Beets are not only an excellent choice for lowering blood sugar and diabetes, but offer an endless list of health benefits. Beets are safe for your blood sugar level. They are low on the glycemic index and that reduces any risk of raising your blood glucose level. So just How Are Beets Good for Diabetics?
The Benefits of Beets for Diabetes
A great majority of diabetes patients suffer from high blood pressure. Beets are known to lower your blood pressure and therefore help with your diabetes.
Beet juice helps to improve your exercise performance and tolerance. Exercise is very important if you’re a diabetic and you are looking to lose weight. This is a must!
Keeping your weight down aids in your blood sugar levels so beets are good for you in this aspect. Studies were done on the effect of beet juice on different exercise and heart related issues. Beets are beneficial for your heart.
Regular consuming of beet juice can decrease your vascular resistance when resting and during the time periods of enhanced delivery of oxygen and during exercise. This gives a longer time period of exercising before fatigue sets in. That’s very healthy for you.
Vitamin C is another vital and powerful antioxidant found in beets. Research revealed that blood glucose levels and lipid levels in type 2 diabetics were significantly improved because of the vitamin C in beets. It just goes to show how important vitamin C really is.
Diabetics tend to have low levels of antioxidants including vitamin C. High blood glucose levels tend to hamper the uptake of vitamin C so it’s vital to get plenty of vitamin C from foods that are rich in it. It’s always better to get your vitamins from food sources than supplements.
Beets also contain magnesium which is an extremely powerful antioxidant. This is important because too many folks are deficient in magnesium and that is not good news because it plays a huge role in controlling your blood sugar. If you are deficient in magnesium, this can lead to insulin resistance and this means you require more insulin to control and maintain your blood sugar levels. Consuming more beets can help you with getting more magnesium.
3 Things that Beets do to Help with Diabetes
Reducing Nerve Damage
Studies were done that showed that the antioxidant alpha-lipoic acid can possibly reduce the nerve damage that causes numbness and pain in the feet and in the hands from diabetes. The studies also revealed that beets can possibly prevent your cells from damage. But the only way may be through injections of the alpha-lipoic acid.
Lowering Your Blood Pressure
Beets and beetroot contain nitrates that help in lowering your blood pressure which is very common in folks with type 2 diabetes. The nitrates are beneficial in increasing the ability of the blood vessels in expanding and improving the blood flow. This is a much better choice in lowering blood pressure and controlling diabetes than turning to medications. Medications only mask the problem.
Raise the Performance of Exercising
Exercise is vital in helping to decrease the risk of contracting diabetes, cardiovascular issues, and heart disease. Beetroot juice has a definite advantage to improving exercise tolerance, and for the ability of your muscles to better absorb oxygen during your exercise. Beetroot juice and exercise are a great combination.
Total Health Benefits of Beets
Regulates Blood Sugars
The kind of beets we’re looking at here to reduce hyperglycemia are sugar beets. But consuming beetroot juice can also suppress a sugar crash that can occur hours after a meal.
A crystalline compound known as a betaine found in beet juice helps to stimulate functions of your liver and therefore keep it healthy. Because beets contain iron, the B vitamins, antioxidants, and calcium it makes them about the best food for your liver. Beets additionally help your liver because they thin out your bile which allows an easy flow through your small intestine and liver. It’s important to keep your liver as healthy as possible.
Reports revealed that eating beets regularly can improve the quality of your blood and also improve digestion too. If you unfortunately have an obstruction of your spleen or liver, then the juice of white beets can be a solution by opening them up again. Red beets on the other hand are useful in treating any illnesses that are connected to your blood and digestive system.
So because beets are high in fiber they aid in bowel movement, can treat diverticulitis, and cover you when it comes to your overall digestive system. Why not eat beets to help you digest properly?
Level of Antioxidants
Beets increase your level of antioxidants, in particular the betalains and polyphenols. Studies done showed that the betalain antioxidant has very potent anti-inflammatory properties that could improve cognition and treat oxidative stress. Antioxidants are just so important for you.
Beets have been used as an aphrodisiac for centuries. One reason for this is that they have adequate amounts of a mineral known as boron which is directly associated with the production of sex hormones.The tryptophan it contains relates to happiness and the betaine helps to relax and calm your mind. These help you to “get in the mood.” Beets for better sex? Count me in!
Check Out the Video Below for More about Beets & Diabetes
One of the best, if not the best foods in the world for fighting inflammation is beets. And the reason for this is that they contain so much fiber, betalains, and folate which fight inflammation. One study revealed that beetroot extract was able to help treat inflammation in your kidneys. I want to protect my kidneys, don’t you? Nobody wants dialysis.
Again, it’s a form of betalain called betanin in beetroot extract that can have the ability to prevent prostate and breast cancer. Additional research proved that that beetroot was found to prevent skin cancer and lung cancer. There were treatments done for leukemia with carrot extract and beetroot juice taken together and they were successful in helping the treatments. Sounds like a great combination!
It’s basic knowledge that anemia is caused by a lack of iron. Since beets are rich in iron, they make perfect sense to be the choice of vegetables to help treat anemia. Again, folate comes in as a fighter against anemia as well. Beet greens are loaded with iron as well and help to fight anemia according to the Medical Center at the University of Maryland.
Levels of Energy
What a way to boost and energize your levels of energy! Beetroot has some awesome positive effects on your muscles. Your muscles become more fuel efficient and help to further improve your stamina.
It’s the nitrates in beets that are responsible for hormones, improving your blood flow and your cells and these are the major role players with increasing your energy levels.
Since beets contain carotenoids and vitamin A, they can help you from inside your body with aging. Because they also contain the powerful antioxidant lutein, beets are able to combat wrinkles and free radicals.
One great feature of beetroot is the fact that it’s a perfect weight loss food because of its sweetness. This makes it a good choice as a substitute for whatever artificial sweetener that you’ve been using. An excellent part of beets is the fiber it contains which is awesome for losing weight.
Supports Brain Health
Beets are responsible for improving your brain’s neuroplasticity which is the capacity of your nervous system to change its reactivity as the result of numerous activations. This helps to improve the area of the brain affected by dementia. It is all about the nitrates once again.
These nitrates present in beets get converted into nitric oxide inside your body and this makes it possible for your brain cells to communicate with one another to improve on your brain health and also improve blood flow to the brain as well.
Because the nitrates in beets help in lowering your blood pressure, this reduces your risk of strokes and heart attacks. For folks that are older, having beet juice for a full week improves your blood pressure and endurance and less risk of heart problems. With beet juice you can avoid any obstruction of blood supply to tissues in the heart. (The medical term is called myocardial infarction)
Beets can protect your eyes and help to avoid macular degeneration and cataracts because of the antioxidant lutein. Beets also contain many phytochemicals that help your nerve tissues and your eyes as well.
Beets are delicious tasting and can be eaten in a variety of ways. Even though this may not be a health benefit, it is still important. You can have them as steamed, juiced, pickled, and roasted. In addition you can also buy the canned ones that are precooked.
This micronutrient acts as an antioxidant and is very good at fighting diseases. High levels of selenium can significantly lower your risk of type 2 diabetes. Beets contain selenium and they can lower your risk of diabetes by 25%.
You can get nerve damage from certain conditions such as physical injuries, malnutrition, and disease. But studies show that the antioxidants in beets can aid in decreasing your nerve damage if you’re a diabetic.
The vitamin C in beetroots is an excellent way of preventing symptoms of asthma. This antioxidant also helps in defending against the effect of free radicals in your body. Vitamin C also aids in boosting your immune system. It stimulates your white blood cells to become more active so that they can do their job of being your line of defense against the bacteria, viruses, and diseases that try and get through.
Side Effects of Beets
Beets are very healthy for you as long as you don’t have them in excess. Be careful if you are prone to having kidney stones. Small crystals can form from the oxalates in beets and can lead to painful kidney stones.
This might scare or shock you if your urine or stool is red or pink in color. Your first reaction might be, “Oh my God, it’s blood!” But it is actually harmless and just from the color of the beets so don’t be concerned.
This is another thing you do not want to suffer from. The oxalates in beets, like in the kidney stones, can lead to gout which is arthritis that builds up in your body from too much uric acid so be careful with beets as far as the quantities that you have.
Please check with your doctor about anything different you decide to do. They are the professionals and know you and your body better than anyone else. It’s better to be safe than sorry so make sure that you do this. Let him or her know what your plan is and have them sign off on it.
How Are Beets Good for Diabetics? Beets are important and can really be healthy for you. They are good for lowering your blood glucose numbers and extremely healthy for you overall. Make sure this superfood is a part of your diet.
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds. Portable. Travel Size
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Dr. Mark Hyman reveals that the secret to losing weight and preventing not just diabetes but also heart disease, stroke, dementia, and cancer is balanced insulin levels.
- Mark Hyman M.D. (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 448 Pages - 12/30/2014 (Publication Date) - Little, Brown Spark (Publisher)
- Advanced Glucometer Kit: metene TD-4116 diabetes testing kit is equipped with advanced technologies, bring more accurate and reliable results and better experience for your blood sugar control; a control solution is included for checking the glucometer and strips
- Easy to Use: The blood glucose monitor is with code-free design, ready for testing once insert the strip correctly; the quick guide inside the package lists the steps to do a test clearly, easy to follow; any problem about operation, we are here ready to answer and provide glucose monitoring system instructional videos
- 7 Seconds And 0.7µl Blood: This blood glucose meter kit just need 0.7 microliter blood sample and 7 seconds to get you blood glucose value; Fast, minimize wound and less painful
- More Clearly Glucose Trend: 4 modes to record your glucose value according to different time, shows your glucose trend more clearly; 450 blood sugar values storage, continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average, which bring more convenient Diabetes management for you and your health provider
- User-friendly for The Aged: 4 reminder alarms could be set everyday to remind the aged to do a test in time, considerate; the display is more large than most glucose monitors, showing the results more clearly, easier to read for the aged
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
Last update on 2022-01-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API