the battle against diabetes because it helps to control blood sugars. Research by scientists revealed that you can raise your body’s production of insulin and help to maintain your blood glucose levels by having asparagus on a regular basis. I can certainly do that, can you?
What are the Benefits of Asparagus?
There are many other foods in addition to asparagus that are rich in fiber, such as chicory, garlic, and artichokes that are able to initiate the release of hormones in your gut and this helps to decrease your appetite. They strengthen the sensitivity to insulin and this helps to lead to a better control of glucose.
These foods are referred to as fermentable carbohydrates (fiber) which can aid in fighting type 2 diabetes and obesity. Fighting obesity is a tremendous factor against type 2 diabetes.
Asparagus is very beneficial for people with type 2 diabetes. It has anti-inflammatory properties and that fights diabetes and many other health issues. Chronic inflammation is associated not only with type 2 diabetes but cardiovascular and heart disease as well. Anti-inflammatory substances such as kaempferol, quercetin, and rutin are all excellent in fighting chronic inflammation.
Were you told as a child growing up to eat your vegetables? Of course. I was terrible when it came to vegetables back then but no more. I love most vegetables now and asparagus is no exception. It happens to be one of the healthiest foods on this planet. I eat it because of the diabetes, but for other health reasons as well.
So what makes asparagus so healthy in the first place? It has high fiber and protein. It is an excellent source of the all eight of the B vitamins from B1 to B12. They are vital to our health and every individual one has an important role that is responsible for your body to run efficiently and evenly.
They are responsible for converting the food we eat into energy and in addition help to metabolize starches and sugars. This makes them a vital role of managing your blood sugar. This is the best way to lower your blood sugar and it really works!
Unfortunately type 2 diabetes is a major concern worldwide and is responsible for 90% of all diabetes issues. It’s all about your carbohydrate and calorie intake. The best way to combat this is to increase your diet more into fruits and vegetables such as asparagus. One of the reasons that it is so good for you as a diabetic is because it has a low glycemic index and is naturally low in carbs.
There’s more to it because asparagus contain so many vitamins (A,B,C and K) and minerals including manganese, zinc, and selenium and beta-carotene and iron as well. How can you not want to consume something as healthy as asparagus is to fight blood sugar levels and diabetes?
It sure is better than taking medication for the rest of your life. When I go out to eat, I will always order asparagus if it is on the menu. But at home I like to have it at least three or four times a week!
More About Asparagus in the Video Below
Top 15 Health Benefits of Asparagus
1) Vitamin K- Asparagus is an excellent source of vitamin K along with many other leafy green vegetables. You may think calcium when it comes to the health of your bones and that’s wonderful but vitamin K is also beneficial for your bones. It aids your body in absorbing calcium as well.
2) Enhances your mood- I talked about the vitamin B family earlier. Well folate is a B vitamin that can be very beneficial in preventing depression and being irritable. This is because people with low levels of vitamin B12 and low levels of folate tend to suffer from depression and moodiness. You also get a double bonus with asparagus because it contains the amino acid known as trytophan which has been shown to vastly improve your mood. I’m all for being in a better mood!
3) Vision care- Asparagus contains vitamin A as well as the vitamin B family which are both essentially good for your eyes and your vision. Vitamin A can protect your retina from any oxygen free radicals that can cause damage to your retina. The reduction of night blindness and cataracts is possible with glutathione, an amino acid contained in asparagus.
4) Urine production- Because asparagus is a natural diuretic it can aid in increasing more urine in your body. This reduces the concentration of unused fluids and salts by ridding your body of more water. Increasing the production of urine is beneficial because any excess fluids and swelling can be removed. This relieves excess wear and tear on the kidneys and also helps to prevent urinary tract infections.
5) Digestion- What is crucial for digestive health? Right! Fiber! Asparagus has lots of fiber, both soluble and insoluble. There is a specific fiber in asparagus known as inulin (no, not insulin) and helps to promote bacteria that are healthy to grow in your gut. The bottom line here is that you should have no constipation, be protected from colon cancer, and have normal bowel movements.
6) Pregnancy- If you are expecting you should certainly be eating asparagus during your gestation period. The high levels of folate are extremely important while you are pregnant because folate will help tremendously in what’s called “nucleic acid synthesis” that is required for rapid growth during pregnancy.
Here’s why this is so vital: You have less chance of low birth weight, miscarriage, premature delivery, and retardation. This applies to the guys too! (Okay, just the eating asparagus part) 🙂
7) Skin health- Asparagus for skin health? Yes! It can get rid of even the severe type of acne with the compound niacin it contains. Asparagus treats skin disorders that are related to the skin and also reduces irritation and inflammation. It has an antioxidant that I previously mentioned called glutathione that helps in reversing the aging effect that the sun can do to your skin over time. Asparagus can help to heal wounds on your skin much faster too.
8) Your brain- You can have less of a risk of developing diseases such as Huntington’s disease, Parkinson’s, and Alzheimer’s because of the folate in asparagus. It can protect you against celebral syndrome, but is also makes sure that your nerve endings are protected by the proper development of myelin sheaths (an insulating sheath which is composed of myelin that surrounds the nerve fibers).
Asparagus has vitamin B6 which protects against cognitive impairment and homocysteine levels that help prevent neuron damage in your nervous system.
9) Cholesterol- We all know by now that high cholesterol is not good for you. (Unless you’ve been living under a rock) 🙂 You want to do everything you can to prevent the buildup of cholesterol and cardiovascular disease. Because asparagus contains niacin it helps in controlling your HDL and LDL levels, your triglycerides and your chances of heart disease.
10) Immune system- Your immune system is your protection against disease. It needs to be strong in order to ward off germs, bacteria, viruses, and all the bad guys. You don’t want to be in danger of getting any disease and you must make sure your immune system is strong. Studies showed that a low level of vitamin A could be linked to an increased risk for infections.
11) Thyroid gland- Your thyroid gland is important to your health. It’s job is to secrete thyroid hormones, such as thyroxin so that your bodily functions like sleeping, eating and your body temperature are controlled. When your thyroid is working sufficiently and is secreting too much or not enough hormones, then your body is negatively affected and you experience such things as gaining or losing weight, insomnia, irritability, or weakness in your muscles.
12) Hearing issues- You can expect to have issues with your hearing as you get older. Folate with vitamin A can help to lower your risk for hearing loss due to aging. Women who are postmenopausal can have a reduced bone density that is linked to hearing loss. Tinnitus is a ringing in the ears and very annoying but can be prevented by the antioxidants in asparagus.
13) Energy levels- One of the most important ingredients in asparagus is the vitamin B contents. Vitamin B boosts your energy levels by supporting your thyroid function and it makes you feel less fatigued, more energetic and alert. It helps with toning down the chronic fatigue syndrome with magnesium and can also stop low levels of iron with the copper it contains.
14) Epilepsy- This is not an easy thing to experience. A neurological disorder that causes seizures, it can often be defined as uncontrollable spasms of the body that are painful that can limit your body activity. Asparagus is an excellent remedy for this situation because it is known for having herbal therapeutic benefits.
15) Carcinogens- Free radicals are the causes behind many cancers and we need antioxidants to prevent them. The way to destroy carcinogens in the body and to reuse the antioxidants is by the sulfur in glutathione in asparagus. It is specifically effective in protecting against a range of lung, bone, pancreatic, colon, cervical, and breast cancers. The antioxidants are a perfect way to ward off chronic oxidative stress and inflammation that are responsible for these cancers.
Side effects of asparagus are gas and a fruity smell of your urine. Nothing to be concerned about but I just thought I should mention it. I get both of these when I have asparagus but it’s no big deal considering what benefits that it offers! Asparagus and diabetes are connected because asparagus is very beneficial for type 2 diabetes.
Is Asparagus Good for Diabetes? While asparagus is very healthy for you and can help to lower your blood sugar, it sometimes may not lower them enough.
If you have any comments or any questions, please feel free to leave them below. I would appreciate it and I will respond as soon as possible. Thank you for reading and please pass this article on to others who may need help! Thank you and have a great day!
- Advanced Glucometer Kit: metene TD-4116 diabetes testing kit is equipped with advanced technologies, bring more accurate and reliable results and better experience for your blood sugar control; a control solution is included for checking the glucometer and strips
- Easy to Use: The blood glucose monitor is with code-free design, ready for testing once insert the strip correctly; the quick guide inside the package lists the steps to do a test clearly, easy to follow; any problem about operation, we are here ready to answer and provide glucose monitoring system instructional videos
- 7 Seconds And 0.7µl Blood: This blood glucose meter kit just need 0.7 microliter blood sample and 7 seconds to get you blood glucose value; Fast, minimize wound and less painful
- More Clearly Glucose Trend: 4 modes to record your glucose value according to different time, shows your glucose trend more clearly; 450 blood sugar values storage, continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average, which bring more convenient Diabetes management for you and your health provider
- User-friendly for The Aged: 4 reminder alarms could be set everyday to remind the aged to do a test in time, considerate; the display is more large than most glucose monitors, showing the results more clearly, easier to read for the aged
- Dr. Marlene Merritt (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 100 Pages - 10/26/2021 (Publication Date) - Primal Health, LP (Publisher)
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- PUREHEALTH RESEARCH - Blood Sugar Formula
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- A DOCTOR-APPROVED NATURAL FORMULA. Seventeen potent ingredients, each scientifically proven to have a significant effect at helping balance your glucose levels, improve glucose sensitivity, protect delicate cells from free radicals, and energy
- HIGH POTENCY. PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help you support healthy blood glucose levels
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, FOUR BENEFITS: supports normal blood sugar levels; supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; supports insulin levels; supports heart health
Last update on 2021-10-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API